Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chucktown ELOS NPS Mini

divecj5

Looks like a nice sump set up there. I really like the integrated ATO chamber. I'm thinking I should redesign my sump for my tank restart.

Looks like a pretty nice skimmer. I can never get my SWC 120 to a place where it makes consistent skimmate. It's either a cup full of tea or a cup full of nothing.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 4

Hmm I think when I get mine, I'll probably just use the original skimmer...I like to keep my pride in ELOS products especially when it comes in the whole package already ahah.

Looks like a nice sump set up there. I really like the integrated ATO chamber. I'm thinking I should redesign my sump for my tank restart.

Looks like a pretty nice skimmer. I can never get my SWC 120 to a place where it makes consistent skimmate. It's either a cup full of tea or a cup full of nothing.

Not speaking from a ton of sump experience but I really like it. It's a little cramped with everything jammed in there but it's pretty effective in its simplicity. I agree with you about the integrated ATO chamber...before I knew exactly what that chamber was I was wondering where I was going to store fresh top off water.

The S-120 has only been running on the tank for about 24 hours so I can't really say how effective it is at this point. It took a little fiddling to get the level right where it's not overflowing the neck so it's been pretty consistent after hitting that spot. No livestock to really test out it's capability but hopefully that will change by the weekend or first of next week.

such a nice build so far. how much was that skimmer if i may ask?

Thanks man. I ended up snagging a deal on it through EBay. Came out right around $195 shipped which was a steal in my opinion. Just gotta sell the Deltec MCE300 now :)

Hmm I think when I get mine, I'll probably just use the original skimmer...I like to keep my pride in ELOS products especially when it comes in the whole package already ahah.

I've actually read that folks have had decent success with the original skimmer that comes with the Mini. It just sounds like it can be a little finicky but heck, the $300+ Deltec HOB that I have is a damn finicky piece of equipment as well so who knows :) I just knew that I was going to rearrange the sump and would be selling the Deltec so I just bit the bullet at the start rather than wait.

-----------------------------

So have I mentioned how much I loathe having to try and scape a tank? :lol: It's probably because I get it somewhat set and then start tinkering, adjusting, and once I move one or two pieces I can never get it back to the way it was. I managed to snag a couple of really nice pieces of cured rock from our LFS (you would think they're selling solid gold for the price :o ) and started to form my rock scape.

Below are a few pictures with just natural light/fill flash. I started off with two islands but since this tank will have a mix of LPS, Zoas/Palys, and a few SPS, I wasn't sure if there was enough non-vertical space to place frags.

Looks like it needs a little more vertical height but I also like a minimal look as the coral are the main attraction and not the rock.

p229459479-4.jpg

I like the tunnel/cave as it adds some variety...just want to make sure I avoid dead spots.

p179158534-4.jpg

p169302654-4.jpg

p134078693-4.jpg

Let me know what you all like, dislike, or suggest as changes. I have some other rock laying around that I may use to build it up a bit. I know that I'd like to add a piece to the top left so it's not quite so plain and also to add some vertical height and I'd also like to add some small pieces to the right on the sand for ricordea, zoas, and other goodies. I'm not fully in love with it at this point so any suggestions are more than welcome. Can't wait to get some coral in here.

-Adam

I like the scape! Kinda reminds me of sushi scape in the beginning. One of my all time favorites! I like how clean your scape and equipments layout are.

I like the scape! Kinda reminds me of sushi scape in the beginning. One of my all time favorites! I like how clean your scape and equipments layout are.

i like it as well. i have to agree with david. looks just like sushis :)

Thanks. So you noticed ;) Sushi's tank is certainly one of the tanks (amongst others) that I've looked to for inspiration. I usually belabor rockwork to the point of insanity but so far I'm pretty happy with this. I'll likely add another small piece here and there to form some more perches for SPS and other frags but I'm going to try my best to leave what I have now alone.

Nice scape! I likey :)

i like it as well. i have to agree with david. looks just like sushis :)

See comment above...You know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :)

What do you all think of the light bar? My wife suggested painting it the same color as the walls and I think it turned out great. Probably one of the only DIY things that has ever turned out semi-decent for me. Although I like to tinker with things here and there, I'm certainly far from the DIY masters that are around here.

Deleted User 4

Scape looks really minimal and special. But then again, you probably won't be able to add much corals if you plan to keep the sandbed free of corals. Just a thought. Love the light rail, couldn't notice that it was the same color as the wall until you said so. ahaha. :lol:

Don't change it bro! I like it the way it is.. Okay! I have been following sushi tank for the longest time but unfortunately is he is breaking it down so it makes me sad but after I notice your setup and scape, it's like got me hype up again. Yeah sushi, tigahboy, crazy4Acros, and Oceanblue Aquarium are some of my inspiration that I look up all the time to keep me from boredomness and keep us all in the hobby.

