Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Here's the non-cookie cutter portion of Live Aquaria's reply.

Which is what I suspected and suggested all along. Apart from the colouration and markings the bodies are different along with the noses. My money was always on 2 different species and even one mimicking the other but that could just be a coincidence of course.

I understand, and there are quite a few hobbyists who obviously keep open top tanks, especially of course those who do not have known jumpers.

The "pelmet" should in your case solve the problem I would imagine, although some fish that want to jump seem to always find that little spot that allows them to get out anyway ... clever little fishes they are (unfortunately for those who lose fish because of it).

As to the merits of covers, I think that is one of those topics that if you ask 10 hobbyists you will get 11 different answers :-)

Personally I do not like them, especially not the glass ones, but I do like to European ledges built into tank that make it far more difficult for fish to get out as they fall on the ledge and slide back in the tank.

Glass covers, as some use, inhibit gas exchanges too much IMO, and as to the other types I guess that is going to be a matter of preference ... and a function of what fish are in the tank.

Eggcrate is another story and which probably does prevent fish from jumping out, but can look unsightly although I have seen tanks, with the black one on top, and it did not look that bad.

The question with those is: do they lower the amount of light that can get through and of course, some of the real tight mesh ones, may do so as well.

Maybe readers have contributions they want to make, and can tell us how they feel about covers and the various types used.

Albert

Yes Albert agree with all of that. Just a few points to add.

1/ Egg crate will indeed cut down light as it must do whether it is enough to make a difference to your corals is debatable

2/ Some fish like firefish may well be able to jump through the holes in egg crate and if ones does it will most likely lay on top of the egg crate and succumb.

3/ IMO cover glasses are definitely a no no due to allowing poor gas exchange, keeping heat in and become encrusted in salt and calcium and need constant cleaning

Les.

Acropora sirikitiae: A newly described species

© By Leonard Ho - Posted Oct 09, 2012 and Advanced Aquarist

A new species of staghorn coral is now officially described as Acropora sirikitiae. A.sirikitiae is found in western Thailand's reef.

Also, at least five species formerly of the genus Acropora have been reclassified under the genus Isopora.

acrosirik.png

Link: http://tinyurl.com/9lytd2a

Albert

- - - - - - - -

1/ Egg crate will indeed cut down light as it must do whether it is enough to make a difference to your corals is debatable

2/ Some fish like firefish may well be able to jump through the holes in egg crate and if ones does it will most likely lay on top of the egg crate and succumb.

3/ IMO cover glasses are definitely a no no due to allowing poor gas exchange, keeping heat in and become encrusted in salt and calcium and need constant cleaning

Les.

No argument with any of that Les ... good points indeed but as I said, ask 10 Hobs and you will get a lot of different answers :-)

I do agree though that in some cases one is needed as you pointed out ...

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Les.

Custom sized tank covers that allow gas exchange and prevent fish from jumping out can easily & cheaply be made with a windowscreen kit from a hardware store and bird netting, which is used in landscaping.

It's so easy to make that my 5yo helped me make mine and I had no previous experience. Not sure where I have my pics of it now, but info on it can easily be googled.

Custom sized tank covers that allow gas exchange and prevent fish from jumping out can easily & cheaply be made with a windowscreen kit from a hardware store and bird netting, which is used in landscaping.

It's so easy to make that my 5yo helped me make mine and I had no previous experience. Not sure where I have my pics of it now, but info on it can easily be googled.

Yes they can indeed ... and there are plenty of DIY posts on various forums and on the Net on how to do it, and I believe one can buy all the parts for very little at one of the Big Box Stores as Ben pointed out on another thread I believe yesterday or the day before.

The question though remains does everyone need one or only those who have fish that are know "jumpers", and what size mesh is best to use: tight square or shapes, or larger ones ... not sure what is best as I do not use them.

Thanks for the post Weetabix7.

Albert

Forgot to ask eitallent, what did you use to recored the video ... I have tried few times with my iPhone but do not seem to have too much luck, so wondering what you used ?

Albert

Hi Albert.

I have an Android phone.

I also use Photobucket.com, which pschom recommended on my thread, to store my pics and videos. I got the PhotoBucket app for my Android phone.

I upload the videos and photos directly to the web from my phone using the app.

This is the link to my Photobucket album where all my pictures and videos are viewable.

I know you use your own domain to post your pictures. However, you may want to sign up for a free Photobucket account just for your videos. The iPhone app is free too. Here is the link for the iPhone app for Photobucket in the iTunes store.

I hope you are having a great afternoon. :)

The question though remains does everyone need one or only those who have fish that are know "jumpers", and what size mesh is best to use: tight square or shapes, or larger ones ... not sure what is best as I do not use them.

Thanks for the post Weetabix7.

