Innovative Marine Aquariums

Biocube 29 w/LEDs: A learning experience.

Rollermonkey

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and fresh CUC team members.

Also, in an awesome blossom moment, my Dracula Goby was perched on a rock next to the cave she'd been hiding in. I was able to target feed her, so for the first time in... 30 days, i saw her eating.

She bounced around a bit and maybe, just maybe, found the Pistol shrimp. The tunnel I've seen it in the most was suddenly much bigger today. If so, I hope they both start to become less shy.

She did indeed find the pistol shrimp, and like a good shrimp goby, is guarding the entrance to their tunnels! They could have chosen a more prominent location, but this works.

P1000507.jpg

The clowns are here, and after drip acclimating them are acting like crazy clowns in the QT. I have no idea how Live Aquaria got that picture of them, they don't stop moving. It's like they are still panicked after 12 hours, they swim the seam for the left side then diagonally across the front, across the top front, and around the left side seam again, over and over.

In opposite directions, so they keep getting in each other's way.

She did indeed find the pistol shrimp, and like a good shrimp goby, is guarding the entrance to their tunnels! They could have chosen a more prominent location, but this works.

P1000507.jpg

Very cool! I love it when all goes as it should. :)

Congrats on your clown pair. So exciting!

Today, I received and dipped the Blueberry Mushroom, turquoise trumpets and mystery frag from Reef Gardener. I can't even count how many zoanthid polyps are on the mystery frag. Looks like a dozen, but there's so many babies... The mushroom is a beautiful shade of blue, I just hope my hermits / snails don't flip this one over. The trumpet is three large heads, but the polyps are still shy so far.

Then, the postman brought me John's latest army. Ok, it was 10 nerites, 7 Ceriths and a hitch hiking thin striped hermit. The penny macro went into the fuge to immediate mortal combat with the amorphous blob of chaeto / sponge / GHA back there. Next, I have to mount some of the mangroves to the tank.

So what happened with the new species discovery with the goby? Are you going to be in reefkeeping magazine or advanced aquarist?

Congratulation on the new clowns! You could turn off the lights for a day to let them settle if they are still hyper tomorrow.

So a JBJ ATO is about $80, less if you get it used.

Mangroves are "mounted". I bought some of that green florist foam, and carved it into a rudimentary clamp of sorts. It holds the root end of the seedlings at the water level, and once my ATO gets here, it should work pretty well.

So what happened with the new species discovery with the goby? Are you going to be in reefkeeping magazine or advanced aquarist?

Congratulation on the new clowns! You could turn off the lights for a day to let them settle if they are still hyper tomorrow.

So a JBJ ATO is about $80, less if you get it used.

No clue. I left it in Live Aquaria's hands, but the next three Diver's Den Draculas have included collection location, which is new since I got mine. Since the possible speciation is a geographical thing, maybe they are keeping track of body forms?

All my QT fish are no lights for the first 24 hours, and then over the month, I increase the photoperiod, and I have a sequence I do with the light. Initially, I keep a cloth over the grate, with reflected light, and gradually fold the cloth to cover less of the top, and angle the light back towards directly down. That only takes a week, and maybe the cloth will discourage carpet surfing.

Um, I have the Tunze on the way, arriving on Friday. :)

Mangroves are "mounted". I bought some of that green florist foam, and carved it into a rudimentary clamp of sorts. It holds the root end of the seedlings at the water level, and once my ATO gets here, it should work pretty well.

I would like to see a picture of that. Are you sure that florist foam is reef safe?

I need to charge my camera battery, but the foam doesn't touch the water. I can't imagine it being a huge issue, though. I mean, it's designed for plant matter to survive in it...

Duncans are in, ATO is rigged.

I think I'm done buying stuff.

:unsure:

Let's see, what's in there...

