Innovative Marine Aquariums

AI Nano Nuvo 16 Build (Now with BSJ!)

Rathje70

I just got my nuvo 16g up and running.. def following this. thanks for all the info!

SFG- can you by chance show us how your media baskets and fuge basket is running? thanks

Glad your tagging along! I would also like to see SFGs fuge/media setup

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got my nuvo 16g up and running.. def following this. thanks for all the info!

SFG- can you by chance show us how your media baskets and fuge basket is running? thanks

tomorrow i will try and get a rear tank shot when i get off of work.

Well I should be receiving my AI Nano either today or Monday, I will make sure to post pictures as soon as I get it mounted on the tank. Based on what I have read, I will more than likely buy the hanging fixture or make a DIY fixture to suspend higher above the water surface. I also plan on buying the controller shortly after I recieve it.

Has anyone used the ReefKeeper Lite to control their AI lights? I have read you should get the same functionality and I was looking at getting a RK anyways. Might be able to kill two birds with one stone....anyone have experience with this?

My tank has been up and running for about 12 days now, the params look like this:

Ammonia - 0

PH - 8.2

NItrates - 30

It has been awhile since I have completely had to go through a cycle with a tank....but I am in no hurry, I probably wont add any livestock until after Xmas. I need to get my nitrates down, but the tank is relatively new. I have done a couple of water changes, but really letting the bacteria from the LR and LS do it's job. I assume this is still the norm? I haven't gone through this for 4-5 years, and you know how things change!

I don't think you can control it with the rkl, only the rke. Bummer I know, I have the rkl too. Get the new ai controller, the old one with the knob sucks. I am pretty disappointed in it. I too am interested in seeing the media basket pics. I found my sol on rc. I shopped around and pmed quite a few people. Might have made a couple mad, lol! My tank is coming along pretty nicely, still have the stock lights on it but I set the sol over it when I was messing with the controller trying to get it set up correctly. It looked really good and provided way better color. My zoas and palys actually looked like the color they are supposed to be. I'll start a thread for moth of my tanks as soon as I can figure out how to post pics on here.

I don't think you can control it with the rkl, only the rke. Bummer I know, I have the rkl too. Get the new ai controller, the old one with the knob sucks. I am pretty disappointed in it. I too am interested in seeing the media basket pics. I found my sol on rc. I shopped around and pmed quite a few people. Might have made a couple mad, lol! My tank is coming along pretty nicely, still have the stock lights on it but I set the sol over it when I was messing with the controller trying to get it set up correctly. It looked really good and provided way better color. My zoas and palys actually looked like the color they are supposed to be. I'll start a thread for moth of my tanks as soon as I can figure out how to post pics on here.

So do you have a Nuvo 16? Or what tank do you have the AI Nano over?

My nuvo16 has the stock lighting. I have the sol super blue over my 34 solana. I think I am going to get another one for the nuvo if I can find a good deal. If not, I'll step up and get the vega for the solana and put the sol over the nuvo. That's a couple months down the road though. The sol nano doesn't cover wide enough for the 16 for my taste.

Get the AI controller.

With the Reefkeeper, you have to use the ALC module and it only controls 2 channels. So you end up being able to control your whites and blues separately, but what happens is, your blues and royal blues end up running on the same channel - not independently . The AI controller makes a huge difference in the spectrum selection.

My nuvo16 has the stock lighting. I have the sol super blue over my 34 solana. I think I am going to get another one for the nuvo if I can find a good deal. If not, I'll step up and get the vega for the solana and put the sol over the nuvo. That's a couple months down the road though. The sol nano doesn't cover wide enough for the 16 for my taste.

Yeah, I am going to have to experiment with it for sure. I will probably use the stock hanging arm initially, but will probably end up putting my own together. I will have to follow your thread, I am pumped for the AI to get here tomorrow! Does anyone have any pictures of the AI Nano over a 24" tank?

Well somewhat dissapointed I did not receive the AI Nano today. It has been on a truck in a city 2 hours away since the 7th....it has to be here soon, I suppose I can wait, it is not like I have any corals I need to support :lol:

I tested the parameters on the tank again tonight. Everything is in check and my nitrates are around 30 PPM still, they should be on the decline over the next week or so. Does anyone have any recommendations on when and how many water changes should be done during the cycle phase? I really am in no hurry to get it cycled, but would like to come back from Xmas break with a fully cycled tank B)

I am noticing the need for an ATO with the open tank design. I have used a JBJ ATO in the past and was happy with it so I will check around here and there to see if anyone has one up for sale. Let me know if you have one you want to sell me!

Otherwise, starting to get some coraline algae and the CUC is still kickin it.

I will get some pictures up of the light when I finally recieve it!

Have you seen the AI Nano over a Nuvo 16? I cannot find any Nuvo 16 owners with the AI Nano. If you know of one, can you pass along their thread to me? Thanks!

Take your lid off to maintain a more stable temp and lessen evaporation from heat transfer. Just let the tank do its thing and do a bi weekly water change.Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>

Take your lid off to maintain a more stable temp and lessen evaporation from heat transfer. Just let the tank do its thing and do a bi weekly water change.Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>

Thanks for posting that video! Looks like it lacks a bit of coverage, I will have to see how it looks once I get it but I will more than likely be hanging it to get maximum coverage.

But the lid is sexy, when its not covered in evaporation...

Haha, exactly :lol:

I dealt with the lid for about 3 or 4 days and decided to get rid of it.

I have significantly reduced my top offs by removing the lid, it's a nice design but too much condensation build up and retains too much heat and with the open chambers in the back equals major evaporation

I have significantly reduced my top offs by removing the lid, it's a nice design but too much condensation build up and retains too much heat and with the open chambers in the back equals major evaporation

Do you run an ATO? If not, what do you do when your gone for several days?

As for the nano sol, you can tell that it pretty much only covers the center area but from other videos I've seen just mounted a little higher and had great coverage

Honestly I haven't had to leave home for more than a day and I haven't had to buy an ATO but was planning on buying a reef keeper lite and buying their ATO switch, just seems like its a good buy since this summer I had to run my fan over the tank all day and had to buy RODI every week. Controller activates fans to turn on at desired temperature and monitors PH

I have heard that the rkl ato is not that great. Unreliable. I have a jbj on my solana but when I get the money it's going to get replaced with a tunze and the jbj will go on the nuvo. After buying the rkl, I really wish I would have spent the extra money and got the rke. You can do a lot more with the rke as far as remote controlling and such, wireless.

Ya, might not be a bad idea. The rkl is the first controller I have had on any of my many tanks and I am a bit disappointed in it.

Thanks for the feedback! I am going to go with the JBJ ATO and will probably get a controller later on down the road.

Well I added my 2nd pump the back chamber today so I now have the stock and my old Biocube pump (250 GPH). They are blowing out an unvelievable amount of airbubbles! I have hose clamps on the tubing on each side of the tube (pump end and elbow nozzle end) but they are still blowing air bubbles like crazy. I have my back chamber pretty full so I know it is not because the water is to low. Would there be an issue with the two pumps being so close together that they are sucking to much through at the same time that is causing it?

Also, still no AI....I called USPS and they are looking into where it is at :huh:

Interesting on the air bubbles. If you find out the issues, let me know. My solana return does it from time to time. My chiller pump is right above the return pump in that tank. Hmmmmm.?

Archived