Coral Vue Hydros

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I know how you feel Weetabix7 ... After having set up the 20 High with HOB stuff now I regret it as I am now dealing with the constraints that a tall and narrow tank brings about ....

I should have gone for a long and a little wider tank, and drilled it and added a sump etc ...

But I just can't see me starting all over again and spending a bunch on getting everything that would be needed.

Being retired does have its drawbacks .... oh well we'll make the best of the 20 H and maybe down the line get a hang-on overflow and a sump ... I actually have one but it is of the old type and small so I am not sure I can use that one ...

Thanks for the comments and I agree that those Tunze wave boxes are indeed something I can understand you would want.

Thanks for the post

Albert

I have a tendency to come across good deals and accumulate odd stuff at times. I have family in Atlanta and for the last 2 yrs we have been having a Family Reunion there over New Years. Who knows, maybe this year I will be able to meet up w/you at that time and help you out w/some stuff. No promises, but that would be cool, huh? At the moment I just have odds and ends, but I'll keep an eye out for stuff for you.

Also, if you're willing to try a little creative DIY, you'd be amazed what you can do on a budget.

Check out this filter I built as an example: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=238317

Thanks Albert!

Mr. Saltwater Tank TV has a great method of removing hard to get bubble algae. Check him out! Have you seen his site? I really like him, he's funny and always has great little tips even for the reef veterans, imo.

http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/

Thanks for reminding me Mark, and I think I actually posted that video on the thread a few days ago ... ... See what old age does to me :-)

I'll have to check it again and get the right kind of siphon and knife/scalpel I need to get them out.

I actually watched it and he has 4 methods if I remember correctly ... and yes he can be funny indeed.

Thanks ... I appreciate it

Albert

I have a tendency to come across good deals and accumulate odd stuff at times. I have family in Atlanta and for the last 2 yrs we have been having a Family Reunion there over New Years. Who knows, maybe this year I will be able to meet up w/you at that time and help you out w/some stuff. No promises, but that would be cool, huh? At the moment I just have odds and ends, but I'll keep an eye out for stuff for you.

Also, if you're willing to try a little creative DIY, you'd be amazed what you can do on a budget.

Check out this filter I built as an example: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=238317

I took a look at that DIY job you did ... wow that was super and "clever" and inexpensive to boot ... Congrats on that one. I left a note on that thread as well.

Oh and I live in Alpharetta by McGinnis Ferry and Windward Parkway so if you do come down make sure you let me know, and yes we'll try to meet up. That would be nice indeed.

And if you do run into something interesting do let me know ... thanks for offering to do so ... I appreciate it Weetabix7.

Thanks

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
I'm assuming it works like a Carlson surge device, right?

Nope Ben I don't think it does in fact the wave box works like no other as far as I am aware, however there are some copies about. The Tunze wave box and nano wave box work by drawing water into it and pushing it out very fast and move the whole body of water unike any powerhead. You have to fine tune the wave box to your particular tank using the controller provided. Here is a video of it being demonstrated.

and a few more of it working on reef tanks.

There are plenty more vids of course.

Edited by atoll

AquaScapers Miami 2 Pics

© AquaScapers Miami and their owners

They have already announced that they will be at the 2013 MACNA with a very large selection of corals, frags, fish and the like, so I am passing the information on ... (note that I am not associated with them). Of course they will only be one of many, many who will be present there.

I will probably try to attend that one since I was not able to go to the DFW one, and have not been to a MACNA conference for quite some time.

as.png

as1.png

Link : http://www.facebook.com/aquascapersmiami

Albert

A DIY Refugium Project by Weetabix7

Great way to make one and very inexpensive too.

Link on Nano Reef:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2860907

Very well done and very inexpensive too !

Thanks for letting me know Weetabix7 so I could post the link (as a separate entry)

Albert

Wow, thanks!!!

I'm a complete noob when it comes to plumbing and sumps 'n stuff, but this little project was on my level and was something I really enjoyed doing. It looks really messy where things were glued on, but that was mostly cause I ended up having to use superglue instead of silicone.

I love trying to think outside the box and look at common things around us to find new and practical ways to use them in our tanks.

jedimasterben
Nope Ben I don't think it does in fact the wave box works like no other as far as I am aware, however there are some copies about. The Tunze wave box and nano wave box work by drawing water into it and pushing it out very fast and move the whole body of water unike any powerhead. You have to fine tune the wave box to your particular tank using the controller provided. Here is a video of it being demonstrated.

and a few more of it working on reef tanks.

There are plenty more vids of course.

If it draws water in and then releases it, it's a Carlson surge device, as that's exactly what one does. It's just modified to fit in-tank and probably has a flow spin-thing (kinda like what a Hydor Flo does). I'm back at work again so I don't have access to Youtube again :lol:.

It looks pretty badass, but the fact that it takes up a lot of space in the tank is what kills it for me, and I don't think the nano version would work out for me. Plus, it's still very expensive.

