Pod Your Reef

G. Ternatensis Mantis Shrimp Tank Build!

Islandoftiki

Islandoftiki

I believe that the addition of Selcon to the diet of both my G. Ternatensis and my O. Scyllarus have improved coloration.

They are both stunningly beautiful in different ways. Chuck was extra personable tonight and he's made the switch from scallops to krill. It took a couple weeks for him to get excited about the krill. He would eat it before, but now he shows a strong interest in it.

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

Man your mantis gots awesome colors

Yeah, like I mentioned, the Selcon seems to have something to do with that. He was pretty when I first got him, but he's has much better color now. The other day, my fiance commented on how much more colorful he is now.

Between Cuck and Betty, we have a pretty colorful crew of mantis shrimp in our house.

• 2 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

Here's a little mantis bad-assery for you this evening. Chuck throws down some nice threat posturing for you all:

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

New trick!

As of yesterday, Chuck now recognizes the food baggie with Selcon soaked krill in it. He can recognize it from at least 6 feet away or more.

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

I thought you all might enjoy this. My fiance does a lot of pottery work and as a present to me, she did a series of mantis shrimp coffee mugs! These are based on our O. Scyllarus and our G. Ternatensis. The pictures don't do them justice.

0336A25E-orig_zps16c853b8.jpg

E481D63A-orig_zpsc362aab9.jpg

• Like 3

Those are so cool! I know a lot of people who would pay good money for a set of those...

I thought you all might enjoy this. My fiance does a lot of pottery work and as a present to me, she did a series of mantis shrimp coffee mugs! These are based on our O. Scyllarus and our G. Ternatensis. The pictures don't do them justice.

0336A25E-orig_zps16c853b8.jpg

E481D63A-orig_zpsc362aab9.jpg

Islandoftiki

Imagine if you will an epic battle between a mantis shrimp and an African grey parrot.

Now watch it for real!

• Like 4
Islandoftiki

Hey that is my fav bird! lol love the video.

We have two African greys. That one is our timneh named Ahnie. He's a real sweetie. Our other is a congo named Dory and equally as adorable. Whenever Dory sees the mantis shrimp, she says, "Mmmmmm." She loves seafood. I keep telling her the mantis shrimp are our friends, not our dinner.

We have two African greys. That one is our timneh named Ahnie. He's a real sweetie. Our other is a congo named Dory and equally as adorable. Whenever Dory sees the mantis shrimp, she says, "Mmmmmm." She loves seafood. I keep telling her the mantis shrimp are our friends, not our dinner.

haha love it! I want an african grey but not practical for me right now... not enough time to give it the attention it would need. Oh well... someday.