Cultivated Reef

Clayton's ADA 60F LPS Dominant Reef

ClaytonG

Hmmm in a 6g...not sure if that's a good idea. Well, if it's that small should be fine for the time being. What kind of lighting? As long as the lights are able to sustain an sps tank, a clam can be easily cared for in the same tank. Yuppp. Sorry to answer this question for clayton!!! My friend! lol
You are his assistant. Lol

Clayton if I have any questions I will just PM your assistant. Lol

• Like 2
  • Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 4

You are his assistant. Lol

Clayton if I have any questions I will just PM your assistant. Lol

I'm his number 1 assistant!! lololol According to this thread.

• Like 1

Hmmm in a 6g...not sure if that's a good idea. Well, if it's that small should be fine for the time being. What kind of lighting? As long as the lights are able to sustain an sps tank, a clam can be easily cared for in the same tank.

8 ..... Lighting is a DiY 4 cree nw 3 watt led's ,3 rb 3watt Led's & 3 cb 3 watt aswell, its m first attemp on a sps pico tank is a fluval edge drilled to a 3 gallon sump fuge and no skimmer. Going to run bio pellets, also looking dor a tunze9002 . All blues are dimable thru buckpuck drivers, whits are also dimmable thru buckpuck drivers.

Deleted User 4

Did you buy that one? I was eyeing it as well.

lolol Nope, too expensive. They get a lot of good stuff in but wayy overpriced. I'd rather buy from ebay or lfs if anything.

I thought I should come over and say hello or something profound.

Lol thanks!?

lolol Nope, too expensive. They get a lot of good stuff in but wayy overpriced. I'd rather buy from ebay or lfs if anything.

Did you see how much they wanted for the blue squamosas they got in around Christmas? $400... Just couldn't do it.

Deleted User 4

Lol thanks!? Did you see how much they wanted for the blue squamosas they got in around Christmas? $400... Just couldn't do it.

lolol Yeah, but they do get some nice stuff.....it's all about the hype these days. The price rich people are willing to pay for :)

Also I got confirmation on my orders today. So I'll be away from the ADA and the 75 from the end of April until mid-October. I'm going to try to keep doing updates though. I am going to leave my GoPro at home so I can have my mom continue getting FTS every couple of weeks. I'll still be on here though, the planning for my big build is what is going to keep me occupied while I'm away (in San Antonio). Now to just get my orders written, plane tickets, and this thing sumped!

Lol thanks!? Did you see how much they wanted for the blue squamosas they got in around Christmas? $400... Just couldn't do it.

Blue squamosas are rare and that is the going price at the moment.

So trying to get a few ideas for my future drilling of this tank for my sump. I want to keep everything hidden to a degree. I am considering as well to drill a second intake to provide an emergency overflow. All of the pipes will be drilled through the bottom and I will then drill a hole to size through the rocks, efficiently hiding the pipes. The main intake will be a full siphon controlled by a ball valve. The emergency intake will be an open ended standpipe with some sort of natural looking cover since it will be placed much higher near the waterline. They will be plumbed separately in case one is partially blocked by a snail or other obstruction. I plan on making both capable of handling all of the return flow, that way floods can be fully prevented.

Here are my ideas, minus the location of the emergency intake.

post-76767-0-00481800-1357453113_thumb.jpg

are you going to drain the tank and drill it? i don't think you need a ball valve on the intake though..

The intake will be a full siphon (aka fully submerged) so the ball valve will control the amount of water it drains. Looking at it now it will be very similar to the herby technique if include the emergency intake.

mmhkay i think i understand. i've only done one kind of overflow anyways. what's going to be in the sump? anything interesting?

mmhkay i think i understand. i've only done one kind of overflow anyways. what's going to be in the sump? anything interesting?

I'm going to link my apex between this tank and my 75. Probably put in a skimmer just for safety since I won't be around to watch it. Add a refugium and a compartment for the dosing to disperse in, and an ATO system. I'm just tired of the lily pipes and the canister filter. I'm going to have a guy from my LFS coming by every Sunday while I'm on my deployment for 6 months. So I want to limit the amount of things that can go wrong in between visits. I'll have someone around to look at the tanks everyday (my mom), but I don't want her to have to do a lot of maintenance.

Deleted User 4

Hmm I just read bad reviews on these red mini maxi's....apparently wild ones brought in, dies early soooo I'm totally assuming goldenreefbasket is selling a wild one. Don't buy it lol. Last minute warning but yeah ahah.

Hmm I just read bad reviews on these red mini maxi's....apparently wild ones brought in, dies early soooo I'm totally assuming goldenreefbasket is selling a wild one. Don't buy it lol. Last minute warning but yeah ahah.

Oh I know. I posted the same one on the red mini maxi thread. The ATL ones are the ones we're looking for. Luckily they aren't to pricey.

Also having to go back to the overflow box design. My method above would drain half the water in the display if the power shut off. There is a solution to it, putting a electric switch valve that would close in the event of a power outage. But that could also result in a flood if it were to close while the pumps were still running.

• Like 1

Archived