inTank Media Baskets

My Atlantis - Wild & Woolly May 2015 Pictures!

eitallent

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love your tank!!!! :)

Now I want to start my own BB hatchery.

Wow! TYVM Gena.

That is a high compliment indeed seeing your gorgeous creations!

• Like 1

Funky Flatworm

I remove these from the glass and off rocks or corals by using a cotton swab. They get caught in the fibers and cannot escape beig squished. I can't say I feel sorry for them because I do not like them irritating corals!

I read up on these and the experts are mixed on opinions. Some say leave them alone because they will disappear, others say control them because they can block light to you photosynthetic corals, irritate corals closed and interfere with coral feeding.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fltwmid.htm

Article on reefkeeping.com

I syphoned this one up because it looked different from the others and snapped a couple of pictures.

Anyone else have these?

2013-01-31_17-28-25_611_zps44798a55.jpg

2013-01-31_17-28-35_541_zps379b4e16.jpg

Here it is in action:

• Like 1

Wow! TYVM Gena.

That is a high compliment indeed seeing your gorgeous creations!

You are too kind...seriously...but thank you VERY much :)

I syphoned this one up because it looked different from the others and snapped a couple of pictures.

Anyone else have these?

Looks like a "designer" flatworm :lol: Mine are just plain brown. I've only seen one so far in my tank. I love how you keep your tank thread so lively with videos and lots of photos. Keep it up!!!! :happy:

• Like 2

You are too kind...seriously...but thank you VERY much :)

Looks like a "designer" flatworm :lol: Mine are just plain brown. I've only seen one so far in my tank. I love how you keep your tank thread so lively with videos and lots of photos. Keep it up!!!! :happy:

Gena, I love the idea of designer flatworms! We shall have to name it Gucci. :D

In other news, if you have a weak stomach you may want to skip this next picture.

I discovered the dirty truth about salt water tanks! It is gross slime...

2013-02-02_11-34-27_18_zpsf21cb9a4.jpg

• Like 1

Woo Hoo. This thread just made 7000 views today! :)

Of course, that is very little compared to most threads here but I am still thrilled! :D

Edit: Thank you for reading everyone!!!

7K is great ... and there is so much good stuff on here that I am sure i will keep getting more and more views and thanks for all those Videos ...

Love it eitallent

• Like 1

Funky Flatworm

I remove these from the glass and off rocks or corals by using a cotton swab. They get caught in the fibers and cannot escape beig squished. I can't say I feel sorry for them because I do not like them irritating corals!

I read up on these and the experts are mixed on opinions. Some say leave them alone because they will disappear, others say control them because they can block light to you photosynthetic corals, irritate corals closed and interfere with coral feeding.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fltwmid.htm

Article on reefkeeping.com

Anyone else have these?

Here it is in action:

Not sure but it may be a Munnid one as I posted on my thread but I did not see it mentioned by that name in the articles that you gave links to. I happened to look at another DB and saw one that looked very very much like what you had. So this ID is FWIW

In other news, if you have a weak stomach you may want to skip this next picture.

yuck indeed eitallent

• Like 1

Not sure but it may be a Munnid one as I posted on my thread but I did not see it mentioned by that name in the articles that you gave links to. I happened to look at another DB and saw one that looked very very much like what you had. So this ID is FWIW

yuck indeed eitallent

Thanks for stopping by Albert. I appreciate your efforts in ID-ing our mystery guest. I love to know and discover new things. :)

I cleaned out all the pumps, hoses, corners, back chambers and found lots of slippery slime. Ewww... Then I put everything back together with two gallons of clean water, fresh filters and I sighed with contentment as I saw Skipper smile at his clean home. ;)

2013-02-02_11-56-05_334_zpsf3787337.jpg

2013-02-02_16-05-48_547_zpse437eb68.jpg

• Like 5

2013-02-02_11-34-27_18_zpsf21cb9a4.jpg

Yummy :lol:

I try to clean out all pumps every 3 months. It does get very nasty over time. Skipper looks like a very happy boy now :)

• Like 1

It is a dreary, rainy Monday morning. The only way to improve such a day is to look at pretty, colorful corals. :)

2013-02-02_15-57-40_699_zpsa8b7dd44.jpg

It is also helpful to cheer up by playing hide and go seek with a frisky fish.

2013-02-02_16-14-36_360_zpsf06e8a8c.jpg

This is a sunny spot!

2013-02-02_16-00-46_769_zpsda7ae254.jpg

ZOOM!

2013-02-02_16-05-10_195_zps7c751063.jpg

zoom...

2013-02-02_16-05-42_653_zps97e2e933.jpg

zo... Oh, hello!

2013-02-02_16-05-31_630_zps42010af8.jpg

Monti cap is happy this morning...

2013-02-02_16-06-01_923_zpsf1a704eb.jpg

On of the new macro sprouts has grown its brush out!

2013-02-02_16-04-32_577_zps96119c65.jpg

• Like 4
SeahawkReefer

Lookin good! Got some nice growth... must be doing something right!

I wish I would have read this thread 2 weeks ago! I did the EXACT same thing with Seachem Marine Buffer!!

• Like 1

@SeaHawkReefer:

Yes, I just read that on your thread. Strangely, I was advised to do that by the LFS owner. He also sold me some Purple Up! LOL I guess that is why he is still in bi'ness!

• Like 1

I have been doing lots of reading lately. I got curious about my mushroom corals and refreshed my memory. This page int the fishchannel.com was very interesting and helpful. The order, family, genus and species are rearranged on these corals. (Scientists have decided that the old genus, actinodiscus, is no longer used for naming mushroom corals.)

It seems I have a few from different genera:

I have three Hairy/Fuzzy Mushroom corals, Rhodactis howesii.

