Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nepenthe's Innovative Marine Nuvo 16

Nepenthe

Really beautiful tank. The rock has an elegant look to it, I think!!!!! Nice work getting rid of the pest algae too!!!!!

Thanks! I'm quite fond of it myself. :wub:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking at my hermit crab and saw something weird on it's shell. When I looked closer I found out his "lumps" were living. I think they're limpets maybe? It's pretty funny watching them, they sort of "lick" at the water as he trudges along. It's turtles all the way down!

7634152074_8e530b2040_z.jpg

So, the first few day of last week I was implementing a regimen that involved daily manual removal, it's since stayed off the rocks and I've kept the photoperiod at 4 hours. I've been doing 3 gallon water changes a week, as usual. Here's the progression from two weeks ago, one week ago, and yesterday. The rocks are sparkling, but there's still tiny bits of bryopsis in the sand where the snails don't like to venture. Despite the minimal light I'm getting coralline growth on the back of the tank, and everything now is blushed with hints of fuchsia. The pod population has not diminished, and continues to cover the walls in mass. I'm assuming the population will level itself out given some time. I'm leaving town for a week starting the 1st of August, so I'm going to keep this routine until I return. I'll sift what I can out of the sand this evening. I have a laundry list of corals that I want to slowly introduce, so hopefully, things will be cleared up upon my return...I hope. If it isn't, I'm going the Kent M route.

7630559544_1641b1dbb7_c.jpg

nice. where do i send the bill?

nice. where do i send the bill?

No, the question is: Where do I send the bill? Without you guys I would have never gotten into the hobby and I'd have a fatter wallet.

Great progress! Looks nice and clean :)

The bryopsis is there; it's tiny, but it's there... Carpeting the entire sand bed and waiting for me to add more light or increase nutrient levels. I really do see why people hate the stuff.

Is there bryopsis still in there???? I don't see it! It's the worst!!!!! I hope I don't ever have to deal with it again!

Super cute new sig :)

• 3 weeks later...
Is there bryopsis still in there???? I don't see it! It's the worst!!!!! I hope I don't ever have to deal with it again!

Super cute new sig :)

Looks like it's all gone. fingerscrossed

Here's a pic from today. It survived my week long vacation. My tank/kitty sitter knows I'd have his balls if anything was ####ed up.

7749995392_a4fc73ab6b_z.jpg

wow very nice. well done :D

Thank you! It's amazing how quickly everything grows, this tank is going to be filled up in no time.

It looks fantastic!!!!

Thank you so much! It's coming along, at this stage I think it's a little too pristine. My next step is to introduce some maco's, SPS and gorgonians in there to spice it up a bit.

So I bought a Kessil and love it... and so do the critters! I'll be interested to see how it supports SPS, however any new purchases will have to wait. My "fun money" for the month just bought me a shiny new rifle... and I've got three more LONG business trips in the next month and a half... so the only thing going in this tank for awhile is an ATO (unless I happen to stop by Vivid Aquariums next weekend and just can't help myself).

7779160726_86819f9dd6_z.jpg

Bicolor Frogspawn

7779158096_8a34edcba5_z.jpg

Duncan (Whisker Coral) Colony

7750520430_b32cb88c0a_z.jpg

Grandis Palythoa

13905143.gif

The shrimp dance

What kind of rifle did you buy? Did you see that bill SB249? My rifle is my other expensive hobby :D

I have a Remington 40-XB KS, but wanted something lighter (I'm very petite) and a little more "fun" so I got a tricked out 10/22 Ruger... it's the prettiest rifle I've ever seen. :wub: I'll post pics after it's release to me. Bill SB249 will never pass.

Nice, 10/22's are fun!I have a Daniel Defense Sopmod Block II clone, ammo has been a pain to find so no shooting for me lately so the Tank is where my attention has been at lol

Nice, 10/22's are fun!I have a Daniel Defense Sopmod Block II clone, ammo has been a pain to find so no shooting for me lately so the Tank is where my attention has been at lol

Nice. I try to stay far away from anything the military uses... even if it's heavily modded. My BF has spent the last 7 years in the USMC and anything "work related" takes the fun out of it for him. He was dragging his heels the first time to the range but now he's all about it. I target shoot, it's good fun. I will say, I defiantly like the reef tank crowd rather than the gun show crowd.... although I stick out like a sore thumb either way.

Hahaha yea the Reef crowd is more laid back compared to gun junkies. Target shooting is way fun, have you tried skeet shooting? That's fun too

Hahaha yea the Reef crowd is more laid back compared to gun junkies. Target shooting is way fun, have you tried skeet shooting? That's fun too

LOL. We went skeet shooting two weekend ago, super fun. My uncle was a world champion trap shooter in the 80's and started a shotgun magazine that's still around. It's in my genes I suppose.

That frogspawn is gorgeous! Did you pick that up at Vivid? I purchased a bi-color like that last year. They are my favorite variety! Maybe we'll run into each other there sometime :) I haven't been in quite a while.

That frogspawn is gorgeous! Did you pick that up at Vivid? I purchased a bi-color like that last year. They are my favorite variety! Maybe we'll run into each other there sometime :) I haven't been in quite a while.

Thanks! Yay, back from work trip and everything looks stellar. Sigh. I picked it up from Mini_GBR who had the totm back in June of '09... he did get his piece from Vivid... it's stunning, I'm glad he talked me into taking a frag. I've been going to Vivid once a month or so... if you see a wiry looking blonde who looks lost (and if it's a weekend, slightly hung over), that's me. I'm dying to get back down to Coral Collection. I went there before I had a tank set up and was awestruck. Any other local places that I'm missing out on?

Thanks! Yay, back from work trip and everything looks stellar. Sigh. I picked it up from Mini_GBR who had the totm back in June of '09... he did get his piece from Vivid... it's stunning, I'm glad he talked me into taking a frag. I've been going to Vivid once a month or so... if you see a wiry looking blonde who looks lost (and if it's a weekend, slightly hung over), that's me. I'm dying to get back down to Coral Collection. I went there before I had a tank set up and was awestruck. Any other local places that I'm missing out on?

Awesome!

I've been on a coral buying freeze which is why I haven't been there recently. Too tempting :lol: I do go there for my Phyto and Oyster feast though...they are the only ones that carry it, that I've found so far. I'm due for a new batch too.

I've never been to Coral Collection. Where is that one? I'm assuming OC? There's a place in San Diego I want to visit but I can't remember the name off-hand. I've heard that Rainbow Pets in Pacoima is good for fish...I've never been there though. My little LFS here in Burbank isn't too bad. He doesn't stock a lot of livestock, but he'll get things for you if you ask. Scales N' Tails. Great prices on hardware/salt.

So, I came home at something like 4am on Saturday and took a look at my tank before I passed out in bed, to my surprise I caught a glimpse of a polyclad flatworm. This thing was huge 3"+, and really quite beautiful. I was wondering why my snails kept disappearing and now I know. Look like my new buddy will have to go. Well, good thing I didn't but that Maxima last week.

Really the only reason that I got a reef tank was because I fell totally in love with a maze brain coral that Vivid had, about a month ago I brought one home and I've been feeding it Cyclopeeze. It's nowhere near any other corals and gets fed regularly but it has it's feeder and sweeper tentacles out 80% of the time... what's the deal? Do I need to return this guy?

7876001574_bf956edfa5_z.jpg

Archived