Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jgpico's 30 gal nuvo. New fts pg. 48

jgpico

I think I might be going with your pick for wrasses gena. I absolutely love the eyes on those things!

I just ordered the avast ato, I didnt order it yesterday when I saw it was on backorder because I was going to weigh my other options. I decided to still go with the avast just because of all the good things I have heard about it. Hopefully it gets here by the time we get the tank set up.

Thanks for letting me know about the issues you had with the tank stand. I think I am going to still give it a try and see how it goes. I have had very good luck with stands I have purchased in the past so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I think I am going to reinforce the stand either way, It's always good to be safe than sorry. You have an awesome looking tank btw. I can't wait to have my tank stocked!

Hey, one more suggestion- unless you are installing another type of flow, invest in the Spin Stream powerhead sold by IM. We have both our outputs with Spin Streams (the 38g comes with two) and they are great. Really keeps the water moving at the surface and we have no issues with dead areas!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, one more suggestion- unless you are installing another type of flow, invest in the Spin Stream powerhead sold by IM. We have both our outputs with Spin Streams (the 38g comes with two) and they are great. Really keeps the water moving at the surface and we have no issues with dead areas!

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm actually going to be using my mp10 that I used on my 14 gallon tank. That should be plenty of flow and I'm hoping I won't have to worry about dead spots. I do really like the spin streams though.

On another note. This build is starting to come together. Sorry for the crappy pic. And this is not the exact spot for the tank. The 3 will sadly be taken down.

17258D77-6D57-4BE7-96A6-105EEDDA1C23-12568-00000A52056123CD.jpg

I will be messing around with some scape ideas tonight. I don't know if I will be able to get a scape that I like with the rock that I have. If not I might be ordering a little more rock from brs just to give me some more options. This tank should be wet hopefully by the end of the month. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

does anyone have any suggestions for what I can use to clean the inside of my tank out before I add water? The inside of the tank is a little dirty and I'd like to clean it before I add water. Is vinegar the best option?

vinegar and ro water is the best imo.

stand looks good :D

any shots for inside?

I didn't take any last night since I was so tired but I will once I get off work today. I was hoping for a little more room but it will work for what I need.

What are everyone's thoughts on having one or two anthias in this tank?

They have to be feed 3 times or more a day. So if you have the time I would. They are amazing fish

They have to be feed 3 times or more a day. So if you have the time I would. They are amazing fish

Ill look into it for sure. I love anthias. Beautiful and active, just what I want.

Here is inside the stand. I have a good amount of room to work with but the center brace is a little annoying. I am going to try and find the biggest ato reservoir that will fit inside the stand. I was hoping to be able to use the 5.5 gallon tank I have for the reservoir but I don't think it will fit. I will figure it out once my ato gets here which should be tomorrow.

FD08CBF1-27EF-4759-B3F9-B0EB8505F93B-903-000000F23C68EC2F.jpg

which mount did you do with? nano?

No I actually went with the one that comes with it. It's big enough for the ato pressure switch. The hose for the ato and my temp probe for my reef keeper. And it fits perfectly in the back chamber with room to spare.

I can't decide on a scape! This could end up taking me forever! This is always the hardest part for me, hopefully I figure it out soon because I'm ready to get this up and running.

On another note..... MERICA!!!!!

64D7A507-DFB9-4A16-8920-6ED3BF69A514-216-000000A10C0CA0C2.jpg

I just ordered the medium sized mag rock. I'm really hoping it will add some dimension to the tank. I have messed with a couple scapes and have some good ideas but haven't decided on one yet.

I can't decide on a scape! This could end up taking me forever! This is always the hardest part for me, hopefully I figure it out soon because I'm ready to get this up and running.

On another note..... MERICA!!!!!

64D7A507-DFB9-4A16-8920-6ED3BF69A514-216-000000A10C0CA0C2.jpg

pew-pew-pew-merica.jpg

I have made the decision to sell a little bit of the equipment I have to fund an ai vega. I am going to sell off one of the ai sol whites I have as well as an mp40 that I bought for the 120 I was originally going to set up. I just don't like the color I get from the ai white so the vega will give me full control over the color. This might postpone the build a little longer but I know I will be much happier with a different light.

Nice, love the vega - it's going to look awesome over this tank.

Yeah it will look good. The white ai looked out of place to me to be honest. Hopefully this stuff sells fast!

I like it too, ticks the main boxes:

- Height

- Arch (always cool)

- Not too crowded

- Good plateaus for coral mounting

- Good substrate area left

The one on the wall is interesting .. . what were you thinking on there? Could look awesome but also has the potential to look crap in my opinion!

squirrelieygrrrl

Hey JG,

Other than your math being off..... I love your plan! :flower:

The scape looks awesome. I can't wait to see it wet! We have the IM 30 sitting in the garage to go to my partner's classroom eventually. I had originally bought the 30, and then changed my mind and went with the 38 so I could keep all my fish. Instead of returning it we decided to keep it and put it in her classroom. So I'm totally interested in what you do with yours.

fwiw, I wouldn't do anthias in the 30. I don't believe that its enough room for them as they are very active fish that have a semi-wide range in the wild. A small reef safe wrasse, a pygmy angel or other more aptly sized fish would be much more appropriate if you ask me. Then again I'm the queen of understocking, lol. So take that with a grain of salt.

I like the scape. The only thing I might change is playing with those 3 smaller rocks stacked in the center. Maybe try to fit them together more naturally. The arch is way cool. And really, once you get that scape covered in coral, you aren't gonna see those rocks anymore :happy:

Archived