Cultivated Reef

A Carib.Castle: Naughty Nibblers... June '15 pics/vid, Razors, 125g, diy LR

eitallent

Glad to see everything coming along and your custom made rock looks neat,can't wait to see how it ages.

Thank you, BluCrab. (BTW your name sounds DELICIOUS; I ate Blue Crab in Miami and loved it!)

I am not done with those rocks and placement. I need to work on more balance and add a bit more to the right. Hmmm....

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a beautiful weekend! Especially since the five are still alive. :happydance:

I set up a continuous live shrimp feeder for the Blue Reef Chromis. They seem to really enjoy snacking all day long. :)

I still have to tidy up the canopy and the cords but I was so excited that they were eating that I had to film and share it with you guys right away!

Um......Lol?

It is a rare baby "bull fish." It is exclusively a herbivore. :)

He was just born today and we are all very excited and happy. :happy:

jedimasterben

It is a beautiful weekend! Especially since the five are still alive. :happydance:

I set up a continuous live shrimp feeder for the Blue Reef Chromis. They seem to really enjoy snacking all day long. :)

I still have to tidy up the canopy and the cords but I was so excited that they were eating that I had to film and share it with you guys right away!

What equipment is that?

What equipment is that?

This is a feeder which I first saw on another member's thread. I do not remember his username now but you follow him, Ben. He lost his aquarium to Sandy in NYC. He started a new build from scratch and he uses a algae turf scrubber, started with a DSB and got rid of it.

Anyway it is a Cleartides feeder/reactor from the UK.

Edit: I found the member who posted this item. It is xerophyte_NYC with Bommie's Edge 2.0

Here is a description:

Corals benefit from constant supply of both zooplanton and phytoplankton to the aquarium but until now there has not been a device that an actually drip feed zooplankton and phytoplankton to your tank.
Auto Feeder hangs on the side of your aquarium or sump and draws water from your aquarium, mixes it with a solution of zoo or phyto and drip feeds it back into your aquarium or sump.
The zoo or phyto is kept in suspension by the us of an air inlet at the bottom of the reactor.
Auto Feeders can all so be used as a Brine Shrimp Hatchery which can be automatically dosed into your aquarium.
Auto Feeders can be used on Fresh/Marine aquariums where young or more delicate fish need constant supply of food.
Kit Consists of :
Feeder 500, Valves x 2 And Tee Piece. The Tee Piece is to allow an existing pump to supply the continuous water supply. As a 'drip' rate of flow is required, there is no effect on the normal running of the existing pump. You can also use a dedicated pump and can be found in the shop under 'Reactor Running Kits' (known as the R50 kit).
Addition Equipment Required :
Air Pump.
Dimension: Height: 280mm Cylinder Dia: 60mm

That feeder is awesome!!! Very nice work on that :)

And those chromis are so teeny tiny and vibrant :wub:

Haha! True. I just wish there as a saltwater equivilant of the Neon Tetra. I love big schools of those tiny fish in planted aquariums.

masked goby?????

That feeder is awesome!!! Very nice work on that :)

And those chromis are so teeny tiny and vibrant :wub:masked goby?????

Thanks Gena. The fish are enjoying the constant food dripping into the water. :happy:

The masked goby sure is cute. hint, hint

The masked goby sure is cute. hint, hint

:happydance:

I forgot I was going to ask more about the little bull fish you posted LOL. You have a farm?????

That feeder is really cool! I bet your fish love that!

Thanks Felicia. The fish are so little they cannot eat a lot at once. I figured that if they eat a little through out the day they may get more nutrition, stay healthy and stress free. :)

:happydance:

I forgot I was going to ask more about the little bull fish you posted LOL. You have a farm?????

Yes. We live on a forty acre farm. It has been in the Tallent family for three generations. We have chickens, geese, peacocks (my son's) and several horses. The Ayrshire cow gave birth today to the little guy you see in the picture. We named him Bonk because no more than six hours into his life and he walks straight into a post and bonked his head. We also have a heifer who will probably calf soon. It will be her first time so we are a little nervous for her. We raise veggies just for us. We milk the cow only occasionally too.

Awww...cute story on the name, Bonk LOL. So cool!!! I grew up in farm country..sooo jealous!!!! I'm in Burbank, CA. now and there's a section of the city that is zoned for horses and goats..probably other things too. Anyways, I intentionally detour through that area every now and then and shop at the grocery store on that side of town JUST so I can smell the animals (manure). Reminds me of home :wub:

Do you grow crops on your land? Growing up we had goats, chickens, rabbits, etc. For a while we only drank goat milk. It was ok as long as they didn't get into something that made the milk taste disgusting LOL.

