Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

My wife is indeed, the only thing however she is worried about Gena is water spills ... :0

Albert

Sounds like you might need to invest in a Reefloat AWC then Albert :lol: No spill water changes then ;)

Touche .... :)

Noooo hence the funnies and it won't be so funny if you spill old tank water on that nice floor of Mrs Thiel's. Guts for garters come to mind :o

albertthiel
Noooo hence the funnies and it won't be so funny if you spill old tank water on that nice floor of Mrs Thiel's. Guts for garters come to mind :o

Yes I agree care will have to be the name of the game all the time and not just for water changes :0

albertthiel

Well I went to Home D and found a 5000K CFT which is the highest they had.

Not as high as I wanted as there are 6500k ones but they've did not have them.

But this is just a temp light and better than the 2600K I had so it will do for now

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Hey Albert here is the crab again ;)

I have this crazy hitch hiker crab, I think it is a decorator crab...maybe you can tell?

It's wearing one of my purple death paly's as a hat <_<:lol:

It is dime size and has def grown since the first time I spotted it..

IMG_20120625_145828.jpg

IMG_20120625_145757.jpg

jedimasterben
And here it is when I first spotted it in the pico...video included :)

pix

IMG_20120410_094707.jpg

IMG_20120410_094237.jpg

and a video

th_VID_20120410_093939.jpg

Looks like a decorator to me, especially if he is picking up corals to use as a toupee. ;)

Finding Paulo

Hello,

so i bought the 50g artisan 2 system from cadlights and i had another question...

first off here is a llink to my tank.

http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=158

it says it has an "Overflow system has a maximum drain speed of 1000GPH." and it came with a 495 pgh pump. my question is do i need a better pump. it seems to me the one provided is a made in china generic one.

2nd question is ive been cycling it for 2 months and couldnt help to notice that the water level on my display tank is 2inches from the top of the rimless glass. i dont want it that low, is there anythign i can do? will a stronger pump resolve this issue?

albertthiel
Hey Albert here is the crab again ;)

I have this crazy hitch hiker crab, I think it is a decorator crab...maybe you can tell?

It's wearing one of my purple death paly's as a hat <_<:lol:

It is dime size and has def grown since the first time I spotted it..

IMG_20120625_145828.jpg

IMG_20120625_145757.jpg

Based on its behavior I have to believe that it is a Decorator crab as they often will get other animal life on their shell top as camouflage and then just roam around the tank, but I will take another look as the pics are not all that clear for me to see the crab ... I 'll get back to you on it later but I do think it is a Decorator crab.

Here is one that looks like yours that is "really" decorated :

decoratorcrab.png

Take a good look at yours and the image and let me know what you think ...... Tks

I looked at the Video but I do not see all the animal life it seems to have on top of itself as what I see in the pictures ... are you sure the one in the video is the same ? Also I cannot see the color in the video ... what color is that crab ?

Edited by albertthiel
albertthiel
Looks like a decorator to me, especially if he is picking up corals to use as a toupee. ;)

Jedimaster ... I think so too but what bothers me somewhat is that the color of the one we see in the pic is not the color I see in other pics .... I have to rethink this to be sure as this may be another type

Also one of the pictures shows the crab with nothing on its back ... and of a different color than the one in the original picture and from the video I cannot make out what color it is.

May still be a decorator ... but I will take another look and post something later ....

Albert

Hello,

so i bought the 50g artisan 2 system from cadlights and i had another question...

it says it has an "Overflow system has a maximum drain speed of 1000GPH." and it came with a 495 pgh pump. my question is do i need a better pump. it seems to me the one provided is a made in china generic one.

2nd question is ive been cycling it for 2 months and couldnt help to notice that the water level on my display tank is 2inches from the top of the rimless glass. i dont want it that low, is there anythign i can do? will a stronger pump resolve this issue?

What they are telling you IMO is that you can increase the pump strength but not to a degree higher than the maximum indicated down flow speed of 1000 GPH ... make no sense to me therefore that they are sending you a low powered pump. Can you call the people who sold you this and get some clarification ?

I would try to do so if I were you as the rating for that pump versus the allowable drain speed seems like too great a difference (1/2 and that is if you get the full power out of the pump)

Confusing instructions IMO .... see whether you can talk to them and then let us know will you.

