SaltCritters.com

HOB 40 Breeder***Update 5/6.... New Growth Pics!

Roshan8768

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looking good. I love all those anemones :)

Thanks B) . Need to find somebody who'll take my LTA... just not a good fit for my tank.

This is probably from a month or two ago, and the quality isn't great because of all the glare I get... my tank is located in a corner between 2 windows. Just wanted to share a video:

• 3 weeks later...

So some updates... everything in the tank looks meh. Just got back in town after 3 weeks and all the fish seem happy, but the anemones and coral for the most part aren't 100%. The good news is no algae issues to speak of, and the new fish seem to have fit in well. Also added the ORA orange monti from my pico

IMAG0379_zps7173754e.jpg

I think my female clown has been beating up on my smaller BTA... might move it to my pico to give it some space.

Here's the damage... not really sure why, checked all my levels and they appear to be fine as of now. The only thing I can think of is that I'm not running any chemical media on this tank right now, so if there's a contaminant or chemical warfare going on, they could be suffering the brunt of it.

IMAG0381_zps01660631.jpg

True perc... his last stripe doesn't go all the way around

IMAG0383_zps373962e3.jpg

IMAG0384_zps4e2e2dfa.jpg

Added my first SPS pieces... a purple stylo?? and the ORA orange digitata. The PE on the digi is not as great as the piece that I left in my pico, so it may not be as huge a fan of the T5 lighting as it is of the LEDs. The stylo looks good so far, hopefully I'll be moving it up soon and securing it to the rockwork

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may have figured out what the problem was with the plate coral. I hadn't done a water change in about 10 weeks, so it may have been a lack of some trace element. Also... I dose two part to keep my cal & alk in balance, and the salinity had built up a little from the 1.024 that I normally keep it at to 1.026. I don't have an ATO, so someone has to topoff, and if said someone forgets to for a couple of days, it's usually not a big deal because the coral can handle the swing from 1.024 -1.026. However, with the raised system salinity, it was now swinging from 1.026-1.028/1.029!!! for the last 4-5 weeks. Fixed this with a water change yesterday, and the coral is already starting to recover... will update with progress

So in other news, as posted in an other thread on here my coralife fixture went out last Friday so my reef has been lit by a 2x24 t5ho fixture that usually lights my planted. Currently have switched from that to a 2x54 t5ho loaned to me from the LFS while my Razor comes in. Also did a 5 gallon W.C. last weekend and dosed the alk. Portion of my two part to raise alkalinity to 11. I am now able to keep my PH above 8 for the first time since setting up the tank.

Alk: 11 dKH

Cal: 440 ppm

pH: 8.2-8.3

cool tank! I really like the two island-aquascape :) and those anemones look awesome

Thanks!

In other news my RBTA seems ready to split. I think the change in lighting as well as a couple of weeks without feeding followed by a large meal has seen it open to 5-6 inches across the last couple of days, easily the largest I have ever seen it. I will do my best to document the progress so you guys can see it happen. Here's the beginning of the process

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/3bd94f22-7e2b-4176-ada0-c371ba9af5ea_zps8d45b7ab.jpg.html'>3bd94f22-7e2b-4176-ada0-c371ba9af5ea_zps

Not too much going on, having a hard time keeping my salinity in check.... seems to rise over time even though I top up to the same mark. Some of the LPS has taken a hit,but everything else looks great. Still waiting on my razor to come in... ordered about 2 weeks ago.

image_zps3f0be0fe.jpg

And just for fun... a shot of my freshwater

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/temporary_zps3b084219.jpg.html'>temporary_zps3b084219.jpg

Are you using a refractometer and topping off with RO/DI? What additives are you using?

Yes, the refractometer is calibrated and working as it should. I use RODI for topping off... I did dose some alk (2 part) to stabilize my values, but don't really dose anything on a regular basis. I'm going to do a water change and get the salinity down to 1.024.... right now it's sitting at 1.026-1.027 even when topped off to the appropriate level.

