Top Shelf Aquatics

Angler Away! - Wartskin Macro Tank

ccapasso

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this tank going to live in your office?

Yup. This thing will stay in my office.

Woot! Good call on the substrate, that stuff looks nice.

Thanks! I think it'll work out well. Will probably be a day or two before everything is cleared up though.

I did return the bulkhead and exchanged it for a new one. This one looks good and should be put on tomorrow.

Installed the bulkhead and loc-line this morning. Pump is hooked up and running as well. I know this thing is rated for 245gph but it doesn't seem like it is pushing out much. Maybe that is due to the Y-Split for the loc-line.

I'm getting good circulation and water is going over the overflow quite nicely. Everything is super quiet.

May have to add something for additional water movement or upgrade to a bigger return pump.

Water is clearing up but still pretty cloudy. I can see some of the rock now though :).

Question about setting up fuge in the back:

The back AIO section is setup as follows:

From left to right:

Overflow - Baffle - Baffle - Fuge - Baffle - Baffle - Return

I was thinking about using the Fuge section for Mangroves and Chaeto. My thought was to put some sand back there and then the mangroves and chaeto.

That make sense?

Islandoftiki

I'm not sure about the sand. I'd skip having sand in the rear compartment. And to be honest, mangroves don't really hold a candle to other macro algae. Their growth rate is so slow, they don't do that much nutrient export. Unless you like the aesthetics of the mangroves, they aren't that useful. I took mine out. Here's a good Article on Mangroves.

My choice would be to use as much chaeto as possible. If you're going to be running a 24/7 fuge light, you might consider caulerpa. It's faster growing than chaeto, but if you don't run a 24/7 fuge light, it can go asexual and cloud up your water.

That's my two cents.

I'm not sure about the sand. I'd skip having sand in the rear compartment. And to be honest, mangroves don't really hold a candle to other macro algae. Their growth rate is so slow, they don't do that much nutrient export. Unless you like the aesthetics of the mangroves, they aren't that useful. I took mine out. Here's a good Article on Mangroves.

My choice would be to use as much chaeto as possible. If you're going to be running a 24/7 fuge light, you might consider caulerpa. It's faster growing than chaeto, but if you don't run a 24/7 fuge light, it can go asexual and cloud up your water.

That's my two cents.

agreed with all of it.

Jacob042426
I like mangroves ;)

me too. i have been able to get amazing growth on my mangroves and they have definetly made a big difference in my nutrient export.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info/suggestions all.

I'll plan on not putting sand back there. I am already running chaeto in the back and will continue to do so. Will probably add a few mangroves as the fuge light is not on 24/7.

Still on the fence about getting an MP10. I'm wondering how much water movement is really necessary? I don't want to do a korolia as the cord would be an unsightly thing. That leaves me with only the choice of doing an mp10.

I guess my main thought would be, what would I gain by adding one? Simply more flow/water movement? Would it help with surface water agitation (not to much of that right now)?

With my gift cards, I can get a new mp10 for about $150 right now :). If I do get one, I want to get it before I put the mantis in.

jedimasterben
Thanks for the info/suggestions all.

I'll plan on not putting sand back there. I am already running chaeto in the back and will continue to do so. Will probably add a few mangroves as the fuge light is not on 24/7.

Still on the fence about getting an MP10. I'm wondering how much water movement is really necessary? I don't want to do a korolia as the cord would be an unsightly thing. That leaves me with only the choice of doing an mp10.

I guess my main thought would be, what would I gain by adding one? Simply more flow/water movement? Would it help with surface water agitation (not to much of that right now)?

With my gift cards, I can get a new mp10 for about $150 right now :). If I do get one, I want to get it before I put the mantis in.

If you decide you won't get one, PM and let's work something out. :)

Islandoftiki

I know you don't want too much flow with a mantis or s/he will get blown all over the tank. They seem a little clumsy out in the open with too much current.

The nice thing about the MP10 is it's totally adjustable and can recreate a changing flow rate like you'd experience in the ocean. Plus they're quiet, look good and it's just the right thing to do. You'll end up upgrading to one later anyhow. Just get it now.

If you decide you won't get one, PM and let's work something out. :)

I know you don't want too much flow with a mantis or s/he will get blown all over the tank. They seem a little clumsy out in the open with too much current.

The nice thing about the MP10 is it's totally adjustable and can recreate a changing flow rate like you'd experience in the ocean. Plus they're quiet, look good and it's just the right thing to do. You'll end up upgrading to one later anyhow. Just get it now.

You mean this?

LFnIu.png

Islandoftiki
You mean this?

You'll be glad you went with the MP10. It's just light years ahead of anything else.

I wanted to add a second powerhead to my tank, so I got a Koralia nano 240 and put it in. It's the smallest not-mp10 powerhead out there and it's too bulky. Plus I would have had to go with the 420 for it to have any effect with the MP10 in there. I took it out. I'll just use it to mix salt. I'll just save up and put a second MP10 in there.

Investing in things like MP10's and ReefKeeper type items aren't a bad investment since they're the first thing that will sell if you ever break your tank down and get rid of it.... not that you will. Plus, they can be transferred to a new bigger tank.

Good point on the re-sell. Although considering what all is being put into this tank, I don't plan on selling it anytime soon.

Added the last bit of rock rubble today. Avast ATO installed but not hooked up (need longer tubing for pump). New heater installed.

And....

New FTS:

QJryG.jpg

Thanks. The pic really doesn't do it justice. Now I have to wait for a cycle...But I suppose to start one I better bring some rock from home.

Although, I did use live sand and water from the Pico :P...Hmm...wonder what the cycle will be like this time.

Looks amazing. But I expected that from you. :-)

Ha! Thanks. The only thing I'm not happy about is my new heater. It is taller than the tank, but I have it turned on its side and in the middle section of the back AIO. It should work fine there.

Btw...I added you to the Official Mantis Shrimp Owners Thread :P

Archived