Helfrichi firefish

Blue Assessor

Dracula goby

Fire shrimp

Randall's pistol shrimp

Two maxi-minis

Red monti cap

Blueberry mushroom

4-headed Duncan

Three-headed Turquoise Trumpet (if it recovers)

Magenta birdsnest

Zoos:

4+ polyp mint chocolate chip

8+ polyp purple people eater

8+ polyp radioactive dragon eyes

14+ polyp mixed mystery frag (Wham'n Watermelon/unknown, maybe purple fission)

...and the Clownfish pair is in QT for three and a half more weeks.

Time to let stuff grow out.

It's not a jungle, but it's a start.

P1000518.jpg

P1000519.jpg

I see it! Thanks for posting the pics. I was going to see if I could use this idea for my tank but the foam will not have any place to sit or anchor to like your HOB.

If that light wasn't there, I would have just made the block bigger. The real helpful thing is the opening in the back of the hood gave me a place for the mangroves to stick out of the top without cutting another hole.

I adjusted the ATO sensor upwards a little, and was rewarded with getting to see it work.

:)

Duncans are in, ATO is rigged.

I think I'm done buying stuff.

:unsure:

Let's see, what's in there...

Helfrichi firefish

Blue Assessor

Dracula goby

Fire shrimp

Randall's pistol shrimp

Two maxi-minis

Red monti cap

Blueberry mushroom

4-headed Duncan

Three-headed Turquoise Trumpet (if it recovers)

Magenta birdsnest

Zoos:

4+ polyp mint chocolate chip

8+ polyp purple people eater

8+ polyp radioactive dragon eyes

14+ polyp mixed mystery frag (Wham'n Watermelon/unknown, maybe purple fission)

...and the Clownfish pair is in QT for three and a half more weeks.

Time to let stuff grow out.

Sounds awesome. Now it is time for a photo bomb update! :D

I think the trumpet just might make it, despite not being able to see any flesh at all when I took it out of the shipping box. Earlier today, I noticed a little flesh between the flutes of the skeleton, and tonight, I see feeder tentacles!

I targeted it with some of John's filter food, then chased off the Fire shrimp with water jets from the turkey baster.

Earlier, I was able to target feed the Duncan heads. I think it has a baby splitting off one of the heads. :)

I thought clowns were supposed to be easy to take care of?

The pair in QT has rapid respiration and are mostly staying low in the tank. They have been eating fine, including yesterday, and I see nothing else unusual.

This is almost the same thing that happened with the last one. It stayed low, slowed down, and respiration was elevated until it died.

I cleaned the tank with a vinegar solution thoroughly between QT periods, and rinsed well... Everything exactly the same as for the other fish.

I thought clowns were supposed to be easy to take care of?

The pair in QT has rapid respiration and are mostly staying low in the tank. They have been eating fine, including yesterday, and I see nothing else unusual.

This is almost the same thing that happened with the last one. It stayed low, slowed down, and respiration was elevated until it died.

I cleaned the tank with a vinegar solution thoroughly between QT periods, and rinsed well... Everything exactly the same as for the other fish.

oh, oh. That does not sound good. Have you tried posting to the fish forum for some suggestions. I read somewhere that a low ph will cause fish to have difficulty breathing. How do you measure your pH?

First, if the pH is too low, a condition within the fish called "Acidosis" results. Symptoms are anorexia, and then production of excess slime, isolation, and resting on the bottom, finally, streaking of the fins, and death will occur.

I hadn't been testing the QT, because I didn't before, and with the high frequency of the WC's it seemed like a waste, but you've nailed it. Low PH and high ammonia, despite every other day WCs.

I guess I need to go daily or skip QT on these guys and get them into an established biofilter.

Crisis averted. Thanks Ben, Kat and... I don't know the other guy's name...

Daily WCs is going to be annoying. Maybe I should have just got the 10G for my QT.

Deleted User 3

QT's suck, once I started using prime in it, it went easier. I wc'd like every 2-3 days, i didn't have to do anything for ph for some reason. Hope everything goes well :)

Archived