Top Shelf Aquatics

Full spectrum LED layouts

uglybuckling

Just wanted to get some feedback on the cluster pattern. This will be all 3w leds and the clusters would be repeated once more and placed across a 48" heatsink (4 clusters total). Tank is 180g - 72X24X24. Fixture will be placed approx 12" from surface of water and will have 60 degree optics. Each cluster would be made up of:

12 Royal Blue

6 Neutral White

5 Violet

3 Red

3 Cyan

2 Blue

2 Green

2 Cool White

These will be hooked up to an Apex controller.

post-77931-1356060224_thumb.png

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a note, but you can get a Apex (full) version that'll run 4 0-10V dimming signals off the base unit.

Thank you for the info. I will be using the Apex. Good looking out!

Thank you for the info. I will be using the Apex. Good looking out!

Ok, just another quick note - That's the full apex, not the Apex Jr or the Apex lite that I'm talking about. But enjoy, it's a hell of a controller. I'm hoping to upgrade my RKL to one soon.

Ok, just another quick note - That's the full apex, not the Apex Jr or the Apex lite that I'm talking about. But enjoy, it's a hell of a controller. I'm hoping to upgrade my RKL to one soon.

Yeah - it will actually end up being right around the same price to do the Apex full as it would be for the RKE and 2 modules. What do you think about the cluster patterns?

Im looking to build my lights soon and was wondering if you guys think this would work over a 20 L:

4 RB, 2NW, 2 TV, 1 Cyan x2

4 RB, 2NW, 2 TV, 1 DR x1

in diamond like clusters? I really would prefer not to use 3 ups.

Thanks

Why are you not wanting to use 3 ups? Your color mixture is gonna be a little off running the two cyan and one Dr on opposite ends of the tank. If you don't want to run the RBs and NWs on 3 ups I do recommend at least getting one OCW per side so the colors mix like they should.

Yeah - it will actually end up being right around the same price to do the Apex full as it would be for the RKE and 2 modules. What do you think about the cluster patterns?

I'd say the Full apex is a better system than the RKE, and that's as an RKL owner.

Oh, you asked about clusters. My feelings is that any time you have 2 LEDs in a cluster as the minimum number of LEDs in that cluster, then the cluster is too large and it should be split in two clusters to fight shadowing/prevent spot lighting effects. It looks like you could split that in two pretty easily which would be my preference, but that's just me.

Im looking to build my lights soon and was wondering if you guys think this would work over a 20 L:

4 RB, 2NW, 2 TV, 1 Cyan x2

4 RB, 2NW, 2 TV, 1 DR x1

in diamond like clusters? I really would prefer not to use 3 ups.

Thanks

If I were to do a 20L DIY LED, i'd do 3 clusters of 4 RB, 2NW, 2TV, and 1 OCW. Coincidently this is what I just did for my 20L light. Of course, this is exactly what I did. If I wasn't going to use 3ups (I'm not sure why you wouldn't for a 20L) then I might drop it to 3 RBs instead of 4 per cluster, but that's a personal preference that leans towards a higher color temp.

I'd say the Full apex is a better system than the RKE, and that's as an RKL owner.

Oh, you asked about clusters. My feelings is that any time you have 2 LEDs in a cluster as the minimum number of LEDs in that cluster, then the cluster is too large and it should be split in two clusters to fight shadowing/prevent spot lighting effects. It looks like you could split that in two pretty easily which would be my preference, but that's just me.

What about something like this?

post-77931-1356198597_thumb.jpg

I am looking at getting a Deep Sea Aquatics Neo 65 which is 36x20x21. I'm trying to spec out some LED's from LedGroupBuy by increasing the quantities in Figure 8, the 40B layout, by about 50%. I ended up with two groups of 5 OCW, 6 TV, 8 2RB-1NW tri-stars.

Below the V is violet, T is tristar of 2RB1NW, and O is OCW. Would repeat the layout below twice.

