Coral Vue Hydros

ZephNYC

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey...I know people that will buy a DEAD pink clam from you if it is not dead more than 2 days. You have to kill one if you want to spawn clams.

:o

explain please.

:o

explain please.

Well, since you asked I will.l try to explain. You can force a clam to spawn within minutes. What you have to do is put the clam alone in a tank with no flow or filtration. Then you take your sacrificial clam, which carries whatever genetics you wish to continue - and sacrifice it. you have to take a long sharp knife and scape all the meat out. THen you locate the gonads, which are pretty easy to find. They are a dark colored sponge like sack. You simply hold this up close to the intake of the clam you want to spawn, and squeeze it a little.Aa milky white substance will leach into the clam and within minutes force a spawn of millions of larvae. Raising those is another story.

No I have not done this myself.

yet

Well, since you asked I will.l try to explain. You can force a clam to spawn within minutes. What you have to do is put the clam alone in a tank with no flow or filtration. Then you take your sacrificial clam, which carries whatever genetics you wish to continue - and sacrifice it. you have to take a long sharp knife and scape all the meat out. THen you locate the gonads, which are pretty easy to find. They are a dark colored sponge like sack. You simply hold this up close to the intake of the clam you want to spawn, and squeeze it a little.Aa milky white substance will leach into the clam and within minutes force a spawn of millions of larvae. Raising those is another story.

yet

pardon the type o's its past my bed time

yet

Crazy.... and would probably work too. Expensive to try though, unless you've got a dead clamn on your hands.

Crazy.... and would probably work too. Expensive to try though, unless you've got a dead clamn on your hands.

Oh it works. THats exactly how the big farms do it. I have a video if you want to see. Its OLD, like from the late 80's. I will look for it tonight. The thing is the larvea are almost impossible to raise without natural seawater circulation. I have never heard of anyone having success in a closed system.

YET

You could have done this with the maxima from LA.

Yea another dead clam from LA. I dont think anyone has had success with their larger maximas. Nobody I know anyway. But Im so stubborn I keep buying them. HELP ME.

Isn't that a very very old method though? I was under the impression that just pissing it off with quick temp or salinity swings will make the clam spawn?

Bongo Shrimp
Yea another dead clam from LA. I dont think anyone has had success with their larger maximas. Nobody I know anyway. But Im so stubborn I keep buying them. HELP ME.

How large is larger?

Isn't that a very very old method though? I was under the impression that just pissing it off with quick temp or salinity swings will make the clam spawn?

youre right. They will spawn from as severe stress response too. Some farmers lay the clams in the sun for like an hour till they are almost dead, then put them in the water and they spawn. You can also inject them with pharmaceutical gonadotrophin, if you can get it and know just where to inject. They have spawned in aquariums many times on their own too..usually right after the lights go off but it is too unpredictable to rely on.

How large is larger?

everyone i know who has purchased a maxima larger than 5 inches from LA has lost it within 3 months. Dont get me wrong, i LOVE LA...but these are the facts as i see them.

I dont think temp or salinity change will do it...not enough stress. Sounds too easy.

youre right. They will spawn from as severe stress response too. Some farmers lay the clams in the sun for like an hour till they are almost dead, then put them in the water and they spawn. You can also inject them with pharmaceutical gonadotrophin, if you can get it and know just where to inject. They have spawned in aquariums many times on their own too..usually right after the lights go off but it is too unpredictable to rely on.

everyone i know who has purchased a maxima larger than 5 inches from LA has lost it within 3 months. Dont get me wrong, i LOVE LA...but these are the facts as i see them.

I dont think temp or salinity change will do it...not enough stress. Sounds too easy.

kat will post the video. I'm retarded.

Bongo Shrimp

Oh from LA. I was gonna say cause I've had my 5.5" maxima for about a year now.

MeanGreenEyes

yet

Hehe...sounds so perverted! lmao

And the video is very interesting...

On a serious note...Gorgeous clams...definitely eye candy...love the variety of colors and those are some kick ass tunicates...

Oh from LA. I was gonna say cause I've had my 5.5" maxima for about a year now.

Thats great..If I were you I would never put a clam from LA in that tank.

Bongo Shrimp
Thats great..If I were you I would never put a clam from LA in that tank.

Thanks I won't. They are way overpriced anyways.

Zeph meet Bongo. Bongo, meet Zeph,

You both like:

Cuttlefish

Candy Basslet pairs

Clams.

:grouphug:.

Hi Bongo. Where in MI are you? I have friends in Ispheming

Bongo Shrimp

I'm ~20 mins out from the D. Ispheming is a little far. Even if there was a LFS out there ;).

If I ever come out to NY I wanna see your setup :).

I'm selling tickets to Zephs ZooHaus.

I take paypal.

No touching the displays.

You got it bongo. Yea Ispheming is OUT THERE. I've seen it get 10 below 0 in the winter. Near the Great Lakes I believe.

My tanks look empty to me...I have this vision of what I want them to look like, but I'm glad you are all somewhat impressed. Keeps me enthusiastic.

Scalper! hmpf! I'm the official ticket sales person for Zephs ZooHaus; now with rabbit as a new exhibit.

Or you could go to Tahiti after you are scuba certified to see the giant clams. -_-

Zeph the 210 is overflowing and I know you want to give me everything in there...... fingerscrossed

but I have a nano :rolleyes:

Zeph, start a thread in "members aquariums" section called Zeph's ZooHaus. I'll upload pics.

Archived