Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

HGTV to air special: "Ultimate Aquariums"

© Leonard Ho - Oct 01, 2012 and Advanced Aquarist Magazine

Cable television network HGTV will premiere an one hour special on October 12, 2012 titled "Ultimate Aquariums."

The new show will feature concept, design, and install of high-end custom installations built for "celebrities and the wealthy."

hgtv.png

Link: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/hgtv-...imate-aquariums

Albert

Feeding Cyclop-eeze Video in a Nano Reef

Video of the Feeding of Corals and Fish ...

© krug1313

Link:

Albert

Albert, I have tried quite a few foods for both corals and fish over the years. One I hadn't tried was frozen cyclopeeze, that is until two days ago. I have never seen a response from fish and corals quite like this, ever!

I also feed Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast (fresh oyster eggs) once and a while with good results but the cyclopeeze is simply amazing. It is a bit more expensive but it goes a long way in a nano tank.

I highly recommend this stuff for fish and corals. It is quite small in size so it works well for small fish and LPS/SPS corals. I would feed it twice a week as part of an overall daily feeding regimen. Watch your fish colour up!

Nutrition Report Cyclopeeze

Edited by NanoTopia
Albert, I have tried quite a few foods for both corals and fish over the years. One I hadn't tried was frozen cyclopeeze, that is until two days ago. I have never seen a response from fish and corals quite like this, ever!

I also feed Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast (fresh oyster eggs) once and a while with good results but the cyclopeeze is simply amazing. It is a bit more expensive but it goes a long way in a nano tank.

I highly recommend this stuff for fish and corals. It is quite small in size so it works well for small fish and LPS/SPS corals. I would feed it twice a week as part of an overall daily feeding regimen. Watch your fish colour up!

Nutrition Report Cyclopeeze

NanoTopia:

That is my experience as well, Fish go wild when the Cyclop-eeze (I use the long frozen stick called Freezer Bar that is privately labeled for Pure Reef my LFS) is fed, even when the lights are out, and the corals have their tentacles extended.

The only concern is that it is very high in Fatty Acids, and some say that over time if the fish eat too much of it it may lead to issues with their health, but I have not seen any technical papers stating that fact.

The Nutrition analysis does show however that the Fatty Acid content is very high ... I have been looking for articles on the effect of feeding it to fish too much, but have not found anything yet that confirms that it can be detrimental. It is something to keep in mind though.

As to the corals ... great food indeed. Thanks for confirming what I have seen myself in my tank, and how soon after the small particles get captured by the corals how they react to the food that they have just gotten hold off and how it keeps them nice and healthy.

The reddish color of the carotenoid like substance is actually, according to some sources, extracted from a shrimp from the Arctic regions. If you Google "astaxanthin" and open the Wikipedia link you get a lengthy description of what it is and where it comes from (and I had a near shock when I read that 1 kg of it sells for $5K and more).

But to get back to your point: Great food indeed. Personally I alternate it with other foods, and Mysis for my Banggai, and Pellets for the other fish and some Spirulina which my Citron Goby seems to like a lot, besides everything else, as he is a "pig"!

Albert

Yes I do remember what it looked like but I thought they had expanded it by doing something to that "bear" habitat on the outside so that they would have more space to add a more modern section, but then maybe they still cannot do it because it is a "Listed" or "Historical" building that cannot be modified ...

Pity ... but hopefully they'll figure out some way some day ... Not familiar with the Sea Zoo ones ... Don't think I ever went in one when I used to come to London ...

But thanks for the update Les ...

Albert

Link to the London Zoo webte Albert.

http://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/exhibits/aquarium/

Some Pictures from Sissy McAvoy's Albums: Fish and Corals

© Sissy McAvoy and owners of the Photos

Sone really interesting ones, including a Sea Apple

sam.png

sam1.png

sam2.png

sam3.png

sam4.png

sam5.png

sam6.png

Link : http://www.facebook.com/sissy.mcavoy/photos

Albert

Albert, just a word of warning regarding Sea Apples IMO they are a no no in our tanks I have read a number of reports of them poisoning aquariums as the are highly toxic and can expel their innards when stressed along their poison. I am surprised some shops till stock them but not so many in the UK anymore. They used to be quite common but for the reasons stated no so much now days.

An article by Rob Toonen written some years ago.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/3/inverts

Les.

Bioeroding Sponges Are Threatening Coral Reefs

© sciencedaily.com

bioeroding%20sponge%20Cliona%20orientalis.png

ScienceDaily (Sep. 19, 2012) — Due to the massive production of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide, our oceans are becoming increasingly acidic.

Scientists of Senckenberg am Meer in Wilhelmshaven studied the consequences of ocean acidification on sponges that bore into calcareous materials such as coral skeletons.

Results show that these sponges will profit from global changes, while coral reefs are threatened in their survival.

