Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chucktown ELOS NPS Mini

divecj5

any updates for us sir. got me a nanobox like yours....well smaller :D

Sure do and thanks for checking in on things. I'll have to swing by your thread and check out the NanoBox LED that you got from Dave. Now that I think I've got mine pretty much perfectly dialed in, growth is really taking off. I also have to keep reminding myself that this ELOS is only 4 months old ;)

A couple of things have changed over the last few weeks. Since deciding to head more in the large polyp stony (LPS) non-photosynthetic (NPS) side of things, I've started looking at some of the frags/colonies that I have and mentally checking off as "keeper" and "seller" :) I've parted ways with a couple of frags (both duncans, favia, small Acan, zoas) and used the funds to step into the wonderful world of NPS :)

After e-mailing back and forth with Todd from Cherry Corals, he mentioned that he might have "something" that I'd be interested in since I was asking him about Dendros. After some bargaining and back and forth, I got this bad boy from him late last week.

Top-Down (in his tank)

p1261954410-4.jpg

My Tank

Before Mysis

p1262004738-4.jpg

After Mysis :)

p1262005166-4.jpg

I'll post more information later but it's a Rhizotrochus typus and I have to say that I've been so amazed by this coral. As is pretty common with them, they can be pretty sensitive to light, although as you can see above, it can be coaxed out more and more during the day if you feed it during that time. What's really crazy is how big it extends at night, when it naturally feeds in the deep, dark, reefs of the Indo-Pacific. I knew what to expect after reading a bunch of threads but when I saw this the first night, I was stunned at just how big it inflates.

p1262004766-4.jpg

:o :o

I have a handful of others to post so I'll hopefully get those up later. I'll close with a pic of my Picasso/Onyx :wub:

p1262004954-4.jpg

-Adam

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting turn of events, I like, I like it a lot. I wish I saw that you were changing to NPS earlier because there was an amazing blue Archohelia frag at Divers den last week. I would have thrown you a PM. It lasted way longer than I thought ie hours instead of minutes. Now for the good news the frag was listed as a DFS, which means someone at LA is maintaining the coral for fragging.

http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/downlo...f/version12.pdf

Thanks for the compliments on the Rhizo. Unless you're into NPS or fairly rare coral, they're not something you come across all that often unless you start asking around. Here's some basic information on them -

Scientific: Rhizotrochus typus

Family: Flabellidae

Common: Rhizotrochus typus, Rhizo

Colors: White, pink, red, orange, green

Reproduction: Budding - They send out tubes from skeleton, and new babies appear although this hasn't been well documented.

Coral Placement: Can be glued or expoxed to LR, and can be placed in substrate. Like gentle to moderate flow.

Feeding: Silverside, mysis, krill. Meaty foods.

Additional info: Normally from the waters of Japan, but also found elsewhere in the Indo Pacific. It is ok in light, but expands to 5 times it size at night, and after feeding. Rhizotrochus typus is a reef building coral, which has not formed a mutualistic symbiosis with zooxanthellae. Species from the Flabellidae family likely occur up to several kilometers in depth, in the Indo-Pacific region. They feed on plankton, detritus, crustaceans, fish and possibly dissolved organic molecules. R. typus is exported for the aquarium trade. These corals require ample feeding with crustaceans and small fish.

Time to start hunting around for some nice Sun Coral and Dendros. Thanks for the heads up Flampton. I wouldn't have had the funds to pick it up but like you said, glad to see that someone got it and could be "sharing" in the future.

Here are some other shots from this past weekend.

Purple Death with a mouthful of Mysis

p1262004862-4.jpg

Feed ME

p1262005148-4.jpg

p1262005152-4.jpg

Full Tank Shot

p1262005042-4.jpg

Dang Adam, looking beautiful! I love the NPS, I'll have to consider something like that in a few months.

Its been a while since I was around here but I have some good news. I will soon be a South Carolina resident. :D

I got a job, we are moving down the beginning of December! My tanks gonna have to come down, but hey what can you do. I'll just start over again when I get there.

Sorry for the lack of response....was up in the DC area for work the last few days and due to weather here in Charleston, just now getting back in town. Gotta love flight cancellations -_-

Dang Adam, looking beautiful! I love the NPS, I'll have to consider something like that in a few months.

Its been a while since I was around here but I have some good news. I will soon be a South Carolina resident. :D

I got a job, we are moving down the beginning of December! My tanks gonna have to come down, but hey what can you do. I'll just start over again when I get there.

Hey man. First off, thanks for the compliments on the NPS. Definitely keep these type of coral in mind in the future as I really think they're a lot more forgiving, at least the large polyp varieties, than they're made out to be.

Second, congrats on the new job!! So happy for you and your family. Where in South Carolina are you moving to? Feel free to send me a PM or shoot me an e-mail. I'm happy to help make the transition as easy and painless for you all as possible. Not just blowing hot air....I'm really happy to help.