Leave it the way it is and do your best to keep the sand free of frags. Well, it's your decision to add more rock or not, but I think it looks wicked right now. I does reminds me Sushi's setup a lot. Personally, if the tank was mine I would be very picky with the corals that go in there as there is not a lot of available space. Remember that sometimes less is more :P

Deleted User 4

lol Everyone here seems to love your scape more than I do. I personally, would of used dry rocks instead of live rocks because I believe dry rocks have more pores and natural structures to it.. Just my opinion though. And why is a scape very similar to sushi's that special? Wouldn't one want something of his or her own style and start a new trend? Guess I'm the weird one hahaha :lol: .

lol Everyone here seems to love your scape more than I do. I personally, would of used dry rocks instead of live rocks because I believe dry rocks have more pores and natural structures to it.. Just my opinion though. And why is a scape very similar to sushi's that special? Wouldn't one want something of his or her own style and start a new trend? Guess I'm the weird one hahaha :lol: .

Sushi's scape is almost perfect for that kind of tank. Adam's scape is simliar bu not identical. In addition, I think people refer to Sushi's setup simply because that Elos setup is epic and it seems that Adam's set up is heading in the same direction.

Adam does not have to please us, he is free to do whatever he wants with is setup. Do you want him to go for the fruit stand look having tons of tiny frags all over the tank including the sand?

Deleted User 4
Sushi's scape is almost perfect for that kind of tank. Adam's scape is simliar bu not identical. In addition, I think people refer to Sushi's setup simply because that Elos setup is epic and it seems that Adam's set up is heading in the same direction.

Adam does not have to please us, he is free to do whatever he wants with is setup. Do you want him to go for the fruit stand look having tons of tiny frags all over the tank including the sand?

lol of course not. Keeping the sandbed clean and free of frags is a must...wonder who does that...ahha.

But I personally would have went a different route of scape. Probably would have went 2 spire pillar islands using dry rocks, kind of like Medred's solana..but yeah I mean everyone has their own taste ahah. :happy:

Keeping the sandbed clean and free of frags is a must...wonder who does that...ahha.

You made a good point. When we start a new set up, a lo of us try to keep the sand free of frags but very few of us actually do that :P

Deleted User 4
You made a good point. When we start a new set up, a lo of us try to keep the sand free of frags but very few of us actually do that :P

lol yeah. Even in my tank, I use to have alot of frags on the sand...sold most of them but still have a few on the sand....There just has to be a few huh.

Because Adam is awesome!

Sushi has inspired Adam and many others to have a unique scape, Sushi scape is one of the best simple scape for this particular Elos setup in a cube this size. This way it is free flowing and easy maintenance on the sandbed, rocks, corals, and around the glass. Corals placement will be easy to place on and growth space. But TimberC is correct about choosing corals but again it's Adam tank and he can choose what he feels like adding or not in his tank.

Deleted User 4
Because Adam is awesome!

Sushi has inspired Adam and many others to have a unique scape, Sushi scape is one of the best simple scape for this particular Elos setup in a cube this size. This way it is free flowing and easy maintenance on the sandbed, rocks, corals, and around the glass. Corals placement will be easy to place on and growth space. But TimberC is correct about choosing corals but again it's Adam tank and he can choose what he feels like adding or not in his tank.

Yeah, adam is awesome! I agree with you. But sushi's elos has never inspired me in any way, I'm sorry to say this.

Leave it the way it is and do your best to keep the sand free of frags. Well, it's your decision to add more rock or not, but I think it looks wicked right now. I does reminds me Sushi's setup a lot. Personally, if the tank was mine I would be very picky with the corals that go in there as there is not a lot of available space. Remember that sometimes less is more :P

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not planning on adding any additional rock to the structure for right now at least as I've gotten more and happy with the way it looks now that it's been a few days. I completely agree with you to keep the sand free of frags....unless it's a plate or something that NEEDS to be in the sand, it's going to end up on the rock structure.

As I've gone smaller and smaller with each successive tank, I've definitely gotten a lot pickier at what I put in there. I used to just buy frags like crazy without thinking about A) how they compliment one another and B) how much space certain coral really need.

I appreciate your feedback as well....everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. The main reason why I didn't go all crazy with just dry rock is that I needed to have at least enough super cured rock to prevent a huge cycle since we're moving out of our rental.

Well, like others said below, I took my inspiration from what Sushi was able to accomplish with his cube and modified it to suite what I feel will be my tank needs. As TimberC said, it's pretty tough nailing a scape in these cubes so nothing wrong with taking cues from others successes.

In the end, the scape is certainly an integral part of the tank but it's really just the platform that all of our awesome coral sit on top of. It's like a good foundation of a house, you don't see it once the house is framed and built but it's a huge component of it's success.

And hey, no worries about having differing opinions. That's what I love about NR. The more feedback the better.

Completely agree with you. ;)

Because Adam is awesome!

Well, let's not go crazy here :lol:

well i think we might need to take this discussion to pm's. lets keep the clutter out of adams thread.

No worries at all....glad to have an active thread and always great to see what others think about things.

So Adam what are your plans for fish and corals?

Gotta scoot out the door but will detail things later.....just got the fixture hung and getting ready to program some new settings later. Can't wait to see how this tank looks lit!!

-Adam

Archived