Link : http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/...20919082924.htm

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
Albert, just a word of warning regarding Sea Apples IMO they are a no no in our tanks I have read a number of reports of them poisoning aquariums as the are highly toxic and can expel their innards when stressed along their poison. I am surprised some shops till stock them but not so many in the UK anymore. They used to be quite common but for the reasons stated no so much now days.

An article by Rob Toonen written some years ago.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/3/inverts

Les.

I fully agree and I have not seen them around here in the US either at least not widely.

Not for our Nano or Reef tanks for sure as when they die as you indicate they can cause a wipe-out especially in small aquariums

Would not put one in my tank that is for sure. Thanks for posting the link so others can read up on them too if they are not familiar with the dangers of keeping them.

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Aquarium Chemistry: Effects of GFO (Granular Ferric Oxide) on 'Trace'

Metals Concentrations in Artificial Seawater

© Dana Riddle and Advanced Aquarist Magazine - Feb 2012

Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO) is popular among reef hobbyists as a means to decrease phosphate levels and subsequently algal growth in their tanks.

GFO, however, can also affect other ions and compound levels as well. In this article, Dana investigates the effect that GFO has on our tanks outside of decreasing phosphate levels.

With lots of graphs showing the effect of GFO on a number of Metals and other compounds charted over a time-line

Link: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/2/chemistry

Albert

MASNA creates Gary Meadows Memorial Reef

And rightfully so ! I knew them well ...

© Advanced Aquarist Magazine and Steven Pro

MASNA, in conjunction with the Coral Restoration Foundation, creates the memorial reef in memory of the late Gary Meadows at this year's DFW-MACNA.

Some of you may recognize who is between the two :-)

meadows.png

Link: http://tinyurl.com/8ccfoom

Albert

MASNA creates Gary Meadows Memorial Reef

And rightfully so ! I knew them well ...

© Advanced Aquarist Magazine and Steven Pro

Some of you may recognize who is between the two :-)

meadows.png

Link: http://tinyurl.com/8ccfoom

Albert

Ermmm got it ........its George Bush Snr right? :lol:

Ermmm got it ........its George Bush Snr right? :lol:

(sic) Harr

Yes, ... close .... try again Partner !

Can't remember where the pic was taken though ... long ago as they say .. could have been in Indiana or at one of the Conferences. Not sure.

Albert

The Molly Miller Blenny - Not Your Prettiest Fish by any Stretch of the Imagination

© Kenneth Wingerter 7 Advanced Aquarist Magazine - (9/2012)

By most standards, the Molly Miller blenny is a spectacularly ugly little fish. Whatever it lacks in physical attractiveness, however, is more than remunerated with character.

Scartella%20cristata.png

Scartella%20cristata2.png

Link: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/9/fish

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

The Clipperton Angel -- Holocanthus limbaughi

Apparantly these fish from Clipperton Island (map image below) are illegal to import in the US unless permission has been obtained from the French Authorities who rule that Island, and all necessary paperwork is in order and accepted by Fish and Wildlife Authorities.

Steve Robinson, the famous collector, may face a huge fine for having brought 40+ of them in via Mexico in 2009. He may face up to $ 100K in fines.

These fish are reported to fetch $10,000 a piece, that is if one can find one for sale, and the sale being legal.

ClippertonAngel.png

clippertonisland.png

© Brian Blank and reef builders.com

Read more here: http://reefbuilders.com/2011/08/19/clipperton-angelfish

Albert

Tubastrea micrantha, the Black Sun, is the most majestic Azoox coral

© Joost de Vries and reefbuilders.com (10/2012)

Tubastrea micrantha, often referred to as the black sun coral is a really cool species of azoox LPS coral. Stunning bushy growth forms, black color, and large often fluorescent green polyps really make the black sun coral like something you wouldn’t see anywhere else.

Relatively easy to keep in perspective to many other azoox corals, Tubastrea micrantha is non-photosyntehtic and does require frequent feeding of meaty foods.

Unlike other sun corals, the black sun coral also is more light sensitive and prefers higher flow rates.

tubastreablack.png

Read more: http://reefbuilders.com/2012/10/10/tubastr.../#ixzz28vnz6LYa

Albert

AcroPower is a new amino acid supplement to turbocharge stony coral growth

© Jake Adams - (10/2012) and Two Little Fishes

AcroPower is a new amino acid supplement from Two Little Fishes which is designed to juice coral colors and growth.

Stony corals seem to derive special benefit from the addition of various amino acids which are quickly incorporated into the aragonite skeleton.

The development of aquarium amino acid additive like AcroPower is partially based on a scientific paper called Biosynthesis of ‘essential’ amino acids by scleractinian corals authored by Drs. Lisa Fitzgerald and Allina Szmant which identified which amino acids could be synthesized by corals to meet all of their needs, only part of their needs, or could not be synthesized by the corals at all.

acropower.png

Read more: http://reefbuilders.com/2012/10/09/acropow.../#ixzz28vqemRbO

or: http://reefbuilders.com/2012/10/09/acropower-amino-acid/

Albert

Citron and Yuma this afternoon ....