Awww...cute story on the name, Bonk LOL. So cool!!! I grew up in farm country..sooo jealous!!!! I'm in Burbank, CA. now and there's a section of the city that is zoned for horses and goats..probably other things too. Anyways, I intentionally detour through that area every now and then and shop at the grocery store on that side of town JUST so I can smell the animals (manure). Reminds me of home :wub:

Do you grow crops on your land? Growing up we had goats, chickens, rabbits, etc. For a while we only drank goat milk. It was ok as long as they didn't get into something that made the milk taste disgusting LOL.

We only have a garden spot for the family. I tried growing organic and selling at the farmers market but no one was into organic 10 years ago here. It is catching on but not enough to make it worth while. There is a new bill now that will allow us to sell raw milk off the farm. That may be a future endeavor. Right now we grow greens, carrots, tomatoes, squash, asparagus and we have a few fruit and nut trees. They are young so they produce just enough for us. Oh, and I have blue berries bushes (10) in the front yard!! They are my favorite fruit! I have to fight the birds for them. I know I am losing the battle when I see blue bird poo on my car! Those cheeky birds. :lol:

jedimasterben

This is a feeder which I first saw on another member's thread. I do not remember his username now but you follow him, Ben. He lost his aquarium to Sandy in NYC. He started a new build from scratch and he uses a algae turf scrubber, started with a DSB and got rid of it.

Anyway it is a Cleartides feeder/reactor from the UK.

Edit: I found the member who posted this item. It is xerophyte_NYC with Bommie's Edge 2.0

Here is a description:

Corals benefit from constant supply of both zooplanton and phytoplankton to the aquarium but until now there has not been a device that an actually drip feed zooplankton and phytoplankton to your tank.
Auto Feeder hangs on the side of your aquarium or sump and draws water from your aquarium, mixes it with a solution of zoo or phyto and drip feeds it back into your aquarium or sump.
The zoo or phyto is kept in suspension by the us of an air inlet at the bottom of the reactor.
Auto Feeders can all so be used as a Brine Shrimp Hatchery which can be automatically dosed into your aquarium.
Auto Feeders can be used on Fresh/Marine aquariums where young or more delicate fish need constant supply of food.
Kit Consists of :
Feeder 500, Valves x 2 And Tee Piece. The Tee Piece is to allow an existing pump to supply the continuous water supply. As a 'drip' rate of flow is required, there is no effect on the normal running of the existing pump. You can also use a dedicated pump and can be found in the shop under 'Reactor Running Kits' (known as the R50 kit).
Addition Equipment Required :
Air Pump.
Dimension: Height: 280mm Cylinder Dia: 60mm

DERP! I knew I saw it somewhere. :)

Thanks for reminding me to order one! :)

DERP! I knew I saw it somewhere. :)

Thanks for reminding me to order one! :)

Les (atoll) asked me to share my experience with this feeder and I would like to share it with you too before you pull out your wallet. :)

At first I was put off by the acrylic tube looking crackled in some places (probably happened while cutting the acrylic tube) and the foggy drips from the bonding agent that was used to attach the various pieces together. It looks to be crudely made. The 'T' they provide came apart while putting a water line on it. My hubby (chemist) just happened to have the acrylic solvent required to bond it back together so it was not a total loss. Luckily both pieces were acrylic and we bonded it back together better than before.

Looks aside, it is simple to set up and it works just as described. I purchased it on eBay and I have the smallest model. I do not use it to hatch the brine shrimp eggs as my room temperature is lower than the ideal hatching temperature. Besides that, the shells from the empty cysts would also be dripped into the tank along with the Artemia if it were used as a hatchery.

I also use it to feed frozen CyclopEeze and shavings of Paul's frozen fish food recipe (clam and oyster). One observation I made is that the food may float at the surface of the water in the tank itself, due to surface tension i guess, unless good surface agitation is provided. My fish are very happy hunting around for food.

I am very happy with it, Ben, and recommend it especially for some one with your DIY skills.

Blubbernaut

It is a rare baby "bull fish." It is exclusively a herbivore. :)

He was just born today and we are all very excited and happy. :happy:

Do you live on a farm?

Do you live on a farm?

