Top Shelf Aquatics

mike c's Forty-B

mike c

MeanGreenEyes
Lol, zip ties...and more zip ties...

May have to bribe the kid's to climb back there and do just that...lol. I could pay them in cookies. Seriously, I'll do something with it as soon as the million other things I'm dealing with wind down.

Made any decisions on livestock yet for this tank?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
May have to bribe the kid's to climb back there and do just that...lol. I could pay them in cookies. Seriously, I'll do something with it as soon as the million other things I'm dealing with wind down.

Made any decisions on livestock yet for this tank?

Ahh yes, child labor..lol. My 6yr old son likes to help with tank maintenance, but it's more like fetch me this and get me that. But he enjoys it.

Im getting rid of the two chromis. Then thinking of one or two more large fish, like an Anthias or something. And then a couple small fish, like a Barnacle blenny, or a shrimp n goby pair.

MeanGreenEyes
Ahh yes, child labor..lol. My 6yr old son likes to help with tank maintenance, but it's more like fetch me this and get me that. But he enjoys it.

Im getting rid of the two chromis. Then thinking of one or two more large fish, like an Anthias or something. And then a couple small fish, like a Barnacle blenny, or a shrimp n goby pair.

My 10 yr old son is totally into reefing and attends every local swap with me, the girl (11) and other boy (8)...not so much. My YWG and Ora pearlberry belong to my son. -_-

That sounds like an awesome plan. I love anthias and barnacle blenny's...please make sure to keep us updated as you go. Already subscribed. :)

Well, unfortunately, Im thinking about getting rid of my Red-Lined/Christmas wrasse

Its a great fish, but it has decimated my snail population. Gonna order up some more from John at Reefcleaners.

Well, unfortunately, Im thinking about getting rid of my Red-Lined/Christmas wrasse

Its a great fish, but it has decimated my snail population. Gonna order up some more from John at Reefcleaners.

Ouch. Well, if you do text me because I am interested in some more stuff as well.

Sorry about the snail muncher. Maybe if ou fed him more he wouldn't eat the house cleaning staff?

I like the light, question, how do you swing it out of the way when you have to work on the tank?

I've noticed the nass snails wont come out during the day anymore, even during feeding. There's a mix of about a dozen cerith and nerites that are emptied out shells. Because of this, I've noticed the CUC as a whole isn't as effective as it was before the wrasse. Id much sooner get rid of him than feed the tank more. I prefer once a day feeds.

The lights I just raise up to get into the tank, when I HAVE too. Usually try to stay out. The fixture raises to about 12", so just enough room to get in there if need be.

After a debating, I decided to pull the Xmas wrasse. Gorgeous fish, got along fine with my Solon wrasse, but just had an appetite for snails, and hermits. Live and learn. In other news, took a trip down to Vivid Aquariums and picked up a couple more corals!

I'll get some better pics up tomorrow, as the corals are pissed. Got a Bleeding Apple blasto, and a acan labeled Ember acan (orange and blue).

Pissed off Blasto

2012-12-14_20-03-51_195.jpg

How are those acans and the blasto doing Mike?

They're doing great!! Here's a few pics, the Acan is hard to get a good pic of.

2012-12-15_13-20-22_134.jpg

2012-12-15_13-20-34_879.jpg

2012-12-14_20-04-26_594.jpg

2012-12-14_20-04-46_456.jpg

You like red colored corals. When I started stocking up everything I bought was green, then everything orange, I guess we are attracted to different hues at different times.

It's funny you picked up on that. I tend to shy away from too much green, as it's a pretty common color in the hobby. Im sure I'll have a few nice green pieces too, as it does add a lot of pop. But for some reason these colors caught my attention.

It's funny you picked up on that. I tend to shy away from too much green, as it's a pretty common color in the hobby. Im sure I'll have a few nice green pieces too, as it does add a lot of pop. But for some reason these colors caught my attention.

Things are looking good.

I know what you mean about the greens, but it glows so well under blue light. :)

I like the rics, very unique color combination.

Things are looking good.

I know what you mean about the greens, but it glows so well under blue light. :)

I like the rics, very unique color combination.

Thanks. Yeah greens REALLY pop nice, especially at night under moonlights. I was looking for an orange ric, and a blue one. Found a two color blue/orange and just had to swoop it!

Thanks. Yeah greens REALLY pop nice, especially at night under moonlights. I was looking for an orange ric, and a blue one. Found a two color blue/orange and just had to swoop it!

Mike do you like the pink one's

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a new addition for the tank today. Got this dope little Scooter Dragonet, he's only like an inch and a half! They had a dozen of them, in different tanks throughout the store. This is the only one a saw eating frozen brine. A few were pretty sad looking, very skinny. From the second he entered the tank, he started cruising around, grazing off the rocks and sandbed. From the looks of it, he's nice and comfortable.

2012-12-29_16-52-47_211.jpg

They are so cute when they hop around like rabbits. Try nutramar ova, it is mighty tasty from what my mandarin tells me.

Lol! My wife calls it her Scooter Bunny! I used to have one in my 28, and she wanted to kill me when I sold it after about a year. My mandarin used to like Ova, I'll give it try, still have some in the freezer.

Picked up a nice green table acro today. Not sure about a true ID, but its a nice bright green/turquoise.

2012-12-31_17-14-36_85.jpg

Another pic of the Bleeding Apple blasto.

2012-12-31_16-39-54_534.jpg

Picked up 3 new frags today! Went with some green colors, to offset the reds. Next I'll look at some blues. Hard to get a good pic, as I replaced one of the bulbs with a UV Super Actinic. From left to right... ORA Brett's purple rim cap, ORA green birdsnest, and an ORA Panope birdsnest.

2013-01-01_16-55-20_141.jpg

bretts_lg.jpg

greenbird_lg.jpg

ponape_lg.jpg

Archived