The Citron is really something else, here you can see him kind of inside my Ricordea florida, and the Yuma Pic gives you an idea of how large they get in the afternoon ... the mushroom next to it is 1 inch or close to it.

Citron Pic is out of focus as I cannot get close or he swims away so I have to enlarge the pic on my iPhone with the slidebar but that makes it loose focus unfortunately.

citron1010.png

yuma1010.png

Albert

Mangrove Forest Decline and its Effect on Coral Reefs

© Lucaya Luckey-Bethany and secoora.org

Based on the interview with Dr. Pamela Hallock-Muller.

With several internal links that lead to more information about the Study

Link: http://tinyurl.com/8d7qlcu

Albert

Phenols, how dangerous they are for a seawater aquarium ?

© reefdreams.de

In the sea water aquarium, apart from the inorganic eliminations of the fish and lower animals (e.g. ammonium, phosphate), also organic waste is produced. The firm components (excrement, alga remainders, food) are held back in mechanical filter.

However, they are also converted by bacteria. Compounds arise, which ones can biologically be decomposed not or only very slowly and difficultly. These substances are coloured partly yellowish.

phenols.png

Link: http://reefdreams.de/lang_eng/info_12_eng.html

Albert

Albert real nice job I like the fts. Corals are ideal. That spectrum light is very hard to prevent algae from growing under but you've pulled it off, not a strand in sight really nice and super clean.

Albert real nice job I like the fts. Corals are ideal. That spectrum light is very hard to prevent algae from growing under but you've pulled it off, not a strand in sight really nice and super clean.

Thanks Brandon, I appreciate the kind words, and " yes " those 2 CFT's rated at 6500K, and 100 watt equivalent, do give off a lot of light indeed. I use the Ecosmart 23 watt ones, which I got at Lowe's (Home Depot only had the 5000K ones).

I also used to have a blue LED (3 watt) over the tank for maybe about a week or so, but I took that off upon " Ben's " recommendation, as he stated in a post that just 1 of those Blue's would not do anything for the corals, apart from showing some blue hues, here and there, on some of the rocks, which is what it did and I did not really see any difference in the corals.

I was able to return it to the LFS for credit fortunately, not that it was very expensive ($50) but, nevertheless it was nice to be able to use the credit for compounds I needed, like GAC and GFO and some Poly Filters which I use also in my HOB filter, and also some Floss (I posted a message a few days ago about a real " dense" polyester one I found, made by [b" ]Blue Ribbon "[/b], far denser than the one I had before made by Accurel if I remember correctly.

The nice thing about those CFT's (CFL's) though, is also that they do not heat up the water, even though one of them is very close to the water surface ... ... also what is interesting is that even when water hits them (spray from bursting air bubbles at the top of the water) these bulbs do not shatter but just accumulate some dried salt, so I just clean them from time to time.

Of course, I do not really have any corals in there that need a different type of spectrum, e.g. Acropora and the like, so that helps too, as it allows me to keep those Lights for now, till I add more corals, but I think that before I do that, I will change tanks to one that is wider, as those 20 G High's are so narrow that it is hard to place other corals in there, given what I already have on the substrate.

In hindsight I should have gotten a 20 Long, or a larger tank, maybe a 40 G Breeder.

Guess when I am ready for that I'll make the change, and then get rid of all the sand ... I took a good portion out of the tank already, as it is hard to keep clean narrow as the tank is, and use a siphon to suck up the detritus that accumulates without disturbing the corals that are there now.

Again thanks ...

BTW what did you think of those " Clipperton Angels " ... some beautiful fish indeed, and if the price that is listed ( 10 Grand ) is actually what one has to pay for one, I guess I won't be getting one of those for sure, even if I had a FOWLR set up!

Of course Fish and Wildlife may have exaggerated the retail price of them .. not sure, as I have not found any for sale anywhere, and I am actually not too sure there are any around here in the US, although there may be a few that someone manages to smuggle to the " Asian Markets " where, it seems, collectors of rare species will pay just about anything for those type of fish.

In fact, I happened to read a story not too long ago where a collector from Hong Kong, paid over 10 K for a very rare Super Red Arowana ...

arowana.png

But then in Asia a lot of fish seem to fetch real high prices, especially the not so common ones, so that was no surprise to me.

Again thanks. And how are your Pico, and your other tanks doing ... post some updates here when you have a movement ... Thanks.

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
I like this, great pic.

Thanks Weetabix7, I appreciate it ... see my comments on the tank and on the lighting etc ... in my reply to Brandon ...

So when are YOU getting ready to get back into it ? Soon I hope as the tanks you kept looked soooo good!

I know you will at some point, it's just a matter of time, you have the " bug " like we all do :-)

And if you find some more nice pics of your previous tanks, do post them please. I posted quite a few but I am sure you have many manny more showing some of those great corals and fish you kept....

Thanks

Albert