Coral Vue Hydros

mike c's Forty-B

mike c

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet dude, nice fixture!

Hell yeah, jball! It's sick!

A deal I couldn't pass up! Eventually going to pull the 10k bulb, and upgrade them ATI bulbs, with more blue.

2012-10-20_23-51-50_619.jpg

2012-10-20_23-52-01_551.jpg

I like the first one. But second is good too

Still working on it. That's just rock I had laying around. We'll see where it goes...

this is getting better and better. fixture is awesome. id hang it though.

Thanks, bro! I was thinking about that, wondering how it'd look. It may even be beneficial to raise the fixture up a few more inches.

Thanks, bro! I was thinking about that, wondering how it'd look. It may even be beneficial to raise the fixture up a few more inches.

it makes it so much easier to work on the tank too. if there is a way to hang any fixture that i ever have again i will in a heart beat.

it makes it so much easier to work on the tank too. if there is a way to hang any fixture that i ever have again i will in a heart beat.

Definitely. I have my Ecoxotic fixture over my 28, hung by Yo-Yo's. It's so easy to just lift it up, and get in the tank.

mike c-- could you snap a pic of the yo-yo's...i'm looking for ideas for my 40b.

For sure. When I get home after work, I'll snap a few pics.

:flower:

Wow. Inspiring build. Do you have a record of the baffle measurements? I am building a 20h sump and would like to copy yours as much as possible. Thank you!

Wow. Inspiring build. Do you have a record of the baffle measurements? I am building a 20h sump and would like to copy yours as much as possible. Thank you!

No problem. The left and right baffles are 12" x 11 3/4". These two are raised about 1.5" above the bottom of the tank. The center baffle is 8 1/2" x 11 3/4". This one is sealed to the bottom, to establish the water level in the sump. I based this around my skimmer. Its a SWC 120, and the manufacturer suggests running it in 8-9" of water. Hope this helps.

When you glued the panels in your sump. How do you get glue on the inside areas of the bubble trap? I can't figure out how to do that.

Very nice build by the way, love that skimmer.

When you glued the panels in your sump. How do you get glue on the inside areas of the bubble trap? I can't figure out how to do that.

Very nice build by the way, love that skimmer.

I didn't, lol. I siliconed both sides of the larger baffle, then only the outside of the smaller baffle. Its still a strong bond. There's not enough pressure in the sump to knock it out of place.

Thanks. I hear good things about SWC 120. I havn't ran it yet, so we'll see.

No problem. The left and right baffles are 12" x 11 3/4". These two are raised about 1.5" above the bottom of the tank. The center baffle is 8 1/2" x 11 3/4". This one is sealed to the bottom, to establish the water level in the sump. I based this around my skimmer. Its a SWC 120, and the manufacturer suggests running it in 8-9" of water. Hope this helps.

Thanks - that is awesome. I am off to lowes first thing in the morning to get the glass and silicone.

I got the tank in its final spot. All plumbing is complete, leak tests are done, and it's pretty much ready to fill. I have about 40-45 lbs of rock cycling in a Brute Rubbermaid can, for 2 weeks now. I've been testing the water, and its sky high around 3.0 ppm ammonia. No Trites. Trates are at 10ppm. I'll give it some more time. Here's a few pics...

2012-10-27_22-28-50_866.jpg

2012-10-29_17-54-24_457.jpg

2012-10-29_17-56-01_591.jpg

Just tested the water in my Brute can, and it seems to have finished cycling. Ammonia and Nitrite are both 0, and Nitrate is up to about 30. I just did a 10% water change with some left over saltwater I had in a jug. I'll test again tomorrow. Do a big water change, and test agin. If the water changes drop the Nitrates, and the others stay at 0, I'll feel confident calling it done.

Get some corals in there already!

Lol, soon, soon!!! Picking up some acrylic rods tomorrow, to epoxy my rocks into a nice scape. Also might order a Reefkeeper Light.

Archived