ReefCleaners.org

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I am glad Sarah doesn't have any serious injuries.

As for the car. Last week my lease was almost up so we went to lease a new car. We lease my wifes car and I buy mine.

We went to Jeep to get a Cherokee. Of course they jump on you as soon as you enter the showroom and tell you how great their cars are and how they are giving them away. I said, OK I want that car over there but I don't want to hear all about it, how wonderful it drives, the gas mileage, how many Supermodels I can pick up in it or anything like that. I read the window sticker and researched the car online

(I was also a General Motors mechanic) So I take a test drive and when we get back to the show room I get ready to sign for the car and I give the guy my lease from my old car because they pick up the last month's payment. The guy looks at it and says, you don't have a month left on your lease, you have 14 months left.

So I read the year wrong, shoot me. So now I still have my old car, which is only two years old and we love it, it is a Chevy Equinox and gets about 340 miles to the gallon. Dam, I added an extra zero. That is what I must have done with that lease.

• Like 1

I am glad Sarah doesn't have any serious injuries.

As for the car. Last week my lease was almost up so we went to lease a new car. We lease my wifes car and I buy mine.

We went to Jeep to get a Cherokee. Of course they jump on you as soon as you enter the showroom and tell you how great their cars are and how they are giving them away. I said, OK I want that car over there but I don't want to hear all about it, how wonderful it drives, the gas mileage, how many Supermodels I can pick up in it or anything like that. I read the window sticker and researched the car online

(I was also a General Motors mechanic) So I take a test drive and when we get back to the show room I get ready to sign for the car and I give the guy my lease from my old car because they pick up the last month's payment. The guy looks at it and says, you don't have a month left on your lease, you have 14 months left.

So I read the year wrong, shoot me. So now I still have my old car, which is only two years old and we love it, it is a Chevy Equinox and gets about 340 miles to the gallon. Dam, I added an extra zero. That is what I must have done with that lease.

Thanks Paul and I am glad that they did not find anything serious as I was getting really concerned based on her complaints about pain here and pain there and pain somewhere else etc .. but the X-rays did not reveal anything that we should apparently worry about ... it will just take time to heal ...

And on your car purchase ... you made me laugh .... off by 1 year ... well that is a bummer especially if you were thinking about getting a new one and getting all excited about having a brand new ride ...

Oh well .. it's only 11 or so more months and who knows what marvels they will have on the market by then ... I even hear they will have some mounted on a gimbal that will have a fish tank in it and the gimbal will keep it level for you ... so I would wait for that one for sure :)

I did some work many years ago on installing one on a double gimbal on a yacht when I still lived in CT ... and let me tell you that was quite an undertaking ... big yacht too ... the whole tank was enclosed and all the filtration was underneath ... and as you can well imagine that kind of a set up is not easy to design and set up ... and those large gimbal are not give-aways either.

No corals in it though, just fish ... Nice job it was ...

Albert

I also thought about putting a small tank on my boat on a gimbal, but I am not on the boat every day and certainly not in the winter so I nixed that idea. I do usually have a bucket or two of marine creatures on my boat from hermit crabs, to eels to fiddler crabs, sea robins, flounders, lobsters and of course amphipods. Speaking of eels, on my very first tank I had a static electricity problem in that every time I put my hand in the tank I would get a shock. Then my electric eel went dead.

As for the pain, that is tough especially when we get to our age (and you are a couple of years older than I am I like to impress) we all get these unknown pains all over our body. Like the guy who went to the doctor and said I got this pain over here and he pointed to his arm and I got this pain over here and he pointed to his knee and this hurts over here. The doctor told him, you got a broken finger.

• Like 1

I also thought about putting a small tank on my boat on a gimbal, but I am not on the boat every day and certainly not in the winter so I nixed that idea. I do usually have a bucket or two of marine creatures on my boat from hermit crabs, to eels to fiddler crabs, sea robins, flounders, lobsters and of course amphipods. Speaking of eels, on my very first tank I had a static electricity problem in that every time I put my hand in the tank I would get a shock. Then my electric eel went dead.

As for the pain, that is tough especially when we get to our age (and you are a couple of years older than I am I like to impress) we all get these unknown pains all over our body. Like the guy who went to the doctor and said I got this pain over here and he pointed to his arm and I got this pain over here and he pointed to his knee and this hurts over here. The doctor told him, you got a broken finger.

True unless you are on the boat all the time or have a crew on it and someone that can take care of the aquarium, having one would not really work ... in the case I took care of it was a large one and they had a crew on board and so I had to teach one of the crew members how to take care of everything, and then eventually the owner got a maintenance company to do it when the boat was docked.

