Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Hi Albert.

I have an Android phone.

I also use Photobucket.com, which pschom recommended on my thread, to store my pics and videos. I got the PhotoBucket app for my Android phone.

I upload the videos and photos directly to the web from my phone using the app.

I hope you are having a great afternoon. :)

The link to the iPhone app did not work but I'll find it in the App Store doing a Search

Looked at your Albums and I like this one a lot :

eitallentcitron.png

Albert

Well I'll go the foot of our stairs. :o

You got me there and my wife who is from near London does not know what it means either ...

Edited by albertthiel

New species of Sea Worm named after Yoda

© By Shane Graber - Oct 08, 2012

Due to the resemblance of Yoda's ears to the deep sea worms lips, researchers have named this new species Yoda purpurata.

yodap.png

Link : http://tinyurl.com/9xh8dmg

Albert

Hardly surprising as it is more a northern UK saying Albert look here.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/the-foo...our-stairs.html

Gee "what a surprise"

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
Well I would imagine that your tank as finished its cycle and that you can start adding CUC's to it but, as you say, you do not have any foodstuff for them yet, so that may be counterproductive as they will not have anything to feed on.

So I would add a few more flakes to the tank to keep the bacterial colony growing and alive, and then in a day or two, say by Monday, you should IMO be ready to add the CUC's, as I suspect that by then there will be diatoms and maybe some other growth that they can feed on.

Since the tank has only been set up for 6 days or so it may be a bit early to add anything to it. Of course you added that piece of seeded rock and that may have allowed bacterial growth to spread to the other plain rock that you added.

By waiting another day or two, and checking your levels and observing whether you have any diatoms etc .. you should be able to determine whether the time is right to add the CUC's.

Let me know how the tank is doing, say tomorrow afternoon and we'll go from there. If all goes well and after adding the additional flakes and if the ammonia and nitrite are still zero on Sunday afternoon, my guess is that the tank is ready for life forms.

Let me know tomorrow what you see and what your tests tell you .... thanks

Albert

Hey Albert,

So ive been testing the tank and just did again and still no trace of ammonia and no signs of any algae whatsoever

Safe to assume the cycle is complete? maybe i can transfer my corals and/or clownfish from my nano?

I was at the LFS looking around at lunch and explained the situation to the guy. He thinks the <1lb established rock i put in was not enough to start the cycle/seed the dry rock. He suggested i buy a cheap chromi to put in and add some waste/ammonia to the tank.

What do you think i should do? thanks

Hey Albert,

So ive been testing the tank and just did again and still no trace of ammonia and no signs of any algae whatsoever

Safe to assume the cycle is complete? maybe i can transfer my corals and/or clownfish from my nano?

I was at the LFS looking around at lunch and explained the situation to the guy. He thinks the <1lb established rock i put in was not enough to start the cycle/seed the dry rock. He suggested i buy a cheap chromi to put in and add some waste/ammonia to the tank.

What do you think i should do? thanks

I would transfer 1 fish if you have any or 1 coral and see how it reacts and if it does fine then transfer another one and test the water to makes sure that no ammonia develops but the food that you added that decayed should have added a large number of bacteria to the tank.

I would however not transfer all of the corals over in one go as that may be adding too much bioload to the tank in one time.

See what transferring just one or maybe two does ...

Keep me posted. Thanks

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
ok thanks Albert, ill transfer my clownfish now and see how it goes.

Yes that is what I think is the way to go and watch how they act ...

IMO all is ok but it is best not to transfer too much in one go ..

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Robo-clownfish, for the lazy reefkeeper near you

Your New Tank with Robotic Fish !

Maintaining a nice saltwater aquariums is hard work. You have to perform regular water changes, maintain the protein skimmer, pumps, heaters, regularly replace lights, make sure the temperature, pH, salinity, calcium, etc. are all within optimum ranges.

What if you could do away with all of that work? With Robo Fish you can - at least that is what one Japanese toymaker believes.

© By Shane Graber - And Advanced Aquarist - Oct 09, 2012

A Japanese toymaker thinks it has the solution for the lazy freshwater and saltwater aquarium keepers: robotic aquarium fish!

robotic.png

Link and Video : http://tinyurl.com/8vbthh4

Albert

= = = = = = = =

understood

Go for it and keep an eye on what goes on and let me know how it goes later on or tomorrow ...

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
Thanks for the links ... I see a lot of them indeed on that BB, and some Asterinas but I would not worry about those for now as their population tends to stabilize. If you feel you have too many you can always manually remove them. Looking good from what I can tell from those pictures.

Is there anything else you wanted to me to "see" ...

Albert

No, just wanted to show off :-)

R.

Vast Differences in Antarctic and Arctic Polar Ocean Microbial Communities Reported

© thelivingocean.net

The most comprehensive comparison of microbial diversity at both of Earth's polar oceans showed that about 75 percent of the organisms at each pole are different.

This insight sheds light on newly recognized biodiversity patterns and reinforces the importance of studying Earth's polar regions in the face of a changing climate.

And it highlights the need for further research on the impacts of sea ice, seasonal shifts and freshwater input in both regions.

