Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chucktown ELOS NPS Mini

divecj5

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing I have to share right now is the pink flamingo feather algae. I just did a big trimming on red grape so that needs more grow out time. Oh, I have some ochtodes. I really don't think you'd want to add that to your display though. It's ok in my crazy macro-land, but it can get out of control, and you don't want it covering your gorgeous corals!!!!!!

Thanks for the info. I'm not in a huge rush as I'd like to see how the chaeto holds up in the fuge first to make sure there's enough nutrients in the water to go around. Also, I'm going to try and finish mounting the coral from Kyle and then the zoas/palys later this week first to see what sort of space I have to work with. Definitely want to add some pink flamingo and possibly some of the red grape.

Hay Adam,

The tank is looking awesome man, and those new additions are definitely keepers. Have you thought about placing the monti cap at the very top right next to the frogspawn? You can keep trimming it back if it grows too much.

Keep up the good work!

Daniel

Thanks Daniel. I actually mounted the Cap exactly where you suggested. I added it to it's own rock, mounted it up high in the top right and will trim and keep it shaped from there. It's angled toward the back wall right now since I was a little worried about it going crazy and shading things in the front of the scape. We'll see how it does :)

Really is looking awesome!

-Dave

Thanks Dave!! Means a lot coming from you.

----------------------------------------------

On another note, where can I find some clear, rigid plastic tubing? Scoured the aisles at Lowes and HD but came up empty handed. Any suggestions?

My lfs has some. What are you looking to do?

Actually just need a short piece to attach to the end of some airline tubing to do a little bubble algae removal. I may call up to my LFS tomorrow (not open Mondays) to see if they have some but will let you know. It's just one of those odd ball products that if you ask for at big box stores, they look at you like you have your pants around your ankles :lol:

On another exciting note, I'm going to try out some JBJ 200 micron filter socks instead of the crap-tastic ELOS ones. The ELOS ones seem to work well (not a ton of experience with filter socks) but after just 2 washings, they fall apart like an old wool sweater. Hopefully these work well. What other ones have folks used?

Amazing as always, Adam!

:bowdown:

Thanks David. I appreciate the feedback and compliment.

Just got word that my zoas/palys will be going out today for delivery tomorrow. :happydance:

Woot :happydance:

Coral delivery day is always a good day :) Got the frags about an hour or so ago and everything looked great in their bags. Gave them a quick float, clipped them off their plugs and glued them to some rock rubble and they're currently hanging together in the sand bed. Got a freebie with about 10 polyps so I'm excited to see what he tossed in for free.

Hopefully they'll be open when lights turn on in a few hours and I can post up some quick pics tonight or in the morning.

Also moved a few frags around so I'll snap some of those as well.

Happy Friday!!

-Adam

Although the new frags were finally open by the time lights went out, I didn't have a chance to grab any pictures. Hopefully I can get some this afternoon.

-Adam

Finally had a few minutes to snag some pics of the new frags yesterday afternoon. Some got flipped over and moved around a bit so they're still not as happy as they'll likely be in a few days. Just giving them some time to acclimate and then I'll move them up into the rock work.

Mandarin Oranges (middle) and Rastas (right) - Just barely open

p1177643480-4.jpg

Chong Bongs

p1177643542-4.jpg

Blue Hornets - Not a great pic at all :(

p1177643584-4.jpg

Mandarin Oranges - With Flash

p1177643594-4.jpg

Tyree Orange Rainbows

p1177643506-4.jpg

Should have some time to get some more pictures this afternoon.

-Adam

Nice zoa collection .. :)

Thanks. It's starting to be a decent little collection.

So tiny.... haha. Cute collection.

My thoughts exactly....the Blue Hornets are TEENY. Can't believe people were shelling out $50-75+/polyp for these and the Purple Hornets. Craziness I tell you :)

Wow!!!!!!! Nice additions!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Gena. Can't wait for them to settle in and start growing.

