Coral Vue Hydros

Jgpico's 30 gal nuvo. New fts pg. 48

jgpico

Well woke up this morning to check on the yellow watchman goby, pistol shrimp and bta that I put in a bucket after tearing down my 14 gallon only to find them all dead. I put a heater and a powerhead in with them and went to bed thinking it would all be fine. I have used a bucket to hold livestock before with success but the fish gods weren't on my side this time I guess. After further review I came to the conclusion that the heater I used stuck on and basically fried everything. That heater has worked flawlessly for me for over 2 years and last night it decided to be a pos. I hate losing any livestock, I wasn't planning on keeping them but they were going to another local reefers tank today. I hate when this kind of stuff happens in this hobby.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry to hear about your loss friend... RIP. :mellow:

Thanks man. It just sucks because it wouldn't have happened If I would have used my other heater. oh well, nothing I can do but it still sucks. I'm happy I got the other livestock into my tank instead of leaving everything in the bucket overnight.

BeardedReeferLLC

Thanks man. It just sucks because it wouldn't have happened If I would have used my other heater. oh well, nothing I can do but it still sucks. I'm happy I got the other livestock into my tank instead of leaving everything in the bucket overnight.

Well as least it wasn't a total loss and you got some over before hand. But at least some new slots opened up in your roster. :) Keep your chin up

. :happydance:

Well as least it wasn't a total loss and you got some over before hand. But at least some new slots opened up in your roster. :) Keep your chin up

. :happydance:

Yeah I'm definitely happy about that. I moved over a nice green duncan that I have had in my systems for going on 4 and a half years. I also moved over a porcelain crab that has survived multiple tanks. Not a total loss thats for sure.

Heres a quick pic of the duncan I just added from my 14 gallon. I was trying toget a pic of the porcelain I added as well but of course he is in a spot that is impossible to photograph. IMAG0231_zpsc0d7eddb.jpg

You can also see the two sps frags that I am trying to bring back to life in that picture. One is a green bn and the other is an acro. They both have great polyp extension but as you can see they lack quite a bit of color. the acro has blue tips and pale green polyps, I really hope it colors up nicely.

squirrelieygrrrl

Sorry about the losses, damned rogue heater.

Good luck with the sps rejuvenation. I just love duncans, not sure why. They're not the prettiest lps out there.

Sorry about the losses, damned rogue heater.

Good luck with the sps rejuvenation. I just love duncans, not sure why. They're not the prettiest lps out there.

I like Duncan's as well. I wish that I could find the variety that has longer tentacles. They look awesome when they sway in the current. I have had this duncan since it was a 4 head frag, my wife brought it home for me one day when she was working at the lfs. I miss those days, that's when she used to spend her checks on corals and fish instead of me lol.

squirrelieygrrrl

Mine goes through phazes where its long or stubby.......... Errr.... That didn't sound right but I'm gonna go with it.

We wouldn't be able to pay our mortgage if either of us worked at a lfs. Lol.

Mine goes through phazes where its long or stubby.......... Errr.... That didn't sound right but I'm gonna go with it.

We wouldn't be able to pay our mortgage if either of us worked at a lfs. Lol.

First you're talking about g strings on your thread and now bein long or stubby on my thread? I used to work at the same lfs before she did and it was a constant struggle for me. Eat or get corals lol.

squirrelieygrrrl

Sorry, it's been a long week at the bank. I can only spend so many hours being prim and proper before it all goes out the window.

I used to work at the same lfs before she did and it was a constant struggle for me. Eat or get corals lol.

I used to live like that and didn't even have to work at a lfs.

I think that I might have figured out the issue with my nem. I would have never thought it was getting too much light but I turned down my kessil and this morning the nem looks a little better. I am going to watch it and adjust my light accordingly. I hope that I don't end up making any other corals unhappy in the proces.

I think that I might have figured out the issue with my nem. I would have never thought it was getting too much light but I turned down my kessil and this morning the nem looks a little better. I am going to watch it and adjust my light accordingly. I hope that I don't end up making any other corals unhappy in the proces.

Ohh...I hope that's it! I wonder if lighting effects the tentacle length of your duncans? Or maybe flow?
Did florida pets ever get limpets back in stock?
I have no idea... We're we talking about limpets at some point?

Ohh...I hope that's it! I wonder if lighting effects the tentacle length of your duncans? Or maybe flow?
I have thought te same thing. I will play with the placement of my Duncan's and see if it makes any difference. They have always been kind of stubby so I'm not sure if its just the type of Duncan or if it is lighting or flow.

I did a water change today so I decided to take some top down shots. Thought they looked pretty cool. I wish my iPhone took better pictures, they look so much bluer than in person. null_zpsc063fc23.jpgnull_zpsafc0e8c9.jpgnull_zps18db5747.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

My Duncan tends to prefer it lower in the tank with moderate flow, just enough to move the polyps, but not aggressively.

It also has always seemed to be happier with weekly feedings.

I'm finally getting a dslr! No more crappy iphone pics!

My Duncan tends to prefer it lower in the tank with moderate flow, just enough to move the polyps, but not aggressively.

It also has always seemed to be happier with weekly feedings.

Mine has always been its brightest when It is higher in the tank. I might try moving it down since it is taking up some valuable sps real estate.

Did florida pets ever get limpets back in stock?

I just got some in from John at RC. They shipped 2-3 day priority and arrived happy.

I have no idea... We're we talking about limpets at some point?

I have thought te same thing. I will play with the placement of my Duncan's and see if it makes any difference. They have always been kind of stubby so I'm not sure if its just the type of Duncan or if it is lighting or flow.

I did a water change today so I decided to take some top down shots. Thought they looked pretty cool. I wish my iPhone took better pictures, they look so much bluer than in person. null_zpsc063fc23.jpg

Awesome top down shots man. Those duncans are really looking puffy and happy in this pic!

I just got some in from John at RC. They shipped 2-3 day priority and arrived happy.

Awesome top down shots man. Those duncans are really looking puffy and happy in this pic!

The duncans have looked super happy in this tank. I am surprised at all that they survived through over the years. It started as a 4 polyp frag.

squirrelieygrrrl

Grats on the dslr! I would highly recommend getting adobe's Lightroom if you don't already have it, such a fantastic program for editing and cataloging your shots. I may even be able to procure you a code for it. I'm curious to see how yours responds to a lower placement.

Grats on the dslr! I would highly recommend getting adobe's Lightroom if you don't already have it, such a fantastic program for editing and cataloging your shots. I may even be able to procure you a code for it. I'm curious to see how yours responds to a lower placement.

I am going to my lfs right after work for a millie frag so I will have to move the duncan down to put the millie in its spot. I am curious to see how it does as well.

Millie is looking healthy. +1

Thanks man. I'm hoping it colors up quite a bit. It dulled down a bit after my buddy put it under some crap LEDs.

Archived