Cultivated Reef

Full spectrum LED layouts

uglybuckling

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Thoughts about this layout?

Looks evenly spread out I suppose. This will be over a 24x24 area. One of these on each side of the 120g tank. Hopefully somewhat to scale, background supposed to be 18x10 heat sink

ledlayout.jpg

Dont look directly into it.

Various places. Once I have mine all together, I'm going to make a big parts list for everything to make it easier for others.

Quit coming up with new ideas! I will never get my LEDs planned out lol. I have already ordered my drivers, but not the LEDs yet. What would be a good "Evil Cluster" for a standard 90g?

Paleoreef103

Quit coming up with new ideas! I will never get my LEDs planned out lol. I have already ordered my drivers, but not the LEDs yet. What would be a good "Evil Cluster" for a standard 90g?

3 Bridgelux 950 4k, 9 Luxeon rebel M Royal blue, 6 Luxeon rebel es blue, 3 rebel cyan, 9-18 Violet LEDs (hyper violet or steves 414 true violets.

jedimasterben

3 Bridgelux 950 4k, 9 Luxeon rebel M Royal blue, 6 Luxeon rebel es blue, 3 rebel cyan, 9-18 Violet LEDs (hyper violet or steves 414 true violets.

If the tank is braced, where would the third chip go? It would cast a wicked shadow.

Paleoreef103

If the tank is braced, where would the third chip go? It would cast a wicked shadow.

Fair enough. I hadn't thought about the bracing.

They are all luxeon rebels. More than bright enough. I have them dimmed at 50% and they're brighter than my old 56 led setup from aquastyle. The luxeons put out a lot of light! My tank is 48x24x24

They are all luxeon rebels. More than bright enough. I have them dimmed at 50% and they're brighter than my old 56 led setup from aquastyle. The luxeons put out a lot of light! My tank is 48x24x24

Are they much brighter than similar models of Crees?

I believe the luxeons are a tad brighter and a bit cheaper. That's why I was convinced to go with luxeons. I got them from steves. And the heatsink from Milad at led group buy. Both had great service and prices

It's 120g with 3" brace in middle so I will have two modules, one above each side. You can see layout picture in the earlier post by me. Each side -xte 24 rb, xte 12 nw, 16 hv, 5 of each color for 15 total.

Wow. That is twice as many. I have a 8" center brace on my tank. I thought it would cause a problem but it hasn't so far. I just make sure to keep it clean. I wipe it down of dust and salt every couple of weeks.

Yeah, not unless I want to do some serious redecorating for the top frame. I used this tank for a reef few years back with T5 and it wasn't an issue, will see how it looks with two clusters of LEDs though. But since they won't be that high up above the surface I don't really expect much of an issue, sooner will create a cone of light due to fixture not being high enough probably.

Yes. It has a center brace. I was planning on doing 2 heatsinks. In this case would I use 4 950's then? What would I need for the other ratios? Just wanting to see what is more economical.
Paleoreef103

Yes. It has a center brace. I was planning on doing 2 heatsinks. In this case would I use 4 950's then? What would I need for the other ratios? Just wanting to see what is more economical.

The ratios are fine. You can do 4 of them if you want. Alternatively, you could go with 2 1350s as the main arrays. If you do that go with something like 1 1350: 4 Luxeon M RB: 3 blue: 1 cyan: 6-9 Violets.

So I was thinking today o.O Do you think this will light the 120g tank evenly? or should I separate the two big clusters a bit. Maybe move out few LEDs to the outer edges? Or would that server little purpose?

Approximate position of both fixtures above the tank with center brace pictured

fulltank.jpg

Thanks

Yeah thats what I have mine at, I would like it maybe a little bluer though. I'm at 21RB and 14 White and toss in the 4 3ups well, it's pretty white. There are also 6 TV

Would you add more Blue or more Violet?

jedimasterben

I'm running nearly a 3:1 ratio of RB to 5K white and It still hits about a 12Kish color with all at 100%, even without the OCW string on. I think I may have something either wired incorrectly or I messed up how I set up the Meanwell ELN.

Archived