Coral Vue Hydros

Clayton's ADA 60F LPS Dominant Reef

ClaytonG

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought. I'm really happy with this tank, but with all the changes I'm about to make (getting an actual stand, sump, and hanging the light) should I get a Deep Blue 24x24x12 (all starfire)? I feel like I wouldn't have to worry about all this drilling mess or making room for an overflow box in an already cramped space. I know it would run me around $600 for the tank and stand, plus I may have to get another Kessil. I want to have a nano that is easily kept for the long haul. I feel like this one looks great but lacks many of the features that would make it's upkeep easier. My other issue is finding a dealer around here that sells them... If I got the Deep Blue I would leave the rocks the same and just have more open space and room for LPS.

Thoughts, Comments, Concerns?

I have the 24x24x12 by deep blue and love it.. perfect dimensions for what I wanted to do. We have a ton of people carrying deep blue in central Florida (Orlando). Check with Art at LBA corals, WWC, or the guys at Ocean Direct. All three guys carry them and could help you out with getting one

I have the 24x24x12 by deep blue and love it.. perfect dimensions for what I wanted to do. We have a ton of people carrying deep blue in central Florida (Orlando). Check with Art at LBA corals, WWC, or the guys at Ocean Direct. All three guys carry them and could help you out with getting one

Thanks, I'll check them out. I contacted Deep Blue to see where the closest retailer is. I'd be willing to drive to Tallahassee to pick it up, but I would rather it be shipped to some degree.

What do you think of the glass? I read a few reviews stating that it is not anywhere near the low-iron grade glass used in ADA's or Elos tanks. For the price I think it's a great buy, I just dont' want to down grade my glass clarity in the process. My 75 gallon is from perfecto and I have my tanks sitting across from each other. The difference is quite noticeable. Most of the pictures I've seen of them though look like low-iron, which makes mee question the negative reviews.

I really like the demminsions as well, it's pretty much going to double the width of what I have now and add another 5 inches in depth. The depth I'm not real thrilled about but it's still shallow enough. I might add another Kessil A150w to compensate.

Thanks, I'll check them out. I contacted Deep Blue to see where the closest retailer is. I'd be willing to drive to Tallahassee to pick it up, but I would rather it be shipped to some degree.

What do you think of the glass? I read a few reviews stating that it is not anywhere near the low-iron grade glass used in ADA's or Elos tanks. For the price I think it's a great buy, I just dont' want to down grade my glass clarity in the process. My 75 gallon is from perfecto and I have my tanks sitting across from each other. The difference is quite noticeable. Most of the pictures I've seen of them though look like low-iron, which makes mee question the negative reviews.

I really like the demminsions as well, it's pretty much going to double the width of what I have now and add another 5 inches in depth. The depth I'm not real thrilled about but it's still shallow enough. I might add another Kessil A150w to compensate.

I've only had it sitting side by side with the Mr Aqua low Iron and its right there with it as far as quality and clarity of glass, but I can't comment in comparison to ADA . I don't have a single complaint so far in the four months it has been running, and the price was definitely right. I picked mine up from Ocean direct for $100 after they used it for a few days at a conference. Give them a shout and see what they have and if they can ship.

I've only had it sitting side by side with the Mr Aqua low Iron and its right there with it as far as quality and clarity of glass, but I can't comment in comparison to ADA . I don't have a single complaint so far in the four months it has been running, and the price was definitely right. I picked mine up from Ocean direct for $100 after they used it for a few days at a conference. Give them a shout and see what they have and if they can ship.

Thanks, did you use the deep blue stand or make your own?

Thanks, did you use the deep blue stand or make your own?
I bought the deep blue stand for mine. 195 At my LFS nice a sturdy I have no complaints. You will not be unhappy with the glass Clayton. I have owned a Elos and from my memory I don't see much difference. No green tint in the glass or anything like that. Also one of the big stores ships this tank. A member posted it up can't recall what store.

A Kessil would look HAWT on this tank. I have a disco ball pendant and it looks good.

I hope you get one about to start a Deep Blue rimless club.