If it draws water in and then releases it, it's a Carlson surge device, as that's exactly what one does. It's just modified to fit in-tank and probably has a flow spin-thing (kinda like what a Hydor Flo does). I'm back at work again so I don't have access to Youtube again :lol:.

It looks pretty badass, but the fact that it takes up a lot of space in the tank is what kills it for me, and I don't think the nano version would work out for me. Plus, it's still very expensive.

Sorry Ben that is not my understanding at all of the Carlson device. Forgive me if I am wrong but doesn't the Carlson sit above the water and water is pumped up into it? My understand is that when it fills it then empties via a syphon until the syphon breaks and the whole process starts again is that more or less how it works? If so you should see that the Tunze 6206 nano wave box as with the larger version works in a totally different fashion and hardly in the way the Carlson device does if I have it about right.

There is no syphon at all on the Tunze wave box and the while things works at a far faster rate sucking and pumping water via its pump and very quickly. When I had mine it did so in less than a second a cycle to create the waves plus you also have to tune the Tunze to the size of tank its being used on. I am sure Carlson himself would have something to say on it.

Like I say if I am wrong about the Carlson device and how it works then I stand corrected. Yes it is expensive but the nano version is very slim and not that much bigger than many internal power filters. I also found it not so difficult to hide in my Betta Lifespace but its not so good for tanks less than 30 gallons I would guess. I undersatnd it may not be to your liking etc but having used one I can tell you its a great piece of kit but not for everyone.

More info.

http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&amp...=-infoxunter016

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?r...ved=0CDgQ8wIwBA

Edited by atoll
Wow, thanks!!!

I'm a complete noob when it comes to plumbing and sumps 'n stuff, but this little project was on my level and was something I really enjoyed doing. It looks really messy where things were glued on, but that was mostly cause I ended up having to use superglue instead of silicone.

I love trying to think outside the box and look at common things around us to find new and practical ways to use them in our tanks.

I understand that it was a little project you tried, and that seems to have worked pretty well for you from what I can see, and there may be others who want to set up a simple DIY refugium, and the one you built should do the trick for those who do not want to go for full fledged ones.

Nice work done ...

I also find that often what we need for our tanks can be found in other industries and for a lot less. So looking around and as you say thinking outside of the box frequently brings up pieces we can use for our aquariums.

Just taking a walk around Home Depot or Walmart we see often pieces or products intended for non-aquarium use that can be adapted or combined to make what we need for our tanks.

So thanks for the details of the project ... I appreciate it.

Albert

DIY Carlson Surge Device Links for those Interested

http://reefbuilders.com/forums/diy-project...rge-device.html

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/vi...on-surge-device

And one by Bruce Carlson himself, Director of the Waikiki Aquarium

http://www.aquarium-design.com/reef/csm.html

Albert

The Borneman Surge Device DIY Explained

© Eric Borneman

Link: http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/surge_device.html

With pictures, illustrations and explanations on the parts that are needed

Albert

jedimasterben
Sorry Ben that is not my understanding at all of the Carlson device. Forgive me if I am wrong but doesn't the Carlson sit above the water and water is pumped up into it? My understand is that when it fills it then empties via a syphon until the syphon breaks and the whole process starts again is that more or less how it works? If so you should see that the Tunze 6206 nano wave box as with the larger version works in a totally different fashion and hardly in the way the Carlson device does if I have it aboiut right.

There is no syphon at all on the Tunze wave box and the while things works at a far faster rate sucking and pumping water via its pump and very quickly. When I had mine it did so in less than a second a cycle to create the waves plus you also have to tune the Tunze to the size of tank its being used on. I am sure Carlson himself would have something to say on it.

Like I say if I am wrong about the Carlson device and how it works then I stand corrected. Yes it is expensive but the nano version is very slim and not that much bigger than many internal power filters. I also found it not so difficult to hide in my Betta Lifespace but its not so good for tanks less than 30 gallons I would guess. I undersatnd it may not be to your liking etc but having used one I can tell you its a great piece of kit but not for everyone.

More info.

http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&amp...=-infoxunter016

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?r...ved=0CDgQ8wIwBA

Tunze has a video on their site that made it through the firewall. Looks like it works on the same principal as a Carlson device, but internal, and using a pump to speed it up instead of a siphon. Pretty interesting.

And actually, looking over the dimensions, the nano isn't that large - the height is a bit much for my tank (tank is 16" tank, wave box is 10"), but footprint isn't so bad. Still, I've already got Vortechs, don't have the extra money to spend on something that may or may not be better. :)

Tunze has a video on their site that made it through the firewall. Looks like it works on the same principal as a Carlson device, but internal, and using a pump to speed it up instead of a siphon. Pretty interesting.

