Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chucktown ELOS NPS Mini

divecj5

Deleted User 4

Yeah, I meant the frogspawns, torches and the brain haha. ^ Gold torch would be a great addition.

I just noticed you have quite the space on the rockworks.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Adam,

Get an Aussie Gold Torch. They are absolutely stunning. I am sure you would not regret this purchase. I hope you don't mind that I posted some pics of these coral in your thread.

Hey man. That's a great suggestion and I was actually eye-balling those when I ordered the Rhizo. Kind of kicking myself that I didn't get a torch and/or one of the Dendros since Todd @ Cherry Corals tossed in free shipping :rant: I think it would make a fantastic addition to the tank!!! I don't mind you (or others) posting pics on my thread AT ALL. It's great eye-candy and gives me ideas about what I can add.

Yeah, I meant the frogspawns, torches and the brain haha. ^ Gold torch would be a great addition.

I just noticed you have quite the space on the rockworks.

I figured that's what you meant :) I've been a little quicker to add to the back wall as opposed to the rock work since I know I'm a little limited on rock space. Some of my zoas/palys along with the Meteor Shower Cephastrea are finally starting to sprout new heads so hopefully that rock space will quickly be covered by coral. Also, I'm holding some space aside for the sun coral, dendros, and other Acans that I can hopefully get my hands on in the future.

Hope everyone is gearing up for a great Thanksgiving. Supposed to be sunny, blue skies, and 70 here in beautiful Charleston B)

-Adam

There are suppose to be some more Archohelia frags tonight in the Divers Den. These use to be extremely rare(like only tens of people owned a frag in this country, I wonder if they are becoming easier to frag?) I think they are pretty rad looking and are easy feeders as you just need to feed each polyp. (Not like the impossible Dendronepthea and 'Blueberry' gorgs)

NewCorals_37-2.jpg

There are suppose to be some more Archohelia frags tonight in the Divers Den. These use to be extremely rare(like only tens of people owned a frag in this country, I wonder if they are becoming easier to frag?) I think they are pretty rad looking and are easy feeders as you just need to feed each polyp. (Not like the impossible Dendronepthea and 'Blueberry' gorgs)

Hey Flampton. Not sure why I didn't get a notification sooner so sorry for just now getting back with a response. Thanks so much for the heads up (too later now I know) on those Archohelia frags. What a beautiful specimen. I was actually reading someones' thread on RC about these, actually the ones you have pictured from Cherry, and they looked amazing. That said, right now I'm mostly going to stick with large polyp NPC. Since the overall tank is still pretty immature, I'm going to try and slowly ramp up feeding the LPS variety and then go more of the filter feeding route. Glad to hear that they are easier to keep than some of the gorgs and other nepthea varieties.

Thanks so much for the suggestion. This is certainly one that will be filed away for future purchases :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post a quick update on the tank. I've been super-busy at work lately and as always, the holiday season is always busy at home.

No major changes with the tank over the last few weeks. I moved the Rhizo about 2-3" away from the front glass and moved the Blue Cloves back up front. It seemed pretty happy with where it was placed before but always seemed a little more expanded when the MP10 was in feeding mode or turned down for water changes. I feed it every 2-3 days with Selcon soaked Mysis Feast and I'm still amazed at how it looks after a feeding....happy, healthy, with tentacles really expanded. It's definitely been a really enjoyable addition.

On a related note, I'm getting ready to trade a local for about 6-7 heads of Sun Coral. Not exactly sure when we'll make the trade (trading a frag of Red Bug Montipora) but hopefully it will be over the next week or so. Sun Coral, although I guess run of the mill to some people, have always been a coral I've wanted to keep.

I also finally pulled the trigger on a fat-head Dendro from Cherry Corals. Sold some old tank equipment I had laying around (how many heaters does a reefer really need :P ) so I'm really excited about the addition. Should be here tomorrow so hopefully it'll be happy enough on Saturday for some tank updates.

Hope everyone has had a great December so far.

-Adam

Great update, Adam!!!! I'm a big fan of sun corals but have never actually had one myself. One of these days.

Can't wait to see the dendro!!!!

Red Bug Montipora? How did anyone think that would be a good name for a coral????? :lol:

Sweeett!!! Really though you should just go all out nps elos tank haha. It would be quite a big big scenery.

Slowly but surely my friend. Sun Coral ARE considered NPS ;) Similar to the approach you're taking, slowly getting rid of some frags that I've lost interest in in order to buy more coral. Love the direction you're taking your new ADA.

Great update, Adam!!!! I'm a big fan of sun corals but have never actually had one myself. One of these days.

Can't wait to see the dendro!!!!

Red Bug Montipora? How did anyone think that would be a good name for a coral????? :lol:

Thanks for swinging by, Gena. I can't wait to get the Sun Coral as well. It's only going to have 5-6 heads on it but that's fine with me as I love to watch things settle in and grow out. It was just cut yesterday so the guy I'm trading with is going to give it a few days to make sure it heals properly.

