inTank Media Baskets

The Doc is in - ATI & Tooth Dust powered - new pics on pg 32

DRLOVEtoreef

DRLOVEtoreef

ANOTHER DV tank?

Makes me wish I could of ordered from him.

yep ... he doesn't disappoint and has always delivered a very high level of tank for me ... what happened, I thought you were going to order from him?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BattleAthletics

It was going to be over 400$ plus the cost of the father in law to ship out of the city. He didnt know if he would be able to do it. Shipping wise.

hmm, that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen ... speaking of which, did you guys read the story about the dentist in Austin that was busted for having a hidden camera in his staff's bathroom ... seriously, what kind of guys gets his rocks off watching a girl on the can

Sounded like liked that shit.

DRLOVEtoreef

It was going to be over 400$ plus the cost of the father in law to ship out of the city. He didnt know if he would be able to do it. Shipping wise.

Sounded like liked that shit.

that sucks on the shipping ... the build quality would be well worth the cost, but, I can understand the concern on shipping ...

I just don't understand that dentist ... what made it more crazy was he is on the board of the State Board of Dental Examiners ... good times

BattleAthletics

that sucks on the shipping ... the build quality would be well worth the cost, but, I can understand the concern on shipping ...

I just don't understand that dentist ... what made it more crazy was he is on the board of the State Board of Dental Examiners ... good times

Ive seen several dv tanks, I want one too lol

Sometimes old men get curious.

DRLOVEtoreef

Ive seen several dv tanks, I want one too lol

Sometimes old men get curious.

can I like the first part and not the second ... :D

jedimasterben

Ugh that looks like a nightmare ...

It is lol

I think part of the issue with LEDs and what Dave offers is it is so on the cutting edge ... I have a friend that calls that the bleeding edge ... U can get some amazing things, but you deal with kinks and delays

Dave is limited by the technology available. While he uses some of the latest stuff, there is only so much the tech is designed to do, and things like single cables for power and control, etc, are just not part of the tech. Mixing power and control in a single cable introduces noise that leads to issues, plus the drivers and controller are separate pieces that both require different kinds of power, along with the fans. Could Dave use a single 48v -> 12v step-down converter to power both the fan and Storm off of the main power supply, sure, but cost and complexity increase beyond what he is doing at this moment in time. I know he tries to keep the units as simple as possible to prevent end users from finding it too complex to set up/use, but if he makes it more complex for him to put together, it means more time per unit and also more cost per unit and would either need to eat that or increase the price, which he would probably get some backlash for :o

At any rate, Dave always has fancy stuff up his sleeve, who knows what he'll do next ;)

DRLOVEtoreef

It is lol

Dave is limited by the technology available. While he uses some of the latest stuff, there is only so much the tech is designed to do, and things like single cables for power and control, etc, are just not part of the tech. Mixing power and control in a single cable introduces noise that leads to issues, plus the drivers and controller are separate pieces that both require different kinds of power, along with the fans. Could Dave use a single 48v -> 12v step-down converter to power both the fan and Storm off of the main power supply, sure, but cost and complexity increase beyond what he is doing at this moment in time. I know he tries to keep the units as simple as possible to prevent end users from finding it too complex to set up/use, but if he makes it more complex for him to put together, it means more time per unit and also more cost per unit and would either need to eat that or increase the price, which he would probably get some backlash for :o

At any rate, Dave always has fancy stuff up his sleeve, who knows what he'll do next ;)

I agree on all points .. but, that doesn't mean I can't keep dreaming!!

so, when will we see your hybrid finished up?

jedimasterben

I agree on all points .. but, that doesn't mean I can't keep dreaming!!

so, when will we see your hybrid finished up?

Have a couple more hours of work on it probably. gotta tame the wire beast on the fixture itself (everything can be easily hidden), sleeve it up, then wire/sleeve the t5 tubes. Never done any sleeving before, so it'll be a crash course for me lol.

DRLOVEtoreef

Have a couple more hours of work on it probably. gotta tame the wire beast on the fixture itself (everything can be easily hidden), sleeve it up, then wire/sleeve the t5 tubes. Never done any sleeving before, so it'll be a crash course for me lol.

I can't wait to see the finished product ... are you going to go with dimmable t5 ballasts?

jedimasterben

I can't wait to see the finished product ... are you going to go with dimmable t5 ballasts?

Yes, but not using it as it significantly impacts the phosphors on the bulb (at least 15-25% less lifespan) and if it is not 'burned in' at 100% for 50-100 hours before dimming, the phosphors are permanently damaged.

DRLOVEtoreef

Yes, but not using it as it significantly impacts the phosphors on the bulb (at least 15-25% less lifespan) and if it is not 'burned in' at 100% for 50-100 hours before dimming, the phosphors are permanently damaged.

there in lies the rub as they say ... when the phosphors are damaged, does it decrease their PAR output or spectrum?

jedimasterben

there in lies the rub as they say ... when the phosphors are damaged, does it decrease their PAR output or spectrum?

Both.

DRLOVEtoreef

Both.

I guess I may have to rig up a burn in booth for the bulbs just to make sure for the next bulb change in 6-9 months ...

Great news - the eagle has landed ... Glenn's box of sexy candies is in the house!

jedimasterben

If you're dimming them at all (even after burn-in), then you'll to replace them every 6 months - and if you're dimming them with a slow ramp, it'll more than likely need to be sooner. At most have them dimmed for 30 minutes or so.

DRLOVEtoreef

If you're dimming them at all (even after burn-in), then you'll to replace them every 6 months - and if you're dimming them with a slow ramp, it'll more than likely need to be sooner. At most have them dimmed for 30 minutes or so.

good to know Ben ... I will have to update my settings and look at new bulbs in another 4-5 months

jedimasterben

Yeah, I was pretty shocked when an ATI rep told me that what I wanted to do originally (which was dim them up and down over the course of a day) that I just shouldn't do, and that even short dimming would have quite an impact on bulb life.

DRLOVEtoreef

Yeah, I was pretty shocked when an ATI rep told me that what I wanted to do originally (which was dim them up and down over the course of a day) that I just shouldn't do, and that even short dimming would have quite an impact on bulb life.

yeah, that kind of really sucks ... well, live and learn ...

jedimasterben

yeah, that kind of really sucks ... well, live and learn ...

Especially when a normal ballast is $40 and the dimming is $90. :)

DRLOVEtoreef

Could of lived without those grill pics :). Afters look pretty good for a rookie.

Just trying to work them in as I can B)

funny thing is that a lot of the work in those pictures is from my first couple of years from dental school ... patients loved them ... I can do such a better job now though

Glenn does an amazing job packaging ... this shipment showed up in flying colors ...

glennshipment_zps6e0a002c.jpg

high-five-smiley-emoticon.gif That's how it's dun son! Kandy kandy kandy :naughtydance:

You guys had boxes show up I sent 2 boxes today. Still need to send Ben one soon as my bags show up.

Who ever's on the receiving end of your two, will no doubt just as happy as we are with ours! Like Glenn, you ship Fire too!

Who ever's on the receiving end of your two, will no doubt just as happy as we are with ours! Like Glenn, you Fire too!
Sent G2E down a box of sexy and Gena a BTA. Ben is getting a PHAT box of Z's and P's very very soon as well.

Sending Kyle a box to probably next week once he gets ready.

Archived