inTank Media Baskets

Chucktown ELOS NPS Mini

divecj5

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I have to redo my tank I would just tint the back tank only. I wish I have done this

Good ol hindsight :) I think your tank looks fantastic anyways!!

What did you end up getting? Honestly, I wouldn't be overly nervous about care. My main advice would be to just take it slow...don't move the frags all over the place too frequently, put them in a spot and see how they respond over a few days (unless there's noticeable decline), etc. Although polyp extension is a fair indicator of overall happiness/health, it's not the only thing so just keep an eye on them. I would base where you place them more on the system they came from then general care/advice that you may find online, although that information is good for generalities.

One of my favorite quotes is - "only bad things happen fast in this hobby" so just take your time. I'm sure you're going to do great keeping them.

-Adam

Both corals were frags from huge beautiful colonies in the stores display tank. One is a neon green acro, I'm not sure of the actual ID, the other is a decent sized frag of blue echinata. I'll put some pic's up in my thread tonight. The green acro is actually looking very good. I probably have more light over them than the store did.

I put the green acro is pretty high in the tank and the echinata is mid level, both are pretty much right in front of the MP20 so the flow is pretty high. I'm not terribly nervous, I just don't like killing things, I have separation anxiety about my tank while I'm at work.

I have separation anxiety about my tank while I'm at work.

I'm right there with you.

Sounds like you got two nice frags to get your started with SPS. Seems like you have them in pretty good spots for the time being. I'd leave them be for a few days to see how they respond unless there's they take any turn for the worse. Looking forward to see what they look like on your thread later.

I love those acans.

Thanks. After I add the SPS and Cyphastrea frags next week (should have them Wednesday), I plan on going on the hunt for some small Acan frags to fill in some of the other spaces. They've always been one of my favorite coral. Love the variety of colors, the way you can hand feed them, and generally their ease of care.

I'm supposed to receive some pics of the SPS frags I'm getting next week today or tomorrow so I'll post those up while I'm not so patiently waiting until next week ;)

I have a couple of questions that I wanted to toss out there to try and get some feedback on. Since this is my first tank with a sump, it's the first time that I'm using a filter sock. Eventually, I'd like to get a media basket that fits the sump compartment where the overflow drains but that may take a few months. In the meantime, I've been rinsing out the sock as best I can during water changes but it never really gets "clean." So my questions are - what's the best way to clean it, how often should it be fully replaced, and should I get a second one to let the other one dry out so it's a little more clean? Just want to be sure that I'm not introducing unnecessary gunk back into the tank but not changing it frequently enough or cleaning it thoroughly.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Adam

Buy 3, when one gets dirty replace it and wash the old ones in mild bleach and rinse like crazy. I did that when I had a filter sock initially. I just got rid of it and I stuff floss between my baffles now.

Buy 3, when one gets dirty replace it and wash the old ones in mild bleach and rinse like crazy. I did that when I had a filter sock initially. I just got rid of it and I stuff floss between my baffles now.

Thanks for the advice man. Really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I'll see what the LFS has today so I can get a nice sock rotation going :lol: I may go the filter floss route soon and start looking into a media basket as well.

A garden hose with the a jet nozzle should clean the filter socks out pretty well. It will save you some time cleaning them as well.

Like the setup by the way.

Yes I have 4 socks for 125g..I toss them in the washer in hot water, I don't use bleach on mine.

So you truly treat them just like a sock without the Clorox :happy: I like the washer idea as well.

A garden hose with the a jet nozzle should clean the filter socks out pretty well. It will save you some time cleaning them as well.

Like the setup by the way.

Thanks for the compliment on the setup. Should have more color and activity in there hopefully next week.

Another great suggestion using a garden hose and jet nozzel as well. Sounds like the main thing is to get several so you can rotate them in and out.

Whoops, any update? :happy:

Just trying my best to patiently wait until I get my frags on Wednesday. The week wait is killing me. I did end up getting a frag of Red People Eaters (RPEs) at the LFS....frag has at least 10 heads and was only $12. I couldn't pass up the deal. It's crazy because I remember when these same palys were going for $30+ per head a few years ago. Fads come and go I guess ;-)

Should be able to post some pics of the RPEs and do a general update tomorrow.

Adam

Mr. Microscope

Awesome acans! Love that clown. Keep an eye on that blue anthelia. I've heard that stuff can get out of hand pretty fast.

Awesome acans! Love that clown. Keep an eye on that blue anthelia. I've heard that stuff can get out of hand pretty fast.

Thanks for swinging by and for the compliments. Yeah, definitely plan on keeping an eye on the cloves. They've stayed pretty self-contained over the last year or so and currently I have them segregated away from the main rock structure. I had an explosion of Anthelia and Xenia in my first tank ever so I know how out of hand it can get. I ended up with a tank full of pulsing Xenia and flowing Anthelia :)

Any updates? :)

Unfortunately, my wife and I spent the better part of yesterday with our 14-month old who's teething like crazy so there was little to no time for pictures and the water change that I planned. I plan on gluing some frags down during lunch so hopefully a photo session will be in order this evening. I should find out what day I'll be getting my new frags as well.

