Cultivated Reef

G. Ternatensis Mantis Shrimp Tank Build!

Islandoftiki

Imagine if you will an epic battle between a mantis shrimp and an African grey parrot.

Now watch it for real!

Hah! I love reading about your mantis shrimp, Tiki. Chuck is especially awesome!

Like everyone else in this thread has said, "some day..."

Islandoftiki

I got a new little magnetic cleaner for getting into the corners of the tank. Chuck met the cleaner for the first time today. He wasn't sure what to do with it, so we played around for a while. He was really curious about it, but couldn't figure out if it was a threat or not. He was hesitant to whack it with most of his hits being very light taps. He also stole food from a frogspawn that I put in the tank a couple days ago, but I didn't catch that on video.

• Like 2
Islandoftiki

What cleaner is that? I need a little one.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vertex-cleaner-mag-simplex.html

The magnet isn't quite as strong as the Two little fishes nano-mag, but it's a lot better built. I've gone though about 4 of the two little fishes ones. The magnet on the wet side eventually rusts out.

The vertex one is nicely encased in plastic, so I don't imagine it ever rusting.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know why I hadn't subscribed to this one. Wow, he's so pretty blue.

Both Chuck and Betty have become much more colorful and seem to express more blue in their coloration than they used to when I first got them. My guess is diet. Krill soaked in Selcon and VitaChem.

• Like 2

Both Chuck and Betty have become much more colorful and seem to express more blue in their coloration than they used to when I first got them. My guess is diet. Krill soaked in Selcon and VitaChem.

I need to buy Selcon and/or VitaChem. What's the difference between the two? I'm feeding mine the Reef Frenzy or Fish Frenzy by LRS, so they getting a mix of seafood. God knows they are loving it. Look so greedy when they grab it and high tail it outta there.

• Like 1

I need to buy Selcon and/or VitaChem. What's the difference between the two? I'm feeding mine the Reef Frenzy or Fish Frenzy by LRS, so they getting a mix of seafood. God knows they are loving it. Look so greedy when they grab it and high tail it outta there.

They're both good quality vitamin supplements. I ran out of Selcon and all I could find locally was Vitachem. They obviously don't like the VitaChem as well, or should I say, they're not used to it, so it probably seemed odd to them. So, I ordered some more Selcon and have been adding a mix of both to their food, which they both like.

• Like 2

They're both good quality vitamin supplements. I ran out of Selcon and all I could find locally was Vitachem. They obviously don't like the VitaChem as well, or should I say, they're not used to it, so it probably seemed odd to them. So, I ordered some more Selcon and have been adding a mix of both to their food, which they both like.

OK, thanks.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I read you have a 25g mushroom dominated tank. Looks awesome...the mantis is a little creepy though :P. Actually, they are starting to grow on me, after seeing that mammoth one at my LFS. It's the eyes :).

Anyways...I like the mushrooms :wub:.

• Like 1

I read you have a 25g mushroom dominated tank. Looks awesome...the mantis is a little creepy though :P. Actually, they are starting to grow on me, after seeing that mammoth one at my LFS. It's the eyes :).

Anyways...I like the mushrooms :wub:.

Thank you. I'm a big fan of mushrooms. I ended up putting a pretty good handful of them into my 30 gallon tank as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed my blue tuxedo urchin was eating some coraline algae off of the glass in the 25 gallon tank today, so I grabbed the jewler's loupe and held my cell phone camera up to it to get some really close up macro footage of it chowing away. Aren't you glad these things don't grow any larger than they already do? That mouth is the stuff of nightmares!

• Like 5
  • 2 months later...
Islandoftiki

Sad day today. Chuck passed away some time over the past 24 hours. This wasn't unexpected, as he was getting pretty old. His last molt was about 11 months ago,which is a very long time to go without molting. I don't know exactly how old he was, but he has to be a minimum of 6 or 7 years old, possibly older. We put him to rest in our flower garden. Chuck was given to me by a local reefer who felt that I could give him a better home than in the sump of their tank, and I hope he enjoyed his last years in this special tank that I put together just for him. The old man will be missed. He was a good soul.

• Like 3