SaltCritters.com

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Stunning imagery of Pelagic Mesoplankton

© By Leonard Ho - Oct, 2012 and Advanced Aquarist Magazine

Photographer Solvin Zanki captures some of the most amazing photos of plankton we've ever seen. We share some of his amazing work. If these photos do not instill a sense of awe and wonder for the diversity of life in our oceans, we give up.

mesoplankton.png

ms.png

ms1.png

Link: http://tinyurl.com/9g6hqqh - - Article and more images

Albert

SO cool!!!!!!!

Yes amazing what some of them look like .. this photographer did a super job at getting those macro pictures.

Deep Ocean Corals and other life forms could be inspiration for an "Alien" movie for sure, the way they look.

I had a link to some real deep ocean corals and will have to try and find it again so I can post it here.

Albert

Symbiosis on the Fringe Reef Video

You will see some amazing views of symbiotic relationships and organisms you may not have seen before. A video you should watch IMO

5bb.png

1bb.png

2bb.png

3bb.png

4bb.png

Link:

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

REMINDER :

HGTV to air special: "Ultimate Aquariums" Today at 1:00 EST

Cable television network HGTV will premiere an one hour special on October 12, 2012 titled "Ultimate Aquariums." The new show will feature concept, design, and install of high-end custom installations built for "celebrities and the wealthy."

The show airs at 1:00 pm EST / 12:00 Central

Albert

A great Reef Aquarium Video

Note: Cannot give an attribution as there seems to be an issue with the actual ownership, but the Video is Stunning !

Apparently the comments state that the attribution should be to someone else than the one who posted the Video. This does NOT take away from the quality of the Video however

You should watch it.

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

The Reef Aquarium of Tomi Wittfooth - 150 Gallons

© By Tomi Wittfooth (5/2012)

This month's Feature Aquarium comes to us from Finland. Tomi's serendipitous discovery of reefkeeping has culminated in his latest 570 liter (150 US gallon) reef aquarium. While his tank is still relatively young, its vibrant beauty is undeniable.

tw.png

tw1.png

tw2.png

tw3.png

tw4.png

Link to article and more pictures : http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/5/aquarium

Albert

Marine Engineers - Video of Cutting an Anemone in Two ... and How

© VividAquariums and Marine Engineers

anemonecut.png

Very interesting Video of how they cut a large Anemome in two, under water, while it was attached to a side pane of glass of a large aquarium

Not sure if you want to try this at home but this is a most interesting Video to Watch, and see the result after 2 weeks.

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

OK tank cabinet and sump is now in place after a bit of a struggle and some help from a neighbour to lift the tank onto its stand. MY god is that heavy and why is it so difficult to get tanks level in 2 plains. :o Some of the pipework is installed as well. here is a pic of it in my chosen position very close to my River and Reef tank.

2cubetank001.jpg

OK tank cabinet and sump is now in place after a bit of a struggle and some help from a neighbour to lift the tank onto its stand. MY god is that heavy and why is it so difficult to get tanks level in 2 plains. :o Some of the pipework is installed as well. here is a pic of it in my chosen position very close to my River and Reef tank.

2cubetank001.jpg

Yes looking at it Les I can understand that it is a "heavy" tank indeed ... good you had some help, and on leveling ... isn't that fun ... until you get frustrated because you can' t get it level on 2 planes as you say, that's when It gets frustrating but in the end I guess you figured it out.

Well first step taken care of I guess ! ... Good luck with the other steps but since you have done this before I am sure you'll get it all taken care of without incidents ...

And on the water ... did you get the large buckets ? preparing it yourself ? or are you buying already made up water ?

I know you'll keep us posted so I look forward to the next post ....

Oh and that IS a VERY nice tank for sure !!!

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
Yes looking at it Les I can understand that it is a "heavy" tank indeed ... good you had some help, and on leveling ... isn't that fun ... until you get frustrated because you can' t get it level on 2 planes as you say, that's when It gets frustrating but in the end I guess you figured it out.

Well first step taken care of I guess ! ... Good luck with the other steps but since you have done this before I am sure you'll get it all taken care of without incidents ...

And on the water ... did you get the large buckets ? preparing it yourself ? or are you buying already made up water ?

I know you'll keep us posted so I look forward to the next post ....

Oh and that IS a VERY nice tank for sure !!!

Albert

I think I have the tank level enough now I am picking up a water barrel I bought secondhand off eBay tomorrow morning Apart from that I don't expect to get much done this weekend on the tank at all as I have other things on along with work on Sunday. No peace for the wicked hey :o

I think I have the tank level enough now I am picking up a water barrel I bought secondhand off eBay tomorrow morning Apart from that I don't expect to get much done this weekend on the tank at all as I have other things on along with work on Sunday. No peace for the wicked hey :o

Thanks for the update .... and you are well on your way ... nice that you managed to level the tank both ways .. not always easy to do ...

No ... no peace for the wicked ... you got that right

Albert

A Most Interesting Find by Scientists

Ancient Fossilized Brain: Arthropod Fossil Raises Questions

About Crustacean Evolution

© The Huffington Post | By Allie Compton

A tiny fossilized brain is causing a Big Stir in scientific circles.

Scientists recently found a remarkably well-preserved fossil of a three-inch Fuxianhuia, an early type of arthropod from China.

Arthropods are invertebrate animals like insects and crustaceans, and this one is a rare find that may upend a common theory regarding the evolution of modern

fossil.png

Link: http://tinyurl.com/9txar55

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Reef Snow by Brightwell Aquatics .... Competing with Marine Snow from Two Little Fishes

Readers:

I cannot find what I think is an objective review on Reef Snow by Brightwell Aquatics even though I have looked for it on many forums, including this one.

Everything I find appears to be rather subjective and anecdotal posts of using it for a while but no real reviews that point out its benefits, if any.

Does anyone who reads this use Reef Snow, and if so what has been your experience with it ?

Thanks

Albert

Feeding Your Candy Cane Coral : Video

© Don Hatland

Excellent demo of how to feed your Candy Cane if you own one and want to see how others do so.

Link to Video :

Albert

Cute pics of the Goby.

Yes he sure is cute and fun to watch as he swims around and then rests on just about anything he decides to rest on including all of the corals in my tank.

He is a "piece of work" for sure.

Here he is "hugging" the glass, so I call him Magnet .. :-)

citron1001.png

Albert

P.S. Have you figured out yet what your issues with your tanks may have been ?

P.S. Have you figured out yet what your issues with your tanks may have been ?

Not yet.

I am having a home repair on something next week that may possibly address the problem. I'll know better in a week or so.

Not yet.

I am having a home repair on something next week that may possibly address the problem. I'll know better in a week or so.

Well hopefully that will bring something put that may help solve the mystery you have been dealing with. I sure hope so for you Weetabix7

Albert

And Yes there are some Strange Fish Around ....

This one is rare and it is said near extinction ...

mexican-walking-fish.jpg

Watch a video of one feeding:

Link :

© usernamesleft, in his aquarium ...

It is a one year old Axolotl

And another Video by © Razer123 :

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

A rare Event : My Stomatella came out of hiding about an hour ago with all Lights On

This does not happen often as I rarely see my Stomatella.

All pics were enlarged so detail may be a bit fuzzy and some detail increased.

stom1.png

stom2.png

stom3.png

stom4.png

Albert