Heading home in a few hours to acclimate the Dendro :happydance:

I hear ya on the Red Bug name. I remember that's what PurpleUP used to call it and it just stuck although I was like :huh: , really? I think the more common name, Seasons Greetings, fits the bill better :)

Happy Friday!!! :lol:

MjAxMi00ZTJmODcxNzJiYjlkN2Fj.png

I'm officially hooked on NPS!! I got my order from Todd at Cherry Corals Friday morning and was surprised after opening the box. I ordered one of the smaller Fathead Dendros on the site and was expecting one adult (1"+ head) and few babies. Opened up the insulated cooler to see two bags, both with Dendros. After wondering if he made a mistake and sent me the wrong order, I checked my e-mail to find a message from him saying that he couldn't find the exact one that I ordered from the site and decided to toss in two to make up for it and Merry Christmas. Although this is only my second order from order, I've been impressed with his prompt response to emails and overall quality of coral. Some companies just get it.

Here are some pictures from Friday after only being in the tank about 5-6 hours. The color is really amazing.

p1319803334-4.jpg

p1319803348-4.jpg

p1319806734-4.jpg

Lots of babies down the sides on the second one.

p1319803896-4.jpg

Fed them Mysis Feast along with the rest of the tank and they look even better today. Going to be a lot of fun feeding and watching these grow out even more.

p1319807608-4.jpg

Pardon me, my mouth's full :)

p1319807478-4.jpg

Starting to make a nice NPS section....hopefully to take overall the whole tank. Can't wait to add the Sun Coral along side these and the Rhizo. Color's a little out of whack on this one but it's quite the beautiful section of my reef now.

p1319803376-4.jpg

Some other tank shots...

Eagle Eye Zoas

p1319804762-4.jpg

Meteor Shower Cyphastrea

p1319805392-4.jpg

-Adam

Deleted User 4

Yom yom yom. Ok, that calls for it. Just sell all your other corals and start getting some more nps corals like gorgonians, sponges, dendros, black suncorals, pink ones, coco worms, etc!!! LLOL

Wow! Those are some fat dendros! Just beautiful!!!

Thanks man. They sure are....couldn't believe how plump the polyps are. Even when they're closed, they're a bright orange/red coloration which stands out without the lights even being on. Amazing coral!!

Yom yom yom. Ok, that calls for it. Just sell all your other corals and start getting some more nps corals like gorgonians, sponges, dendros, black suncorals, pink ones, coco worms, etc!!! LLOL

MG_1080-Reef-Builders.jpg

_MG_0459-vi.jpg

NPS-Aquarium-110310.jpg

That's the plan :D I'm going to try and meet this local to trade for his Sun Coral later this week so once that's been added and I let the tank get used to a little more feeding, I'm going to start hunting down some other NPC. First ones will likely be trying to hunt down some Black Sun Coral, seeing if the LFS can get some nicer Coco Worms and go from there. I'm planning on sticking with the large polyp variety for now as the smaller varieties require continual dosing / auto feed systems which are a little beyond my scope ($$) at this point. Maybe down the line at some point.

Thanks for posting those tanks. Uhuru's tank (second) is one that really got me interested. I used to follow his thread on here when it was active and the setup that he had was crazy. Can't remember how much he'd feed daily but it was out of this world. Do you know if there are threads for the first and last one? That one at the top is out of this world. Love all of the large Rhizos that he has placed in the rockwork. Stunning!!

I think I'll start small and take it slow ;)

Gorgeous, Adam!!!!! I think I'm going to need to get some dendros at some point :)

Thanks, Gena. You should. As you know, they don't require any special lighting, only need to be fed every 2-3 days (or one large meal a week) and these are practically out all the time. Would definitely be a nice addition.

Nice scores on those fat head dendros. Now I am convinced that I need to get some but 40-70 a head is not gonna cut it for me from my lfs. :( I found one for 25 per head from this other place but not so sure that if it is a decent price

Deleted User 4
Thanks man. They sure are....couldn't believe how plump the polyps are. Even when they're closed, they're a bright orange/red coloration which stands out without the lights even being on. Amazing coral!!

That's the plan :D I'm going to try and meet this local to trade for his Sun Coral later this week so once that's been added and I let the tank get used to a little more feeding, I'm going to start hunting down some other NPC. First ones will likely be trying to hunt down some Black Sun Coral, seeing if the LFS can get some nicer Coco Worms and go from there. I'm planning on sticking with the large polyp variety for now as the smaller varieties require continual dosing / auto feed systems which are a little beyond my scope ($$) at this point. Maybe down the line at some point.

Thanks for posting those tanks. Uhuru's tank (second) is one that really got me interested. I used to follow his thread on here when it was active and the setup that he had was crazy. Can't remember how much he'd feed daily but it was out of this world. Do you know if there are threads for the first and last one? That one at the top is out of this world. Love all of the large Rhizos that he has placed in the rockwork. Stunning!!

I think I'll start small and take it slow ;)

Thanks, Gena. You should. As you know, they don't require any special lighting, only need to be fed every 2-3 days (or one large meal a week) and these are practically out all the time. Would definitely be a nice addition.

Yeah, here's the reef build for the 1st one: Part 1

I don't think that's the full of the story,...but I used to follow his tank thread back when I was a member of reefcentral....I'm not too sure if he had a thread here.... maybe he did and I was following it but I can't find it lol.