I like your pain story ... indeed I am sure that has happened ! :)

Albert

Hi Albert, just thought i would show you this new aquarium i have made and will be selling here in the UK, i have called it the 'Nano Drop' aquarium, the size of it is 2ft long, 18" wide and 18" at the deep end, it has a euro brace on top, there will be a choice of colours for the weir which is white, black, blue, it holds aprox 70ltrs, there are also 2x piece of tube that comes with it which will act as a stand for this aquarium, this is so that you dont need a specialy made cabinet for this shape of aquarium and also the plumbing will go inside of the tube to keep it all nice and tidy and the tubes will be in colour as to hide the plumbing.

IMG_0199_zps36b0b9f8.jpg

IMG_0200_zps0b9cd7be.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Albert, just thought i would show you this new aquarium i have made and will be selling here in the UK, i have called it the 'Nano Drop' aquarium, the size of it is 2ft long, 18" wide and 18" at the deep end, it has a euro brace on top, there will be a choice of colours for the weir which is white, black, blue, it holds aprox 70ltrs, there are also 2x piece of tube that comes with it which will act as a stand for this aquarium, this is so that you dont need a specialy made cabinet for this shape of aquarium and also the plumbing will go inside of the tube to keep it all nice and tidy and the tubes will be in colour as to hide the plumbing.

IMG_0199_zps36b0b9f8.jpg

IMG_0200_zps0b9cd7be.jpg

Very interesting concept and a nice size for a Nano as that is around 18 gallons or so ...

I like the shape and how you will fashion the use of the back supports ....

Looks like there is nice space in the back for filtration and media too ....

Nice work ... Thanks for posting it

Albert

Thank you Albert, the plan for this tank is that it will be sumped to increase the water volume.

Yes that would make sense indeed ... more volume of water = less bioload per gallon which is always a +

And I guess all the piping can run through those round supports .... nice

Albert

Morning all. For the last 2 days I have been wotking on and off making my new light surround box with LED cradle. Almost finished it just a couple of coats of paint required to the wooden surround itself. I will post pic's when installed in a day ir two.

• Like 1

Morning all. For the last 2 days I have been wotking on and off making my new light surround box with LED cradle. Almost finished it just a couple of coats of paint required to the wooden surround itself. I will post pic's when installed in a day ir two.

Yes that is a lot of work indeed ...

Look forward to seeing the pics Les

Albert

Well my new Light surround box is completed all bar a bit of wiring tidying up to do. Its similar to my last one but with an added rear section to house my new 50w 10LED unit. It also has a TMC Aquaray Reef Blue LED sitting between my 120w LED and the 50w LED units. Here are a few pic's of it.

Firstly the revised cradle. ( note there is no rear support in this pic as that is attached to the inside of the surround box.)

Lightsurroundbox005_zps4fd32091.jpg

The underside of the cradle with the Aquaray fitted. Sorry its out of focus.

Lightsurroundbox004_zps0c61ceee.jpg

The light units sitting in their cradles inside the light box. [MG]http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/lesmelling/Lightsurroundbox009_zps2c5c9b6f.jpg[/img]

The new unit sitting on the tank surround. The glass could do with a bit of a clean.

Lightsurroundbox006_zpsa7e4088c.jpg

The whole unit sits on four bogies with two attached to the cradle near the front of it and two more attached to the wooden surround box itself (not as in the pic with all four bogies showing attached to the cradle).

By sliding the whole thing back and forth I can easily gain access to the tank. The 3 lights.inc my new 50w LED unit have only been on the tank an hour so very early days yet to report anything of note. I have dispensed with the 2 TMC Aquaray Fiji Blues for the sake of the new 50w LED unit and the clour looks more natural now. .

• Like 1

Well my new Light surround box is completed all bar a bit of wiring tidying up to do. Its similar to my last one but with an added rear section to house my new 50w 10LED unit. It also has a TMC Aquaray Reef Blue LED sitting between my 120w LED and the 50w LED units. Here are a few pic's of it.

Firstly the revised cradle. ( note there is no rear support in this pic as that is attached to the inside of the surround box.)

The underside of the cradle with the Aquaray fitted. Sorry its out of focus.

The light units sitting in their cradles inside the light box. [MG]http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/lesmelling/Lightsurroundbox009_zps2c5c9b6f.jpg[/img]

The new unit sitting on the tank surround. The glass could do with a bit of a clean.

The whole unit sits on four bogies with two attached to the cradle near the front of it and two more attached to the wooden surround box itself (not as in the pic with all four bogies showing attached to the cradle).