Albert

IMO its quite simple (not so) really, the amount of light reduction (and I can assure you there is) is not easy to calculate. However the shading created is the total sum of the thickness (area facing the light) of the material used x the number which will give you a square area EG lets take egg crate and.let say the thickness of the plastic making up the squares is 2mm thick and the squares are 10mm Now somebody far better than me who can do the maths :P You will also need the total square area the egg crate is covering, Lets say a 40cm square section over the tank :lol: But I think you should be able to see where I am coming from. :huh:

jedimasterben
IMO its quite simple (not so) really, the amount of light reduction (and I can assure you there is) is not easy to calculate. However the shading created is the total sum of the thickness (area facing the light) of the material used x the number which will give you a square area EG lets take egg crate and.let say the thickness of the plastic making up the squares is 2mm thick and the squares are 10mm Now somebody far better than me who can do the maths :P You will also need the total square area the egg crate is covering, Lets say a 40cm square section over the tank :lol: But I think you should be able to see where I am coming from. :huh:

I just use a 1/2" mesh I got from the hardware store with the frame of a window screen. Painted it black, the netting is black, no one can tell that it is on my tank unless they are looking for it. :)

I just use a 1/2" mesh I got from the hardware store with the frame of a window screen. Painted it black, the netting is black, no one can tell that it is on my tank unless they are looking for it. :)

Harr but did you ask your corals Ben :lol:

Like I said in my first post it is debatable just how much the amount of light reduction such covers will have but there can be no denying screening will reduce light getting to the corals The question is just a matter of how much it will reduce and to be honest the fact you or anybody else can't see any difference is not the point I am trying to make

Also remember corals see light quite differently than we do which may also come into play. What looks bright to us its necessary bright to our corals but I am sure you know this already. In most case I would guess there is little to worry about that is unless of course your tank lighting is dithering on the edge of your corals light acceptance. :o

Les.

Quick update on the Yuma Babies ... Maybe more than just One, and a Number of other Pics

Pictures of Yumas taken with iPhone and greatly enlarged so sorry for the loss of focus.

And a Pic of the Cabbage Coral getting a little too much flow due to moving some LR around, will have to fix that as it is not vase looking but the front is pushed towards the back of the top of it.

The Fire and Ice (Maria's) looking good can be seen below as well.

yumabab11009.png

yumaaab21009.png

yumabab31009.png

fireice11009.png

cabbflow.png

And on another note : The large Pineapple sponge broke off a large piece as I was watching the tank when a snail decided to crawl on it. So now there is like a 1/8 inch piece left on the rock with the Zoas, with a hole in the middle ! Odd .. I wonder whether it will regrow, not that I want it to but it will be interesting to see whether it actually does.

Here is what it looks like now :

spongehole.png

I fished the broken off piece out with difficulty because of where it landed at the bottom, but managed to get it to stick to the end of my Baster and gently lifted it out.

And for eittallent who likes Citron Gobies (but I am sure many of you do too ...)

citron1009.png

Also did a PO4 test using PhosBuster Pro and using 8 oz of aquarium water and 1.5 capfuls of the product (which powers of ten more than what the label says) to make sure I got all the PO4 out of the water here is what the amount of floc that developed is ... hardly anything meaning phosphate is very close to zero ppm and definitely lower than 0.01 ppm.

po4_.png

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
jedimasterben

Like I said in my first post it is debatable just how much the amount of light reduction such covers will have but there can be no denying screening will reduce light getting to the corals The question is just a matter of how much it will reduce and to be honest the fact you or anybody else can't see any difference is not the point I am trying to make

Also remember corals see light quite differently than we do which may also come into play. What looks bright to us its necessary bright to our corals but I am sure you know this already. In most case I would guess there is little to worry about that is unless of course your tank lighting is dithering on the edge of your corals light acceptance. :o

Les.

Of course, but the netting I use has 1/2" holes, and the actual mesh material is maybe 0.5-1mm thick, so to say it blocks even 1% of the light from above it is doing it a favor. ;)

0612524.jpg

Hi Albert.

I have an Android phone.

I also use Photobucket.com, which pschom recommended on my thread, to store my pics and videos. I got the PhotoBucket app for my Android phone.

I upload the videos and photos directly to the web from my phone using the app.

This is the link to my Photobucket album where all my pictures and videos are viewable.

I know you use your own domain to post your pictures. However, you may want to sign up for a free Photobucket account just for your videos. The iPhone app is free too. Here is the link for the iPhone app for Photobucket in the iTunes store.

I hope you are having a great afternoon. :)

Thanks eitallent ... I am going to try and figure "Photobucket" out .. I looked at it once before, but not being a video expert, far from it, I'll have to figure out how to use it directly from my iPhone, but after I read up on it a bit and download the iPhone app it may be a lot simpler than I am thinking ..

And yes I use my own domain right now and have 50 Gig of space on it so plenty of room to keep uploading to it as I think that with all of the pictures I have posted that are on that server I have used around 9 Gig.

Thanks for the details ... I appreciate it

Albert

Of course, but the netting I use has 1/2" holes, and the actual mesh material is maybe 0.5-1mm thick, so to say it blocks even 1% of the light from above it is doing it a favor. ;)

0612524.jpg

Well you are lucky if light reduction is doing it favour as most are tying to increase it :o However of all the material that can be used to cover a tank and stop jumpers That would be one of the best providing something like a firefish didn't try to jump through it and get caught by the gills We have seen such with fishermen's nets that have caught fish in such a way. Small risk but the risk is there. BTW the centre of those look as if they cover a much wider area than the rest.

