SaltCritters.com

Jgpico's 30 gal nuvo. New fts pg. 48

jgpico

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to my lfs yesterday and picked up an sps frag. This is a horrible picture but I would like an ID. It was a lot more green at the store under the metal halides. You can't see it in the picture but the tips are super purple. Its a really nice healthy frag and I hope it colors up a lot.

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/Stisuba006/media/IMAG0226_zps071dcee2.jpg.html'>IMAG0226_zps071dcee2.jpg

I also picked up a couple trochus snails and I think they will be some of the only snails I buy from here on out. I put them on top of the algae in the tank and they have already cleared some algae. I have never seen a snail eat algae like they do.

surgicalsense

Do you have a goby? If not, then change your sand if you want :) absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Do you have a goby? If not, then change your sand if you want :) absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I don't have a goby or anything that sifts the sand so I don't see an issue. I might actually just take the top layer of the sand thats in their out and add a new layer of new sand. I wonder if that would be better than taking all of the sand out and replacing it all or if I would be better off with taking it all out and replacing it with new sand.

surgicalsense

I don't have a goby or anything that sifts the sand so I don't see an issue. I might actually just take the top layer of the sand thats in their out and add a new layer of new sand. I wonder if that would be better than taking all of the sand out and replacing it all or if I would be better off with taking it all out and replacing it with new sand.

I would remove all or none. You know. Not half and half. That is what I did when I did my major move of my tank from Cali to Abq. No sense in keeping some of it. Your tank is mature anyways :)

Did you find a mexican turbo? They go to town on algae.

I actually didn't find any mexican turbos. Not sure if i just don't know the difference from a mexican to a non mexican turbo but from pics I have seen my lfs didn't have the mexican variety. I could be wrong though so I'll ask what kind of turbos they get. The two trochus snails I picked up went to town on the algae when I put them in the tank. I think I will need a few more in order to make a dent in the algae I have though.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that my buddy is ordering me a derasa clam on the next shipment. We are going to try and get a nice pink tiger striped one. I can't wait to have a clam again! :happydance:

The mexicans get pretty darn big. the others not so much but they all love algae. Astreas also.

I don't know about adding anymore astrea snails. The ones I have never really touch the algae and I find at least one of them on my floor every other day. They crawl all te way out of the tank,down the side of the tank and stand and I find them on the floor. Pretty annoying lol.

I inherite some sad looking sps frags from a local reefer today. They all have great polyp extension but they are pretty bleached. Where is the best place to put the frags in my tank? High light, low light? I am confident I can bring them back in my tank since all my othe sps is doing great.

On another note my algae is slowly starting to go away. I bumped up the Gfo dose and I'm gonna add some more snails. I think my lfs has some Mexican turbos so ill pick up one of those. Other than that the tank is running great, everything is growing and looking happy.

I went to my lfs yesterday and picked up an sps frag. This is a horrible picture but I would like an ID. It was a lot more green at the store under the metal halides. You can't see it in the picture but the tips are super purple. Its a really nice healthy frag and I hope it colors up a lot.

IMAG0226_zps071dcee2.jpg

I also picked up a couple trochus snails and I think they will be some of the only snails I buy from here on out. I put them on top of the algae in the tank and they have already cleared some algae. I have never seen a snail eat algae like they do.

looks like a tri-color valida. ive got one that has survived flatworm AND nudi infestations. I recently added a sixline to pick em off.

looks like a tri-color valida. ive got one that has survived flatworm AND nudi infestations. I recently added a sixline to pick em off.

I think you're right. I just looked at some pics of tri colors and they are very similar. I hope mine keeps the purple tips. It looks super happy in my tank which surprises me, I never thought I'd be successful at keeping sps.

Why is everything in my tank looking amazing except for my bta. I am getting amazing color and growth from my sps but the nem is looking like crap. I can't figure it out.

squirrelieygrrrl

Hey JG

The IM is looking great! Hows the bta doing?

Never mind....... Maybe if I would actually read instead of scrolling for pictures......

That's cool, I dropped be elite and picked up a piece of tricolor for myself. Huge hunk for 25 bucks. I thought it was a slightly bleached out Bonsai, but tricolors are nice.

Hey JG The IM is looking great! Hows the bta doing?Never mind....... Maybe if I would actually read instead of scrolling for pictures......
Bta isn't looking too hot at all. I am going to be trying some things to see if I can't figure out how to make it happy again. Thanks for stopping by, it's been a while.

That's cool, I dropped be elite and picked up a piece of tricolor for myself. Huge hunk for 25 bucks. I thought it was a slightly bleached out Bonsai, but tricolors are nice.
Nice, I'm glad you got one of the big chunks of tri color, mike and I couldn't believe they hadn't been bought yet. Mine looks amazing under my kessil, you need to come see it in person.

What do you feed it and how often?
I don't feed it often because with my other anemones I never had to feed it to keep them happy. I am going to get some jumbo mysis to feed it every other day to see if it helps.

What do you think about me transferring my yellow watchmen goby and candy cane pistol shrimp from my 14 gallon to my 30? I am tearing the 14 gallon down tonight so I need to make a decision fast. Only thing I am worried about is the pistol digging.

squirrelieygrrrl
What do you think about me transferring my yellow watchmen goby and candy cane pistol shrimp from my 14 gallon to my 30? I am tearing the 14 gallon down tonight so I need to make a decision fast. Only thing I am worried about is the pistol digging.

I tried to find a stocking list, but I couldn't. What critters do you have I'm there?

I tried to find a stocking list, but I couldn't. What critters do you have I'm there?

I haven't made an update list yet. The only too g on the tank other than corals and cuc is a pair of occelaris and a Bangaii cardinal.

Archived