2012-12-11_11-15-24_6_zpsa1b8c453.jpg

I have a blue, Discosoma coerulea, a red, D. ferrugatus and a green, Discosoma sp.(?).

IMAG1436_zps4de7b1d8.jpg

IMAG1112_zpsbc744f1d.jpg

2013-01-09_08-21-14_243_zps865d600a.jpg

Two Ricordea florida.

2013-01-27_16-12-23_598_zpsb5216dda.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for stopping by Albert. I appreciate your efforts in ID-ing our mystery guest. I love to know and discover new things. :)

I cleaned out all the pumps, hoses, corners, back chambers and found lots of slippery slime. Ewww... Then I put everything back together with two gallons of clean water, fresh filters and I sighed with contentment as I saw Skipper smile at his clean home. ;)

2013-02-02_11-56-05_334_zpsf3787337.jpg

2013-02-02_16-05-48_547_zpse437eb68.jpg

Thanks ... and yes it always amazes me as well, even after all those years, to see what accumulates inside hoses, pumps, reactors and other equipment we use, often in a relatively short period of time.

And Skipper does look like he is happy indeed ! Magnet is in love with one of my large Yumas as he has been hanging out in it for quite some time now rather than moving around from one coral or life form to another ... Of course it is a "very good looking Yuma" :-) so I can understand why Magnet is so keen on staying close to it :-)

• Like 1

Thanks ... and yes it always amazes me as well, even after all those years, to see what accumulates inside hoses, pumps, reactors and other equipment we use, often in a relatively short period of time.

And Skipper does look like he is happy indeed ! Magnet is in love with one of my large Yumas as he has been hanging out in it for quite some time now rather than moving around from one coral or life form to another ... Of course it is a "very good looking Yuma" :-) so I can understand why Magnet is so keen on staying close to it :-)

I agree with Magnet and would like to hang out on it all day too. I looks very fluffy and comfy. :)

Keeping things clean is a constant endeavor in this hobby. However, everything living thing in the aquarium conspires against staying clean. Literally, they poop on all your efforts to keep it it clean! :lol:

Today I did a two gallon water change/ sponge filter swap and all is quiet on the reef. I added a bit a filter feeder food for the sponge and the benfit of all the little tube worms/fan worms. I am hatching out my fourth batch of SF brine shrimp (smaller than regular strain of brins shrimp) which make Skipper, Zig and Zag absolutly go bonkers with delight.

Unfortunately, it also feeds the flatworms!! Ugh. :angry: Grrrrr... I miss my lovely sixline wrasse. I noticed an immediiate decline of the flatworm population when he was busily hunting them down. Now they are baaaack!

I have noticed that a few of my colorful pretty Zoas have been closed more often than open. Hmmm... :\ I have been watching them closely for any signs of disease or pests. There have been no more nudis but I do see flatworms at times on the closed polyps. I rub them into a cotton swab when I see them. Kill, kill, KILL the flatworms! ;)

I am doing lots of reading on the life I have in my little chunk of reef. I found the zoaid.com website extremely helpful with lots of pictures of pests and (I did not know this) irritators. The zoanthid article on wetwebmedia.com written by Bob Fenner was well written, informative and most important, easy to understand.

So I am keeping a watch on my water quality (good so far), an eye out for pests and giving the wanted (and unwanted) creatures delicious and nutritious treats to eat so the rest is up to the living beings to live.

• Like 1

I love, love, LOVE your mushroom collection :happy:

You and Albert make me wish I had a Skipper/Magnet!!!!! I had one many years ago and he wasted away. He did not eat for me. You guys make me want to try again.

• Like 1

I understand. I am still shy about getting a sixline wrasse to eat my pesky pods and worms. :(

I really like the Citron goby's personality and they are worth the risk. drsfostersandsmith.com/liveaquaria.com have them! I got my Blue Neon gobies from saltwaterfish.com (they have the green striped CG and the Okinawa Yellow CG) and they arrived perfectly packed and perfectly healthy. :)

• Like 2

Soooo .... here are pictures of my presents!

Lime green Ricordea florida - splitting into two
2013-02-10_20-28-07_566_zpsafaffbba.jpg

Three orange Ricordea florida
2013-02-10_20-27-19_321_zpsed09f1b3.jpg

Cute little Zoas - Gorilla nipples
2013-02-11_13-45-01_861_zps5031fa77.jpg

Here are the two green Ricordea floridas that I had as one the very first inhabitants of the Nano.
2013-02-10_20-30-44_147_zpse18d1c7c.jpg

• Like 2

Why is it that when I find something unexpected in the Nano it is usually a pest or ugly?! :lol:

I moved my original green Ricordea floridas close to my new orange and lime Rics. Under the rock was a gray, gross, webby looking mass. It has a siphon so I Google it. No luck in finding an ID. So I posted a picture to the "WTF (What-The-Frenchtoast) is this?" ID forum. I got nuttin'! So the long search began and I found it in my savior website wetwebmedia.com:

Quote from the article on Ascidians: " Looking and overlooked as sponges, Ascidians, mostly are likewise attached to the bottom, but bear two sometimes difficult to identify openings, or siphons... incurrent and excurrent, to move water through their individual or colonial bodies. Unlike Sponges, tunicates can/do respond to touch, shadows, other stimuli, by closing these siphons."

Here is the picture of the alien:

2013-02-10_20-23-42_942_zpsbba2085c.jpg

The focus is better on the siphon in this pic:

2013-02-10_20-23-52_140_zps80e8338d.jpg

Aaaand here is a second one! The Ricordea is not bothered by it in the least.

2013-02-10_20-25-35_306_zps502a73ee.jpg

• Like 3

Archived