Pod Your Reef

Mangrove Forest-time to say goodbye

Giga

Woohoo! I've got some reading to do. Thanks for all of the work you put into putting your experience down in writing. Comments and questions to come in your post..

Yeah please let me know, I'm sure I didn't hit everything

Woohoo! I've got some reading to do. Thanks for all of the work you put into putting your experience down in writing. Comments and questions to come in your post..

Yes a lot of info indeed but the main one we use remains the Red one ... as the others are more affected by salinity than Rhizophora mangle (also found spelled Rizophora mangle) ... lots of info in my book btw too with pics of the propagules and what the different ones look like ... at the propagule / seed level ... as shown below ...

SeedsMangroves.png

Quite a difference indeed .... and of course there are a lot of restrictions on collecting seeds and propagules ... but plenty can be found in Florida lying on some of the southern beaches ... and as long as you either have a permit, or as long as no leaves have developed yet it is my understanding that you can just collect them.

And on another note : tonight at 10:00 EST the Nano Reef Hour on the Blogtalk RadioShow where I am a guest every Sunday night, and talk about Nano Reef Aquarium related topics, will deal with .... yes, you guess it ... Mangroves so ... tune in ... The links are below and if you cannot listen in tonight you can always listen to the recorded versions of the shows (and there have been many many so far).

http://underthesearadioprogram.yolasite.com/nano-reef-hour-filtration-using-mangroves.php

and / or

Nano Reef Hour: Filtration Using Mangroves underthesearadioprogram.yolasite.com
For those that keep freshwater aquariums that have plants they may know about the advantages of usin...
I started advocating their use in the mid 1980's in articles written at that time, and then in my books written a few years later and still advocate their use in my newest book (2013) - link is in the signature.
Yet one more way we can use to purify and filter our tank water ... but of course not the only one and Mangroves need to be used in conjunction with other methods as you all know ...

Yes a lot of info indeed but the main one we use remains the Red one ... as the others are more affected by salinity than Rhizophora mangle (also found spelled Rizophora mangle) ... lots of info in my book btw too with pics of the propagules and what the different ones look like ... at the propagule / seed level ... as shown below ...

SeedsMangroves.png

Quite a difference indeed .... and of course there are a lot of restrictions on collecting seeds and propagules ... but plenty can be found in Florida lying on some of the southern beaches ... and as long as you either have a permit, or as long as no leaves have developed yet it is my understanding that you can just collect them.

And on another note : tonight at 10:00 EST the Nano Reef Hour on the Blogtalk RadioShow where I am a guest every Sunday night, and talk about Nano Reef Aquarium related topics, will deal with .... yes, you guess it ... Mangroves so ... tune in ... The links are below and if you cannot listen in tonight you can always listen to the recorded versions of the shows (and there have been many many so far).

http://underthesearadioprogram.yolasite.com/nano-reef-hour-filtration-using-mangroves.php

and / or

Nano Reef Hour: Filtration Using Mangroves underthesearadioprogram.yolasite.com
For those that keep freshwater aquariums that have plants they may know about the advantages of usin...
I started advocating their use in the mid 1980's in articles written at that time, and then in my books written a few years later and still advocate their use in my newest book (2013) - link is in the signature.
Yet one more way we can use to purify and filter our tank water ... but of course not the only one and Mangroves need to be used in conjunction with other methods as you all know ...

are you trying to sell me something? I'm confused

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

just the bought the rest of the glass for the sump and overflow-so I could be filling this soon!

I just bought glass to make a sump for my cube. $70! Dang..
  • Like 1

the write up was awesome ... thanks for putting that together ... I see now why I had marginal success with them in the past!

plus, it makes the anticipation for your system even great ... I can't wait to see what you have planned.

• Like 1

I just bought glass to make a sump for my cube. $70! Dang..

Lol my tank was only 220 and that's polished 3/8 glass,you paid for crystal glass right?

the write up was awesome ... thanks for putting that together ... I see now why I had marginal success with them in the past!

plus, it makes the anticipation for your system even great ... I can't wait to see what you have planned.

Yeah I've been wanting to do that guide for a while but finally went a head and did it, I hope it helps everyone. Should be cool once set up can't wait to show everyone
  • Like 2

So I totally overlooked something,sand I need 200lbs of it and it sooooooo pricy. I just spent 300 of some of the last supplies and forgot sand........anyone know a cheap alternative?

IDK, some people use pool filter sand. It doesn't buffer the water, but it's pretty cheap. However, I haven't researched it a lot, and I've never used anything but aragonite. I've kind of wanted to try Tropic Eden's Miniflakes; being over $175, it'd ship free.

Then there's this: http://www.marcorocks.com/160-lb-bahama-aragonite-sand-shipping-included-all-sand-ships-usps-priority-mail/

and this: http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=350&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=58

• Like 2

IDK, some people use pool filter sand. It doesn't buffer the water, but it's pretty cheap. However, I haven't researched it a lot, and I've never used anything but aragonite. I've kind of wanted to try Tropic Eden's Miniflakes; being over $175, it'd ship free.

Then there's this: http://www.marcorocks.com/160-lb-bahama-aragonite-sand-shipping-included-all-sand-ships-usps-priority-mail/

and this: http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=350&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=58

I'm using miniflakes on my new build and I really like it. It's probably the smallest you'll find before you get into sugar sized sands. Really great color too.

• Like 1

I have fiji pink. the sand is bright white, tiny and fine. and there are bits of bigger rubble that are pink spread throughout.

yeah looks like I score some sand from a local reefer(lol) whos breakin his tank down, then i'll by a couple bags of figi pink as a top cover

almost finished guys! I've had no time to work on the tank as I've been working till 10pm and running a household filled with inlaws and lots of crazy-a house full of Russians is no joke :lol: looks like I might be able to finish the main part of the light so i'll take some pics of what I have even though it's not done

• Like 2

The ARC

uqjv.jpg

The details

1 x BXRA-50C5300(will be replaced with a Vero 29)

2 x Vero 18 4k

4 x Luxeon M royal blue

6 x Luxeon deep red

6 x Luxeon blue

6 x Luxeon cyan

6 x LGB 430nm

6 x LGB 405nm

I'm only about 65% done as the covers for the heatsink and spot light are not put on, vero's arn't mounted(below) and optics havn't been put on, as well as the fans for the heatsinks with all the color leds. You can see the wires for it behind the sinks'. The spot lights have a silent but powerfull pwm bladder fan. At leas all the major wireing has been done and run(WHAT A PAIN!)

Vero 18

o6ss.jpg

The Brains(Storm X)

s9m0.jpg

The Power-not done yet, lots of wire management and hookin everything up

mt4x.jpg

New FTS!

9yxr.jpg

and a messy sump almost done

rntp.jpg

• Like 9

Looks hella awesome! But unfortunately the angled heatsinks are going to reflect most of their light right off the top of the water. Will be bitchin' for the mangroves, though!

• Like 2

Looks hella awesome! But unfortunately the angled heatsinks are going to reflect most of their light right off the top of the water. Will be bitchin' for the mangroves, though!

yep they can be angled left to right and it was designed for the canopy of mangroves! oh it will be awesome

• Like 4