inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Hey I wonder if you can check my recent post and tell me what you think, i have seen 2 Nudibranchs in my tank recently and got the best photos i could, are these worth keeping? i have heard Berghia are good to have but many others arent good at all, i would love to hear what you think ! thank you ! here is the link http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry4041768

I will have a look at what yo show and reply on your thread.

Albert

EDIT : and yes they do look like Berghia Nudibranchs indeed. Not sure how they got in your tank but they must have HH'ed on some rock you got, and maybe they were very small and grew then.

You state on your thread that you do not have any need for them right now as there are no Aiptasia in your tank, so maybe you should try and get the LFS you deal with to give you credit for them for something else.

Edited by albertthiel

Did anyone have any idea what this might be? - Sponge? - Tunicate?

- Or maybe something else still?

This is growing amongst a bunch of Zoas, as you can see on the picture and those seem to be doing well.

It is totally white and looks "spongy", and has at least five tiny and short "arms/feelers" that I can see using a magnifying glass, it and the very short feelers does NOT move, and it does not seem to bother the Zoas, even those right next to it, as they remain open and extended.

I tried to find an ID but could not find one in the various DB's I looked in.

spongeornot.png

Enlarged

spongenot2.png

It is about 1/2 inch long and less than 1/4 inch wide.

- Any thoughts anyone? -

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

A long and detailed Article on Aquarium Filtration, written by Jeremy Linzmaier of

"The Fox Valley Reef Club"

© Jeremy Linzmaier (the article was originally published in Word format and I converted it to PDF)

Covers any form of filtration we know and use, including methods and compounds, even Lanthanum Chloride and many others, with explanations and details on each of them ...

This is the first article by Jeremy Linzmaier that I have come across. It is well written and pretty detailed. I will search to determine whether I can find other ones he wrote.

A very good read for anyone who wants yet another view on reef tank Aquarium Filtration methods and what and how they perform their intended function.

Link : Jeremy's Article on Aquarium Filtration

Should you have problems accessing it let me know please

Albert

The Hantu Bloggers: A site with multiple links to the Singapore Waters and

and details on what is found there

This particular ink deals with Acoel Flatworms but you can navigate around the site by clicking on the various links that are available.

Link : http://www.pulauhantu.org/nudibranches-and-acoel-flatworms/

acoelsinga.png

The above photograph of acoel flatworms on porites coral was shot in January 2008. Acoel flatworms reproduce primarily asexually, by fission, and can quickly attain high densities with sufficient light (they have symbiotic algae) and abundant copepod prey.

To the right of the main screen you will find many links to other topics of interest !

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Blog Log: Slugs, Snails & Seastars and more ...

© pulauhantu.org and photo Jimmy Goh

nudifake.png

This is not a nudibranch. It is in fact, a flatworm that is trying to mimic a kind of nudibranch known as the Black-margined glossodoris that can also be found in local waters.

The flatworm might benefit from looking at like the Black-margined glossodoris, as the nudibranch absorbs the toxic chemicals in the sponges that it feeds on and deposits these chemicals into the mantle glands on their backs which acts to repel predators.

Link: http://www.pulauhantu.org/blog-log-slugs-snails-seastars/

Albert

Look at this, Albert.

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/scypha.html

This picture is from Melevsreef.com taken by Debi aka dc from reefcentral.com

scypha.jpg

You got it eitallent ... it is a sponge indeed as I somehow thought and indicated. Glad you found a reference to it and that is indeed what I have.

Thanks for looking it up for me.

Since it is reef safe and does not seem to bother the Zoas I will just leave it where it is.

I appreciate your researching it and "finding" it.

Albert

You got it eitallent ... it is a sponge indeed as I somehow thought and indicated. Glad you found a reference to it and that is indeed what I have.

Thanks for looking it up for me.

Since it is reef safe and does not seem to bother the Zoas I will just leave it where it is.

I appreciate your researching it and "finding" it.

Albert

You are very :welcome:

It is my pleasure to be able to return the favor.

jedimasterben

Remove every single one of those sponges that you find. It doens't matter if they are only in a fuge, or only in one inconspicuous place, they spread like fire. I started with a few in my sump, then one in the display and was like "aw, COOL, filter feeders, I'm doing something right!" and now I have to pull them off coral skeletons because they are attaching and growing everywhere out of control.

Phosphate-E from Brightwell Aquatics and PhosBuster Pro from CaribSea

These are both Lanthanum Based Phosphate removers and I have posted information about the Brightwell product some time ago on this thread.

I came across the PhosBuster Pro product at my local LFS and purchased a small bottle of it.

Why did I buy it? Because I want to run a test using aquarium water but in another container and add both of the products to determine what kind of results I can get.

My PO4 in my tank water is very low so I want to test whether using both if these compounds separately of course, will give me the "cloudy" effect that Lanthanum chloride is supposed to bring about IF more Phosphate is present and IF it binds with it and produces the very fine "floc" that instructions on the labels of the products refer to.

More to follow when the tests are completed in a day or so.

