Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

A Carib.Castle: Naughty Nibblers... June '15 pics/vid, Razors, 125g, diy LR

eitallent

I've been using seachem reef crystals and there hasn't been any precipitation. Though I use an air stone to mix the water for twenty-four hours before using it.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I've had several jawfish over the life of this tank, and none of them have ever actually settled in. They move from hole to hole to hole and bury anything on the sandbed, and take any corals they can as decorations. :lol:

I've been using seachem reef crystals and there hasn't been any precipitation. Though I use an air stone to mix the water for twenty-four hours before using it.

Hello, C. Do you do it only before you mix to prep the RODI or after the salt is in the water? RS specifically mentions that there should be no aeration. No fuss no muss. :)

I've had several jawfish over the life of this tank, and none of them have ever actually settled in. They move from hole to hole to hole and bury anything on the sandbed, and take any corals they can as decorations. :lol:

That is funny. I have seashells and little pieces in there for them to build their burrows. Right now they are frozen in the tank. Only their eyes move.

I also glued macro algae to my homemade plugs and paced them around the tank. The emeralds tasted them and went right back to eating hair algae. One little guy snipped a blade of Caulerpa prolifera and scuttled under an over hang to taste his new-found treat. He decided to nibble on it for a little while and then discarded it for his old faithful hair algae.

2013-04-23_17-54-20_379_zpsfcd43c13.jpg

I am glad you like the pics. I went out and took those just for you, my country-life loving friend! :)

The Geese are okay if you grab a switch and keep them at bay. I love them because they are so protective of their families and they sure put out the alarm if any one walks, runs, cycles or even drives by slowly. I always know when someone is near. :lol:

Oh, chickens are soooo wonderful. Their soft cluck-clucking is so comforting to me. However, I do not know when the term "chicken feed" meant that something was not worth a lot of money, because chicken feed is expensive!! Luckily ours are free ranging, but they still eat a lot of feed. It is cheaper to buy organic eggs from the store but they are NEVER like our chicken's eggs. Our eggs have an deep yellow yolk and the whites are firm not runny. Mmmm...

I would love to see you get some chickens and have a pink palace for them. :D

Awww...I love being your "country-life loving friend" :happy:

We're seriously considering chickens again LOL.

Love the new jawfish!!!! And the macro looks great in the tank!!!! Still have all the chromis? They are so pretty!!!!

I make twenty gallon batches of RO water and mix the salt into it; which is stored in a closed black rain barrel with aeration to keep it from getting stagnate. I bleach the barrel after each batch is finished to limit contamination. The mixing is just a side effect of the aeration. :)

Hello, C. Do you do it only before you mix to prep the RODI or after the salt is in the water? RS specifically mentions that there should be no aeration. No fuss no muss. :)

That is funny. I have seashells and little pieces in there for them to build their burrows. Right now they are frozen in the tank. Only their eyes move.

I also glued macro algae to my homemade plugs and paced them around the tank. The emeralds tasted them and went right back to eating hair algae. One little guy snipped a blade of Caulerpa prolifera and scuttled under an over hang to taste his new-found treat. He decided to nibble on it for a little while and then discarded it for his old faithful hair algae.

2013-04-23_17-54-20_379_zpsfcd43c13.jpg

Awww...I love being your "country-life loving friend" :happy:

We're seriously considering chickens again LOL.

Love the new jawfish!!!! And the macro looks great in the tank!!!! Still have all the chromis? They are so pretty!!!!

I like my chickens. They are constantly scratching for tasty little morsels. At this time of year, when flying insects become abundant, I often laugh at the funny scenes of chickens running after them beaks wide open.

The littlest Chromis did not make it past the fourth day. He seemed very weak and the delay in shipping did not do him any favors. I got a replacement for him when I ordered the jawfish. Now, again the smallest one, was just not growing like the others and he passed away the day before yesterday. The replacement is big! He had no trouble settling in and joined the group eating the baby brine.

I make twenty gallon batches of RO water and mix the salt into it; which is stored in a closed black rain barrel with aeration to keep it from getting stagnate. I bleach the barrel after each batch is finished to limit contamination. The mixing is just a side effect of the aeration. :)

I like the idea of disinfecting the SW container. I will do that also. I also have to rinse out all the sediment. :P Blegh! Thanks for the tip.

Can I really be this lucky? The Yellowhed jawfish are shacking up in the same burrow! :haha:

Knocking on every wood surface hoping they will eat and prosper! I would be so disappointed if they both do not make it. Please send your positive vibes this way.

Oh, thank you, thank you. :scarry:

You know how I was freaking out about the neons, so of course I will be hoping your jawfish stay healthy and pair up! Sounds like you seriously lucked out that they're in a burrow together! Exciting!

I like my chickens. They are constantly scratching for tasty little morsels. At this time of year, when flying insects become abundant, I often laugh at the funny scenes of chickens running after them beaks wide open.

The littlest Chromis did not make it past the fourth day. He seemed very weak and the delay in shipping did not do him any favors. I got a replacement for him when I ordered the jawfish. Now, again the smallest one, was just not growing like the others and he passed away the day before yesterday. The replacement is big! He had no trouble settling in and joined the group eating the baby brine.

I like the idea of disinfecting the SW container. I will do that also. I also have to rinse out all the sediment. :P Blegh! Thanks for the tip.

I remember that from when I was a kid :)

I always run my empty salt mix bucket with vinegar and water for a day, to clean it all out. Also cleans out the pump and heater.

Can I really be this lucky? The Yellowhed jawfish are shacking up in the same burrow! :haha:

Knocking on every wood surface hoping they will eat and prosper! I would be so disappointed if they both do not make it. Please send your positive vibes this way.

:happydance:

Just knocked on wood for you :D

Please consider said vibes sent. ;)

Oh, thank you ladies!!!

I have my fingers, toes, and even hair crossed. The dog thinks there is someone at the door every time I knock on wood, so now she is desensitized and ignores the knocking! :lol: I made that last part up!

So this morning I loaded the tank up with BB shrimp and Phyto. I turned off the powerheads and filtration. The Blue Reef Chromis were all like NOM, NOM, NOM. But most important, guess who came to break its fast?

(Watch in HD if you can, it is a bit better.)

Go jawfish, go jawfish, go!!!

Yeah! GO, BABY GO! :lol:

I peeked into their burrow. It is really deep. I am glad the rock is stable and on the bottom of the tank!!

They look real cozy in there. It is neat to have four big eyes looking at me from under there. :D

So, I have decided to set up the live stream channel for the jawfish. They are constantly busy scooping, rearranging and peeking out of the den.

Good luck with your jawfish!

Thank you! So far so good. They keep moving their entrance from front to back. Ha! Ha! But since it is a peninsula I can see them anyhow, much to their frustration.

I added a few photosynthetic Gorgs. :)

IMG_0090_zps3a9077ee.jpg

IMG_0091_zpse944784b.jpg

I need a few more of these to eat the algae.

http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/eitallent/media/MyAtlantis/IMG_0092_zpsb4f2b840.jpg.html'>IMG_0092_zpsb4f2b840.jpg

:lol: The clean up crew needs a clean up crew!

haha ! :)

I pulled out a few live rocks this past weekend to scrub some hair algae off and the wifey asked did you scrub the snails too? :/

Archived