:lol:

Yes. We live on a forty acre farm. It has been in the Tallent family for three generations. We have chickens, geese, peacocks (my son's) and several horses. The Ayrshire cow gave birth today to the little guy you see in the picture. We named him Bonk because no more than six hours into his life and he walks straight into a post and bonked his head. We also have a heifer who will probably calf soon. It will be her first time so we are a little nervous for her. We raise veggies just for us. We milk the cow only occasionally too.

Blubbernaut

:lol:

Of course you have peacocks! They're an everyday pet...... ;) I'm kinda jealous, I only got a dog, two cats, 3 koi, 4 catfish, 50ish goldfish, a blenny, a clownfish, a wrasse, an urchin, some hermits, and whatever else I don't know about in my tank. Oh wait......

jedimasterben

Les (atoll) asked me to share my experience with this feeder and I would like to share it with you too before you pull out your wallet. :)

At first I was put off by the acrylic tube looking crackled in some places (probably happened while cutting the acrylic tube) and the foggy drips from the bonding agent that was used to attach the various pieces together. It looks to be crudely made. The 'T' they provide came apart while putting a water line on it. My hubby (chemist) just happened to have the acrylic solvent required to bond it back together so it was not a total loss. Luckily both pieces were acrylic and we bonded it back together better than before.

Looks aside, it is simple to set up and it works just as described. I purchased it on eBay and I have the smallest model. I do not use it to hatch the brine shrimp eggs as my room temperature is lower than the ideal hatching temperature. Besides that, the shells from the empty cysts would also be dripped into the tank along with the Artemia if it were used as a hatchery.

I also use it to feed frozen CyclopEeze and shavings of Paul's frozen fish food recipe (clam and oyster). One observation I made is that the food may float at the surface of the water in the tank itself, due to surface tension i guess, unless good surface agitation is provided. My fish are very happy hunting around for food.

I am very happy with it, Ben, and recommend it especially for some one with your DIY skills.

:)

Thank you for sharing, and I added it to my list to buy in a couple of weeks. I forgot that I had to pay my taxes last night, so there went all my fun money. :/

Also, you posted this in Morgan's thread:

The tank is looking great already and you barely started! You really are a pro. :)

I am hoping I can put a nem in my 125 g tank. My main concern of course is that I am a total newbie. Can keep them from eating fish? Are some caribbean nems less likely to eat fish? Do you have to nem-proof the tank, like powerheads, intakes, etc.? Those flower nems are gorgeous!!

I just wanted to give you feedback here.

Caribbean anemones are different. You've got rock flower nems, which are the really pretty colorful ones, condylactis nems, which are tan with purple tips when healthy (you will only ever see them for sale as bone white with purple tips), and then a few tube anemones.

Rock flower nems are beautiful, and they just don't give a hoot. :lol: They don't care about water quality, they can tolerate little and lots of light and flow, and once you put them somewhere, chances are they just will not move unless they get really agitated. Best choice IMHO

Condy nems are, at best, aggravating. They get very large and quickly, have a ridiculously powerful sting, and are the most temperamental anemones I've ever had the 'pleasure' to own. They never seem to find their 'spot' and continuously move around. They also are not hosting anemones besides commensal crabs, and will eat any fish that they can catch. I had one eat a very expensive anthias. :angry:

Tube nems are the worst choice. They are non-photosynthetic and extremely aggressive, eating anything they can. Combine that with getting extremely large and having a super powerful sting that can paralyze fish with a touch and it's a bad combination that is best left for dedicated species tanks.

I would definitely do rock flowers, and other good choices of anemone-like corallimorphs would be ricordea and sanctithomae mushrooms. Plus they're all beautiful and will spread around like mad with your feeding regime. :)

Hooray, Ben! Thank you for your feedback on those. :)

This just what I needed to know. I had planned to get the sanctithomae and rics for sure, but the nem issue was a worry. The rock flowers a gorgeous and those are now on my list too.

Thank you, thank you! :wub:

Of course you have peacocks! They're an everyday pet...... ;) I'm kinda jealous, I only got a dog, two cats, 3 koi, 4 catfish, 50ish goldfish, a blenny, a clownfish, a wrasse, an urchin, some hermits, and whatever else I don't know about in my tank. Oh wait......

Oh wait... What? I am dying to know what else you got there!

The peacocks are a PITA! :lol:

They have to have their wings trimmed or else they are waaaay up in the trees at night and we cannot get them into the roosting house. We have lots of nocturnal predators so they have to be put up at night. The male displays to the chickens, rooster, goose, gander, dog or anything that moves! He is quite a Cassanova. ;)

wow thats brilliant.Love what youve done so far. Did you order the feeder directly from the UK and if so what was shipping like?

Archived