Deleted User 4

Hmmm I wouldn't replace the ada tank with a deep blue. Ada glass is top notch clarity and you will notice the difference. I believe from what I heard, ada glass is far clearer than the elos glass. So you can't compare elos glass with deep blue starphire glass. And I'm not too surprised.

Just my two cents. If you want more space, I suggest a bigger new ada. Then you will be very happy lol.

Deleted User 4

Does ADA make a 24x24x12 with a drilled overflow?

Nope, but like Clayton said, he doesn't want to downgrade glass clarity. Remember, the elos tanks only use starphire glass in the front panel. The side and back glasses used to make elos tanks are not starphire which is why it's not as clear as it can be. Ada uses all 4 sides as starphire, and I know how it's like because I compare it with my manta ray 18's regular glass and there's hugeee difference. Just saying, ada's glass tops deep blue and elos glass.

Nope, but like Clayton said, he doesn't want to downgrade glass clarity. Remember, the elos tanks only use starphire glass in the front panel. The side and back glasses used to make elos tanks are not starphire which is why it's not as clear as it can be. Ada uses all 4 sides as starphire, and I know how it's like because I compare it with my manta ray 18's regular glass and there's hugeee difference. Just saying, ada's glass tops deep blue and elos glass.

Yeah I know elos only uses starphire on the front I have owned one. Comparing apples to oranges when comparing Deep Blue to your manta ray. Deep Blue uses a opti clear glass on there rimless tanks. It is there brand of Starphire glass. I had my Elos mini right beside my Deep Blue 75 and the Deep Blue glass was better. Then when I took my 75 down I had the 24x24x12 right beside my 75 edge and the glass was the same clarity. He would be happy with the glass I am sure of it. Plus the added benefit of having a sump instead of a hang on the back filter.
Deleted User 4

Does ADA make a 24x24x12 with a drilled overflow?

But then again, if Clayton buys the starphire glass version of deep blue then I guess that can work. But definitely not the regular deep blue series.

Yeah I know elos only uses starphire on the front I have owned one. Comparing apples to oranges when comparing Deep Blue to your manta ray. Deep Blue uses a opti clear glass on there rimless tanks. It is there brand of Starphire glass. I had my Elos mini right beside my Deep Blue 75 and the Deep Blue glass was better. Then when I took my 75 down I had the 24x24x12 right beside my 75 edge and the glass was the same clarity. He would be happy with the glass I am sure of it. Plus the added benefit of having a sump instead of a hang on the back filter.

Lol, you can drill ada's you know and add an overflow? Alot of members here have done it.

Also, elos tanks you can't really compare it with the deep blue tanks considering that all you're seeing is the regular glass of the back on the elos mini...because it shades out the starphire glass in the front, there's no way you can compare the two. They're both practically the same except elos has a starphire front panel. Is your deep blue the regular series or starphire series? I noticed deep blue has two versions to order from. I was assuming you had the regular glass deep blue.

Deep Blue only makes there RIMLESS tanks in Opti Pure glass. They have no other option for the rimless tanks. Opti pure glass is there version of Starphire glass. There RIMMED tanks come in standard glass with the option of upgrading to Opti Pure glass. The RIMLESS tanks are 4 sided Opti Pure glass not just the front and side all 4 panes. I guarantee he will be happy with Deep Blue. There are about 8 of these tanks on NR everyone lives the tank and the glass.

• Like 2
Deleted User 4

Lol, got you. Good luck Clayton!! If he guarantees it, there should be no surprises lol.

But I still think the ada glass is clearer than deep blue's starphire glass and this might have to do with the thickness of the glass.

ADA seems to have a teal colored hue to there glass. I personally think that is why the look so clear.

But anywho I think he would like it but makes no difference to me if he decides to not buy one. LoL

• Like 2
Deleted User 4

ADA seems to have a teal colored hue to there glass. I personally think that is why the look so clear.

But anywho I think he would like it but makes no difference to me if he decides to not buy one. LoL

Mmmm I think ada glass are thinner than other brands' glass which is why it's more prone to scratches.

But I'm sure the deep blue rimless starphire version should be almost as clear as the ada but not exact because of the thickness.

