Cultivated Reef

G. Ternatensis Mantis Shrimp Tank Build!

Islandoftiki

• 3 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

Just a quick update. I'm in the process of changing the rockscape around a bit in this tank. I recently removed one of the larger rocks and I'm letting everything chill out while before removing any more. I'm planning to open up the rockscape a bit and possibly create some arches or something more interesting than a pile of rocks (Keep in mind that this isn't just a massive pile of rocks, it's completely open behind the rocks so the fish can hide out. These three fish are really skittish for some reason.

Anyhow, the blue cloves are covering just about everything and some of the mushrooms have really taken off. I've stolen all of the high end mushrooms for the 30 gallon tank.

I'll be breaking this tank down in the next couple of months in preparation for our move to Hawaii at the end of the year. The 30 gallon tank will stay up as long as I possible.

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

I really like these fish, especially because they all get along together, but they're awfully dull compared to mantis shrimp.

This is really all they ever do.

Mr. Microscope

Sorry for your loss Island. He was an amazing animal.

Congratulations on your move to Hawaii! What sparked the move? I know reefing is pretty restricted out there. Any plans for future tanks?

Islandoftiki

Sorry for your loss Island. He was an amazing animal.

Congratulations on your move to Hawaii! What sparked the move? I know reefing is pretty restricted out there. Any plans for future tanks?

Thanks. Chuck was getting pretty old, so it wasn't a huge surprise.

My fiance goes to the big island (Kona side) at least two or three times a year, to get out of the dreary rainy weather here in Oregon. We finally decided that it was time to just go for it and move. We just got word from the state of Hawaii that our dog has cleared the quarantine restriction and is free to move there after 90 days. My fiance is watching real estate listings and rental listings over there. She's planning a trip after we sell our house here to secure housing over there.

I was talking to the guy at the only LFS in the area while I was there last time and with the right permits and licenses, you can collect your own zoanthids, invertebrates and fish. I'm planning to set my tanks up when we get there and have build my own zoa garden/mantis tank. I'm really interested in finding a P. ciliata and an O. brevirostris for the tanks.

It should be interesting and fun. If I can, I'll find a way to get a educational permit to keep some SPS.

• Like 2
Islandoftiki

Blue cloves? :wub:

Yeah, that's just half of what was in there three days ago. Like a freakin' weed. I should probably get some invasive xenia for that tank, too.

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

what happened 3 days ago?

I removed a large chunk of rock that was completely covered with blue cloves, nice rock, but this system has way too much rock now that I don't have the mantis in there, so I'm slowly taking pieces out over time.

So, you know how people say that lemon juice works great for getting rid of aiptasia? Yeah, I kinda knew better. I had this one single aiptasia in there and it wasn't bothering anyone, and since I didn't mess with it, it just sat there as the one token pest. And then I got this stupid idea to try the lemon juice trick. Lo and behold, it worked amazingly! The aiptasia just melted away to nothing! Honestly, prior to trying this, I really felt there was only one sure fire way to kill an aiptasia was to use a small torch and burn the thing to a smoldering crackly crunch, which does reliably work. But, people said lemon juice works. And it did, kinda, for a couple weeks. And then... A patch around where the aiptasia was suddenly became an aiptasia garden! Oh boy! Fortunately, it was only on that one rock, so out it came and into a bucket where it will sit fallow and cryptic for a month or more, or I might just dry the rock out. I'm not sure what I'll do with it at this point. It's a pretty decent sized chunk of rock with a garden of aiptasia and blue clove polyps. Just what everybody wants for Christmas!

Mr. Microscope

My fiance goes to the big island (Kona side) at least two or three times a year, to get out of the dreary rainy weather here in Oregon. We finally decided that it was time to just go for it and move. We just got word from the state of Hawaii that our dog has cleared the quarantine restriction and is free to move there after 90 days. My fiance is watching real estate listings and rental listings over there. She's planning a trip after we sell our house here to secure housing over there.

I was talking to the guy at the only LFS in the area while I was there last time and with the right permits and licenses, you can collect your own zoanthids, invertebrates and fish. I'm planning to set my tanks up when we get there and have build my own zoa garden/mantis tank. I'm really interested in finding a P. ciliata and an O. brevirostris for the tanks.

It should be interesting and fun. If I can, I'll find a way to get a educational permit to keep some SPS.

Sounds like a great plan. Good luck on making your tropical dreams come true!
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I removed a large chunk of rock that was completely covered with blue cloves, nice rock, but this system has way too much rock now that I don't have the mantis in there, so I'm slowly taking pieces out over time.

Please think of me when you remove more blue clove rocks.

• 6 years later...