inTank Media Baskets

Clayton's ADA 60F LPS Dominant Reef

ClaytonG

This is my first saltwater tank. I've been reading up and researching for the past two months and Nano-Reef has been extremely helpful. I originally started with plans on just owning a 75 gallon reef-ready, but since the stand is on backorder, I didn't want to wait until December to get started. My plan for this tank is to just learn and get used to maintaining a reef aquarium. I started this tank on 10/10 at 12:00, using Smart Start by Tender Living Care (nitrifying bacteria) and a bag of copepods I was able to get the cycle to run it's course rather quickly. All of my live rock was purchased in town and transferred submerged in a styrofoam cooler to lower the die off. One of the rocks I wanted a mini-Maxi attached that refused to let go, so I went ahead and got him to. To round things up by 2200 on 10/10 my Nitrites were at 2.5 ppm, Nitrates were 40 ppm, and Ammonia was 0. After a water change this morning Nitrites were 0 ppm, Ammonia 0 ppm, and Nitrates were 15ppm. So I went ahead and added the rock with the mini-maxi to the display tank (was quarantined) and everything is doing well. Currently the only problem I have is some aptasia, which is being shot up with boiling lime water every 4-5 hours. flame.gifThe rock they're colonizing is extremely porous and they seem to just move from one crevice to the next. If I can't put a dent in the population by tomorrow I'll probably give a peppermint shrimp a go. Also I would just remove the rock and boil it, but the mini-maxi won't let go :angry:

So anyways here is my build:

• Equipment:
  • ADA 60-F
  • Kessil A150W Ocean Blue 15k
  • Fluval 206 canister filter (Floss, Matrix carbon, and biomax)
  • DoAqua Lilly Pipes (mini-input 13D; output-VP1 13D)
  • Walmart heater (rarely used)
  • Ecotech Vortech MP10wEs

• Fish:
  • Black and White Ocellaris
  • Lawnmower Blennie (Flake trained)

• Inverts:
  • Blue Maxima Clam
  • Gold Maxima Clam
  • Emerald Maxima Clam
  • Ruby Emerald Crab
  • Pom Pom Crab
  • Mini-maxi Carpet
  • Rock Anemone
  • Feather Duster

• Soft Corals:
  • Toadstool Leather
  • Blue Xenia
  • Yellow Star Polyps
  • Green People Eaters
  • Green striped mushroom
  • Blue mushroom
  • Flamethrower mushroom
  • Eagle Eye Zoas
  • Blue Sympodium Polyps
  • Tubs Blue Zoas

• LPS:
  • Orange Dendrophyllia
  • Green Duncan
  • Rainbow Open Brain
  • Green and Purple Blastomussa Wellsi
  • Orange and Green Blastomussa Wellsi
  • Galaxia sp.
  • Kryptonite Candy Cane
  • Blue and Green Candy Cane
  • Green Crater Coral
  • Flame Thrower Chalice
  • Lava Chalice
  • Sun Polyps
  • Orange Modern
  • Bubble Coral
  • Purple Tip Hammer
  • Purple Torch
  • Red Acan Lord
  • Red and Green Acan Lord
  • Purple and Green Blastomussa Merllti
  • Reverse Prism Dragon Soul Favia
  • War Coral
  • Purple Scolymia

• SPS:
  • Red Montipora
  • Green Montipora
  • Green Candy Apple Birdsnest
  • Green Birdsnest

FTS: January 1st, 2013
8331739797_14830d2edd_b.jpg
GOPR9675 by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

FTS: November 18, 2012
8195313565_ae54c53d41_b.jpg
GOPR9031.jpg by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

FTS: October 31, 2012
8188869683_bcb7a5beee_b.jpg
GOPR8791 by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great start. I will be posting mine soon too. Love ADA tanks

Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for yours! Are you going the lilly pipe route or drilling it?

I had great luck with the peppermint shrimp getting out the aptasia. Nice start ya got there, looks good.

Thanks for the recommendation. I got one friday night actually and it has been hard at work cleaning out the aptasia. I couldn't find any this morning, but I'll give it another week before I'll consider it eradicated. Luckily there were no large polyps, there was only about 20-30 small (2-5 cm) anenomes hanging out in there.