Edited by atoll
jedimasterben
Well you are lucky if light reduction is doing it favour as most are tying to increase it :o However of all the material that can be used to cover a tank and stop jumpers That would be one of the best providing something like a firefish didn't try to jump through it and get caught by the gills We have seen such with fishermen's nets that have caught fish in such a way. Small risk but the risk is there. BTW the centre of those look as if they cover a much wider area than the rest.

I know, smaller fish can still get caught by the gills. I'm looking to replace the 1/2" with 1/4", it should prove more difficult for that to happen, just in case. My firefish has never tried to jump, not even when the top was open, it isn't spooked by anything it seems.

And that pic is actually not of the mesh I used, but the closest I can come to it without taking a pic myself. I have some of that mesh, too, and it is much thicker than what I have now (as it is a hard plastic mesh, I have a nylon-type netting).

Les.

Les I am not jumping in on this one ... remember many will have many different opinions and solutions ...

BUT the reason for this post is: HARR ... I have come across a lot of acronyms but don't think this is one and if it is an idiomatic English expression I am not familiar with it .... but I am sure you can educate me on its meaning : - )

Albert

The ‘Weedy Sea Dragon’

© thelivingocean.net

weedysea.png

The Weedy Sea Dragon, one of the most beautiful creatures in the sea, is usually seen by divers in the waters off southern Australia; however, little is known about this fascinating marine species with a remarkable reproductive behaviour.

Weedy Sea Dragons, known to science as Phyllopteryx taeniolatus, are fish related to the Leafy Sea Dragons (Phycodurus eques) and to the Seahorses (Hippocampus).

Sea dragons’ distribution is restricted to Australian temperate marine waters, ranging from the central New South Wales coast, around the south coast of Australia, to the southern coast of Western Australia. They are also found around the coast of Tasmania.

Link to article, pictures and a Video: http://tinyurl.com/8g7oe2e

Albert

Les I am not jumping in on this one ... remember many will have many different opinions and solutions ...

BUT the reason for this post is: HARR ... I have come across a lot of acronyms but don't think this is one and if it is an idiomatic English expression I am not familiar with it .... but I am sure you can educate me on its meaning : - )

Albert

Not sure it is or not Albert but it is often used here as a kind of substitute for "but" I guess it may well be a UK thing then. I often forget the language differences and even meaning between similar but not identical language which often causes confusion, bewilderment and misunderstandings I guess that's just something we just have to learn with. Harr is certainly not used in an offensive way it's more light hearted and jovial than anything.

Les

Not sure it is or not Albert but it is often used here as a kind of substitute for "but" I guess it may well be a UK thing then. I often forget the language differences and even meaning between similar but not identical language which often causes confusion, bewilderment and misunderstandings I guess that's just something we just have to learn with. Harr is certainly not used in an offensive way it's more light hearted and jovial than anything.

Les

Harr ... I got it now ... and yes although US and UK English are supposed to be the same languages they are indeed quite a few expressions used in the respective countries that may seem confusing to the other one ...

Lift and elevator

Lorry and truck

cigarette here and you know what they call them in the UK

and so on

Thanks for clarifying .. :-)

Albert

DOH! .....Harr is that another UK acro and I don't mean the coral :lol:

Doh

Interj.

a) A Gen-X colloquialism conveying an overall feeling of frustration.

B) Used to express a feeling one has after realizing they have been tricked, misled, scammed, swindled, etc..

c) Used to boast or chide the victim of such tomfoolery

d) Coined by the animated sitcom character Homer Simpson in the mid to late eighties, "Doh" is similar to other one word, one syllable explicatives in that it is a quick and succinct summary of one's aggravation, but differs in that it was an accepted substitute to similarly censored words.

Albert

Harr ... I got it now ... and yes although US and UK English are supposed to be the same languages they are indeed quite a few expressions used in the respective countries that may seem confusing to the other one ...

Lift and elevator

Lorry and truck

cigarette here and you know what they call them in the UK

and so on

Thanks for clarifying .. :-)

Albert

Albert to make it even more confusing there are also many UK regional sayings and acronyms .

Doh

Interj.

a) A Gen-X colloquialism conveying an overall feeling of frustration.

B) Used to express a feeling one has after realizing they have been tricked, misled, scammed, swindled, etc..

c) Used to boast or chide the victim of such tomfoolery

d) Coined by the animated sitcom character Homer Simpson in the mid to late eighties, "Doh" is similar to other one word, one syllable explicatives in that it is a quick and succinct summary of one's aggravation, but differs in that it was an accepted substitute to similarly censored words.

Albert

Only thing I have to say about the above is ....... Harr.....DOH! :P

Albert to make it even more confusing there are also many UK regional sayings and acronyms .

Only thing I have to say about the above is ....... Harr.....DOH! :P

I guess you'll have to start using some of those in your posts so we can wonder what they actually mean ... or search on the Net for a meaning ...

Albert

I guess you'll have to start using some of those in your posts so we can wonder what they actually mean ... or search on the Net for a meaning ...

Albert

Well I'll go the foot of our stairs. :o