Cultivated Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

A while ago we talked about the orange crush leptastrea. Heres an update in much higher quality. Its starting to encrust nicely.

Thanks for the update and yes indeed it is starting to look really better ....

I appreciate it your letting me know.

Albert

Unfortunately my wife was involved in an accident last night and totaled the Car.

She spent a number of hours in the ER, and was then released around 1:00 AM, with a severe bruise on one knee that now looks like a watermelon in size, and her chest somewhat crushed after the airbags opened, and she was thrown against the bag that then broke, and she then hit the steering wheel.

Fortunately, and thank God, the injuries are more of the "severe bruises" kind, and no internal injuries were found.

She is back home and resting, and obviously on pain killers but she is doing OK ... A few days in bed and some rest will heal the bruises.

Looks like she may have made a right hand turn off a main road when another card going straight on the same road hit her. She did not see the car as apparently its lights were not on and it happened on a dark road ....

Guess the Insurance Co. will total the car, as the damage is pretty severe and involves the whole front and the engine compartment.

But the main thing is that she is fine and not severely injured. The other car may be totaled as well as it is also pretty much in such a shape that fixing it may not be an option.

Good thing we have good insurance, so it appears that all the damages and the hospitalization of both the other driver and my wife will all be covered.

Just thought I would let you know as I had to cancel my participation in the Sunday Radio show I normally do, and the reason why I could not participate was announced on the show and so some are aware of what happened. So if you hear about it from other sources just know that she is OK ... well it will take a few days or more for her to get back to normal but she did not incur any serious injuries.

Albert

OMG Albert si sorry to hear about your wife's accident the damage to both cars and both persons involved. Very glad to hear Mrs is OK apart from the bruising which is bad enough but could have been so much worse. Cars are but metal and can be replaced. Give your wife my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Take care and look after her.

• Like 1

I have been playing around with the spec of the LED's available from the supplier of the 50w nano LED unit I posted up a few days ago as I intend to buy one soon. My intentions are to use this unit behind my current 120w Chinese natural spectrum LED unit to highlight some SPS corals I have that could do with a bit more light directed at them. My tank is a 2' cube. BTW C.white refers to Cool whiite LED's.

Any comments and suggestions welcome.

LEDarrangement002_zps5fc7b252.jpg

• Like 1

OMG Albert si sorry to hear about your wife's accident the damage to both cars and both persons involved. Very glad to hear Mrs is OK apart from the bruising which is bad enough but could have been so much worse. Cars are but metal and can be replaced. Give your wife my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Take care and look after her.

Thank you very kindly Les and Sarah thanks you as well ... she is resting, as would be expected, especially given all the "pills" she has to take to alleviate the pain ....

And yes ... cars can be replaced at some point ...

Hopefully she will back to her old self real soon.

Albert

• Like 1

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

I was in a car accident some years back and spent months in physical therapy. Not fun lol

Thank you Sarah and I appreciate the kind words and yes you are right being in an accident is never a pleasant experience and more often that not it is not only both physically and mentally challenging to deal with ...

Albert

• Like 1

OMG, Albert I really hate to hear that your wife was in an accident. I hope she is not in to much pain and I pray for a speedy recovery. Forget the radio show. Just take care of her. I know what it is like to have a wife for most of my life.

We do tend to get attached and feel their pain.

Paul

• Like 2

OMG, Albert I really hate to hear that your wife was in an accident. I hope she is not in to much pain and I pray for a speedy recovery. Forget the radio show. Just take care of her. I know what it is like to have a wife for most of my life.

We do tend to get attached and feel their pain.

Paul

Thank you Paul. I appreciate the kind words and thoughts and, yes, after 36+ years of being married to her I do indeed care for her a lot.

She is still in pain because I guess she can now only take mild pain killers and so all the bruised areas are much more painful than they were yesterday (well now she really feels them).

She will be OK but it will take a while for the chest/rib cage pain to go away and for the knee to get back to normal as it still looks like a watermelon right now ...

We are seeing an Orthopedist on Thursday morning so we can figure out whether anything else is wrong than just the bruising ... (the ER said they could not see anything broken etc., so let's hope that is the case).

And on the accident ... still don't really know what exactly happened as the Police report is not available till tomorrow.

Managed to get a rental car so at least I can get around ... looks like the Mercedes is totaled ... what a shame, ... but the main thing is not the car .. it is Sarah, and she is ok ... thank God

Albert

• Like 1

I hope your wife is feeling better today Albert.

Now I have to go outside and shovel as we received about a foot of snow last night and it is 9 degrees out so it is nice and balmy.

• Like 1

I hsve just agreed the LEDs I want in the new light I posted about with the seller. All being well this light should be ideal for a nano up to around an 18" cube. I will post a pic of the LED spec latter.

• Like 1

I hope your wife is feeling better today Albert.

Now I have to go outside and shovel as we received about a foot of snow last night and it is 9 degrees out so it is nice and balmy.

Thanks for asking Paul .. but no unfortunately not ... She is back in the ER since last night, and they did a CAT scan and found that she has a broken sternum and one broken rib ... for which they cannot do anything apparently. It has to heal by itself ...