Thanks for the recommendation. I got one friday night actually and it has been hard at work cleaning out the aptasia. I couldn't find any this morning, but I'll give it another week before I'll consider it eradicated. Luckily there were no large polyps, there was only about 20-30 small (2-5 cm) anenomes hanging out in there.

Good to hear. I think it took my guy about a week to clear them out. But, it sounds like you have more than I did.

So here is a big update! I was able to acquire most of my planned livestock over the weekend and today. Added a lot of livestock, list is updated in the initial post.

No update would be complete without...

8095995692_0ae3658887_b.jpg

8095996912_d5e9fe738f_b.jpg

8095994520_fb0579cc13_b.jpg

8095993144_78918438be_b.jpg

8095991752_dfce33332f_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
Nice!

What is that Kessil attached to? Looks clean!

I'm using the gooseneck that kessil offers. Then that's attached to the glass. The only issue I have with it is the possibility of corrosion since the clamp is usually touching the water. The clamp is anodized so it should last a long time before it corrodes, but I just don't like taking that chance. I'm thinking about making an extension to the desk it's on for the light to clamp on.

So I have a large update for this thread, mainly to the livestock lists as well as some pictures from last month. I updated all the livestock currently in the tank in the initial post. Now for the pictures, these are all from October 30, 2012. I'll be taking some more tomorrow, since I have added and moved a few things around since the last photos were taken.

Also I currently have a BTA and a maroon clown pair in my tank. They are not staying there. My 75 gal tank will be wet in another week and that will be their new home when it is ready.

8189947822_583f77a473_b.jpg

GOPR8953 by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8188868313_f3d72e082a_b.jpg

GOPR8969 by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8189948316_35a224cab0_b.jpg

GOPR8915 by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8189948754_c34a144d98_b.jpg

GOPR8888 by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8188869499_fcfe7781ca_b.jpg

GOPR8840 by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

I'm using the gooseneck that kessil offers. Then that's attached to the glass. The only issue I have with it is the possibility of corrosion since the clamp is usually touching the water. The clamp is anodized so it should last a long time before it corrodes, but I just don't like taking that chance. I'm thinking about making an extension to the desk it's on for the light to clamp on.

Oh, I didn't know they make a mount for their lamps. Very nice look. Are you using anything between it and the glass, to protect from scratches?

Oh, I didn't know they make a mount for their lamps. Very nice look. Are you using anything between it and the glass, to protect from scratches?

The Clamp has about a 2inch surface that it rests on along the top of the glass and then they provided plastic screws to tighten it down. I haven't really worried about scratches. If I did leave any, and that's a definite if, then it would be covered by the clamp for eternity. You could put some thin rubber or something between it though if you were really worried about it. Most of the weight rests on the top of the glass and the screws though, so I doubt there is really a chance of scratching. The only problem I have with it lately is salt creep on the front clamping surface.

I was able to get some more pictures this morning. Hopefully I can get a new camera soon so that I can get some more detailed shots. I am definitely pushing the limits of my GoPro Hero2's capabilities with this tank. My intake shattered yesterday while I was cleaning it, so there is a makeshift one in place for now until I get a new one in.

8195394395_8bb50fa7f4_b.jpg

GOPR9120.jpg by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8195313565_ae54c53d41_b.jpg

GOPR9031.jpg by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8196500820_6bf08d2deb_b.jpg

GOPR9036.jpg by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8195329687_e8b2f433c3_b.jpg

GOPR9113.jpg by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8195392287_7f51f24bb1_b.jpg

GOPR9103.jpg by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8195344151_d22f1b4b9d_b.jpg

GOPR9117.jpg by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8196421100_d0dc391057_b.jpg

GOPR9112.jpg by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8195333823_335e1955f3_b.jpg

GOPR9115.jpg by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8195340307_4381a98f43_b.jpg

GOPR9116.jpg by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

Deleted User 4

Nice!! Love the maxima clams you got there!

Am really planning on a ada mini L or 60f/p for my next tank, may I ask where you got this tank from?

Do you have a picture of your sump?

Nice!! Love the maxima clams you got there!

Am really planning on a ada mini L or 60f/p for my next tank, may I ask where you got this tank from?

Do you have a picture of your sump?

