Coral Vue Hydros

A Carib.Castle: Naughty Nibblers... June '15 pics/vid, Razors, 125g, diy LR

eitallent

Here is a short video of the swirling green brew! Mwaaahahaha (crazy mad scientist cackle) :D

I can haz frag?

He is soooo cute but such a trouble making scrapper! notice the scratches on his nose. Can you imagine what he would be like if his gumptions had not been removed at a young age? :lol:

Mr. M. You sure you wantz fragz? :P

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Here is a short video of the swirling green brew! Mwaaahahaha (crazy mad scientist cackle) :D

Awesome setup! Love the magnetic stirrer. Are you planning to dose with that? I'm sure any potential gorgs would love it.

He is soooo cute but such a trouble making scrapper! notice the scratches on his nose. Can you imagine what he would be like if his gumptions had not been removed at a young age? :lol:

Mr. M. You sure you wantz fragz? :P

Haha! Cats would take over the world if they had opposable thumbs.

BTW, Fragz sounds like a great name for a reefkeeper's cat. ;)

Awesome setup! Love the magnetic stirrer. Are you planning to dose with that? I'm sure any potential gorgs would love it.Haha! Cats would take over the world if they had opposable thumbs.

BTW, Fragz sounds like a great name for a reefkeeper's cat. ;)

I absolutely will dose with that. I can't wait to see how it will affect the tank life.

Fragz is too cute. This one's name is Ocelot but we sometimes call him by other, less complementary names! ;)

Loving the mad scientist photos and video. :)

Your cat sleeping in that box is too cute!

Thanks! Mwaaahahaha! :haha:

He asked to go outside by batting at a floor lamp and almost knocked it down. So I scolded him,"Ocelot you bad boy! Stop that!" He looked at me and proceeded to bat it again. I open the door and he calmly sauntered out with his tail straight up in the air with a little curl at the top. <_<

Now we know who rules the roost. :closedeyes:

Thanks! Mwaaahahaha! :haha:

He asked to go outside by batting at a floor lamp and almost knocked it down. So I scolded him,"Ocelot you bad boy! Stop that!" He looked at me and proceeded to bat it again. I open the door and he calmly sauntered out with his tail straight up in the air with a little curl at the top. <_<

Ha! Sounds like a typical cat. I'm surprised you didn't already know he's the boss. I accepted that my cat Lily is in charge a long time ago. :lol:

Ha! Sounds like a typical cat. I'm surprised you didn't already know he's the boss. I accepted that my cat Lily is in charge a long time ago. :lol:

+1 sooo many times! hahaha cats! lol

I keep trying to maintain control of the kitty antics, I have Sylvie and Twolu who are very calm and always are proper little ladies. :)

+1 sooo many times! hahaha cats! lol

Yep they are a hoot.

Here is Sylvie keeping a close watch on my paper towel supplies.

http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/eitallent/media/IMAG0539.jpg.html'>IMAG0539.jpg

Blubbernaut

Dogs have owners, cats have employees.

Argh! The Red Sea Coral Pro salt leaves so much sediment. Is this normal? Me NO like!! :rant:

Here is the first batch I mixed in the 32 gallon container. It looks like a coating of flour.

http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/eitallent/media/MyAtlantis/2013-04-22_14-24-45_837_zpsfee18850.jpg.html'>2013-04-22_14-24-45_837_zpsfee18850.jpg

http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/eitallent/media/MyAtlantis/2013-04-22_14-25-16_676_zps12fb4605.jpg.html'>2013-04-22_14-25-16_676_zps12fb4605.jpg

Yep.

i was gonna ask..where you get the white koralia...but then i realized its covered in salt sediment

Does any one else get this with RSCP? if not what is your secret? If so does it bother you?

Yep.

Does any one else get this with RSCP? if not what is your secret? If so does it bother you?

I don't use RSCP, but I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and I get the exact same thing. The inside of my blue water bucket is always white. It doesn't seem to hurt anything.

I don't use RSCP, but I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and I get the exact same thing. The inside of my blue water bucket is always white. It doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Hello, Felicia. Funny, I guess I did not notice it when I was using IORC because my bucket was white! :lol: I did notice a slight grittiness on the bucket itself. However with IO it never built up on the heater or the powerhead. Thank you for sharing your experience. It is good to know.

I use RSCP and I get a little bit of that, but nowhere near what's in that pic. Was that just from one mixing?

