Pod Your Reef

My Atlantis - Wild & Woolly May 2015 Pictures!

eitallent

jedimasterben

For the sake of your tank, I would stop testing for pH immediately. It's a slippery slope that really has only one outcome, and it doesn't involve a healthy tank.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

To clarify a bit on that, don't think of using buffers or kalk unless you have enough stony corals that are going to consume that extra calcium and carbonate at the rate you are dosing. If you don't, they will build up and one will precipitate and it will not end well for your tank.

Never, ever dose anything you don't test for OR don't need to dose, in the case of calcium, carbonate, or magnesium.

To clarify a bit on that, don't think of using buffers or kalk unless you have enough stony corals that are going to consume that extra calcium and carbonate at the rate you are dosing. If you don't, they will build up and one will precipitate and it will not end well for your tank. Never, ever dose anything you don't test for OR don't need to dose, in the case of calcium, carbonate, or magnesium.

Thanks for that input Ben. How do you manage your pH? Just water changes? Do you use a Hannah pH tester?

So far the Ca++ stays b/w 420 down to 340 (tested w/ API) before the water change. The alk is around ~10 to 11 dKH (Salifert). I do not dose Mg or CO3. I have not had any precipitate so far.

I hate to dose anything at all but the low pH does bother me as it seems there is no room for error when it is that low. :unsure:

jedimasterben

Thanks for that input Ben. How do you manage your pH? Just water changes? Do you use a Hannah pH tester?

So far the Ca++ stays b/w 420 down to 340 (tested w/ API) before the water change. The alk is around ~10 to 11 dKH (Salifert). I do not dose Mg or CO3. I have not had any precipitate so far.

I hate to dose anything at all but the low pH does bother me as it seems there is no room for error when it is that low. :unsure:

I don't pay any attention to pH. I tested the pH once just to see if my Hanna meter was working properly, and then it went back in the box, waiting for the next time I need to do a freshwater dip on a clam or fish.

I would honestly get a better test kit. The Red Sea titration kits for cal, alk, and mag is $40 or $50 from Marine Depot. If you are putting 'buffer' into your water, you are dosing carbonate, and I would stop it immediately.

Your pH is not low. I can guarantee you're not getting a correct reading. I would, again, suggest not testing for pH and never worrying about it. Your tank will thank you for it. :)

• Like 1

I don't pay any attention to pH. I tested the pH once just to see if my Hanna meter was working properly, and then it went back in the box, waiting for the next time I need to do a freshwater dip on a clam or fish.

I would honestly get a better test kit. The Red Sea titration kits for cal, alk, and mag is $40 or $50 from Marine Depot. If you are putting 'buffer' into your water, you are dosing carbonate, and I would stop it immediately.

Your pH is not low. I can guarantee you're not getting a correct reading. I would, again, suggest not testing for pH and never worrying about it. Your tank will thank you for it. :)

I am running low on the original API test kits and will be getting the Red Sea kit or more Salifert (I like their Alk kit).

I like this article by Russell Schultz on the use of KW on wetwebmedia.com. He supports what you say, Ben.

I really like the macro algae in my tank. They add interest. Here is a picture of the macro forest with a new sprout! Cool...

2013-01-12_13-19-05_255_zps3a9117f8.jpg

2013-01-12_13-17-55_28_zps0b7b9b9c.jpg

And here is Skipper :)

2013-01-09_08-24-53_373_zpse5b1ca97.jpg

Love the macro! That is so cool. I want my purple gorgs to arrive so I can add that vertical element, too. Beautiful, Eitallient!

• Like 1
jedimasterben

On the pH front, at one point I was stressing about it at one point and was about to start 'correcting' for it, but then I did a lot more reading on it and decided that I shouldn't even care about pH and I threw away my pH test kit so I wouldn't be tempted. :D

And the macros look great!! LOVE the forest-y look!

Love the macro! That is so cool. I want my purple gorgs to arrive so I can add that vertical element, too. Beautiful, Eitallient!

Msscha, thanks! You got purple gorgs? I want some too. ;)

On the pH front, at one point I was stressing about it at one point and was about to start 'correcting' for it, but then I did a lot more reading on it and decided that I shouldn't even care about pH and I threw away my pH test kit so I wouldn't be tempted. :DAnd the macros look great!! LOVE the forest-y look!

Jedimasterben, thanks. I love that foresty look too. It is amazing how fast they grow.

jedimasterben

Jedimasterben, thanks. I love that foresty look too. It is amazing how fast they grow.