Albert

Remove every single one of those sponges that you find. It doens't matter if they are only in a fuge, or only in one inconspicuous place, they spread like fire. I started with a few in my sump, then one in the display and was like "aw, COOL, filter feeders, I'm doing something right!" and now I have to pull them off coral skeletons because they are attaching and growing everywhere out of control.

Thanks for the input Ben ... I appreciate it ... Question: after you saw the first one how long did it take for them to start spreading so rapidly?

Also how did you notice that they were spreading? Did you see like white spots on your rocks and in other places, spots maybe 1/8 of an inch and white and hard to the touch, or was what you saw different?

Thanks for giving me some additional info, as if they spread as white spots first that grow eventually I guess, then yes I have a number of them already on my live rock.

I would appreciate more feedback. Thanks

Albert

jedimasterben
Thanks for the input Ben ... I appreciate it ... Question: after you saw the first one how long did it take for them to start spreading so rapidly?

Also how did you notice that they were spreading? Did you see like white spots on your rocks and in other places, spots maybe 1/8 of an inch and white and hard to the touch, or was what you saw different?

Thanks for giving me some additional info, as if they spread as white spots first that grow eventually I guess, then yes I have a number of them already on my live rock.

I would appreciate more feedback. Thanks

Albert

At first, I had only seen three or four and didn't think much about it. Then when I started moving to my new tank, I realized just how many there were - hundreds. This was over the span of a few weeks, 3-4. There were probably already quite a few hiding behind my rockwork that I could not have seen otherwise, but it did not take them long to start showing up in the open.

What you describe is exactly what I have in my system (along with spirorbid worms, another nuisance that I wish had never made it into my system), and exactly the way that mine form (just a spot then growing on top of that). I am still seeing them everywhere, and every time I pull a dozen out, a dozen more pop up in the next week.

At first, I had only seen three or four and didn't think much about it. Then when I started moving to my new tank, I realized just how many there were - hundreds. This was over the span of a few weeks, 3-4. There were probably already quite a few hiding behind my rockwork that I could not have seen otherwise, but it did not take them long to start showing up in the open.

What you describe is exactly what I have in my system (along with spirorbid worms, another nuisance that I wish had never made it into my system), and exactly the way that mine form (just a spot then growing on top of that). I am still seeing them everywhere, and every time I pull a dozen out, a dozen more pop up in the next week.

Based on what I was able to find they are referred to as Pineapple sponges and interestingly enough on RC posters report that they saw an explosion of them when they started carbon dosing (with Vodka was mentioned several times).

I have the spots on a number of rocks and they are "hard" and not easy to get off the rock ... guess I will have to remove the rocks and scrub them off in SW, and then see what happens as you say that after you get rid of them they reappear anyway ...

Wonder whether that carbon dosing has anything to do with it or not ... I dose vinegar mixed with the KW but not Vodka ...

Thanks for the up and up.

Albert

You are very :welcome:

It is my pleasure to be able to return the favor.

Thanks eitallent but do read the comments made by Ben about these sponges that seem to multiply very fast.

The site you gave me http://www.melevsreef.com/id/scypha.html calls them Scypha sponges and on RC they seem to be referred to as Pineapple sponges.

You may want to do a search for that and read the RC posts.

The posters also appear to indicate that the outbreaks may be tied to carbon dosing.

Thanks for the help.

Albert

jedimasterben
How Important is proper Water Flow in your Tank? And the use of Gyres

Water Flow is More Important for Corals Than Light

© By Jake Adams and Advanced Aquarist

Just as aquarium lighting has received a thorough reevaluation, so too must we start to consider how the water movement of our aquariums translates into water motion which is relevant and suitable for coral health.

gyres.png

Link: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

Albert

I read this article before I had gotten all three of my Vortech pumps (of which I now only use two) and had considered setting up a more laminar approach to my tank instead of the 'random' pulsing flow that these pumps are best known for. I am considering it again since you have brought this up. I will post more to my thread later. :)

I read this article before I had gotten all three of my Vortech pumps (of which I now only use two) and had considered setting up a more laminar approach to my tank instead of the 'random' pulsing flow that these pumps are best known for. I am considering it again since you have brought this up. I will post more to my thread later. :)

Yes indeed, creating gyres in the tank to modify the flow of water through the tank seems like a good idea indeed and may be a more efficient way of doing so than using power hands with flow directional controllers attached to them, as from what I read they may not be that reliable, but then that may be anecdotal evidence.

The concept described in that article seems to greatly improve on what those PH's can do.

I follow your thread so I am sure the posts will come up when you add them.

Thanks Ben

Albert

How Important is proper Water Flow in your Tank? And the use of Gyres

Water Flow is More Important for Corals Than Light

© By Jake Adams and Advanced Aquarist

Just as aquarium lighting has received a thorough reevaluation, so too must we start to consider how the water movement of our aquariums translates into water motion which is relevant and suitable for coral health.

gyres.png

Link: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

Albert

It would be interesting to run an experiment that employed identical tanks, identical rock mass, identical lighting, identical corals and even identical pumps, and where the only variables were how the rock mass was shaped and placed and how the pumps were angled. An experiment like this might show us some interesting things about how flow affects coral growth and health.