V  T  V
  T O  O  T
V  T  O  T  V
  T O  O  T
   V  T  V

So the total is

32 RB LEDs at 700mA

16 NW at 700mA

12 True Violet at 500mA

10 OCW at 500mA

First question is for the layout gurus, of course, is this overkill or underkill for the tank I'm contemplating?

Second question is what to do about optics. The 2RB1NW that LEDGroupBuy sells have 40 degree optics available. I assume the default is 90 degree? The OCW don't specify the angle. The True Violets seem to be very limited with what is available. As far as I can see the only option available to put into a cart is 6 packs of 60 degree optics.

So it seems like I can't avoid a mix of optics. What would folks advise? I'd kind of like to have the lights a bit higher like 18 inches or so with tighter optics since the tank I'm getting has no center brace or top trim and I think it would look nicer up higher.

oldtimereefer

Hi, I am interested in building a full spectrum LED layout on my 75g tank (48,18,18). I think it is important to have a wide spectrum of light to more closely replicate the sun. I venture to guess no one really knows all of the interactions of all the light frequencies and their effect on the organism we have in our reef tanks.

I want to design it with extra LED output so I can run it with less current which gives me a cooler set-up but still using fans just running lower voltage for lower quieter speed. This also gives me more flexibility down the road.

I was thinking of using 3 of the 12" makersLED heat sink kits which seem like a really easy way to go. I have access to an end mill but spending all day drilling and taping holes does not sound like a way to go. My current thinking is setting them up running across the shortest distance, the end ones 6" from the end then of course the other in the center, with 60 degree optics, and then using the fig#5 layout on each heat sink.

Of course this is just my best guess based upon reading information off and one across the web over the years and what is here.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Over the years I have been running VHO T5's but I believe now is the time for LED's to take over.

1 center brace

You will lose a good bit of light having a cluster directly over that brace if the LEDs are preetty close to it. How close to the waterline are you going to run them?

xerophyte_nyc

New LED build in the works

I currently have a 39G cube with a 120W LED array consisting of half 12K whites and the other half 440 and 460nm blues, along with a couple Ecoxotic Panorama Pros to add some magenta and royal blue.

In the plans are a new LED lamp, using a 12" MakersLED heatsink and 2 clusters, each consisting of

• (2) OCW
  • (4) 3-up NW:RB:RB
  • (3) Hyper-violet 430nm
  • (5) True-violet 405nm

Yes, it is overkill. I plan to run at reduced power so there is less heat, and the extra watts give me more headroom to tinker with the colors. Meanwell drivers and a Typhon controller will complete the build.

Here is a preliminary layout:

LEDlayout.jpg

Looking forward to sharing the build, just not sure how long it will take, between work and family!

I am planning a full spectrum LED setup for a standard sized 90g (48x18x25). How many LED would I need and how should I arrange them? Also can I get away with not using optics since only the 40 degree ones are available in the 3ups ? Thanks.

Break it down into 24"x24" areas, and you'd do two of the last layout.

Would that be overkill since the tank is only 18" deep? It would be (2) 24"x18" sections.

Hi,

First: Great thread.

Now to my question, I want to build a light for my 1gallon pico 7"w x 6"h x 5"w. Tank inhabitants will be mini nem and birdsnest with some palys or zoas. I want to use LEDgb equipment. I want to be able to control the color. Height of light can be adjustable.

What do you recommend?

Thanks

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

I am planning a full spectrum LED setup for a standard sized 90g (48x18x25). How many LED would I need and how should I arrange them? Also can I get away with not using optics since only the 40 degree ones are available in the 3ups ? Thanks.

Break it down into 24"x24" areas, and you'd do two of the last layout.

Would that be overkill since the tank is only 18" deep? It would be (2) 24"x18" sections.

Anyone have input on this? It seems like an awful lot of LEDs. Thanks.

If you're not running optics that's how I'd do it.

If I went with optics, could I use less? I would be willing to use individual diodes since the 3ups only come in 40 degree option.

Archived