------------------------------------------------------

On another note, I can't for the life of me get my skimmer (EShopps S-120) to stop overflowing. When I got the frags on Friday, I used a good bit of epoxy/super glue gel to glue them to some rubble and also epoxy some other frags to the rockwork. I didn't even try and hook it back up on Friday since I knew it would bubble and overflow like crazy. I've been trying to run it now since Saturday and it just overflows the cup like crazy. Right now, I have it running with the cup just sitting on top to let the water just run back into the sump.

Any ideas how long this will last or other things I can try to get it to settle back down? Never had it do something like this for quite as long. Might have to do some forum searching to see what others have done.

-Adam

my tunze did that once and with a good cleaning it stopped.

Thanks bud. I gave the entire skimmer a good cleaning yesterday and it seemed to make a little difference. Guess I just need to sit back and let it break back in. Never knew that a 1/4 stick of epoxy and x2 tubes of super glue gel would freak it out for this long. Lesson learned :)

• 4 weeks later...

Been a little MIA over the last few weeks due to craziness at work and very little downtime on the homefront. Things have been chugging away with the tank. I took a bunch of pictures this past weekend but still haven't had the time to work on them and get them posted. Looks like tomorrow is pretty light so hopefully I'll have a nice update then.

On a related note, I've been considering starting to shift the overall direction I take with the tank. Although I'll always have a stony coral or two in the tank, I just haven't felt like they've done very well or at least haven't flourished under the LEDs. I guess I'm still used to the T5s that I used to run over my 20H when it was full of SPS and the way things just got settled in and took off like crazy. Not sure if I just haven't found the sweet spot with the LEDs or whether the tank just hasn't gotten established enough. Either way, I'm still keeping a few of my pieces but plan on parting with some things.

I've always wanted to try my hand at some of the more beginner/intermediate NPS so my plan is to very slowly change my stock from the mix that it is now to something that is more dominated by NPS. Eventually, my goal is to have the backwall covered with Euphyllia (already have a hammer and frogspawn) by continuing to use the AquaMag plugs, have one or two nice branching Acropora and the Orange Monti at the top of the reef and then fill the rest of the space with a variety of Dendros, Rhizos, Sun Coral, and some easier to keep gorgonians. I'll likely keep all of the Z's and P's along with the Acans I have in addition to the folded brain. I'm sure some of this will change over time :)

Considering the price of some of these, I'm definitely going to try and trade for a Dendro or two first, give those a try, and then start saving my nickels and dimes for a nice Rhizo.

Although NPS certainly require more care and feeding (literally), I plan to stick with the easier to keep varieties to start with as I really have no plans on implementing an auto-feeder or any of the really crazy stuff that Uhuru and others have added on their full on NPS tanks. For me, one of the coolest things in the hobby is hand-feeding coral which is obviously a requirement for these.

Who wouldn't want a tank like this :)

NON-PHO-TK10-05-Copy.jpg

Source - ReefBuilders LINK

On a more personal note, check out our son this year for Halloween :wub: :wub:

p1236256486-4.jpg

p1236256476-4.jpg

Hope everyone else had a great Halloween.

NPS are some of the most beautiful tanks I've seen, love to see what you do!

Also, cute kiddo, love the glasses!!

I agree about NPS tanks....they're always SO unique. I'm still going to try and keep a good bit of other corals to mix things up but it's been really fun thus far reading up about the various types of NPS coral, their care, and just drooling over some of the tanks and their setups.

Thanks for the compliment on OUR little frag :) Although we got some pics without the glasses, they really pulled the whole outfit together.

I have to say....that's the best kid costume I've seen this year!!!!!! Omg :wub: So clever!!!!!!!

Your future plan for this tank sounds great. Looking forward to seeing it happen!!!!!!

I have to say....that's the best kid costume I've seen this year!!!!!! Omg :wub: So clever!!!!!!!

Your future plan for this tank sounds great. Looking forward to seeing it happen!!!!!!

Thanks, Gena. Needless to say we're pretty proud of the costume and of course couldn't love our son any more!!

I'm looking forward to slowly making things happen with the tank as well. Starting to line things up now :)

Hahaha cool superman.

Thanks man!! It was like he got into character once he donned his specs B)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived