SaltCritters.com

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

It this one Small Enough for you ...

I guess they don't really come much tinier than this

smalll.png

I am sure lots of you would love to have one of these ...

Me too .. but they grow and grow and then they may become somewhat of a problem :-o

Great looking and "so" cute though

Albert

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BTW I have a Nano Reef Group on FB which you can join ... it's an open group and there are a number of posters on it that are not part of NR, and add some real interesting info ... A few real old timers too that have a lot to share ....

I would take a bunch of those frogfish, but then when they grew I would donate them to a public aquarium.

------

redlip.png

Albert

I thought that was one of my old girlfriends, but she had skinnier legs. Same beard though

• Like 2
albertthiel

I would take a bunch of those frogfish, but then when they grew I would donate them to a public aquarium.

I thought that was one of my old girlfriends, but she had skinnier legs. Same beard though

Yes me too, but when they grow up and get larger that would be the right thing to do or soon you would have no other fish left in your tank ...

And on that girlfriend ... must have been French ... they like beards :-)

albertthiel

For all who pre-ordered Nano Reef Aquariums on this forum (and on others of course)

The Newsletter #2 will be going out in just a few days ... It will be sent via an email attachment so make sure I have your email address ...

If you paid through PayPal I do have it but if you paid in any other way I may not and if so, email it to me at albert.thiel@gmail.com

Thanks

Albert

Marine Ick (I)

Link :

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

By Steven Pro ...

Albert

===========================

Marine Ick (II)

Link :

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/sp/feature/index.php

Albert

Thanks for posting this Albert. I would like to add to it. I have been dealing with ich in stores and wholesalers for decades and IMO the best method (besides not letting the fish get it in the first place) is copper/formulin and quinicrine hydrocloride. This is guaranteed to work by me. If the fish dies send it to me with a self addresed sealed envelope and I would hope the post office smells it and throws it out long before it gets to me. Another method similar to the changing water method is to put the fish in a small tank and run a diatom filter for 10 days. That is how I just cured the last copperband I bought with ich, but I also added copper.

Copper is very easy and you don't have to test it "IF" you measure the recommended amount into the hospital tank and every day, or twice a day, change a gallon of water with more water that has the arropriote amount of copper in it. So if it is ten drops per gallon, remove one gallon of water and add another gallon of water that has 10 drops of copper in it. This is if you have the fish in a small tank like 3 gallons, if it is larger, change 2 gallons a day or twice a day. Copper is very cheap, don't worry about it. If you are paying a lot for copper, get it someplace else, copper is copper.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Thanks for posting this Albert. I would like to add to it. I have been dealing with ich in stores and wholesalers for decades and IMO the best method (besides not letting the fish get it in the first place) is copper/formulin and quinicrine hydrocloride. This is guaranteed to work by me. If the fish dies send it to me with a self addresed sealed envelope and I would hope the post office smells it and throws it out long before it gets to me. Another method similar to the changing water method is to put the fish in a small tank and run a diatom filter for 10 days. That is how I just cured the last copperband I bought with ich, but I also added copper.

Copper is very easy and you don't have to test it "IF" you measure the recommended amount into the hospital tank and every day, or twice a day, change a gallon of water with more water that has the arropriote amount of copper in it. So if it is ten drops per gallon, remove one gallon of water and add another gallon of water that has 10 drops of copper in it. This is if you have the fish in a small tank like 3 gallons, if it is larger, change 2 gallons a day or twice a day. Copper is very cheap, don't worry about it. If you are paying a lot for copper, get it someplace else, copper is copper.

Thanks Paul and that is indeed real good info but I hope that those who are on THIS thread do not have to deal with Marine ick ... I have not had to deal with it and I hope no one does as even though it can obviously be cured it is a lot of work and there really is no guarantee that it will work on ALL fish as some may be too far gone ...

I cannot remember the last time I had a fish that got ick .. but then maybe that is just because I don't buy any that have it and also because I make sure that I do not create a tank environment where they may get it ...

And I know you do the same ...

Feed wholesome foods like you do and the fish will be healthy ... and will not get ick or Velvet or any of the other nasty diseases that were common in the past but no longer seem to be at least not for those who are on this thread and on this forum ...

Love you comments.. and remember Vit C is another way to keep fish healthy besides fish oil and Blackworms etc ... but then you know that ...

Albert

I cannot remember the last time I had a fish that got ick .. but then maybe that is just because I don't buy any that have it and also because I make sure that I do not create a tank environment where they may get it ...

As you know my fish do not get ich either. But the last copperband I bought for $10.00 was covered in it so I wanted to cure it before I put it in my tank or he may have died. I used to cure it all the time in stores and wholesalers but I have not had to do that in years. I think the last time my fish had ich was about 30 years ago. It is so simple to prevent and I have posted that numerous times that it is almost funny that so many people are still plagued with it. But it is mostly new tanks owned by hobbiests with little experience.

• Like 1

On the Importance of Water Flow

© Jake Adams ....

Link :

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

Albert

Another important factor that many people forget. In the sea, many of our animals come from areas of such turbulent flow that we could never recreate this in a tank. In Cozumel there is so much current that a diver can't even stay in one place. I have been in places in the South Pacific in cuts between volcanoes where it is impossible to swim but the place is loaded with fish including Moorish Idols.

Even seahorses here in New York live in some turbulent water even though they have miniscule seemingly useless fins.

We could not over circulate out tanks. Unless of course you have a Nano and want to keep most of the water in the tank.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Just to let everyone here know .... on Saturday evening at midnight the price of Nano-Reef Aquariums will go up to $ 38.50 + shipping costs.

If you still want to book you have two choices right now :

Order the e-Version for $20.00

Order the printed version for $ 32.50 + shipping

I know I cannot reach everyone who may be interested via this post so let your friends who have reef tanks know if you think they should be aware of this price increase.

After that, mid-,next week the price will go up again as more Retail Stores start have the book in stock.

Thanks

Albert

albertthiel

As you know my fish do not get ich either. But the last copperband I bought for $10.00 was covered in it so I wanted to cure it before I put it in my tank or he may have died. I used to cure it all the time in stores and wholesalers but I have not had to do that in years. I think the last time my fish had ich was about 30 years ago. It is so simple to prevent and I have posted that numerous times that it is almost funny that so many people are still plagued with it. But it is mostly new tanks owned by hobbiests with little experience.

You are indeed totally correct Paul, I think that those who have a good deal of experience do not have any issues with their fish getting ick or some other disease, but those who just get in the hobby and do not READ up and LEARN before starting will have far more problems ...

And we both know they do just from reading posts on other threads and on other forums.

It is very unfortunate that many many new hobbyists want to learn the "hard and expensive" way rather than investing in a good Book (and it does not have to be one of mine ). But that is what happens ....

Albert

Another important factor that many people forget. In the sea, many of our animals come from areas of such turbulent flow that we could never recreate this in a tank. In Cozumel there is so much current that a diver can't even stay in one place. I have been in places in the South Pacific in cuts between volcanoes where it is impossible to swim but the place is loaded with fish including Moorish Idols.

Even seahorses here in New York live in some turbulent water even though they have miniscule seemingly useless fins.

We could not over circulate out tanks. Unless of course you have a Nano and want to keep most of the water in the tank.

Yes as that article and other ones point out .. circulation is a very important fact to keep in mind and set up correctly ...

And you are right on the reefs the current is so strong that one may wonder how the fish deal with it ---- but they do ... so a real strong non-lamincar flow in our tanks, reefs or nano-reefs, is most important ...

Thanks

Albert

What is this thing "ick" you talk of? :rolleyes:

;)

You are indeed totally correct Paul, I think that those who have a good deal of experience do not have any issues with their fish getting ick or some other disease, but those who just get in the hobby and do not READ up and LEARN before starting will have far more problems ...

And we both know they do just from reading posts on other threads and on other forums.

It is very unfortunate that many many new hobbyists want to learn the "hard and expensive" way rather than investing in a good Book (and it does not have to be one of mine ). But that is what happens ....

Albert

Yes as that article and other ones point out .. circulation is a very important fact to keep in mind and set up correctly ...

And you are right on the reefs the current is so strong that one may wonder how the fish deal with it ---- but they do ... so a real strong non-lamincar flow in our tanks, reefs or nano-reefs, is most important ...

Thanks

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

What is this thing "ick" you talk of? :rolleyes:

;)

Ickwhat? ... .. indeed what is it .. not sure ... have not had to deal with it .. so not even sure what it looks like .. is it those Purple spots fish get > Help me ...I am lost ... :-o

Albert

• Like 1

Ickwhat? ... .. indeed what is it .. not sure ... have not had to deal with it .. so not even sure what it looks like .. is it those Purple spots fish get > Help me ...I am lost ... :-o

Albert

Na! I doubt it's ickwhat but more like ickup ........ I didn't know fish could get ickup but perhaps after too many beers they do. :wacko:

I get ickups after eating very hot curry. Sometimes I even get hiccups :blink:

• Like 1
albertthiel

Na! I doubt it's ickwhat but more like ickup ........ I didn't know fish could get ickup but perhaps after too many beers they do. :wacko:

I get ickups after eating very hot curry. Sometimes I even get hiccups :blink:

That sounds more like a Friday statement Les ...

Ickup or ickwaht .. they are like ickisthatwhatmyfishave ... ?

Oh well I guess you known what I mean .. .or maybe not since your fish do not get those "dingoes"and mine do not either :-)

Albert

albertthiel

sympodium is still angry with me. it seems to open up more in the dark than it does with the light on :/

You may need to fix that light I guess although it should do well under moderate light .. some see it do well under brighter light but moderate works too ... of course it depends in your case on how strong the lighting it was getting was and how it has now changed which is what may be upsetting it ...

Here is some more info about it : http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+1464+3082&pcatid=3082

Albert

• Like 1

You may need to fix that light I guess although it should do well under moderate light .. some see it do well under brighter light but moderate works too ... of course it depends in your case on how strong the lighting it was getting was and how it has now changed which is what may be upsetting it ...

Here is some more info about it : http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+1464+3082&pcatid=3082

Albert

my mother is lending me money. I ordered a 24inch ho t5 fixture which I'm going to hang above the tank and I'll find a way to shield the ends so the light is just focused on the tank not all over the place. I won't get it til next week so hopefully the little sypmodium frag will hang on until then. My water is good so all I can think of is that it's my light. I'm not hopeful, though.

• Like 1
albertthiel

my mother is loaning me money. I ordered a 24inch ho t5 fixture which I'm going to hang above the tank and I'll find a way to shield the ends so the light is just focused on the tank not all over the place. I won't get it til next week so hopefully the little sypmodium frag will hang on until then. My water is good so all I can think of is that it's my light. I'm not hopeful, though.

Yes I think that it reacted negatively to the change in lighting when you had those power failures that seem to have messed your current fixture so when the new one comes in I would get it exposed to the new lighting slowly so it does not have an adverse reaction to a sudden large increase in better lighting .... gradually acclimating it would be in order I think ...

Keep us posted ... thanks

Albert

• Like 1