Sorry I just don't see that. The Tunze is a "push you pull you" device using a pump to pull the water in and push it back out very rapidly. Forgive me if I am wrong but I see no comparison between how the two work. The Tunze creates a whole different effect IMO looking at both and having experience of the Tunze. I guess we will have to agree to disagree but in all honestly I fail to see the similarity apart from the fact both create a wave one way or another with the Tunze being formed in a pulsed way. You didn't answer my question either about if my understanding of the Carlson device was about right Ben.

jedimasterben
Sorry I just don't see that. The Tunze is a "push you pull you" device using a pump to pull the water in and push it back out very rapidly. Forgive me if I am wrong but I see no comparison between how the two work. The Tunze creates a whole different effect IMO looking at both and having experience of the Tunze. I guess we will have to agree to disagree but in all honestly I fail to see the similarity apart from the fact both create a wave one way or another with the Tunze being formed in a pulsed way. You didn't answer my question either about if my understanding of the Carlson device was about right Ben.

The pump turns off and lets water re-flood the compartment, it doesn't pull water in, the pump would have to run in reverse to do that. I'm just saying they work on the same water-in-water-rush-out principle, but the way they go about it is different. ;)

And you've got the idea of the Carlson device down. Water fills a container and then it rushes out into the tank via a siphon.

The more I read about the Tunze, the more I see how they work differently, one produces wave action and one just produces a nice surge. The video on Tunze's site shows the water level in the tank rising and falling like there is a surge of water coming in (which is something I really love and wish I could replicate on my tank), but they're only showing part of the tank and the wave that is being produced.

I'm just not sure how the Tunze really moves stuff around by itself without any laminar flow. The site says that it alone is good on a big tank and will remove detritus, but if it is only producing a wave, the particles it lifts up will have zero net movement, as the wave is picking them up and putting them back when the wave passes. It takes laminar flow, at that point, to move it around.

That's one thing I love about my MP10s. In Nutrient Transport Mode (which is made to remove detritus from the main tank, and damn does it do a swell job), it does a pulsing wave action for a short time, then a big surge of water laminar-ly (lol) and pushes it up, around, and out.

Edited by jedimasterben
The pump turns off and lets water re-flood the compartment, it doesn't pull water in, the pump would have to run in reverse to do that. I'm just saying they work on the same water-in-water-rush-out principle, but the way they go about it is different. ;)

And you've got the idea of the Carlson device down. Water fills a container and then it rushes out into the tank via a siphon.

Yes, sorry the pump does not pull the water into it it is pulled into the space within naturally and fills the void left as it were. So there is no syphon in the Tunze and the Tunze works at a far faster rate to create the wave, there is no dumping as with a syphon and the whole thing is self contained with only the controoler and power supply being external as you would expect.

My understanding is the kind of wave produced by the Tunze is different to a dump device which as I understand is how the Carlson device works. BTW the Tunze nano wave box is quite a bit cheaper than the Vortech MP40 here depending which version of the MP10 you choose, great pumps though. Tunze also recommend you provide extra circulation with the wave box as well but that could be provided by the return pump from a sump or a powerhead which will add to the cost. I think both have their own merits and you pays your money and takes your pick.

Les.

Edited by atoll

One of the coolest tanks I've ever seen on here was 33L w/a Tunze Nano Wavemaker and tons of different macroalgaes and something like 28 fish.

Because it didn't have corals, he was able to keep several fish that aren't "reef safe" and the uptake of nutrients by the large amount of Macro made it possible to have far more than normal fish.

Now I'm gonna be trying to remember the name of that thread all day.

One of the coolest tanks I've ever seen on here was 33L w/a Tunze Nano Wavemaker and tons of different macroalgaes and something like 28 fish.

Because it didn't have corals, he was able to keep several fish that aren't "reef safe" and the uptake of nutrients by the large amount of Macro made it possible to have far more than normal fish.

Now I'm gonna be trying to remember the name of that thread all day.

Wow that's a bunch of fish for that size tank. You do mean 33 long right, not 33 liters :-)

If you do find the link Weetabix7 do post it will you. That should be an interesting tank to see pictures of for sure.

Tanks

Albert

Wow that's a bunch of fish for that size tank. You do mean 33 long right, not 33 liters :-)

If you do find the link Weetabix7 do post it will you. That should be an interesting tank to see pictures of for sure.

Tanks

Albert

Yes, 33 Long. It was really an amazing tank. I'll def post the link here if I can find it.

Photos from Tony Vargas' Site ... not all are His

© Tony Vargas and the Owners of the Pictures shown (the link will show who they are)

Oyster Blenny Omobranchus anolius

Oyster%20Blenny%20Omobranchus%20anolius.png

Pataecus fronto

Pataecus%20fronto.png

tv.png

tv1.png

tv2.png

tv3.png

Julian and Tony

tv4.png

tv5.png

Link : http://www.facebook.com/tony.vargas.946

As noted these are from Tony's Picture collection and copyrights belong to those who added them to his gallery.

Albert

Edited by albertthiel