Awesome Rhizo, I'm a seriously jealous. After loving my dendro and being annoyed by my sun coral I would love to have a Rhizo.

They're not the easiest to come across but there are a couple of people on RC and other places that seem to have decent connections to get them. What sort of issues/annoyance do you have with your Sun Coral?

hey adam you still have that eshopps skimmer?

Sure do and still really happy with the purchase. As long as you keep the water level consistent, which is easy with a sump, it's quite the workhorse for the price. I'm sure others out-perform it but for the price and my needs, it's pretty much perfect.

this tank is pretty damn gorgeous.

keep up the GW need to subscribe

Thanks for following along and for the compliments. As with any tank, it's always a work in progress but I've been really happy how this one has come together so far.

Looks amazing!!!! Two observations:

1. Your sand is so clean

2. Your yellow wrasse looks so little

One more......

So...much....color omgomgomg

LOVE IT :wub:

Thanks, Gena :flower: To be honest, this is the first tank that I've ever had where the sand is so clean. I keep waiting to wake up one morning and see that it's covered in cyano/diatoms :) Not really sure what I'm doing differently. This is the first time that I've used sugar-fine sand and although it's been a pain to keep sand storms to a minimum, it's easier to keep detritus and other junk from accumulating. In addition, this is the first tank that I've had a sump, filter sock, and an efficient skimmer so that plays into it as well.

The yellow wrasse is a little larger than it appears in the pics. Probably about an 1 1/2" long I would say. Love it's character, peaceful nature, and how much color it adds to the tank.

Thanks for the compliment on the color as well. I think I've finally dialed in the LEDs, got the flow just about right, and things have really responded well. Also, I've found that after reefing for a bit, I tend to spend less time trying to track down the latest hot coral and select things that I'll enjoy first and foremost but also that will compliment the other coral/inhabitants. Obviously you're the same way since your tank is ridiculously awesome in every sense of the word.

LOVE :blush:

Thanks friend. A lot has to do with your fixture and all the advice over the last few years.

That's a nice little set up you have there :P

Very Nice!!!

Really nice tank. I LOVE how white your sand is. It is simply stark!

Thanks!!

They're not the easiest to come across but there are a couple of people on RC and other places that seem to have decent connections to get them. What sort of issues/annoyance do you have with your Sun Coral?
Welcome back! My local club is doing a new buy-in type COOP focused on coral propagation. I'm going to try and get them to pick up a Rhizo. I can't think of any of other coral that needs to be propagated more.

I think if I would have bought the sun coral before my Dendro it wouldn't have bothered me. Just compared to the nice huge heads of my dendro that are always open the sun coral takes a lot more work. Feeding it constantly when I first got it also caused some algae issues.

Hey Adam,

Tank is looking super awesome man. All the different types of corals and colors that you have in there are stunning. I know you your sandbed is looking super clean right now, but if you ever need the ideal sand cleaner crew then make sure you get a fighting conch! They are incredibly efficient sand cleaner and never stop working :)

Just compared to the nice huge heads of my dendro that are always open the sun coral takes a lot more work.

I completely agree with you on the propagation side of things with Rhizos. That said, it seems like there are only a few cases out there where people have been successful in propagating them so it seems like buying a well established piece might be the best route for now.

Thanks for the feedback/thoughts on your Sun Coral. I'm definitely looking to get a Dendro first, let the tank build up/get used to the extra feeding and go from there. Baby steps :D

I know you your sandbed is looking super clean right now, but if you ever need the ideal sand cleaner crew then make sure you get a fighting conch! They are incredibly efficient sand cleaner and never stop working :)

Thanks for swinging by and for the compliment on the tank. I actually used to have a juvenile fighting conch in my 17g rimless and you're right, it's hands down one of the best additions I've ever made to a CUC. Beyond it's cleaning ability, it's crazy googly eyes were so awesome to see :wacko:

Wow, you got some really big colonies taking up a whole lot of space. Haha, what are you going to do about it when it outgrows your tank.

Which colonies are you talking about? The frogspawn and hammer on the backwall or something else? I actually plan to get a torch or something else to add to the mix so you haven't seen "full" yet :D If you're talking about the monti cap and other coral, when things get too large that just means it's time to break out the bone cutters, razor, and/or frag plugs and share/trade with friends.

It could of been the angle of the FTS that threw you off...there's actually a TON of space left on the rock and sand bed.

Which colonies are you talking about? The frogspawn and hammer on the backwall or something else? I actually plan to get a torch or something else to add to the mix so you haven't seen "full" yet :D

Hey Adam,

Get an Aussie Gold Torch. They are absolutely stunning. I am sure you would not regret this purchase. I hope you don't mind that I posted some pics of these coral in your thread.

GOLDENTORCH.jpg

becac852c1319dfe95fec35384cf792f.jpg

35be0e634474e9b2f8e83e2e6d62bcbf.jpg

c939d4aa71c328cffef42eccaaa3c671.jpg

Archived