Also, so your plan is to make this tank all nps later on? or you still going to keep photosynthetic corals? hmmm

When I upgrade to my 60g cube, I am getting those for sure!!!! :happy:

Nice scores on those fat head dendros. Now I am convinced that I need to get some but 40-70 a head is not gonna cut it for me from my lfs. :( I found one for 25 per head from this other place but not so sure that if it is a decent price

Thanks for swinging by the thread....I STILL need to catchup back up on your tank. I was following a few months back but life got in the way of keeping up with all of my favs. Time to get back to it and see what amazing things you've done lately. Your tank was out of this world when I saw it a few months back.

I'll be honest, if I went into one of my LFS and asked if they could get in a Dendro, they'd likely give me the "are you in the right store" look that they usually give me when I ask a real tank-related questions. They're great for dry goods and live stuff in a pinch but really crappy beyond that. Can't tell you how tempted I've been to start up my own store....maybe if I win the Powerball the next time around :lol:

Depending on the size of the heads, $25/per is a pretty good deal. To be honest, I'd pull the trigger on some from Cherry and be done with it as they're just that nice and you don't have to worry when ordering from Todd.

Yeah, here's the reef build for the 1st one: Part 1

Also, so your plan is to make this tank all nps later on? or you still going to keep photosynthetic corals? hmmm

Thanks for the link....will have to check it out shortly. Still trying to find a forum (besides RC) that has an active NPS sub-forum. Would be great if we could get one going on here -_-

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure whether I'll go full-on NPS or keep a mix. Right now, I'm pretty happy with the right-side of the reef being NPS and slowly turning the rest of the structure into NPS Land as well. I'll likely always keep some Acans, nicer Zs and Ps, and the Euphyllia that I have. Although I like the Rics and Yumas that I have now, I'd much rather part ways with them and get some different Sun Coral, Dendros, etc.

The tank looks great! Glad to see it is still doing well. Nice add btw. I never had the patience for feeding the dendros :lol:

Thanks for the compliment on the tank. Hand feeding my Acans, Rhizo, Dendro and the rest of the tank is the part of the hobby that I look forward to the most. I may be singing a different tune when they start multiplying but for now, I literally could sit there for an hour (if I had the time) and watch them feed. I spent about 15 minutes last night watching the Rhizo and Dendros snag flake and Cyclop-Eeze from the water column....so awesome to watch such natural behavior B)

Tank is looking awesome and dendro's look great. Are those the pink base?

My Dendro's are always out too.

I think that one is the Pink Trunk variety and the other is like the rest he has/had on his site.

Feel free to share some pics of your Dendro....would love to see what others have in their tanks!

Tank is looking fantastic Adam! I love the dendros!

Thanks for swinging by and for the compliment on the tank. I'm pretty excited about the direction this tank is taking...

Deleted User 4

I see. If I had your tank, I think I would go all nps lolol. I've totally grown loss in interest of corals other than nps and anemones lol. Maybe sps I might like haha.

I think that one is the Pink Trunk variety and the other is like the rest he has/had on his site.

Feel free to share some pics of your Dendro....would love to see what others have in their tanks!

That would be awesome if it turns out to be one of the pink. If it is put me first on the list for a frag in a year or two. :P

Here's some pics of my Dendro and Sun Coral. I think your have good juju, this is the most I've seen my sun coral open since getting it.

Dendro has grown the two heads since I picked it up at the end of August

dendro1.jpg

dendro2.jpg

Orange/Black Sun

suncoral.jpg

Little monster stealing food from the sun

lionsun.jpg

I see. If I had your tank, I think I would go all nps lolol. I've totally grown loss in interest of corals other than nps and anemones lol. Maybe sps I might like haha.

I hear ya on losing interest in other coral. For me, it's really changed a lot over the last 5-6 years of reefing. I've kept a pretty wide range of coral now and have to be honest that keeping the Rhizo and now these Dendros has really gotten me excited about the hobby again :)

Love the dendros! I've got some purple bodied ones, Definitly one of my fav corals, feed um mysis every other day they grow pretty quick

Thanks! Do you have a picture of your purple bodied ones? Do you get them locally or online? Trying to hunt down some other sources of NPS as the only local stuff around me are Orange Sun Coral, which I should be getting later this week.

That would be awesome if it turns out to be one of the pink. If it is put me first on the list for a frag in a year or two. :P

Here's some pics of my Dendro and Sun Coral. I think your have good juju, this is the most I've seen my sun coral open since getting it.

Dendro has grown the two heads since I picked it up at the end of August

dendro1.jpg

Orange/Black Sun

suncoral.jpg

I need to take a closer look at it and/or grab a pic when it's closed up to see if it matches the Pink Trunk one he had listed on the site. If so, I'll definitely put you at the top of the list if I can be at the top of the list for a frag of your Black Sun Coral.

You have some beautiful Dendro and Sun Coral. They look super-healthy with flesh going all the way down the sides and great extension. I can almost picture those tentacles swaying in the flow :)

I might need a frag of that Black Sun Coral ;)

Archived