Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

A Carib.Castle: Naughty Nibblers... June '15 pics/vid, Razors, 125g, diy LR

eitallent

If it is not too much trouble, I would love to see pictures of your Molly Miller Blenny. Thanks, James!

Are they dimorphic? I forget which are I read so many fish articles! :lol: I know some species of fish can be distinguished by color or at times body shape. Is that how you know Atarbucks (love that name) was a he?

I cannot remember since it has been so long but I assume so. I think the females were supposed to be a lighter color. I had at one time 8 but I slowly cut down my population to 4. Starbucks was the most colorful during the day with a lime green body and a rosy throat while the others stayed neutral tones with the stripes. At night they all became dark brown and hung out together in the rockwork. I just called it a he because I assumed it was the same way peacocks are so colorful.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot remember since it has been so long but I assume so. I think the females were supposed to be a lighter color. I had at one time 8 but I slowly cut down my population to 4. Starbucks was the most colorful during the day with a lime green body and a rosy throat while the others stayed neutral tones with the stripes. At night they all became dark brown and hung out together in the rockwork. I just called it a he because I assumed it was the same way peacocks are so colorful.

Wow! Eight is great. :happy: I am glad to know they got along. I have three on order and hopefully they will come back in stock soon.

I will be posting pictures of the Blue Reef Chromis tomorrow, dead or alive. I hope the delay in shipping does not kill them, but I am not expecting a happy ending. :(

Yep they are great social fish.

Good luck with the Chromis although I have heard that they don't ship well. :(

Yeah. I read the same. They are stressed by not being in a group to begin with, then add shipping stress, then add the delay and it all adds up to a rotten situation. Who knew that fish were going to be the hardest to get and to keep alive!! :mellow:

So not cool about the fish :( And so not fair to them :(

On a happier note..I LOVE the porite rock :happy:

I am really hoping they will be okay. Sigh... : fingerscrossed:

Porites are so tiny that the polyps look like gooseflesh. It is a really neat little coral. They almost always have worms living on them like Christmas Tree worms or in this case the less glamorous bristle-cage worms. Their bristles shine in flashes with all the colors of the rainbow, so they are special in their own way too.

Yeah....Christmas tree worms would have been totally awesome!!! Still...the porites are beautiful in their own right. I have some that came in on my live rock.

The five arrived and are ALIVE!! omgomgomg :haha:

I have them in the ER with five IV drips. :happy:

They are not out of the woods yet but at least they have a chance at survival.

Question: I have them in dim lighting, slowly dripping new water and I have the tank lights down low. But should I turn off the power heads and just have the current from the AC110? It seems the right thing to do since they are probably weak and fighting a strong current may not do them any good.

2013-04-10_10-14-45_101_zpsf784ebf1.jpg

2013-04-10_10-14-30_868_zps486a85b9.jpg

Here is a short video of one of the little blue fellas swimming in the bag. You can even see the fluttering fins in HD!

Looks pretty even in the bag! Good luck to you!

Thank you, Eric!

They are close to being released. 20 minutes left. :):scarry: fingerscrossed

jedimasterben
Those are a nice blue! The ones at my LFS are more teal/green than blue.

Those are a very different species. This species gets much larger (5"+) and are Caribbean.

Like, like, like!!! There aren't enough schools of fish around.

Well, you are on nano reef. ;)

Yay :happydance: What a relief that they survived the delay!!!! LOVE them too! The blue reef chromis are my favorite. I didn't know they got that big though...wow.

Those are a very different species.

I meant to say the chromis are more often the teal/green ones. I don't often see the blue ones.

Mr. Microscope

Well, you are on nano reef. ;)

Haha! True. I just wish there as a saltwater equivilant of the Neon Tetra. I love big schools of those tiny fish in planted aquariums.

Happy news everyone! :happy: They all made it through the night. :happydance:

They have been eating frozen Cyclopeeze (bar kind) and in addition, today, they will get newly hatched Artemia. Yummy. :lol:

f217fc5e-3fa7-4e3f-9955-e7beb54e298f_zps

Like, like, like!!! There aren't enough schools of fish around.

Hi Mr. M! Yes they are really cool when they all swim together. Love 'em.

Those are a nice blue! The ones at my LFS are more teal/green than blue.

Hello, James! Yes those are the Green Chromis (Blue Green Chromis), Chromis viridis. They are beautiful because they have a lovely silver shimmer and the green merges to blue at certain angles and lighting. I originally got some of these when they were on sale at reefs2go for $1.99! Unfortunately all but one of the seven perished. As it turns out the B/G Chromis does not have a high survival rate when transported. I got them promptly overnight but I think they were too stressed from the trip, I did not have enough rocks in the aquarium at the time and they conditions in my aquarium were probably to drastically different from what they were used to at the retailer. But the one hardy survivor is now living happily with Zag the Blue Neon Goby in my nano's refugium. :)

However, the Green Chromis aren't found in the Caribbean so I chose the Blue Reef Chromis, Chromis cyaneus, which are abundant in the Caribbean. These are also supposed to be very peaceful, they form a shoal and their color is intense. Let us hope I can do right by them. fingerscrossed

Yay :happydance: What a relief that they survived the delay!!!! LOVE them too! The blue reef chromis are my favorite. I didn't know they got that big though...wow.

Hey, Gena! I was truly amazed that they survived 48 hours sloshing around in planes, trucks and FedEx employee's hands. They are so small, about 3/4"! Liveaquaria.cm packed them very well with lots of water, black bags, heating pack and a thick Styrofoam box. They little guys had lots of room but they were staying at the bottom of the bag in the pointy ends. I was afraid that they would get squished in the point when the bag collapses as you put it down. They may get up to 5" as Ben says, but who knows, they may get bigger on Paul.b's Live from NY! diet. :lol:

I love the new additions! Squee :D

Thank you! :)

They seem happy with each other and the snails for company. Gotta get more additions in there! ;)

Very pretty fish! :)

Thank you, Mark. I have notice that they like to look at their reflection. They must think so too. :D

Mr. Microscope

However, the Green Chromis aren't found in the Caribbean so I chose the Blue Reef Chromis, Chromis cyaneus, which are abundant in the Caribbean. These are also supposed to be very peaceful, they form a shoal and their color is intense. Let us hope I can do right by them. fingerscrossed

Awesome! I love that you're trying to biotope this thing. +10 reefing points for you!

Awesome! I love that you're trying to biotope this thing. +10 reefing points for you!

Yay! +10 points :) That brings me to a total of ... 10 points! :P

Doing lots of research on how to do the Caribbean biotope, and I am beginning to believe I can do it and make it interesting to look at not just interesting to think about!

Archived