ReefCleaners.org

BIG 20 It's dog eat dog.

chrssprngs

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can zoom in with your fingers. Just like you do when viewing photos or web pages. Then it's just a matter of focusing v

Ah that simple. Gee I just learnt something new .. never to late to learn .. even about iPhones.

Thanks Chris

Most welcome. High expectations now. Don't disappoint.

:) ... I'll sure try it out and attempt to get some close ups now that you told me what to do.

Thanks

Picked up a few things today. Acclimating now. Pics maybe tonight. Maybe she won't notice. She was telling me last night that maybe we need a bigger tank. ?

Picked up a few things today. Acclimating now. Pics maybe tonight. Maybe she won't notice. She was telling me last night that maybe we need a bigger tank. ?

Aren't our tanks ALWAYS too small :)

About time I put a clam in this tank. He's a little guy. Price was right and I liked the pattern.

012AD274-1186-46D0-A2BC-9712AE511D8F-7145-0000094B1473FB9D.jpg

Picked up these guys really cheap. Popped them off the plug in a couple of pieces. So I glued them down in two places.

7A8A1617-C220-4454-BD12-295245A397F6-7145-0000094B1C5ECAA5.jpg

0F1BDA05-71D3-4F60-A4E5-BFE95625B967-7145-0000094B2026F8AA.jpg

About time I put a clam in this tank. He's a little guy. Price was right and I liked the pattern.

Very nice looking Chris .. I like what you did too .. nice placement and plugs in sight ... nice job I say !

Thanks Albert. The Palys in the second pic are gone. Super glued them to the rock and when I went back to check on them, they were gone. The pistol shrimp stole them before the glue was set. I went on mission to find them, and after removing rock, acans, all the zoas and palys in the area, I couldn't find them. Wondering what possessed me to buy the shrimp. The good news is, I was able to get everything back in place. The chalice slimed up like crazy, but was back to normal 30 minutes later. I'm glad I split those palys that the shrimp took and placed them in two locations. At least I still have some of them.

Thanks Albert. The Palys in the second pic are gone. Super glued them to the rock and when I went back to check on them, they were gone. The pistol shrimp stole them before the glue was set. I went on mission to find them, and after removing rock, acans, all the zoas and palys in the area, I couldn't find them. Wondering what possessed me to buy the shrimp. The good news is, I was able to get everything back in place. The chalice slimed up like crazy, but was back to normal 30 minutes later. I'm glad I split those palys that the shrimp took and placed them in two locations. At least I still have some of them.

Wow, sorry to read that .. yes some shrimp are known to do that although they should not.

Sorry you lost part of what you got and yes good you placed them in two areas.

Now are you sure it is the shrimp, or did they come loose and are balled up and somewhere in a crevice in the live rock ... they may still turn up .. as I found out when I lost a few for a couple of days and then suddenly discovered them behind a rock as I was looking at the tank from the back.

I just retrieved them and glued them back on another piece of rock and placed them in the front. They are still there but have not really opened widely ever since that happened.

Zoas can be odd at times and vanish or seem to slime up and then days later they suddenly are back to normal.

Hope you find them

No. I am positive the shrimp took them. I moved a lot of stuff looking for them. Disrupted the whole tank. Moved some larger rock that hasn't been disturbed in at least 16 months. Didn't turn my pumps off so basically created a huge sand storm. The tank was back to normal fairly quickly. I think a disruption/storm is actually healthy for a tank. We both know that life on a reef is not always calm and quiet. The opposite is more the norm. Long story short, the Zoanthids are in a dark cave deep under the rock structure.

No. I am positive the shrimp took them. I moved a lot of stuff looking for them. Disrupted the whole tank. Moved some larger rock that hasn't been disturbed in at least 16 months. Didn't turn my pumps off so basically created a huge sand storm. The tank was back to normal fairly quickly. I think a disruption/storm is actually healthy for a tank. We both know that life on a reef is not always calm and quiet. The opposite is more the norm. Long story short, the Zoanthids are in a dark cave deep under the rock structure.

Sorry you did not find them Chris and hopefully they will turn back up somehow one of these days .. with them you can never tell IMO.

Guess the sand got a good cleaning then too and your mechanical filters should be catching all the gunk :-)

Hi Chrss,

THanks for the PM. The Maxima is gorgeous! It looks very healthy. Everything you mentioned looks fine to me as far as lighting and placement. The very VERY most important thing you need to do to assure a conducive environment for your little girl is regular/weekly nitrate testing. If you can maintain detectable amounts of nitrates of < 2ppm your clam will have a constant supply of food and therefore should not require supplemental feeding. If you do want to feed it, live or cryo frozen phyto is at the top of the list. I also like Kent Microvert. If you should notice any mantle retraction let me know asap. Early detection is the key to the cure. I just dipped a 200+lb gigas clam for 5 minutes in fresh water. It was awesome!!!!

Put the phone in the tank for these shots. Hope you like them.

46C9DB95-5EFC-4E1A-ADE3-D12B94EEC7B4-7843-00000A2886A99B22.jpg

104C32E9-D776-48BC-A038-5F13AECCAE32-7843-00000A288B22BBC1.jpg

2F63963D-080E-4AF9-BA5D-7910E5B5ADD8-7843-00000A288FC9FAB0.jpg

These guys were HHs that showed up on a colony of Clove Polyps.

8B482C86-93E9-4891-A65B-05E91B88A175-7843-00000A28945EBBDE.jpg

Favia sweeping.

153056B0-1485-43F8-A428-A5B5DA6D44C6-7843-00000A289D00441D.jpg

Thanks Zeph. I thought she looked good, but having your eyes on her and confirming puts me at ease. I feed my tank. I know I have nitrates but they don't show up. I have Dendros that I feed one or two times daily and phytofeast 5 times a week. The clam should benifit without additional attention, don't you think?

Put the phone in the tank for these shots. Hope you like them.

Very nice Chris ... but the phone in the tank? Did I miss something ?

The first time I stuck it in the tank was a little scary. Search youtube and there will be a lot of snorkling videos and stuff with the case. A little pricey but worth it. I dropped the insurance on the phone so the cost will be paid off soon.

Thanks Zeph. I thought she looked good, but having your eyes on her and confirming puts me at ease. I feed my tank. I know I have nitrates but they don't show up. I have Dendros that I feed one or two times daily and phytofeast 5 times a week. The clam should benifit without additional attention, don't you think?

THank you! .Feeding clam manual is very inefficient and will not help in the absence of nitrates. Most people want zero nitrates in their systems, but many, like me, believe low level nitrates encourage growth in all corals, and especially clams. You say you have nitrates but they dont show up. Are they detectable through testing? If not, allow yourself to get a little lazy with the next water change or two until you can test low levels of <2ppm. Try it as a little test and see what your tank does. With PO4 in check you should have minimal micro algae. We have tried maintaining clams in zero nitrate systems and even low light systems, both with heavy feedings, and it simply did not work.

I do monthly water changes instead of weekly or bi-weekly. Sometimes every other month.

I hand feed the Dendros, Duncans, Blastos and Acans mysis. I broadcast the Phyto.

You read it right. The first three photos of that dump were taken with my phone in the tank. Take away the glass and the colors pop more. I have a "lifeproof" case on my phone which makes it water proof to 3 meters.

http://www.lifeproof.com/lp/iphone-4s-case...CFcqP7QodPTYAMA

Cool .. and looking at the case, in the link, the price is not that high compared to other water proof cases that can be bought for phone or cameras.

Cool .. and looking at the case, in the link, the price is not that high compared to other water proof cases that can be bought for phone or cameras.

And not nearly as bulky. It only adds a quarter inch to the width and length.

Wow! Cool underwater pics!!! I'll have to look into that case, thanks for the linky. :)

Thanks Mark.

A little nervous the first time I took the plunge. I couldn't tell you how many phones I've lost to water. Pool. Rain. Sweat. Glass of beer (once). Toilet (once).

Archived