Thanks! I got the tank directly from Aqua Forest Aquarium, Aqua Design Amano, based in california: http://www.adana-usa.com/. Shipping prices weren't terrible and the tank was packaged very well. If you are on the east coast or in Texas try Aqua Design Group: http://www.adgshop.com/default.asp. They have the same offerings but may be closer to you.

As for a sump, I don't have one right now. I'm using a fluval canister filter with tons of filter floss, Chemi Pure Elite, and Purigen. The 305 adds an additional 1.5 gallons to the system and makes water changes really easy. I have a deployment coming up and I want to switch to a sump so that I can make a few more things automated. I really want to have an ATO system and some room for chaeto, maybe a skimmer as well. All of which would have to go in the display at the moment. I do water changes twice and sometimes three times a week, I would really like to get that down so that it can be less of a hassle while I'm gone.

Deleted User 4
Thanks! I got the tank directly from Aqua Forest Aquarium, Aqua Design Amano, based in california: http://www.adana-usa.com/. Shipping prices weren't terrible and the tank was packaged very well. If you are on the east coast or in Texas try Aqua Design Group: http://www.adgshop.com/default.asp. They have the same offerings but may be closer to you.

As for a sump, I don't have one right now. I'm using a fluval canister filter with tons of filter floss, Chemi Pure Elite, and Purigen. The 305 adds an additional 1.5 gallons to the system and makes water changes really easy. I have a deployment coming up and I want to switch to a sump so that I can make a few more things automated. I really want to have an ATO system and some room for chaeto, maybe a skimmer as well. All of which would have to go in the display at the moment. I do water changes twice and sometimes three times a week, I would really like to get that down so that it can be less of a hassle while I'm gone.

Yupp, that's where I'm planning on getting mine. Just wanted to see if there were any where else to get one. I'm also leaning towards to one or two hob aquaclear filters along with jbj unibody or ai nano sol.

Wow, that's alot of work considering I only do a water change every 3 weeks or a month...lol.

Looking forward to your sump or say, what ever you come up with before your deployment.

Who's going to watch your tank while you're out for how long?

My mom will look after this one and my soon to be 75 gallon. It's a deployment to San Antonio for 6 months, so nothing to extreme. I've also been talking to a local reefer that takes care of some of the show tanks in Destin, Fl and he's willing to come by twice a month or on an as needed basis.

I think this tank will be much less time consuming once I can get the BTA and maroon clownfish pair over to the 75 gal. The tank can handle the bioload, it's just removing the nitrates that's the problem. I think I'll keep the weekly water changes afterwards though, just keep everything balanced and to reduce supplements.

I really liked the AI Nano Sol, especially for this tank. It has so many features and capabilities. I'm considering putting AI's on my 75, but I really like the kessils. I have absolutely no complaints with this light so far, but the AI's do have some cool features. It would be kinda cool to have a random thunderstorm every once and awhile.

The Clamp has about a 2inch surface that it rests on along the top of the glass and then they provided plastic screws to tighten it down. I haven't really worried about scratches. If I did leave any, and that's a definite if, then it would be covered by the clamp for eternity. You could put some thin rubber or something between it though if you were really worried about it. Most of the weight rests on the top of the glass and the screws though, so I doubt there is really a chance of scratching. The only problem I have with it lately is salt creep on the front clamping surface.

So aside from the metal touching the top edge of the tank, there's also metal pressing against the side of the tank, right? Like, on the other side of the glass from the plastic screws. I'd be nervous that the metal might rub against the glass.

You seem really worried about the glass. In my experiences with it, if your careful there shouldn't be any issues. Just make sure there isn't any movement or rubbing going on. Which in reality your probably going to have the clamp so tight hat it will never move, in fear of the light falling into the water (like me). You could put some type of protectant under the surface if you really wanted to make sure it was safe. I think some clear 3M type adhesive strips would do the trick. Keeping in mind though kessil is very good with detail and this clamp is designed to go right up against the glass.

Deleted User 4

I see. Good to know you have it all concisely organized.

What's up there in San Antonio? Hhaa, I have the kessils a150w skyblue right now and it's doing fine but just don't like it not having the dimmable features.

Thunderstorm mode would be a natural killer haha.

Definitely liking the jbj unibody though, just that I like the touching screen sensor on the ai nano.

Archived