-Adam

Unfortunately, my wife and I spent the better part of yesterday with our 14-month old who's teething like crazy so there was little to no time for pictures and the water change that I planned. I plan on gluing some frags down during lunch so hopefully a photo session will be in order this evening. I should find out what day I'll be getting my new frags as well.

-Adam

Ha, yesterday I tried to finish off some house work, instead I spent most of the day on the bottom of the pig pile underneath my 5 year old and my 19 month old. Two boys, and they never stop! Enjoy the all the time (even the fussy time) while it lasts, I have to put my boy on the school bus for kindergarten in 2 weeks, I'm dreading it.

Ha, yesterday I tried to finish off some house work, instead I spent most of the day on the bottom of the pig pile underneath my 5 year old and my 19 month old. Two boys, and they never stop! Enjoy the all the time (even the fussy time) while it lasts, I have to put my boy on the school bus for kindergarten in 2 weeks, I'm dreading it.

Glad I'm not alone :) My wife and I try our best to enjoy each and every second of our little guy even in those moments when we're on the verge of losing our sanity. I remember standing over the baby warmer minutes after his was born and now he's wandering the house like a full-blown human being. I've thought about the time when we're going to have to buy him his first backpack and send him off to school and good God I hope it takes an eternity to get here. Although 14 months ago I had no clue what it would be like to have a kid, it's been and continues to be the best thing to ever happen to us. Although he was one of the most finicky and colicky babies, I wouldn't trade a second of it...well, maybe just a few ;)

He continues to get more and more into the tank which has been awesome to see. That and he was glued to re-runs of Shark Week yesterday :wub:

Both of my boys are really into the tank which makes me so happy. They both love the water. My family has a cottage on the Fingerlakes here in NY and we spend a lot of time there and in the Adirondacks. I just taught Big Man how to snorkel using a tube to float with a couple of weeks ago. We went out into the water and asked me if the lake was a really big fish tank. :D

I just taught Big Man how to snorkel using a tube to float with a couple of weeks ago. We went out into the water and asked me if the lake was a really big fish tank. :D

That's awesome!! Nothing like instilling a sense of respect, understanding, and interest in nature at an early age. :)

Just got word about the frags and it looks like I'll have to patiently twiddle my thumbs :closedeyes: for an extra day or two. Joey (Joe Knows Coral) wanted to give the things he cut last week a few extra days to heal up before shipping so I couldn't complain about that. Also, he's going to toss in a Tyree Neon Green Nepthea frag so I can't complain too much. The timing will actually be great since I'm taking Friday afternoon off. Anyways, enough of that...time for some pictures.

You'll notice a couple of changes in the tank -

• Decided to move the Red Bug Monti to the left-side in the back since it has space there to grow out and won't take valuable space up front.
  • Mounted the Bali Green Slimer up on the rockword. Hope it colors up and takes off there.
  • Starting a zoa/paly island where the two Acan frags are located. Currently, it has some AOGs, RPEs, and some Nightmare palys. More to come soon....

Full Tank Shots - These are a little duller than it looks in person but I got tired of blowing out the highlights

p966956005-4.jpg

p832250672-4.jpg

Right-Side

p945595149-4.jpg

Left-Side

p859645030-4.jpg

These are more true to color....can't wait to get the replacement controller to see what things look like with ALL the LEDs firing. B)

p1021641191-4.jpg

p989661584-4.jpg

RPEs

p569045539-4.jpg

AOGs

p930437648-4.jpg

That moment when you realize you put too much food in your mouth ;)

p982036804-4.jpg

Loved this shot of the Duncan with a "mouth" full of Mysis

p938990705-4.jpg

I do have one question. What do you all think about how I have the Frogspawn mounted on the back wall? I really love the movement it adds when it's fully expanded but I'm wondering if it detracts from the rockscape. Would love some feedback.

-Adam

Deleted User 4

lolol, Love the fnf sunrise acans alot. If it were me, I would get rid of the frogspawn simply because I love to keep the back free of any sort of algae or corals. This applies to all four glass sides of the tank. There's my feedback.

One question though, I don't see your black ice clown!!! Where is it?

Ohh, and also one more thing. I spotted an aiptasia next to the pink palys. Better kill that thing asap. B)

thats it. i need an elos in my future lol. your tank in a inspiration sir.

Wow...thanks so much man. Really appreciate the compliment. Your current tank moved over to an ELOS would be killer B) . Although they are definitely on the pricey side, I paid about 1/2 retail after selling some rock, coral, and old equipment I had sitting around. Once you've been in this hobby long enough (as you know), you almost always have a couple things to help fund the next build.

This is honestly the first tank I've had in 6 years of reefing that I completely enjoy. I'm sure there will be some pest to crop up along the way but it just works like it should and has been really enjoyable so far and I'm just getting started with stocking it.

Archived