SaltCritters.com

Chucktown ELOS NPS Mini

divecj5

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hope everyone has a great start to the weekend. Looks like I'll be adding a rainbow bubble tip this coming Thursday. Really excited!!

And you as well!!!!

rainbow bubble tip???? omgomgomg

I'm glad you decided to go for it :happy:

And you as well!!!!

rainbow bubble tip???? omgomgomg

I'm glad you decided to go for it :happy:

Me too. I'm nervous and excited at the same time :) Should be fun trying something new.

-Adam

Doesn't look like I'll be getting the RBTA this week unless Lawnman can get them out this evening :(

Besides that, the tank has been looking great. I've noticed a little bit of growth on some of the branches of the Hawkins and the Red Planet is starting to base out a bit more. Fingers crossed that things will take off soon although honestly, I've had a tank before that exploded with SPS growth and it quickly became a challenge keeping things trimmed back. Just looking for great coloration and some steady growth.

Might start looking at some additional fish as well. I'd really like to get a couple Trimma or Eviota gobies to mix things up a bit.

-Adam

:happydance:

Should be heading to the LFS in a few hours :) Always a crap shoot to what they get in but always fun wandering the store. I'm jealous of some of the places people on here have local to them. Probably good for the bank account though ;)

Mmmm, this 2nd onyx picasso has much more black than the 1st one...I love it!!! :happy:

I completely agree. It's even more noticeable in person. Should look great once it fills in some more and the markings become more defined.

Which reminds me, I need to bust out the camera again for some updated shots of everything.

Should be heading to the LFS in a few hours :) Always a crap shoot to what they get in but always fun wandering the store. I'm jealous of some of the places people on here have local to them. Probably good for the bank account though ;)

Sounds fun!!!!! Good luck :happy:

Which reminds me, I need to bust out the camera again for some updated shots of everything.

Yes....yes, you do!!!!!

I'm joining the mob demanding updated pictures. I always feel like going into a LFS is like tempting fate. It's almost a relief when they have nothing worthwhile because I have a pretty strong distrust for most livestock coming out of them (yet I still end up the sucker and buying from them on occasion).

The trip to the LFS on Friday didn't result in any fish or coral finds. That said, it looks like I'll be getting a really nice magenta tipped BTA from Morgan (ReefGardener) possibly this coming Tuesday. Definitely excited about that.

Here are some updated shots that I took last night.

Hawkins - Dark in this picture but you can see the the lighter blue branches are the new growth :)

p1126634200-4.jpg

Duncan, Valentine's Day Cephastrea, and Green Nepthea

p1126634286-4.jpg

The colors on this FNF Sunrise Acan are getting out of this world awesome!!

p1126634260-4.jpg

Full Tank Shot

p1126634130-4.jpg

Now for some top-down "candy" B) Pardon the sand on some of the Acans.

p1126633992-4.jpg

Red Planet

p1126633928-4.jpg

Picasso/Onyx above Acan

p1126633922-4.jpg

As you can tell, the tank has started to hit its stride. Only downside, I noticed a few small bubble algae on the rock that I cooked for a while :rant: I really want to nip this crap in the bud this time. Any suggestions besides replacing my DI filters (which are past due) and firing up the reactor with some phosban/carbon?

-Adam

Hey, things are looking nice in there! Nice collection of some purdy corals! Love that acan.

I dunno, but pest algae seems to pop up no matter what you do. Mostly I just brush it off with a tooth brush, but the bubble algae can be a problem. If you are unable to pull out the rock it is growing on and gently remove it whole, take a look at Mr Saltwater TV's vid on how to remove it.

Sorry, I don't have time right now to find the link for ya. :(

Oh yea! Love the pics. Those 'Cans! So purdy.

Manual removal is the best way to get rid of bubble algae, nothing eats it, and days of lights out have zero effect. Get a scalpel, and a some air line tubing, make a siphon and suck the stuff out as soon as you scrape it off. Try not to burst the bubbles. I had a ton of that crap in my tank not too long ago, but there is a little bit left here and there, but I'm pretty obsessed with cutting it out of the tank.

Hey, things are looking nice in there! Nice collection of some purdy corals! Love that acan.

I dunno, but pest algae seems to pop up no matter what you do. Mostly I just brush it off with a tooth brush, but the bubble algae can be a problem. If you are unable to pull out the rock it is growing on and gently remove it whole, take a look at Mr Saltwater TV's vid on how to remove it.

Thanks for the comments man. Really appreciate the feedback.

I hear ya on pest algae...I think I've had just about every type of pest over the last few years. At this point, I try my best to nip things in the bud when they first crop up since I know how quickly things can get out of hand if left unchecked. Thanks for the suggestion on the video...I'll have to search and see what I can come up with.

Lovely picasso onyx!

As for the bubble algae....maybe getting an emerald crab would work?

I love the way the Picasso/Onyx looks from above as well. The top-down coloration/patterns remind me of an Orca for some reason.

