Cultivated Reef

Lion's Solana Den

buddythelion

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When are you going to add your pink blastos and rainbow acans into the tank?

Hey, is it just me or is reef2reef loading out with viruses right now...

Btw, you should glue some of your collectors' zoas/palys onto the back of the solana like this guy's T-bone's solana

I've already added all of my acans over and the blasto, just no really good pics of them yet.

And yeah, R2R got hit with a virus but it's all good now. Just have to wait for google to approve and prove that they're safe. Hopefully it doesn't take to long and everything goes smoothly.

On the glueing zoa idea, it's a really neat idea! I just have no idea how I'd take them off the wall if I ever had to take the tank down though. The option of being able to frag them if need be is also appealing too, thus the rock.

Speaking of which, I have a few new additions, will post pictures up when they are more established!

Deleted User 4

Ohh I see. Where did you get those pink blastos???

Yeah, I just checked reef2reef and it's good now. I wondered who hacked their site with virus...

I guess you can always try to break the rocks to pieces later on lol.

Ohh I see. Where did you get those pink blastos???

Yeah, I just checked reef2reef and it's good now. I wondered who hacked their site with virus...

I guess you can always try to break the rocks to pieces later on lol.

The one with the powder blue rim? That's from goldenbasket.

If I glued them to the wall then I'd have to scrape them off. No bueno. :(

I trust you'll be feeding that nem well so you can sell me a split, right?

Definitely been trying, but it's still hiding under a rock. Won't even snap up any mysis when I blow some his way.

Wow, Acans are looking nice and healthy!

Thanks! Alvin got a few really nice acans and micromussas yesterday on our LFS run. They're sitting in my tank until he sets up his nano.

I see. How much did the blastos cost you? I haven't seen those kinds for a long time...lol.

blueringblasto.jpg

This one? Wasn't too bad, but wasn't cheap. I forgot, lol!

On Sunday my friend and I went on a fish-store day. We swung by two LFS' and by the day we ended with about 11 bags of corals. All were amazing prices, and all were cherries! A great day, a great day...

Here are some more livestock photos, some of which are the new additions:

Lilac Acan:

LilacAcan.jpg

Red Discosoma with black streaks developing (Bottom right). It may be a red shroom... But it's my favorite one because it was so extremely bright at the LFS, it even shunned a Jawbreaker in the same tank! My one cheap coral because it makes me so happy:

redinfernoshroom.jpg

Looks pretty much like Aquatic Obsession's:

8021844573_d4ab64b1e2.jpg

Indo-Gold Torch w/ Pink Tips:

PinkIndoGoldTorch.jpg

pinkindogoldtorch2.jpg

Radiant Tangerines:

RadiantTangerine-1.jpg

Mordacious/SC Dangerous Shrooms:

MordaciousShroom.jpg

Unknown Micromussa:

Micromussa.jpg

Darth Maul Micromussa:

darthmaulmicromussa-1.jpg

Dragon Ball Z:

DBZ.jpg

Miami Hurricane Chalice... eating mysis shrimp? Who knew?

ChaliceMysis.jpg

Been looking for these for a long time... Armegeddon Paly:

Armegeddon.jpg

It's finding hidden gems at the LFS' that make me love this hobby so much more. It's the effort and the fun of being physically there in a place full of goodies rather than seeing online photos and adding pieces of coral to a basket. The joy of being there in person vs online is just not the same, and the relationship and fun talking with the LFS people definitely is a huge chunk of this hobby for me. Having a buddy to go around with definitely makes it much more fun too!

Awww, wondering what's a good price for it.. in case if I see those again for sale.

Good price is whatever you think is worth it. ;)

buddythelion
11 bags! Looks like you guys were busy :)

More pics to come, right?

We were having way too much fun. Damage for those bags weren't even that bad surprisingly! Was a great trip, we're planning on hopefully doing it once a month.

Pics for sure man.

Geeze. Good thing my cherry corals order gets here tomorrow, all your awesome livestock is starting to give me a complex!

That favia of yours is making me drool! It's definitely a cherry piece. Reminds me of Ktar's Aphrodite Favia. I need me some nice favia!

Awesome pieces!

Thanks jball!