By sliding the whole thing back and forth I can easily gain access to the tank. The 3 lights.inc my new 50w LED unit have only been on the tank an hour so very early days yet to report anything of note. I have dispensed with the 2 TMC Aquaray Fiji Blues for the sake of the new 50w LED unit and the clour looks more natural now. .

Wow ... very nice Les but that must have taken quite a bit of work to get it all together and in place and working properly.

Glad to read you managed to get it all done and it will be interesting to find out how this new set up is benefitting the tank ... and as you say too early yet to tell ...

Thanks for posting the update ...

Albert

AND ON ANOTHER NOTE

I have been busy playing Nurse Thiel and taking care of the house and driving Sarah around to where she needed to go so I have not been very active here and on other four,s.

She is doing ok but to fully heal from the shock and the injuries is going to take some time ....

• Like 1

Thanks Albert. It took a while to construct but as with most things it took longer to workout and plan how I was going to fit it all in. I am still experimenting with the Auarays and have just put in one if the Fiji blues but it doesn't appear to make much of a difference as the two main LED units overpower it. I will try different combinations but at the moment I will probably dispence with the Fiji's all together.

Glad to hear Sarah is at least getting out and about even if ut takes your help. I guess it will be a while before she makes a full recovery but at least she has you to assist her.

• Like 1

Thanks Albert. It took a while to construct but as with most things it took longer to workout and plan how I was going to fit it all in. I am still experimenting with the Auarays and have just put in one if the Fiji blues but it doesn't appear to make much of a difference as the two main LED units overpower it. I will try different combinations but at the moment I will probably dispence with the Fiji's all together.

Glad to hear Sarah is at least getting out and about even if ut takes your help. I guess it will be a while before she makes a full recovery but at least she has you to assist her.

Yes when it comes to what you had in mind a lot of time goes into planning first indeed, and then getting it all done and finished the way you want it and like it ...

And on the mix of LED's, indeed IME you are going to need to experiment some as you say yourself till you figure out what the best mix and intensity etc ... is for your tank and what you have in it ... but that is all part of the satisfaction we get from running our reefs right !

And thanks for the kind words on Sarah ... yes it will take some time indeed so I will drive her around until I am convinced she is OK and until the Dr's say the same ....

She needs to continue doing her Real Estate business as we "certainly" need that income ....

Albert

I have just noticed Dick the Chinese guy making and selling the 50W nano LED units has relisted them on the bay as the initial batch sold out quickly.

• Like 1

I have just noticed Dick the Chinese guy making and selling the 50W nano LED units has relisted them on the bay as the initial batch sold out quickly.

Well I guess they sold fast indeed but did you not say he only made 5 or only offered 5 for sale ?

With so few they would have sold fast indeed

Albert

• Like 1

I guess it is just an ugly moorish Idol

Ugly indeed ... wonder how that came about though ... and whether that fish will actually survive ...

Albert

Yes but we are talking about a relative small market within the UK plus thy have not been trading so long here and don't have many feedback's so people are often reluctant to buy from such traders. The 5 units were to gauge reaction and gain some feedback I think. They have now listed a further 10 with UK eBay. I am sure you are aware the US is a far bigger market for reef aquarium items. I know of no new manufacturer with no proven record that would sell 5 units in such a small space of time on eBay. However given the price of these LED units and the fact they would be ideal to mount one as I have or say between 2 larger units to fill in the void in the middle then they would be a good choice esp when you see whats available in the price range EG a TMC Aquaray. Also this 50w unit would light anything up to say a 18" cube depending on what you wish to keep of course. .

Well I guess they sold fast indeed but did you not say he only made 5 or only offered 5 for sale ?

With so few they would have sold fast indeed

Albert

• Like 1

Yes but we are talking about a relative small market within the UK plus thy have not been trading so long here and don't have many feedback's so people are often reluctant to buy from such traders. The 5 units were to gauge reaction and gain some feedback I think. They have now listed a further 10 with UK eBay. I am sure you are aware the US is a far bigger market for reef aquarium items. I know of no new manufacturer with no proven record that would sell 5 units in such a small space of time on eBay. However given the price of these LED units and the fact they would be ideal to mount one as I have or say between 2 larger units to fill in the void in the middle then they would be a good choice esp when you see whats available in the price range EG a TMC Aquaray. Also this 50w unit would light anything up to say a 18" cube depending on what you wish to keep of course. .

Yes that is very true .. I did not take that into consideration Les ... but I guess the feedback, if any, must have been good and so they can try to sell some more.

Good for them

Albert

• Like 1