I've kept emerald crabs in the past only to realize that they're basically little tanks that like to knock stuff around in the tank. Although some people have had them eat bubble algae, I never saw mine pick at it. Also, from what I read they actually just pinch the algae off at the stem and don't really eat it.

things are looking sick man. did you end up getting anything from that ebay sell that i linked you?

Thanks!! Nope, missed out on a few things and then I couldn't find the seller again for some reason.

Oh yea! Love the pics. Those 'Cans! So purdy.

Manual removal is the best way to get rid of bubble algae, nothing eats it, and days of lights out have zero effect. Get a scalpel, and a some air line tubing, make a siphon and suck the stuff out as soon as you scrape it off. Try not to burst the bubbles. I had a ton of that crap in my tank not too long ago, but there is a little bit left here and there, but I'm pretty obsessed with cutting it out of the tank.

Thanks man. I'm with you, I think manual removal is going to be my best bet at this point. I may try and pull out the rock that I noticed a few pieces on but I was really trying to keep from fully disturbing the sand bed. I might go your suggested airline/scapel route and see about scrapping them off the rock while sucking out some water. Luckily, it's only in a few small places and hopefully with some new RO/DI filters an cutting back on feeding a little, I can get and keep them under control.

I like the minimalist look. Nice colors and corals.

Thanks for swinging by the thread and commenting!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, I've decided against getting a BTA for the time being. I'm just a little nervous :scarry: about getting one and it wandering all over the tank finding it's optimal spot. I may get one in a month or two. Although it would have looked awesome, I think I may focus on filling in some more of the open rock space with some different colored zoas.

Thanks for the great comments and suggestions!!

-Adam

Here is a link to Mr Saltwater TV. You'll still have to find the vid on bubble algae removal, but it's just like pyronus said except he used a stiff airline tubing to make it a little easier.

http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/

Thanks!! Think I might have found it - link Really handy video with some great pointers. Time to make a stop at Home Depot :)

One thing that has me a little confused from the video is when he says "even if your params are in check and you have zero phosphate in your system, you can still have bubble algae." Is this true? Seems like it needs to have some available nutrients to "feed" off of. :wacko:

Thanks!! Think I might have found it - link Really handy video with some great pointers. Time to make a stop at Home Depot :)

One thing that has me a little confused from the video is when he says "even if your params are in check and you have zero phosphate in your system, you can still have bubble algae." Is this true? Seems like it needs to have some available nutrients to "feed" off of. :wacko:

I have some on my acan's right now actually. My PO4 is really low, and the algae is clear but it's not dying. If my levels rise even a little the color comes back. It isn't spreading right now but its also not dying. I'm just going to take the frag out and cut the stuff off it and then dip it and return it back to the tank so I don't spread any spores.

I have some on my acan's right now actually. My PO4 is really low, and the algae is clear but it's not dying. If my levels rise even a little the color comes back. It isn't spreading right now but its also not dying. I'm just going to take the frag out and cut the stuff off it and then dip it and return it back to the tank so I don't spread any spores.

Sounds like a plan to me. If it's easy to get out, I'll take the rock/frag out and do the deed in a bucket. If not, I'm going to use your/Mr. Saltwater's suggestion of the airline tubing and scapel.

That's an interesting observation about the coloration of the bubbles. Maybe the PO4 has an effect on the spores on the inside.

Gorgeous photos!!!!! Are you getting a BTA from Morgan? You definitely won't be disappointed. Her stuff rocks :) Can't wait to see it in the tank!!!!!!

Thanks, Gena. My comment on the BTA must have gotten buried in the flurry of bubble algae talk :) I planned on it up until this morning but I think I've convinced myself to hold off on a BTA for the time being. I'm still a little nervous about getting one and it wandering around the tank looking for a final "home." Who knows, I might of gotten it and it wouldn't move an inch. Also, I'm realizing that I need to replace my RO/DI filters, stock up on salt, and get some other dry goods so there goes the coral $$

It's inevitable with me and new tanks, I just get this itch to FILL EVERY INCH and quick. I have to remind myself that it's the journey that's the most fun. At this point, I think I'm going to step back for a second, get my equipment (hooking up my Phosban reactor) all in order in the sump, add a few small zoa frags, and look at getting some more fish. At least that's my story for today...who knows what tomorrow brings :P

Oh...yep...I see your comment now about changing your mind. That's completely understandable. Your tank is so perfect right now. I'd be afraid of a wandering BTA as well!!!!! It would look amazing in your tank though, if you ever decide to get one :happy:

I found a local who has some killer zoas/palys for a great price so I might be getting some of the following in the coming weeks. I'm not a huge "named coral" person but just listing them for reference since blue with green skirts is only so exciting :)

• Rastas
  • Clementines
  • Chong Bongs
  • Woodstock Paly
  • Tyree Orange Rainbow paly
  • Vivid's Rainbow paly
  • Mandarin Orange
  • Mohawks
  • Bam Bams
  • Fruit Loops

Not sure which yet since I'd like to get a diverse mix of colors going.

Archived