Onto some pics. Not in my solana yet, but I posted an ID thread on R2R for this guy. I think it's a Candy Apple morph, but we'll see. Either way, it's going into my Solana! Staying in the frag tank atm to get some close and clear pics.

Pic showing coral and tile for accuracy of colors.

CATile.jpg

Close up:

CACloseUp.jpg

It's finding hidden gems at the LFS' that make me love this hobby so much more. It's the effort and the fun of being physically there in a place full of goodies rather than seeing online photos and adding pieces of coral to a basket. The joy of being there in person vs online is just not the same, and the relationship and fun talking with the LFS people definitely is a huge chunk of this hobby for me. Having a buddy to go around with definitely makes it much more fun too!

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!!!!!! +1 to all the above!!!!! I love everything you bought :happy:

buddythelion
Those do look like candy apples!! Hhaha :happy:

Don't they? I'm going to wait for them to color a bit more and see if the green can become more prominent, like the candy apple family is known to have. Then maybe it can be a new red morph, would be neat!

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!!!!!! +1 to all the above!!!!! I love everything you bought :happy:

Thanks gena, it was a load of fun! Should be going again next Sunday. :)

As an update, I think I mentioned that I had a peppermint hogfish in this tank. Well, I never found it after the first night of putting it in and being a wrasse, I knew it would take some time before it would come out. But my tank got really dirty and my corals were very upset all of a sudden a few nights ago, and I had to whip up a batch of water to change, but it wasn't ready until 2 days later. I ended up losing my gold frogspawn from this, which is a real bummer since it was gorgeous. I think the hogfish ended up passing away somewhere in the rocks and that was the cause of the water issue.

Water's been changed and except for my sandbed being filled with frags of various Hawaiian PE's since they were doing not to great in the frag tank, everything is back to normal.

Sad the frogspawn is gone, but I was planning on selling it since I wanted to add more torch corals in that corner. Guess I can now, lol!

Don't they? I'm going to wait for them to color a bit more and see if the green can become more prominent, like the candy apple family is known to have. Then maybe it can be a new red morph, would be neat!

Thanks gena, it was a load of fun! Should be going again next Sunday. :)

As an update, I think I mentioned that I had a peppermint hogfish in this tank. Well, I never found it after the first night of putting it in and being a wrasse, I knew it would take some time before it would come out. But my tank got really dirty and my corals were very upset all of a sudden a few nights ago, and I had to whip up a batch of water to change, but it wasn't ready until 2 days later. I ended up losing my gold frogspawn from this, which is a real bummer since it was gorgeous. I think the hogfish ended up passing away somewhere in the rocks and that was the cause of the water issue.

Water's been changed and except for my sandbed being filled with frags of various Hawaiian PE's since they were doing not to great in the frag tank, everything is back to normal.

Sad the frogspawn is gone, but I was planning on selling it since I wanted to add more torch corals in that corner. Guess I can now, lol!

Sorry to hear about the hogfish and even more of a bummer to hear you lost some additional livestock from it. They are really cool fish.

Nano sapiens

Sorry about the Hogfish and the Frogspawn. I had the same scenerio about 2 - 1/2 years ago with a 6-line passing away in just a few short days (cloudy water in the morning tipped me off). Luckily, didn't loose any corals.

Sorry to hear about the hogfish and even more of a bummer to hear you lost some additional livestock from it. They are really cool fish.

They sure are man! Guess it's only a sign that I'm supposed to get a BSJ for the tank as the final fish. I'm really looking for a wrasse though. That gold frogspawn was one of the nicest one I've run into. Too bad I don't have pics of it because it was so hard to get a photograph of without making it looked bleached. I've got another nice LPS in the tank now though... he he he.

Sorry about the Hogfish and the Frogspawn. I had the same scenerio about 2 - 1/2 years ago with a 6-line passing away in just a few short days (cloudy water in the morning tipped me off). Luckily, didn't loose any corals.

Sorry to hear about that six-line. It's always sad when any livestock passes away in such a short time and for unknown reasons. Glad to hear that your corals made it!

Here are some photos to change the mood of my loss hogfish!

Red Hornets:

RedHornets_zpsa2dc9a81.jpg

Rastas, already grown 3 new polyps!

Rastas_zps31506d7f.jpg

Archived