Alright guys Settle down. No aquariums battles unless you can pull out a clarity meter and properly compare. lol I was just worried after reading this Pcshom's deep blue review that it was going to be as green as my standard perfecto 75 gallon. As long as it's low iron I'm fine with it. Don't want to break the bank either, since this wasn't necessarily planned.

Just for kicks and giggles I sent the same dimmensions in to reef savvy to see what they could do. The Deep Blue is my preferred route but if I don't have to pay much more for the reef-savyy (<1300) then I may go that route. Wanted to test the waters anyways since I plan on having them do my large build down the road. I still really like the Deep Blue. I found an online retailer, but they want just under $300, but giv free shipping, so it may equal out. Haven't found a stand yet. I may build one but, still trying to decide.

Lol, you can drill ada's you know and add an overflow? Alot of members here have done it.

I just really want to avoid that. I can drill it, but the overflow box will be unsightly. Getting an ADA that has an overflow would be way out of the price range and i personally don't like them. The algae in the overflow will be way to hard to clean.

Deep Blue only makes there RIMLESS tanks in Opti Pure glass. They have no other option for the rimless tanks. Opti pure glass is there version of Starphire glass. There RIMMED tanks come in standard glass with the option of upgrading to Opti Pure glass. The RIMLESS tanks are 4 sided Opti Pure glass not just the front and side all 4 panes. I guarantee he will be happy with Deep Blue. There are about 8 of these tanks on NR everyone lives the tank and the glass.

That's the answer I've been looking for. Their catalogue didn't say and I couldn't find in anywhere in the web.

Lol, got you. Good luck Clayton!! If he guarantees it, there should be no surprises lol.

But I still think the ada glass is clearer than deep blue's starphire glass and this might have to do with the thickness of the glass.

I think it is the thickness of the glass. Clarity is going to go down the thicker it is, since there is more material.

• Like 1
Deleted User 4

Ohh yeah, reefsavvy is in your area!!! I would go with reefsavvy, but that's just me. Regardless of the prices, if there's only a small difference between the two, I say go for Reefsavvy.

Reason why I didn't go reefsavvy was because I sent them a quote and they were going to charge me more for shipping than the tank itself!!! lol

Ohh yeah, reefsavvy is in your area!!! I would go with reefsavvy, but that's just me. Regardless of the prices, if there's only a small difference between the two, I say go for Reefsavvy.

Reason why I didn't go reefsavvy was because I sent them a quote and they were going to charge me more for shipping than the tank itself!!! lol

How much was the tank and what size? I hate that I have to wait 5-7 days to make a decision, since it may take that long to get a quote I've read that they haven't responded to many people that asked about shallow builds as well. So, we'll see.

I would not agree with Pcshom's review on the glass clarity. Mine has no green tint maybe I am blind or they changed it since he bought his. I have owned a Perfecto now that is GREEN glass. The overflow is noisey because the piece of PvC between the bulkhead and the durso is short making the water drop into the overflow. I fixed this with a longer piece of pvc rasing the overflow water height. Is this tank a Reef Savvy tank? NO but I am happy with it and I have owned Elos. This tank from reef savvy would be 900-1200 shipped. No need to settle down I was never worked up :)

• Like 1
Deleted User 4

How much was the tank and what size?

Lol, don't remember... but the shipping price was alot...Can't you just pick it up since it's in your area?

I tried to bargain on the shipping price because the tank itself wasn't too pricey, I remember that. But, they insist the tank to be shipped in wood crates....lol

They are way to far away even for me. I might consider making a 3 day trip to get it if it would save me a lot on shipping. I think it's like 15 hours. I dont see shipping being more than $300. If it were then it would be pretty cost efficient to go get it. Even if I stayed the night after driving down.

• Like 1
Deleted User 4

They are way to far away even for me. I might consider making a 3 day trip to get it if it would save me a lot on shipping. I think it's like 15 hours. I dont see shipping being more than $300. If it were then it would be pretty cost efficient to go get it. Even if I stayed the night after driving down.

Yeah, but regardless, I would go reefsavvy in a heartbeat if I was in florida. Check out this lady's reefsavvy. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/315094-reef-savvy-50/

I would get black silicone though, looks more attractive. In my opinion, I think reefsavvy's craftsmanship is better than Elos and possibly ada. Silicone alignment wise.

Archived