Hi, rev138. Yes, this is my first mixing in the big 32 gallon container. It looks like a snow fall.

If you're really going to go all out, this is the way to go, me thinks. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/nftt/

Eitallent, that's a lot of residue! I've never had that much out of Red Sea Pro salt..

The Geosapper is exactly what I would love to have, Paleoreef103. Live food 24 hrs a day. :) Today is baby brine shrimp day. The fish all have their seafood bibs on ready for the buffet.

Yes that is a lot of residue. I tested my RODI water: TDS is zero and the pH is low at 6.4. Would the pH have something to do with the amount of precipitation?

This is how I mix the SW. I heat up the water to 77 first. I pour the salt in gradually while the power head is running. The salt swirls in the water and dissolves in a few seconds leaving a bit of undissolved salt at the very bottom of the container. I stir the undissolved salt into solution with the tubing you see in the picture.

So am I doing something wrong? Am I missing a step?

Thanks for all the input guys and gals!

I had no idea you had such a big tank!!!! Keep up the good work, looks sweet!!!!

:) I am full of surprises.

I am challenging myself with a big tank. Thank you for the kind words, Zeph.

Ahhhh! Cute-splosion! :happy::D

Sylvie is that special being that is cute no matter what the occasion. :lol: She loves attention and knows how to get it.

Here is the scoop on the salt "sitcheeation."

I have not been following the manufacturers recommended procedures for mixing. I should not have used a heater, should have more circulation, should pour salt in more slowly and should cease circulation as soon as it is mixed.

This is what they recommend:

Ok folks a little clarification regarding Red Sea Coral Pro salt.

Technical Notes

Technical Notes:

1. Coral Pro was specially designed for enhancing the calcification process in all corals. It contains elevated levels of the foundation elements (calcium, magnesium and the carbonate alkalinity components) and is recommend to be mixed to a salinity of 35ppt. The combination of high levels of foundation elements and salinity makes the elements close to their natural saturation levels in seawater enhancing the possibility of precipitation.

2. The raw materials used in the latest formula of Coral Pro dissolve much quicker than in the past and even if the seawater is not to be used immediately, it should not be mixed for much longer than required to dissolve the salt. In fact Coral Pro salt has gone from being one of the slowest salts to dissolve, to one of the fastest, particularly when taking into account the levels of the foundation elements for the accelerated growth of SPS corals.

3. Due to the thermodynamics of the dissolving process of the salt formula, water that is significantly cooler or warmer than the recommended 20oC/68oF will slow down the mixing process. Warmer water is a contributory factor to causing precipitation of the foundation elements making the water cloudy.

4. Mixing the salt with high agitation at the water surface increases the amount of CO2 that evaporates from the water causing an increase in both pH and alkalinity that enhances the chance of precipitation.

5. The built in inaccuracies of home measuring tools (weighing the salt, volume of water and quality of hydrometer/refractometer) may lead to a salinity of 1-2 ppt more than desired, increasing the chances of precipitation.

6. Due to excessive vibration during shipping and the different particle sizes and weights of the various elements in the salt, sometimes the mix can lose some of its homogeneity. This can lead for example to higher calcium levels at the top of the bucket which can cause precipitation (cloudiness) on mixing. Dry mixing the contents of a bucket will restore the original homogeneity.

Mixing instructions:

Mixing Instructions:

1. Use RO water that is at ambient in the UK a temperature of approximately 20OC/68OF is optimum .

2. Accurately weight the salt and measure the volume of water according to the salinity you wish to achieve.

3. Pour the salt gradually into the water. Do not pour water onto the salt.

4. Mix vigorously (without aeration) for approximately 0.5 - 2 hours, until all of the salt is dissolved and pH has stabilized to 8.2 – 8.4” - DO NOT mix for more than 4 hours.

5. When mixed, raise the temperature and add to the aquarium. (Not absolutely necessary for a small water change)

Any further questions feel free to ask, I should point out that it is highly recommended to dry mix any brand of slat as they can all suffer from possible stratification.

Or just use Instant Ocean. Put water in bucket, put salt in bucket, wait until clear, you have saltwater. ;)

Yep. Easy peasy! :P

As it turns out for RSCP you do not need to heat the water, you do not need to circulate the salt in the water past the point of dissolution, and it is ready to put in the tank 1/2 hour after it is mixed.

As usual I was trying too hard to do things "perfectly" and instead made things more complicated than they needed to be!

Sigh ... :rolleyes:

Archived