Cultivated Reef

Biocube 29 w/LEDs: A learning experience.

Rollermonkey

I wanted some barnacle clusters from Reef Cleaners for the new build, so I got more reinforcements for the cube's CUC at the same time.

At least it got me into the free shipping zone. :)

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted some barnacle clusters from Reef Cleaners for the new build, so I got more reinforcements for the cube's CUC at the same time.

At least it got me into the free shipping zone. :)

Just ordered me a barnacle cluster from them along with a macro, on Wednesday. Got an email back saying he would get them out Tuesday. I'm hoping that was a mistype for Today or Wednesday since it there was still time for a priority shipment to get to me by Saturday. He never responded to my email about the date. So will see in a day or two what the answer is. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After over a year, I finally got my remote access and e-mail alerts working on the APEX.

Now, I just need to update the firmware.

Which would be easier if I actually had ethernet cables.

17 months ago when I first set it up, I believe I did. Took a lot of cursing and outside help, but it worked as a controller, and I could access it through my local wifi network. I never figured out how to do the remote access or set up the e-mail so they would work.

I went on the Apex forums and they were able to walk me through what was wrong. Tiny little things that I might have been able to figure out if I had any knowledge of networks beyond my plug'n'play wifi and wired router before that.

I know what you mean about the network. I have a bit of an advantage in that I work with that stuff all the time. For me, getting it onto the network was no problem. I did have difficulty with the email at first. It wouldn't send anything, and according to the debugging steps, wasn't even trying. I had to do a full reset and wipe all the memory and then it started working. Thinking of setting up a virtual plug on the Apex to kick every day or so to send a test email just to make sure the networking is still working.

My remote access problem was me not going to the right IP and port.

The first e-mail problem was trying to use GMX. The second was trusting that Comcast knows what its own SMTP settings are.

Actually, that wasn't the issue precisely. You can still use GMX, and I had never gotten a single e-mail, even when they played nicely with each other.

Knock on wood, but I just updated my Apex firmware, and it didn't crash.

:)

Now I need to get it back on wifi...

Woo hoo! Success!

What version of firmware did you update to? For the last several days, mine has been acting strange when trying to access it from my tablet using the web and android app. Kept getting network timeouts and dropped connections. I tried rebooting the unit and it shut down, but never came back up. Had to kill the power to get it back online. I'm worried the main unit may be faulty.

Is it strange that I spotted my first asterina today? I mean, the tank's "only" 17 months old and hasn't had a new addition besides CUC members in probably about a year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy crap! I have only seen one emerald (of the two) in my tank for a while, and only an elbow at that, since it hides in a crevice most of the time.

I just spotted it out and about, and it has doubled in size since it went in. I think the carapace might be two inches across. I hope it doesn't develop a taste for fish!

I was harvesting GHA in the tank and accidentally knocked over a rock. The two maximinis on the rock were pi$$ed. I learned that when it's time, getting the blue one off won't be a challenge, as it was practically racing around the rock as I was slowly rotating it. The red one, on the other hand... Dang thing was attached right where the two rocks make contact, and no matter how I turned it, or dangled it over the water, it wouldn't move more than 1/2" from where it had its foot.

The big green one which hasn't moved more than 2" in a year will probably be a pain, too. The 4th one (purple) has moved around the tank nearly continuously since it went in the tank, so I'm sure I'll be able to convince it to move, too.

Archived