If their answer is that they send that kind of pump because the unit is configured for a particular size tank then that would be an explanation for sending you that pump, and allowing you to use the unit on a larger tank and with a stronger pump .... my thoughts ....

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
albertthiel
He albert in a biocube 8 do you think a clown would fit or is 8 g too small for any fish? Thanks

I think that is too small unfortunately as you really don't even have 8 gallons in there due to rock etc ...

FWIW

Albert

Thanks jedimasterben! just the name makes me happy lolol I wonder how big it will get :mellow:

Albert some flower nem pix from my old 20H :) only because they are one of my favorites!

Picture bomb!

right click for larger pix

P1010031.jpg

P1010007-1.jpg

P1010020-3.jpg

P1010019-3.jpg

P1010008-7.jpg

P1010053.jpg

P1010007-7.jpg

P1010009-9.jpg

ok...slipped the masked goby in :P

P1010050-1.jpg

P1010031-2.jpg

P1010041-1.jpg

:happy:

albertthiel
And here it is when I first spotted it in the pico...video included :)

pix

IMG_20120410_094707.jpg

IMG_20120410_094237.jpg

and a video

th_VID_20120410_093939.jpg

Is that Crab "purplish" with "blue" looking dots on its back ... or what is the exact color and what are the dots I see in the one picture ?

Please let me now ... Thanks

Thanks jedimasterben! just the name makes me happy lolol I wonder how big it will get :mellow:

Albert some flower nem pix from my old 20H :) only because they are one of my favorites!

Picture bomb!

P1010031.jpg

P1010007-1.jpg

P1010020-3.jpg

P1010019-3.jpg

P1010008-7.jpg

P1010053.jpg

P1010007-7.jpg

P1010009-9.jpg

ok...slipped the masked goby in :P

P1010050-1.jpg

P1010031-2.jpg

P1010041-1.jpg

:happy:

What can I say ...... ? GORGEOUS ... really very nice got2envy ! thanks for posting them

Albert

albertthiel
Hello,

The level in the tank has to do with where the outflow is located .... how many inches from the top is that .. IMO that must be 2 inches or so from the top and that is why your tank's water level is also that distance from the top ...

Not sure whether this is by design but I agree that 2 inches from the top is a lot ...

Again if you can get hold of them I would ask that question.

You only other option is a modification of where the outflow is located ...

Can you send a picture of where the holes are ?

Albert

Picture bomb!

P1010031.jpg

This in particular is really gorgeous !

Hi Albert - I would love it if you ID this hitchhiker for me. I had posted it in the ID forum, but so far no one seems to know what it is. Thank you very much for looking!

Taken 062512

btw, it's hanging on Clove Polyps, so you can get an idea of it's size. It also was underneath the rick when I got it and has very slowly traveled to where it is now. About 2 weeks ago. it's doesn't seem to bother the cloves.

- Susan

Edited by belsenj
albertthiel

Check out this site for some super Zoanthids .... many real UNUSUAL ones ...

http://www.coralgazers.com/soft-corals/zoanthids/

Albert

---------------

Hi Albert - I would love it if you ID this hitchhiker for me. I had posted it in the ID forum, but so far no one seems to know what it is. Thank you very much for looking!

Taken 062512

- Susan

Susan I see different things there .... what are you looking to ID that little one with the tiny spikes or tentacles ... let me know please and I'll see what I can come up with for you ...

If you can make a close up pic of just what you want the ID for that would probably help me as well. Sorry I can't reply right now, just need a little more info ...

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
albertthiel
Not a problem. Here it is taken last Thursday and I zoomed the photo and circled it.

Up Close

Yes that is what it thought ... I will try to come up with an ID for you ...

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
jedimasterben
Not sure whether this is by design but I agree that 2 inches from the top is a lot ...

2" from the top is standard for any rimless & drilled tank. Mine is at least two inches from the rim, possibly two and a half.

I looked at the Video but I do not see all the animal life it seems to have on top of itself as what I see in the pictures ... are you sure the one in the video is the same ? Also I cannot see the color in the video ... what color is that crab ?

The crab in the video is the same one. I had it in my pico first, then I transferred everything to the 10g. It was much smaller in the pico when I first dicovered it and has grown since the video! I figured it was a type of decorator crab when I saw it sporting small rubble, sponges and a paly. It is grey with a pointy head...it almost looks furry. It is hard to take pics of it :(

Edited by got2envy
  • Like 1