I am picking her up later this morning as I think they will let her come home today ...

I picked up the Police report yesterday with a rental car I was able to get, and they are blaming the accident on her (unfortunately) so it is going to be a total loss for the car and hopefully the insurance will cover the medical bills for her and the passenger of the other car. Do not know yet but I am sure I'll find out as soon as they get their copy of the Police report. Big setback in that side but what can I do? Not much except go to court on March 31 when a hearing is scheduled and fight the conclusion made by the Police, as the report is kind of vague and is not really clear IMO as to whether she is really at fault or whether that is just their interpretation for now. Guess we'll have to wait and see ...

Man oh man ... what a mess but thank God Sarah is OK ... she will heal so that is the main thing, but the morale here is not too positive as you can well imagine.

And sorry to read about the weather in the NY area .. I heard on the news that you were going to get hit again and I guess you were. Hopefully all is ok with the tank ...

Albert

I hsve just agreed the LEDs I want in the new light I posted about with the seller. All being well this light should be ideal for a nano up to around an 18" cube. I will post a pic of the LED spec latter.

Thanks Les, glad you figured out what configuration you wanted and I hope it works out for you that way. ..

I am going to keep it short as I have a Dr's appt myself this morning at 09:00, and then I will be heading to the Hospital (my appt is unrelated to the accident btw)

Albert

I have just finalized the 50w LED unit and have just ordered it. I have attached a pic of the layout of LED's I settled on. I have been working with the company to produce what I believe to be the best colour combination of LED's with the limit of 50W and 20 LED's. Any comments welcome however I will give a full report when I have it and have run it for a few days at least. BTW for the cynical among us I did make a single penny nor did I get any discount on the unit. There are just 4 units left at the promotional price which will go up I understand once those have been sold.

Here is a pic of the LED layout and colours I have chosen with them.
nanoLEDarrangement2_zpscfb691ce.jpg

• Like 1

Albert, I know that is painful. My best regards to her.

Yes indeed, based on what she tells me and how she reacts when she moves her upper body, it has to be for sure ...

Thanks Paul ... I will pass your best wishes on to her. They are keeping her at the Hospital for another night .. but now she is in a regular room.

Albert

I have just finalized the 50w LED unit and have just ordered it. I have attached a pic of the layout of LED's I settled on. I have been working with the company to produce what I believe to be the best colour combination of LED's with the limit of 50W and 20 LED's. Any comments welcome however I will give a full report when I have it and have run it for a few days at least. BTW for the cynical among us I did make a single penny nor did I get any discount on the unit. There are just 4 units left at the promotional price which will go up I understand once those have been sold.

Here is a pic of the LED layout and colours I have chosen with them.

Nice layout Les ....

Albert

• Like 1

Thanks Albert. They have made 5 of them and put them on UK ebay (not sure if they have aldo put them on US ebay yet) 2 have sold already. Maybe they will become a best seller for them lol.

Sorry to hear your wife was worse that first thought and hope she will be home tomorrow and her injuries heal soon.

• Like 1

Thanks Albert. They have made 5 of them and put them on UK ebay (not sure if they have aldo put them on US ebay yet) 2 have sold already. Maybe they will become a best seller for them lol.

Sorry to hear your wife was worse that first thought and hope she will be home tomorrow and her injuries heal soon.

Thanks Les, and yes it is worse indeed than was originally diagnosed mainly because the Hospital she was brought to did not take a scan of her chest and did not even do an EKG et ... terrible treatment for a Trauma Hospital I would say.

We found out because since she kept complaining about that severe chest pain I took her to the ER of the nearby Emery University Hospital and there they did all the tests and scans, and are now, I just heard, releasing the pressure on the knee by drawing the fluid out with needles, and based on what I am told they took out 45 cc of fluid already ... She is not coming home today and not sure about tomorrow.

I came home for a few hours to deal with email and forum notifications from Nano-Reef and other Forums and then I am going back to Emory.

And on the lights .... it will indeed be interesting to see whether it takes off as they say and also of course what you will be reporting on the results you see from it in a few days.

Albert

• Like 1

how is your wife doing albert? very sorry to hear about the accident.

Thank you for asking ... she is actually still at the Hospital but "may" come home today ... not sure yet ... I should find out around 11:30 or so when the supervising Dr in charge will come and see her and decide ...

Again thanks ..

Albert

• Like 1

Hi Albert,

I do hope Mrs Thiel is feeling much better today and that she will be allowed home. I am sure it would be good to have her home where you can take good care of her. Best wishes for a homecoming and speedy recovery.

I hope I am OK in posting the following link but thought you (and many others) might like to see a couple of videos of my fav FLS here in the NW UK. The videos aren't of the shop more what they have stock wise and they are always well stocked with corals. In may they are holding a very special weekend with lots of speakers and all manner of things, I will be there for at least one of the days but not speaking.

Anyway I hope its OK to post the following link, let me know if its not please.

http://www.thesaltybox.com/forum/aquarium-cockfields/147084-sneak-peek-before-mega-stock-thread.html#post1436615

BTW no photoshop pic's its just the lighting they use so what you see is what you get and the prices are pretty good as well.

• Like 1