Coral Vue Hydros

Biocube 29 w/LEDs: A learning experience.

Rollermonkey

No reason to update the FTS. from farther away, you can't see anything interesting yet. In a week, when I move the Helfrichi from the QT to the DT, I'll take a new FTS.

Oh, and after I bought a pouch of pods, but before I dumped them in the tank, what do you think I finally saw?

Yup, pods. That was a waste of $20.

haha

perfect... well atleast the pods have some shelf life, so if the population gets all ate you can replenish.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rollermonkey

Too late, dumped them in anyways.

Finally got tired of clear skimmate from the 115 and made what should be the final mod to the tank.

Here is how to fit an AquaClear 115 skimmer into an Oceanic BioBube 29 HQI and get it high enough to make it work:

P1000213.jpg

P1000212.jpg

Rollermonkey

New FTS

P1000217.jpg

Another

P1000218.jpg

Looking through to the arch

P1000219.jpg

Trying to show the mushroom cap of the central piece of LR.

P1000220.jpg

I think this one shows that mushroom better, but it's still hard to make out.

P1000221.jpg

The water looks GOOD with the new purigen and chemipure I added last night.

Rollermonkey

OMG.

I totally understand why people hate doing QT. Sooooo tired of all these water changes, I'm doing 67% (5 gallons) every 2-4 days depending on my schedule.

I'm going out of town next Friday to Sunday, so Herfy the Helfrichi (NOT the final name) will be moving to the DT a couple days early. I've seen no reason to go the full 4 weeks, it's gorgeous, eating well, active and I'm not going to be able to get the wife to do a WC while I'm away. I'll do another WC on Tuesday and acclimate him to the DT on Thursday.

Wife will feed some cyclopeeze while I'm away, and I think I'll take a week before ordering my Blue Assessor.

Rollermonkey

Thank you for the consolation. I will be a good reefer and do my QT correctly.

(doesn't mean I have to <3 it)

Rollermonkey

Well, I had seen a couple hermits upgrade shells, but hadn't seen a molt until today. I guess everything is doing OK enough in there.

Helfrichi moves from QT to DT tomorrow.

:D

Rollermonkey

This poor Florida can't catch a break. Not only is there a bunch of barnacles and an oyster riding it's back, but a dwarf cerith is catching a lift too?

P1000228.jpg

Before QT:

P1000195.jpg

After QT:

P1000227.jpg

Now, tell me that fish isn't gorgeous.

Rollermonkey

Glad I took a picture before putting it in the DT. HF found a hole I hadn't even noticed. At least I can get down and see that it's in there.

P1000233.jpg

P1000230.jpg

P1000231.jpg

Rollermonkey

Found out that even though ORA lists Blue Assessors on the website, they rarely if ever successfully breed them and thus, don't have any available.

Therefore the LFS loses out on another sale, and Live Aquaria gets my business again. Looking ahead, they (the LFS) might be able to get the Dracula Goby and definitely the Randall's Pistol Shrimp and the tank-bred Ocellaris Clownfish are no problem there.

Assessor has been ordered, and will be here Saturday.

Rollermonkey

Aside from a "Nemo" for my 2YO daughter, the other three fish are all intended to be either less common or interesting or both.

Rollermonkey

Blue is now eating mysis shrimp like there's no tomorrow. I've tried getting it to eat the cyclopeeze three times with no luck so far.

I was surprised that it will actually pluck the shrimp off of the bottom of the QT and eat it. At least I don't have to siphon the excess out.

Rollermonkey

So, both fish eat the IO brine shrimp, the assessor doesn't touch cyclopeeze but the firefish loves it. The firefish won't touch mysis shrimp, but the assessor loves it.

Interesting.

Rollermonkey

Noticed something last night on my glass... Tonight, after perusing the "Ultimate ID Thread" I've decided that I have spirorbis!

Yay for good stuff.

:D

Rollermonkey

"Weblines" from a vermetid snail have been spotted. No other sign of the creature yet, though.

Also may have started to get either some very tiny stomatellas or clear flatworms. They are only about 1mm in length and virtually clear. I see them moving along the glass in a gastropod type motion...

Someone's been a bad tank-daddy. I kind of overfed the QT and went too long between WC's.

I don't know how high the ammonia went, but I've done 67% water changes 3 days in a row and only fed once/day at the same time, and went with 1/3 the previous quantity. Good thing Blue Assessors are hardy. He'd probably have been a goner otherwise.

OK, so noob/dummy move here.

I thought that my QT, a Mr. Aqua 7.5 cube held 7.5 gallons. Makes sense, right?

After measuring the inside dimensions, including not actually filling the water to the tip top, I came up with:

29cm x 29cm x 27.5cm = 23,2175 cm^3 or, 23.2175 liters.

That converts to a drop over 6.1 gallons.

That sure explains why when I do a 5 gallon water change, the tank only has about 2 inches of water in it...

I'm doing an 82% water change, not 67%.

lol

Yeah, these are mine and will be on the way next Tuesday:

lg-0907121-136s.jpg

I guess you gotta jump quick on the Diver's Den stuff. Last time this pairing was available, it was sold before I even opened the e-mail.

So, I'm sitting next to my DT, drip acclimating the Blue Assessor from the QT to the DT, just peeking around, right?

I look down at the "shell graveyard" where all the extra shells for the hermits seem to drift towards and I'm wondering if the nerite shell is new, maybe killed by a hermit, when I notice motion just under the edge of a piece of LR. I hunker down and see a hermit, struggling with something. At first, I wonder if it's killed another hermit, when I realize he's climbing out of his skin and back into his shell.

Not 5 seconds later, just as I wonder if I can focus a camera on this, when he starts scrambling away from the molt. Sorry I didn't get to take video, but it was a pretty cool thing to see in action.

Molting hermits are happy hermits, right?

Archived