Unfortunately in my tank macroalgaes are currently dying back - I need to fine-tune my algae scrubber so that it works in conjunction with my macros and not against them. :)

Recently, My Lobe coral ( Porites lobata) started fading from light brown to tan in color. I began researching the possible causes and I found a very good article online at coralscience.com.

...many coral species bleach at water temperatures of 30°C (86°F) or higher; this is because zooxanthellae are damaged at such high temperatures. The thylakoid membranes inside the chloroplasts simply fall apart, allowing many oxygen radicals to flood the coral tissue. This again triggers algae expulsion. Some zooxanthellae, however, are resistant to temperatures of up to 32°C (90°F), and this explains why some corals do not bleach during a hot summer (see archive).

After bleaching, corals have to reacquire their algae population in time, before they starve to death. Fortunately, this process is often successful. This also occurs in the aquarium, and this is possibly due to the reuptake of free-living zooxanthellae through the mouth and gastrovascular cavity. Many coral larvae also do this before they metamorphose into primary polyps (see archive). In addition, partially bleached corals simply regrow their remaining zooxanthellae.

I did have a temperature spike in the NC. When the weather warmed up the tank got up to 85.6F before I caught it and turned on the ceiling fans and raised the lid higher on the tank.

2012-12-11_11-11-15_168_zpsb317d723.jpg

Patches of new growth on the rock:

2012-12-11_11-15-11_821_zpsb7e2f0fc.jpg

How's everything growing for you? Has your Duncan sprouted any new heads yet?

Howdy.

Everything except the the Goniopora is growing and coloring up nicely.

The Duncans started out with two heads, one of which was damaged. Now the damaged head is perfect and there are three more completely grown-out heads and three more coming with cute, little stumpy tentacles.

The hammer coral which had cracked apart into three pieces on the way home from the LFS are all healed up and look good. They also have several babies growing n the exposed skeleton.

The Zoas have expanded past their plugs and are now carpeting the rocks. Their colors are stunning and I really enjoy them.

The lovely, little solitary yellow polyp has five new, fully grown polyps. They are so cute with their sunny heads flowing in the current.

The mushrooms, fuzzy mushrooms and ricordias are always plumped up and the red mushroom has split in two.

I have been keeping track of really large (1/2") curly-tailed amphipods. I started seeing one about six weeks ago. Now I see them on the macros as well as under rocks and in crevices.Their growth is a bit alarming. I have read some ppl reporting them eating their zoas. So far I have only seen them eating detritis or the food I drop in the tank.

I have not seen too many bristle worms lately. I do not miss seeing them either! Blegh ... :wacko:

Thanks for asking and stopping by. :happy:

capitolcityreefer

Wow, just finished reading this whole thread. What a lovely tank! I think it's great that you've had such success with PC bulbs, there are so many naysayers on this and other forums that insist nothing will grow without extremely expensive lights. I like the simple, balanced approach you've taken here, and the obvious success of your inhabitants.

• Like 1

Wow, just finished reading this whole thread. What a lovely tank! I think it's great that you've had such success with PC bulbs, there are so many naysayers on this and other forums that insist nothing will grow without extremely expensive lights. I like the simple, balanced approach you've taken here, and the obvious success of your inhabitants.

Thanks for the kind words. Simple is the only way I know how to approach this hobby because there is so much to learn and I am only now starting. I have spent lots of time reading, googling, admiring others' tanks and having a great time with my tank.

I too am surprised that the Lobe coral and Monti cap are actually growing with the stock PC lights on the JBJ NC.

Thanks for visiting. :)

2012-12-11_11-26-09_57_zps887679d5.jpg

• Like 1

The addiction continues in full force! I look at my Nano compulsively through out the day and find something ineteresting every time.

Today I notice huge (1/4 inch with their tails curled under) amphipods on the macros and rocks. They are bold even during the day and freely come out to feed. I always see their tan and white striped, curved little shells busily hunting for food. They seem to really socialize on the macros when mysis, brine shrimp or other goodies get caught up there. It turns out they can climb trees (shaving/barber's brush). The lowly copepods are much more timid swarming and slinking over the sand and rocks only briefly coming out into the light. I see them both crawling in between the Zoas. So far the Zoas do not seem bothered, so neither will I be.

The new macro sprout is a conjoined twin! It is growing two brushes on one trunk. It seems to look more like the little cone-shaped brush macro. They have a whitish cast which must mean they have a calcium infrastructure. There must be enough nutrients in the tank to keep so happy.

I moved my little trumpet coral up a bit to see if it will do a bit more growing. Everything else except the Goniopora is experiencing terrific growth. I am so happy that most everything in My Atlantis is doing well. Now if only those amphipods would stop growing...