And how this may affect other Oceans ... and Reefs

collecting.png

Link: http://tinyurl.com/9vkug65

Albert

Feeding Cyclop-eeze Video in a Nano Reef

Video of the Feeding of Corals and Fish ...

© krug1313

Link:

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Yuma Baby Update from last Night

Managed to catch a shot just after feeding the fish, while some food fell on the larger Yuma which started to close up in a vase like form .... ... and one of my Cat's was not making it easier this morning to work ...

Yuma close-up

yumabab1010.png

Rocket Helping out or trying to :-)

kattt.png

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Four New Species of Zoanthids Identified

© Leonard Ho - Oct 08, 2012 and © Advanced Aquarist

We may have four additional vectors for palytoxin.

Scientists from the University of the Ryukyus - with the help of Coral Morphologic - have identified four probable new zoanthid species in Florida via DNA analysis.

The finding is published in the Hindawi Journal of Marine Biology.

zoanew4.png

Link : http://tinyurl.com/9t66yv3

Albert

Brazilian Public Aquarium gets US funding, 700 US jobs Supported

© Leonard Ho - Oct 05, 2012 - & © Advanced Aquarist Magazine

The Export-Import Bank of the United States has approved a $105 million direct loan for the construction of the Acquario Aquarium in Fortaleza, Brazil

When completed, it will be the largest aquarium in the Southern Hemisphere and the third largest in the world.

The construction will support approximately 700 American jobs of which 90% are from small US businesses.

In a victory for American small business, the Export-Import Bank of the United States (Ex-Im Bank) has authorized a $105-million direct loan to the Brazilian state of Ceará to finance the export of American goods and services for the construction of a state-of-the-art aquarium in Fortaleza, Brazil.

brazilaqu.png

Link - http://tinyurl.com/8j7wf8s

Albert

Brazilian Public Aquarium gets US funding, 700 US jobs Supported

© Leonard Ho - Oct 05, 2012 - & © Advanced Aquarist Magazine

brazilaqu.png

Link - http://tinyurl.com/8j7wf8s

Albert

Very futuristic indeed Albert it will be good to see how it all develops.

Les

Very futuristic indeed Albert it will be good to see how it all develops.

Les

Yes indeed, and it seems that more and more large Public Aquariums are being built, as I posted in some earlier messages, a few in South East Asia and expansions of some of the European ones.

Hopefully more and more will have coral reef displays and not just sharks, whales and dolphins, but more displays of the type that house either local coral life forms and corals from other areas as well.

Not sure what is going on in England, except for all the changes to the Liverpool one as I have not seen much info on what is happening with the London Aquarium one, and other ones in other European Countries.

Hopefully they will start making major expansions and improvements as well.

Albert

Redfish Issue #15 ready for your Viewing

© Leonard Ho, Advanced Aquarist and Redfish Magazine - Oct 10, 2012

It's that time of the month again. Our aussie e-magazine friend Redfish has released their latest issue.

The September 2012 issue contains articles discussing planted tanks, Rotkeil cichlids, hawkfish, Plesiopidae, and part of of their editor's journey in reefkeeping.

redfishmag.png

Link - http://tinyurl.com/9xp2bsa

You can download your free copy via the posted link

Albert

Yes indeed, and it seems that more and more large Public Aquariums are being built, as I posted in some earlier messages, a few in South East Asia and expansions of some of the European ones.

Hopefully more and more will have coral reef displays and not just sharks, whales and dolphins, but more displays of the type that house either local coral life forms and corals from other areas as well.

Not sure what is going on in England, except for all the changes to the Liverpool one as I have not seen much info on what is happening with the London Aquarium one, and other ones in other European Countries.

Hopefully they will start making major expansions and improvements as well.

Albert

The problems with the London one is that being the first public aquarium in the world it is a listed building and so can not do so much with it under the law. Not sure you recall but most of the tanks are made of thick slate with just the front viewing panel in glass No concrete glass fibre or whatever there We do have a number of private aquariums like the Sea Zoo ones but most have little in the way of reef aquaria concentrating mainly on native marines with just a few tropical marines and then mostly fish only

Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO) Phosphate Binders

© Randy Holmes-Farley and reefkeeping.com

This article contains so much information on the +'s and -'s of using GFO that I am reposting it, and suggest that those who read the article focus on the sections on what else GFO removes, and what effect using too large a quantity can have on the life forms in the tank.

It is the section: What else might iron oxide hydroxide do? Biological effects

gfo.png

Link: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.php

Albert

The problems with the London one is that being the first public aquarium in the world it is a listed building and so can not do so much with it under the law. Not sure you recall but most of the tanks are made of thick slate with just the front viewing panel in glass No concrete glass fibre or whatever there We do have a number of private aquariums like the Sea Zoo ones but most have little in the way of reef aquaria concentrating mainly on native marines with just a few tropical marines and then mostly fish only

Yes I do remember what it looked like but I thought they had expanded it by doing something to that "bear" habitat on the outside so that they would have more space to add a more modern section, but then maybe they still cannot do it because it is a "Listed" or "Historical" building that cannot be modified ...

Pity ... but hopefully they'll figure out some way some day ... Not familiar with the Sea Zoo ones ... Don't think I ever went in one when I used to come to London ...

But thanks for the update Les ...

Albert