Top Shelf Aquatics

Biocube 29 w/LEDs: A learning experience.

Rollermonkey

Rollermonkey

Two of the hermits have already traded up for new shells from the bunch I got from John. One of those has climbed all the way to the tip top of my LR just now.

All of the Floridas have moved as have almost every dwarf from the bag as far as I can tell.

The three limpets have not moved at all. Two are attached to each other foot to foot, but I cannot see the feet, even though one is significantly larger than the other...

Several snails have made round trips to the waterline up the glass. One even was sitting on the return nozzle.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the first time yesterday I had one of my Turbo's go up and start to clean the return spout from my filter. I also noticed that w/o all my rock in there it's easier for my Fighting Conch to move around and he will do laps in the tank. You can see all his lines in the sand and he does a good job of digging deep to bury himself and stir up the bed as directed =) Also he is super fast!

Raggle Fraggle...

LiveAquaria is now out of stock of Helfrichi Firefish.

Also:

Snail poop

Gotta love the snail poo.

Rollermonkey

...and I finally have a hitchhiker.

But it didn't come from the LR. One of the Nerites has what appear to be small barnacles on the shell. I could see the little filter fans sticking out and everything.

Also, somebody laid a very drunken line of snail eggs on the back wall.

The limpet I kept turning upright has now been on its back three days, and the hermits haven't touched it. Still no sign of the other.

Last update for today: the Gucci QT is wet and awaiting its first occupant. I put 2 gallons of DT water and 5.5 gallons of new SW in there and fired it up.

Rollermonkey

The hermits are eating the snail eggs, and I'm starting to wonder if I should just remove the upside down limpet. The hermits don't seem to have even touched it.

Also: First fish is "On FedEx vehicle for delivery".

The QT is wet, warm and waiting. Got my drip acclimation rig set up, extra water on standby and now I just get to wait.

Rollermonkey

MF GD FedEx sucks donkey balls.

I'm sitting here in my apartment, and I refresh the delivery status, and I get delivery exception?

Hello? If you've got a box marked "perishable: Live Animal" I would think that the driver would do more than buzz the apartment manager to attempt delivery. (As usual, she didn't bother to show up for work today, but that's another story.)

There's a directory/phone on the door to be buzzed in, and it works to call my cell phone directly. I've tested it. So this a$$hat is just LAZY.

I called FedEx, and he's supposed to call me to let me know how long it will take to make the delivery TODAY, not Monday.

Rollermonkey

Acclimation went swimmingly, and he/she/it took to the QT quite well.

He didn't eat the brine shrimp this morning, nor the mysis last night, but cyclopeeze must be yummy, because that fish is gulping it up right now!

:-)

I'll do a small water change in a bit, let him eat. I need to make more SW for a bigger one, anyways.

Rollermonkey

OK, now the limpet I thought had died has vanished, shell and all and the one which had vanished for a week has climbed to the very top of the tank.

Rollermonkey

OK, so this Helfrichi will eat cyclopeeze and brine, but not mysis.

Interesting. I had thought that mysis was like the candy of the frozen fish food world.

Rollermonkey

Ok, so the "dead" limpet has vanished again, the other is out and about, and the chiton is now dead as a doorknob.

I did a big water change yesterday, and was starting to wonder if the CUC had enough to eat.

Today, when I got home, I saw three or four hermits and at least 3 or 4 snails going to town on the chiton. I swirled the clump with a chopstick, but it was too late and the chiton was obviously dead. A few moments later and the snails had returned to the feast. I left it in there, hit the "feed" button and dropped a quarter square of nori into the tank.

It's strange, because there's GHA and more growing in the refugium, but nothing seems to be growing in the display area. Maybe the Reef Cleaner crew is too effective?

• 2 weeks later...
Rollermonkey

Ok, it has been 60 days since I put the live rock in my tank, and I have seen exactly ZERO hitch hikers.

No worms, no pods, no stars, absolutely nothing.

Is this going to be a problem?

You may not get HH, if you want some throw in a piece of "uncured" live rock. Then again, every piece of coral you add could have HH on it too. It's not a guarantee either way.

FOUND A PINK WORM ON MINE THE OTHER DAY THOUGHT HE WAS A LITTLE GUY THEN LAST NIGHT I SAW HIM COME OUT AND RETRACT IN A BLINK OF AN EYE. HE WAS ATLEAST 4" LONG WHEN EXTENDED. CRAZY LITTLE CRITTERS.. NOT TO MENTION THE CLEA/WHITE BUGS AND THE BRISTLE/FIRE WORMS THAT ARE ON MY LR I GOT FROM THE LFS. I ALSO HAVE A FEW GUYS THAT GLOW NEON UNDER THE SAND AFTER THE LIGHTS GO OUT. PS NEW PICS UP =)

Rollermonkey

Updated pictures...

The LR is getting colorful.

P1000199.jpg

More plating coralline?

P1000200.jpg

P1000201.jpg

P1000202.jpg

Poor limpet. I turned you right side up every day for two weeks. I don't know if you're still alive or what you're eating, but maybe the MP10 will blow you over. I'm not doing it again.

P1000204.jpg

P1000205.jpg

My original clump of plating coralline seems to be slowly growing and other patches have appeared.

P1000206.jpg

Half Dome is very popular with the climbing aficionados.

P1000207.jpg

This Florida Cerith seems to have caught a case of the clams. I wonder how big the clam will have to get before the snail can't move any more.

P1000209.jpg

All empty shells seem to end up here, the site of the fuzzy chiton murder. Two hermits and a bunch of nassarius snails killed the chiton, then the snails ate it. I was too late to stop the killing, but I watched the snails eating. Here I thought they were herbivores...

P1000210.jpg

Hmm... Green, but nobody's eating it...

P1000211.jpg

Rollermonkey

No reason to update the FTS. from farther away, you can't see anything interesting yet. In a week, when I move the Helfrichi from the QT to the DT, I'll take a new FTS.

Oh, and after I bought a pouch of pods, but before I dumped them in the tank, what do you think I finally saw?

Yup, pods. That was a waste of $20.

Archived