Tell me how it goes with the Razor. If/when I have a next build, it'd be a toss-up between the Razor and the Reefbreeders.

I debated on the Reefbreeders, but I would have to get the Photon. Their fixtures are solid, but I don't want to hang them!!! They don't really have any other mounting options so I decided to go with the Razor. Plus the razor is just sleeker :D B)

Make sure you wait 1 to 2 minutes for the refractometer to temperature adjust. For that matter, make sure it's a temp adjusting one. 6 months ago I thought I wa having saliity issues but it ended up being an unreliable refractometer. I purchased the 35ppt calibration fluid (the ONLY thing you should use to calibrate) and it would read it differently every time. My new one is rock solid.

You probably know this, but be sure to never calibrate with distilled or RODI water, always use the calibration fluid. THe instructions for the device may say to use distilled, but they are wrong. :)

No the refractometer is good took it in to a LFS and checked several of their systems and got the same numbers. I think the last couple of weeks have been pretty rough on the corals with the high salinity swings as well as some issues with alk swings due to low mag. I've straightened out the water chemistry issues, but the salinity is still a work in progress. Plan on doing a w.c. today to fix it

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my light!

WP_20140118_015_zpsd2ad210f.jpg

Over my tank:

WP_20140118_007_zps2fc8134f.jpg

FTS:

WP_20140118_008_zpsc381d478.jpg

BTA (with some xenia and aiptasia nasties in the corner)

WP_20140118_009_zps839604f2.jpg

Candy Cane:

WP_20140118_010_zpsfa385d8c.jpg

$5 Frags that I picked up... some kind of mushroom and a couple different zoas. Any IDs?

WP_20140118_012_zps786e09d3.jpg

WP_20140118_014_zpsbd89406e.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the light. Set up was a breeze and my corals already look more colorful under it. There are no spotlighting/disco effect issues and it isn't really this purple in person. I currently have it ramping up to 40% Whites and 100% Blues at noon. My Xenia is already changing its color and shape under the higher PAR- I would say that it is now more silver than pink and the polyps are slightly smaller. Also both anemones are bubbling up nicely 24/7 7 days a weeks which is new for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Would like to know if you think that the razor you have is sufficient for a 40b or would you have gone for the larger one? Good coverage everywhere or a little too much shadows/shading?

Thanks!

Would like to know if you think that the razor you have is sufficient for a 40b or would you have gone for the larger one? Good coverage everywhere or a little too much shadows/shading?

Thanks!

I have the 160 watt model which is 27 inches... to the best of my knowledge they don't have another model that is larger that would fit on a 40 breeder. I havnt had it long enough to comment on growth, but I'm happy with the light... more than enough for zoas and LPS on the edges

• 4 weeks later...
TheTeenReefer
Finally got my light!

WP_20140118_015_zpsd2ad210f.jpg

Over my tank:

WP_20140118_007_zps2fc8134f.jpg

FTS:

WP_20140118_008_zpsc381d478.jpg

BTA (with some xenia and aiptasia nasties in the corner)

WP_20140118_009_zps839604f2.jpg

Candy Cane:

WP_20140118_010_zpsfa385d8c.jpg

$5 Frags that I picked up... some kind of mushroom and a couple different zoas. Any IDs?

WP_20140118_012_zps786e09d3.jpg

WP_20140118_014_zpsbd89406e.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the light. Set up was a breeze and my corals already look more colorful under it. There are no spotlighting/disco effect issues and it isn't really this purple in person. I currently have it ramping up to 40% Whites and 100% Blues at noon. My Xenia is already changing its color and shape under the higher PAR- I would say that it is now more silver than pink and the polyps are slightly smaller. Also both anemones are bubbling up nicely 24/7 7 days a weeks which is new for me.

Mushroom is a green hairy mushroom maybe? Kinda looks like it.

Mushroom is a green hairy mushroom maybe? Kinda looks like it.

Yes, I would say that it's some kind of hairy mushroom. The colors have changed a little, it's blue with white dots on the disk with a green rim.

Archived