Here are a few treats for the eyes:

2013-01-16_12-47-53_216_zps4a66f295.jpg

2013-01-16_12-26-49_1_zpsc2a12033.jpg

2013-01-16_12-31-17_27_zpse7877f85.jpg

2013-01-16_12-24-40_444_zpseda8d316.jpg

2013-01-16_12-23-50_255_zps99ec29e7.jpg

Water chemistry is really becoming more stable. I have been making sure the top off RODI water I add is at about 8.0 and now pH is staying at 7.8 in am and 8.0~8.2 in pm. Even the temperature is more reliably stable at 76 F. So happy. :)

last night: temp 76.1 F -:- pH 8.1 -:- SG 1.025 -:- alk 10dKH -:- Ca 460 ppm -:- PO4 & NO3 not detectable

this morn: temp 76.2 F -:- pH 7.8 -:- SG 1.025

Messy! Messy! I gotta get a tote for all this stuff. <_<

2013-01-16_12-37-23_680_zpsff8cc309.jpg

Okay, update time. Squeezing in a little time to self while family is still asleep. :)

I upgraded the repugium to a larger size. This container is filled with about 5.5 gallons.

IMAG1472_zps3fd2ccc5.jpg

Nice. I should have used a bigger refugium, too.

capitolcityreefer

I like your pile of reef stuff! For me, all the gadgets and toys are a big part of the fun. Tank maintenance is therapeutic for me. How is your sponge doing? Very cool creature.

In preparation for the new tank (yet to be set up--> 125 gallon B) ) and to reduce flat worm, bristle worm and other creepy crawleys I currently have in the Nano-Cube, I got a beautiful six line wrasse today.

I have seen it hunting all afternoon. It has explored every nook and cranny and is a very active swimmer. He is about an inch and a half. His colors are intense blue, orange, red and green. It loves the macro forest.

This is the wrasse's film debut and it was very nervous peeking out from behind the arch.

Click to play the 20 sec. video:

th_2013-01-18_21-35-18_590_zps242123c8.j

• Like 1

I like your pile of reef stuff! For me, all the gadgets and toys are a big part of the fun. Tank maintenance is therapeutic for me. How is your sponge doing? Very cool creature.

TY capitolcityreefer. Pile o' stuff is right. :) I agree about the therapy. It is better than spending money on a shrink!

The sponge has not changed much. It still look like a cratered planet. There is an dark red rusty color to it now but it is still orange in the vents and some areas on the bottom where it is more shaded. Time will tell the tale. ;)

Nice. I should have used a bigger refugium, too

Hello, Herptile.

I had a smaller one and liked it so much I decided to go bigger! Also, I did not have to lift this one up to get it to gravity feed like I did the smaller container. The bulkheads also add some peace of mind. I was just not sure that spout would stay on long-term. Plus I love macros. They are so cool. I plan on gettin some MORE. :D

Looks real cool. Your Refugium is gonna get larger than your display soon if your not careful. I remember you said your getting a larger tank. Still? Love those macros!

Btw, the larger amphipods dominated my old BC29. I did see them eating zoas and palys, but some on NR have speculated that they were responding to a problem rather than a hunger for the coral. I didn't see a problem until I saw them all over the frag, but idk. For some reason I don't have them in this tank. Maybe it's cause they don't have. Good place to reproduce. Like macros....

• Like 1

Looks real cool. Your Refugium is gonna get larger than your display soon if your not careful. I remember you said your getting a larger tank. Still? Love those macros! Btw, the larger amphipods dominated my old BC29. I did see them eating zoas and palys, but some on NR have speculated that they were responding to a problem rather than a hunger for the coral. I didn't see a problem until I saw them all over the frag, but idk. For some reason I don't have them in this tank. Maybe it's cause they don't have. Good place to reproduce. Like macros....

Hi, pschom. Yep, I love my fuge. :) The chaeto is enjoying it too judging by its crazy growth in there.

The larger amphipods have disappeared from view! I got a wrasse four days ago. That good little fish is a dilligent hunter. He scours the rocks all day. So the pods may be hididng from his attention. Another reason for the amphipods absence from the Zoas may be that I have been blowing the trapped food or debris off them with a gentle current from a turkey baster. Once they close up I give it a little more umph to get all the loose stuff out from in between the zoas and palys. Now there is no reason for the amphipods to even want to visit!

I am working on the stand for the larger tank! I have been researching making your own live rock too. I made my first test piece yesterday.

Archived