SaltCritters.com

AI Nano Nuvo 16 Build (Now with BSJ!)

Rathje70

Yeah, I guess I havent heard of pumps being to strong in that respect, but its possible. When I just have one of them running it doesn't do it, so its very possible that is the case. Guess I will need to keep the one pump and just get a Vortech....darn! :P

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just kept the old silicone hoses and upgraded to a single cobalt mj1200. Get awsome flow just wish I had spinstreams to make water movement more randomized

Hope you hear something from USPS

I just kept the old silicone hoses and upgraded to a single cobalt mj1200. Get awsome flow just wish I had spinstreams to make water movement more randomized

Hope you hear something from USPS

How many gallons per hour is the 1200? I

Well still no AI Nano today. In fact, USPS says they cannot track it or find out where it is........hopefully it magically shows up tomorrow.

A bit concerned about being out of town for 2-3 days around Xmas and not having an ATO. My two concerns:

1. The water level will get to low and my pump will be running dry. I plan to essentially fill the back up the tank almost completely up so it will last that long...hopefully. I will also not be turning the lights on and will be keeping the lid on.

2. My salinity is obviously going to fluctuate given the evaporation I am not overly concerned as I only have a CUC in the tank.

Thoughts? If I order an ATO now, I could get it installed by the time I leave but wasnt looking to spend any money on one quite yet.

Dont be too worried especially of you only have the cuc in the tank. Inhabitants can stand a very wide range of salinity and temps. I keep my SPS tank at 1.028. Ny Nuvo is at 1.024. Just kinda worked out that way when I got a batch of water from the store that was really high and I didn't have enough fresh to dilute it. The SPS seem to love it and I think with keeping it higher it helps to maintain CA/ALK/Mg levels more consistantly. Thats my experience anyways. But I wouldn't worry about leaving for 3 days if you don't have anything in there.

Well I finally got my AI Nano today and so far I am happy with what is has to offer! I should be receiving the controller tomorrow. The coverage of the light is a bit narrow but I think I will use the stock mount for some time. I am going to get some different bolts so I can raise it up about another inch or two. Pictures below, let me know what you think!

AINano_12-14-2_zps69ddb56a.jpg

AINano_12-14-3_zps634273d3.jpg

AINano_12-14-1_zps4f8e00e2.jpg

AINano_12-14_zpsbd872dab.jpg

Well I finally got my AI Nano today and so far I am happy with what is has to offer! I should be receiving the controller tomorrow. The coverage of the light is a bit narrow but I think I will use the stock mount for some time. I am going to get some different bolts so I can raise it up about another inch or two. Pictures below, let me know what you think!

Looks good, but I do think you should raise up the light. It'll allow you to up the intensity, cut shadows, and have better coverage on the ends.

Looks good, but I do think you should raise up the light. It'll allow you to up the intensity, cut shadows, and have better coverage on the ends.

Good thought....just trying to think of the best way to do so. Has anyone utilized the hanging kit for the nano? It would like a bit overkill for such a small fixture...

Good thought....just trying to think of the best way to do so. Has anyone utilized the hanging kit for the nano? It would like a bit overkill for such a small fixture...

I think if you attached the hanging kit to some type of arm or light tree it would look better. Maybe a shelf over the tank where you can put food, or a Gravity ATO till you figure out an automated option... Just brainstorming!

I think if you attached the hanging kit to some type of arm or light tree it would look better. Maybe a shelf over the tank where you can put food, or a Gravity ATO till you figure out an automated option... Just brainstorming!

Good thoughts. I can't do a shelf because my tank sits away from the wall quite a bit.I may do something similar to what you did for yours. I may just try the stock arm. My plans were to put SPS on the right side of tank in that column and sofies, LPS, etc. on the the left hand side. So maybe I can positon the light further to the right?

Not bad at all! Much better coverage than I imagined. Should be pretty good once you raise it up. I hope you are getting the new controller from ai. The old one is the biggest piece of crap ever! The new one is actually pretty cool! I fought with the old one for about a day before I tracked down a new one locally. Definitely gives me some thoughts to do with mine now. Maybe the ai nano won't be out of the question for me after all! Looks good though!

Not bad at all! Much better coverage than I imagined. Should be pretty good once you raise it up. I hope you are getting the new controller from ai. The old one is the biggest piece of crap ever! The new one is actually pretty cool! I fought with the old one for about a day before I tracked down a new one locally. Definitely gives me some thoughts to do with mine now. Maybe the ai nano won't be out of the question for me after all! Looks good though!

Why is the old one terrible?

Why is the old one terrible?

I picked up the old one for $45 here on the forums. Once I updated the firmware to adjust the dial sensitivity (a MUST!), I have zero complaints. The dial is finicky, but if you can concentrate long enough to press the buttons on your microwave, you'll have no problems. If you can score an older one cheaper I would say go for it.

The new one has an automated acclimation mode, and like double the timers. But basic functionality is the same. I've seen people bashing the touch sensitivity of the new one as well so it's still not perfect.

I actually like the old one for the nano because the nano isn't wireless without adapter (that isn't released yet) and the controller doesn't need to be plugged in, so it's one less cable to route. It also looks kinda snazy mounted outside the stand, whereas I don't think the new one does (IMO).

/rant over

If you have the patience to find dial sensitivity mode which I never did.

It is only available on the newest firmware update. Even before that though, the controller isn't unusable.

Thanks for the replies on the controller. The reason I asked is because I bought an older AI controller from another member for $40. So it arrived at my doorstep today :)

I will make sure I have the latest update installed and then play around with it for a bit. What are others using for their lighting schedule? Given the size of tank this is on, I would assume I would not want to go over 50% intensity for awhile until I get some corals in the tank and used to the light.

Well I made a couple of adjustments to the light. I bought some shorter bolts so the light is flesh with the mount and I also adjusted the mount on the back of the tank so it raises up another inch. I am actually pleased with the spread of the light, the extra couple of inches helped! Below are some pictures.

Nuvo16_12-6_zps0f966850.jpg

Nuvo16_12-6-1_zps18a890f2.jpg

Nuvo16_12-6-2_zps5a85394f.jpg

Nuvo16_12-6-3_zps1a7b5144.jpg

Sorry for the quality, they were taken by my phone..

Also, I plan to get a MP10 but would like to wait a few weeks. I am assuming softies will be okay with the stock pump (actually upgraded to my old biocube pump which is around 250 GPH)? I plan to get a few softies after Xmas and will add SPS once I get the MP10.

Looking good. The couple extra inches make a difference for sure. (...that's what she said)

How'd the controller work for ya?

Still playing around with the controller, but so far so good. It is hard to tell what will work since I dont have any corals in the tank yet... B)

It looks really good! I'm for sure going to get the nano now once I find a good deal on one. I updated the firmware on my old controller today and messed around with it, still don't like it. The new one is so much easier to use!

Start out with some zoas or palys to get started IMO.

It looks really good! I'm for sure going to get the nano now once I find a good deal on one. I updated the firmware on my old controller today and messed around with it, still don't like it. The new one is so much easier to use!

Looking great whats next?

Glad to hear, I havent been able to find a Nuvo thread on here that has an AI Nano...the more the merrier!

Archived