It would be interesting to run an experiment that employed identical tanks, identical rock mass, identical lighting, identical corals and even identical pumps, and where the only variables were how the rock mass was shaped and placed and how the pumps were angled. An experiment like this might show us some interesting things about how flow affects coral growth and health.

Weetabix7:

That would indeed be a very interesting experiment to run, but I am personally not able to set one up, but perhaps there are articles that can be found that give us more details on how water flow (laminar and other) affects corals, coral growth, and whatever else in the aquarium.

I guess that with some of the PH's on the market right now one can simulate changing water flow patterns and achieve some of what the article described.

Then there are the various types of surge devices that when in operation change the current and flow as well and although they may not achieve the same effect, they do alter how the water moves through the aquarium when the water "ump" occurs.

Wonder whether anyone reading this has some comments on how those PH's have brought about changes when they were installed, versus how the tank was doing before they were included.

Excellent suggestion indeed on the experiment ....

Thanks for the post

Albert

This is the first time I have heard anyone say get rid of these?

They grow like crazy in my sumps, even in the dark. I always think "oh good filter feeders".

Thanks for the heads-up. (As I search for them in my display :))

Although, I have yet to see them become a pest in my display tanks.

R.

This is the first time I have heard anyone say get rid of these?

They grow like crazy in my sumps, even in the dark. I always think "oh good filter feeders".

Thanks for the heads-up. (As I search for them in my display :))

Although, I have yet to see them become a pest in my display tanks.

R.

I'll let Ben reply to this and yes they grow in the dark and that is why you can find them underneath rocks where you cannot see them. Not sure how many I have, but you saw the picture of the large one (which apparently is about how large they get), but I have all those white round spots on the LR on the same side where that large one is located and I am not sure if they will develop into Scypha's or not.

All I can say is that those spots do not come off when I use a toothbrush on them. Guess to get rid of them I would have to take the rocks out and scrub them with a real hard bristle brush to see if they come off then.

Right now I can only see one that has grown out (the one in the picture I posted).

Most based on what I read grow in a tubular or sometimes a sort of "ball shape" but then there are some shown on sites on the Net where the shape can vary from that, such as the one below :

scyphashape.png

I am going to keep watching what happens for a while and if a lot of them appear in the open I think I will remove some as they do look somewhat unsightly especially if they grow inside of a Zoa colony for instance.

I will keep those who read this thread posted of course.

BTW do you have any in your display tank that you know of (e.g. under rocks or in dark spots)? The one I showed grows under full intensity light btw.

Albert

I'll let Ben reply to this and yes they grow in the dark and that is why you can find them underneath rocks where you cannot see them. Not sure how many I have, but you saw the picture of the large one (which apparently is about how large they get), but I have all those white round spots on the LR on the same side where that large one is located and I am not sure if they will develop into Scypha's or not.

All I can say is that those spots do not come off when I use a toothbrush on them. Guess to get rid of them I would have to take the rocks out and scrub them with a real hard bristle brush to see if they come off then.

Right now I can only see one that has grown out (the one in the picture I posted).

Most based on what I read grow in a tubular or sometimes a sort of "ball shape" but then there are some shown on sites on the Net where the shape can vary from that, such as the one below :

scyphashape.png

I am going to keep watching what happens for a while and if a lot of them appear in the open I think I will remove some as they do look somewhat unsightly especially if they grow inside of a Zoa colony for instance.

I will keep those who read this thread posted of course.

BTW do you have any in your display tank that you know of (e.g. under rocks or in dark spots)? The one I showed grows under full intensity light btw.

Albert

In my large system, I notice some on the back on the glass where there is low flow. Also where the tangs can't get to pick at the glass. In my small systems only in the sumps and overflows. But I will be watching LOL.

R.

In my large system, I notice some on the back on the glass where there is low flow. Also where the tangs can't get to pick at the glass. In my small systems only in the sumps and overflows.

But I will be watching LOL.

R.

Thanks Rick ...

I do not know, and have not been able to find any indication that they "damage" anything, or are parasitic on corals or whatever, since they are filter feeders and trap small particles with those tentacles they have, and that seems about all they do besides drawing in water and filter feeding.

One article I read seemed to indicate that they may appear when tanks are carbon dosed (Vodka was mentioned), and another stated that overfeeding brings them about, as that would put particulate in the water that they can use - e.g. the tiny particles of Cyclop-eeze - not sure though - , or the fine ones from Continuum "micro-blast".

I guess the only issue really may be one of "looks", as if there were many in plain view I think it would distract from the overall appeal of the tank ... but that is very subjective of course.

Odd too is that this subject does not come up a whole lot ... in fact I had not seen one until I posted a picture of the large one that I have growing amongst a cluster of Zoas.

Thanks for the post and keep us in the loop on what you see in your tank ... I appreciate it.

Albert