Cultivated Reef

Biocube 29 w/LEDs: A learning experience.

Rollermonkey

Rollermonkey

Ah, see I don't do the ramp thing, either. If I need to acclimate with the JBJ, I just manually adjust a bit each day. What I like about it is the separate sliders for actinic and whites, so I can adjust color temperature to my preference.

Melissa, my tank is so heavily modded, I have no idea how loud it was out of the box. New pumps, new lighting, etc. Sorry!

• Like 1
  • Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rollermonkey

Ok. Reactor is online, tumbling 100ml of NPX biopellets. Skimmer is frothing away. 6-gallon water change finishes up the first Chemiclean treatment. Airstone will run a couple more days, just to be safe. Kessil is mounted, but not plugged in so I can do proper light acclimation.

inTank clam ring placed, with round frag disc in the middle. RODI is making water now, and I'll mix the salt in before going to bed. This water is to replace whatever gets used during the drip acclimation process tomorrow.

Morgan sent me tracking information earlier, and last I saw, my package is in Indianapolis.

I am just about ready.

Rollermonkey

Raggle fraggle.

I HATE FEDEX.

Delivery exception Resident not home or business closed.

I AAM RIGHT HERE AND THE APARTMENT MANAGER IS RIGHT NEXT TO THE FRONT DOOR.

Damn straight they're going to do a redeliver TODAY.

raggle fraggle.

Rollermonkey

Clowns surprisingly let me catch a picture today.

P1000542_zps5f688d2f.jpg

The pedestal...

P1000543_zpsc21ab02a.jpg

Two frags of Tubb's Birdsnest, just because it's so nice.

P1000544_zps5a05fbf1.jpg

The mystery frag appears to possibly be a turquoise trumpet, which would be funny, because when I ordered a frag of that, I got some skeletons that seem to be coloring up as kryptonite trumpets...

P1000545_zps4425890c.jpg

Despite swirling in the shipping bag, a ten minute medicated dip and 5 minutes of swirling in clean salt water, one minute after dropping these xenias in the DT, a single, tiny, oerfectly round GBA was under the drooping fronds. (I quickly sucked it out with the turkey baster intact.)

P1000546_zpsa3e3ca10.jpg

Here's what the Reef Gardener order was really all about, a turquoise / zebra striped Tridacna Maxima.

P1000548_zpsee35db03.jpg

P1000547_zps6c012da9.jpg

Hopefully the 2.5 hour acclimation process wasn't completely erased by me dropping it underwater onto the slope on the back of the mushroom shaped rock and right into my Duncan. :wacko::scarry:

So, yeah. This should be the last livestock purchase, coral, fish or invert, unless something dies or I get a bigger tank.

Updated FTS:

P1000550_zpsd74843c3.jpg

• Like 1

This morning, before I left for school, I did a quick look around.

Xenias are already significantly less droopy.

Polyps on the birdsnest are still nicely extended.

Trumpet looks the same as yesterday, but still way better than the first frag.

Clam had closed partially during the night, but by morning was open nicely. Exhalent siphon is a nice cone shape. Inhalant siphon is open narrowly, but better than in the shipping bag. Color looks good, and it reacted quickly to shadowing, even with only actinics on. (Whites come on at noon, off at 7pm)

Yeah. It works for me.

I didn't want to get some uber-gorgeous $300 clam and then accidentally kill it with noob-power, but I didn't want something so ugly that I didn't care if it died, either. This seems like a nice balance. Pretty enough, but not super expensive.

Jiminy Christmas.

Earlier today, I noticed that some of the bryopsis looked like it was turning white.

Yay, right?

Fast forward five hours and the tank looks like I just dumped a 15 pound bag of sand into the tank.

Where the heck did this cloud come from? I can't even see from one side to the other. I changed the floss and made sure the return pump strainer is clear... I was going to do a WC tonight anyways, so I'll proceed with that... But otherwise, I'm at a loss.

You want postage?

Don't forget to put KGoldy's minimaxi in the box.

;)

HA. Everybody wants his minimaxi. He has some martini carpets I might have to get, don't know where I would put them is the problem. lol.

Jiminy Christmas.

Earlier today, I noticed that some of the bryopsis looked like it was turning white.

Yay, right?

Fast forward five hours and the tank looks like I just dumped a 15 pound bag of sand into the tank.

Where the heck did this cloud come from? I can't even see from one side to the other. I changed the floss and made sure the return pump strainer is clear... I was going to do a WC tonight anyways, so I'll proceed with that... But otherwise, I'm at a loss.

Did you figure out what happened??? I wonder if you had some Ca precipitate??

Yeah, between Albert's thread and the one I made, the two theories were bacterial bloom or calcium precipitate.

Calcium precipitate seems to be less likely as a theory because increased magnesium should increase the amount of calcium that can be held in solution, and others have raised the magnesium higher than I had without precipitate.

Bacterial bloom seemed odd to some due to the white color, but since whatever it was seems to have exploded and receded in about 48 hours, that theory seems even more likely now. The supposition is that the bacteria were feeding on the decaying bryopsis, but have exceeded the population sustainable as the bryopsis begins to recede.

When I get home from school today, I'll get to see if the outbreak came back with the daytime lighting or not, but I'd suspect that the bacteria was non-photosynthetic.

Eddie's going to laugh at me for how slow I adjust tank things, but here goes:

I plugged the Kessil into the outlet on the Apex I had been using for the refugium light. Since the chaeto was pretty much all gone, I unplugged the fuge light and reprogrammed the Kessil to be on for two hours in the early afternoon.

The JBJ will still run the normal hours, and I'll continue to use the actinic lighting from it.

Eddie, you're right. The A150 10K isn't quite blue enough. I'll bet the 15K is too blue.

Shipped ya some soup today omgomgomg
Soup's on. I mean in. I don't think they survived, but there were a couple small worms in there. Since I still don't have any, I tossed them in, too. I also spent about an hour doing manual removal of my bryopsis outbreak. Yay.

Oh, and I saw a nerite on my clam's shell. Before I even though about it, I grabbed the snail.

Yeah, picked up the clam by the snail, and the frag disc came up too.

Good news is I figured out that my clam has attached. Bad news is I didn't support the frag disc at the same time.

Here's hoping it is light enough that I didn't injure the byssal gland.

:(

Soup's on. I mean in. I don't think they survived, but there were a couple small worms in there. Since I still don't have any, I tossed them in, too. I also spent about an hour doing manual removal of my bryopsis outbreak. Yay.

Oh, and I saw a nerite on my clam's shell. Before I even though about it, I grabbed the snail.

Yeah, picked up the clam by the snail, and the frag disc came up too.

Good news is I figured out that my clam has attached. Bad news is I didn't support the frag disc at the same time.

Here's hoping it is light enough that I didn't injure the byssal gland.

:(

oh good, I was about to ask if it arrived. I didn't see the worms when I filled the baggie, I guess they must have been inside the snail shells because they did not have snails in them for sure.

Let's see how the soup works.

Did it rip the byssal threads?

Did it rip the byssal threads?

I'm pretty sure it didn't. The threads are super short, less than 1/4". The frag disc is right up against the shell, and didn't wiggle at all. I'm more concerned with if too much pressure was applied to the byssal gland.

Archived